Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Memories. How do they work?

I'm not entirely sure where this should go. So here it is! XD

I notice a lot of people mention memories and I was always super confused as to what that was until I actually found it in-game the other day.

Lemme see if I have this right.

It's basically a household photo album? You can write captions too, I saw. And if you make a screenshot a memory an emotion tags to it?! Can you change the emotion or does it just emote how your Sim is feeling when the picture is taken? Also, I saw you could tag Sims to it as well. How does that work!? I noticed I could only tag the Sim I was currently playing but I couldn't tag her friend if I happen to take a picture of both of them. Is there a way to tag multiple Sims or am I just blind? Or does it only tag your household?!

Sorry for the barrage of questions, guess I'm feeling a tad chatty as of late. :P I'd love to know how YOU use memories if you use them at all.
Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89

Comments

• Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I thought the memories were gone with some patch a while ago.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    Frn0731 wrote: »
    I thought the memories were gone with some patch a while ago.

I dunno. Unless they redid them but I was playing a few hours ago they're there under the camera lens icon, next to the Play and Fast Forward buttons.
  • Options
    Audio_5urfAudio_5urf Posts: 655 Member
    edited June 2016
    @Frn0731 they're within the screenshot manager. You can make your screenies a memory. Same place you'd go to share it to social media.

I used to never take screenies, would always keep the story in my head.. .but now I'm having fun with taking pictures for the memories.. only downside is that it fills up your screenshot folder to the extremes and have had to take it out and generate a new one when it gets too big..

here's an old screenie I pulled off my FB album from when I made Eliza have twins for wasting my time. Such a fun memory.

well.. fun for me. uncomfortable for her
    56ebea97-55a8-4847-a957-b3e8060941dd_zps1zngvzep.jpg
    Lets make The Sims 4 great again!
    -- Origin ID: Audio5urf --
    Feel free to add me, and check out my gallery shenanigans.
  • Options
    Audio_5urf wrote: »
    @Frn0731 they're within the screenshot manager. You can make your screenies a memory. Same place you'd go to share it to social media.

I used to never take screenies, would always keep the story in my head.. .but now I'm having fun with taking pictures for the memories.. only downside is that it fills up your screenshot folder to the extremes and have had to take it out and generate a new one when it gets too big..

here's an old screenie I pulled off my FB album from when I made Eliza have twins for wasting my time. Such a fun memory.

well.. fun for me. uncomfortable for her

That made me giggle ^

Yeah, that's a pretty neat idea and I can imagine how packed it would get. It would be quite nice if it separated your screenshots/memories in folders and named them after your families. That would keep things organized
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I am going to check that out , I remember saving memories when the game first came out and then It seemed to disappear. So I guess it was just moved. Thank you for letting me know . :)
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I never even knew there were memories in TS4?
  • Options
    AshlieBoomAshlieBoom Posts: 143 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    I never even knew there were memories in TS4?

Ditto! looks like I will have to head in game to check this out...

• Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    Every time I encounter this thread I think for a brief moment that you're referring to the 'reminisce about emotional memory' functionality but it doesn't look like they've actually done anything with it.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    fabemefabeme Posts: 830 Member
    I don't use it because I hate how it works. I can't change the emotion saved with the picture. Did a great picture of a love scene, but one of the sim was inspired, which became the emotion of the picture. Also, can't tag the Sims I want. It automatically tag all sims in my household and I can't add sims on other lots even if they are there, like two lovers. Only the one in the household will be tag.
    Sims 3 and Origin Username: fabeme
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    @fabeme Same
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I really miss the memories section that was there in 2; I used to enjoy looking through them and, well, remembering.
    I wish 4 had a similar option.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Originally when "The Sims 4" was first launched you could not only use a short description to what is going on in the memory system but you could choose the emotions of your Sims and when they reminiscent about it they would feel the emotion of that particular memory and unlike The Sims 3 memories where you were limited to only 300 you could create as many memories as possible to tell your story and to relieve old times but unfortunately the December 2015 butchered it to literally nothing! The December 2015 changed the memory system where you are no longer allowed to choose the emotion of your Sim as it's replaced with an auto emotion system where when you take a screenshot of the new memory your forced to go with the emotion the Sim is feeling at the time or you can't create the memory at all. You are literally forced to play how EA sees it or nothing. Your choice to chose the appropriate emotion is gone! And this was literally done for no reason at all. This quickly complicates things as this can easily conflict with the actual situation.

I remember my Sim being abducted after the new memory system was in place and usually I would put angry or sad but I was forced to say he was happy about it. If I didn't like it I can't even use it as a memory. In addition to how it is now. All screenshots from photography skill, to memories, and normal screenshots from every household you play are bunched into a single file making it the most unorganized mess the team as ever created. Would you like a separate folder for each of your households. Too bad cause that feature is gone! And what's worst even if you play with a single household the memories/screenshots are not in order so if your trying to tell a story your story will go all over the place. In my opinion I was so furious they took away my game play I stopped playing The Sims 4 for a while and struggled on and off since on playing it as being forced to not use the memory system anymore because EA decided to take away our "freedom to choose" became quite uneasy and unfair. And what's worst is this was not even needed. They took a system that worked to a system that clearly is a huge mess. As of today I am once again leaving The Sims 4. Partially due to technical difficulties although based on today's bug patch it looks like my issue is fixed but I feel like I'm paying to much money for a game that's not only taken away how I play as a "storyteller" but is in theory telling you how to play rather then letting you do it yourself so I'm going back to The Sims 2 (awesome memory system with story mode that is a huge feature for storytellers) at a time way before this forced game play was placed upon us. In my opinion the golden age of The Sims 4 memory system is long gone because EA decided it was simply to much freedom for us to have! To this day I'm not really completely over it!
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    fabeme wrote: »
    I don't use it because I hate how it works. I can't change the emotion saved with the picture. Did a great picture of a love scene, but one of the sim was inspired, which became the emotion of the picture. Also, can't tag the Sims I want. It automatically tag all sims in my household and I can't add sims on other lots even if they are there, like two lovers. Only the one in the household will be tag.

Same. #teambringbacktheoldsystem
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Audio_5urfAudio_5urf Posts: 655 Member
    and if vaguely remember right.. in TS2 you could order the screenies in a household storybook.. which i liked doing

idk, i just take the plum folder and organize it myself when i pull it out. I set the order by date and since i focus on one household a day.. makes it kind easy to split it after that.
    Lets make The Sims 4 great again!
    -- Origin ID: Audio5urf --
    Feel free to add me, and check out my gallery shenanigans.
  • Options
    fabemefabeme Posts: 830 Member
    Originally when "The Sims 4" was first launched you could not only use a short description to what is going on in the memory system but you could choose the emotions of your Sims and when they reminiscent about it they would feel the emotion of that particular memory and unlike The Sims 3 memories where you were limited to only 300 you could create as many memories as possible to tell your story and to relieve old times but unfortunately the December 2015 butchered it to literally nothing! The December 2015 changed the memory system where you are no longer allowed to choose the emotion of your Sim as it's replaced with an auto emotion system where when you take a screenshot of the new memory your forced to go with the emotion the Sim is feeling at the time or you can't create the memory at all. You are literally forced to play how EA sees it or nothing. Your choice to chose the appropriate emotion is gone! And this was literally done for no reason at all. This quickly complicates things as this can easily conflict with the actual situation.

I remember my Sim being abducted after the new memory system was in place and usually I would put angry or sad but I was forced to say he was happy about it. If I didn't like it I can't even use it as a memory. In addition to how it is now. All screenshots from photography skill, to memories, and normal screenshots from every household you play are bunched into a single file making it the most unorganized mess the team as ever created. Would you like a separate folder for each of your households. Too bad cause that feature is gone! And what's worst even if you play with a single household the memories/screenshots are not in order so if your trying to tell a story your story will go all over the place. In my opinion I was so furious they took away my game play I stopped playing The Sims 4 for a while and struggled on and off since on playing it as being forced to not use the memory system anymore because EA decided to take away our "freedom to choose" became quite uneasy and unfair. And what's worst is this was not even needed. They took a system that worked to a system that clearly is a huge mess. As of today I am once again leaving The Sims 4. Partially due to technical difficulties although based on today's bug patch it looks like my issue is fixed but I feel like I'm paying to much money for a game that's not only taken away how I play as a "storyteller" but is in theory telling you how to play rather then letting you do it yourself so I'm going back to The Sims 2 (awesome memory system with story mode that is a huge feature for storytellers) at a time way before this forced game play was placed upon us. In my opinion the golden age of The Sims 4 memory system is long gone because EA decided it was simply to much freedom for us to have! To this day I'm not really completely over it!

Now I understand! I had the felling that in the past, we could change the emotion of the pictures, but I wasn't sure if I was just imagining things. I just don't understand why they changed it! I used it before, not anymore. Also it's true that having all households in the same folder is a total mess.
    Sims 3 and Origin Username: fabeme
  • Options
    Wazowski_VegetaWazowski_Vegeta Posts: 35 Member
    @DegrassiGen Oh I feel you, I had the same problem with my sims, I had cool albums going on , and then they changed it. Myabe if we ask if they could bring it back they will eventually, but who knows. :(
  • Options
    I do wish we had a little more say in the memory collection, honestly. I'd love for it to be sort of like a scrapbook style kind of thing. Or at the very least give us the option to set emotions to each picture, as well as tag any nearby Sims. What would be really neat is if our Sims could share/show a picture to another Sim. That would be nice. If they improved the memory system I'm sure a lot of Simmers would actually know it exists haha. We'll have to tweet the Gurus or something asking for better/more memory features. :3
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »

Same. #teambringbacktheoldsystem

That would be good on a t-shirt.
  • Options
    CharlieGothCharlieGoth Posts: 192 Member
    TS2 memories were awesome. TS3 memories were ok. They ruined TS4 memories.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    @CharlieGoth Mostly agreed except I thought Sims 3 memories were great except for the 300 limit. Other then that I can create my own memories and see a snapshot of it. The Sims 4 wrecked this with no apologies!
  • Options
    Snapshots can work as memories - I like to copy the images to my pictures for when I want a trip down memory sim lane.
  • Options
    DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,762 Member
    I just posted something about this. Also completely boggled as to why they would add a feature into a game and then remove it with no explanation or intent to bring it back!?
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    Rubidium91Rubidium91 Posts: 33 Member
    What I really hate the most is how my screenshots somehow become all mixed up; like the order they appear in the album is different than the order I took them. It's a nightmare for going back through to look what I've done. Example - my Pascal Curious appears in the folder to give birth to his baby before he's even been abducted... anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,762 Member
    Rubidium91 wrote: »
    What I really hate the most is how my screenshots somehow become all mixed up; like the order they appear in the album is different than the order I took them. It's a nightmare for going back through to look what I've done. Example - my Pascal Curious appears in the folder to give birth to his baby before he's even been abducted... anyone else have this problem?

Yes mine are jumbled as well. They are also all mixed up with everyone else's so they will share memories with their neighbours. My sim has a memory of a friends first love!
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    aclavoaclavo Posts: 1,517 Member
    I understand players wanting the choice of selecting a false emotion for the memory snapshot, but it makes more sense if the memory captures the true emotion of the sim at the time. Otherwise, it's not a true memory.