Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    Simcraft81 wrote: »
    @SeaDragonSong I get that feeling that nobody likes my work as well. It can be frustrating when you want to share something you're proud of yet no feedback. I love to create things and I'll still do what I love even if its for myself :) I'd like to check out your work if you have a link and want feedback. This goes for everyone else as well. Here is a link to my sims work if you're interested
    www.simcraft81.blogspot.com

Ok, my current story is linked in my signature. :) TY!
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    Have you guys joined one of the reading circles? I think they're a great way to get to know people while getting and giving feedback.
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
  • StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    Yeah, it's ok. It's really not been as bad on this site as the other one, and I guess it's because more people share my interests here lol (just a guess though)

You should hang out with us in the Writer's lounge... if you do already I'm sorry. I recognize your avi from commenting on someone's thread, A2A maybe? But I don't remember seeing you there. It's a great group.
    Have you guys joined one of the reading circles? I think they're a great way to get to know people while getting and giving feedback.

Yes the reading circles are great. I'm in the Speed Readers Circle. I'd also suggest a reading buddy (or two depending on how many stories you have) someone you can show your work you're concerned about before it's published.
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    @CathyTea *hugs, many hugs* Thank you, very much a lot.

I took that test you linked a couple pages ago, and it said that my purpose for being creative was to help and to create positive change and that sort of thing

So telling me "Just write for yourself and it shouldn't matter if anyone ever responds" isn't helpful, because I don't write for myself. I need to feel like what I write has some purpose and point outside of myself.

And the only skill I have 10 points in is writing, so that's the only thing I have to give. So it's important to me that it be a worthy present, that there is some point in giving it.

Actually my next highest skill would be photography, at maybe a 4 or 5, and then after that I'm lucky if I can scrounge up 2 points in any of the other skills, lol.

Is this the part you mean, about the darkness and its longing for the human?
    Sometimes I whisper into the maze.

I tell the hedges many things. I tell them about the human, about the walks we took together. I tell them about fishing the human out of the deep blue, and what that took from me. I tell them about the human’s one skin, and all the universes it holds inside itself.

I slip through the shadows of the hedgemouths, but they do not move. The maze does not answer.

I arrive at an end of the hedges. The leaves rustle as a breeze blows through.

I thought the human would be here, at the end. I thought that if I made it through the maze I would see the human again, but there’s only a tree and a rock and high stone walls.

I step out of the shadows and into the light, and the light burns and burns, and I scream for the human. I scream and scream and it burns and I run the burning into the tree, over and over, and finally the tree is burning too and it is screaming and I am screaming and we are at an edge, but this is not the end.

The breeze picks up embers from our burning. It carries them to the hedges. The teethleaves begin to blacken and curl in on themselves.

I scream, “Where is the human? Where is it?!”

The blackened hedgemouths open and close, open and close, but only smoke comes out.

The maze does not answer.

Probably not. You said begins. *searches through earlier chapters*

Anyway, what you said really does mean a lot. Thank you.

*squints at the excerpt*

I used too much alliteration in that line with all the sl and sh sounds, didn't I? Makes it too obvious. But I do need the repetition of the imagery of the hedgemouths, and how they have teethleaves that are quite sharp.

Edited it and took out one of the sl words, but left both the sh words. That'll work for now, I guess.

Nope, it didn't. Took out the second sh word too.

@ValoisFulcanelli I like that story. It's how like when I pick up the worms that I see that are still alive on the sidewalk and move them.

It gets to me sometimes though that you can't control how open someone else is to the beauty you create. Not as much as it used to, because I've learned a lot about humans and how their tastes and prejudices and attitudes are formed. Still though, it does kind of hurt knowing how many people will never even give my work a chance.

*squints some more at the excerpt*

Well, I guess it doesn't matter, because what I write is not beautiful or good.

Hiyeee! :) (I'm all smiley today..)

It's here, where we first start realizing that the darkness is capable of relating to the human and wishing for what might actually be a friendship (which I just realized, thematically, is so very similar to Tad's feelings towards Amelia in @RipuAncestor 's Chrysanthemum Tango):
    I find the human. It is still at the edge of the other universe. It thinks it hurt my feelings. It wants me to come back. But I can’t.

Going back would hurt more.

I close the link to its thoughts. Goodbye, human.

I make a breeze. I send it off through the trees. Now there is noise. Not much, but enough. I make insects too. They buzz as they fly around the light.

This skin, this foggy grayness with all its limbs, is not suitable. It fades in and out, and when it fades out I see what is really there.

I am weak. I gave too much to the human. Far too much.

But I wanted it with me.

And why should it get to be free, when I don’t? Why should it get to just leave, to not have to feel the void within itself? When that’s all I ever wanted, but I can’t have it. It shouldn’t get to have it either.

This is from Separate Skins, https://medleymisty.wordpress.com/2015/04/10/separate-skins/

Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    Yeah, it's ok. It's really not been as bad on this site as the other one, and I guess it's because more people share my interests here lol (just a guess though)

You should hang out with us in the Writer's lounge... if you do already I'm sorry. I recognize your avi from commenting on someone's thread, A2A maybe? But I don't remember seeing you there. It's a great group.

Nope, I haven't been there yet, but I'll certainly check it out :)
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    Hi! I just wanted to pop in and say that I really like this idea and I like how this discussion is going! Such wonderful people here. Okay, I'll be going back to lurker-mode. I'll sit on the bench properly if I feel like I need it or if I feel like I can say something helpful. :) Carry on.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)

Simcraft81 wrote: »
    @SeaDragonSong I get that feeling that nobody likes my work as well. It can be frustrating when you want to share something you're proud of yet no feedback. I love to create things and I'll still do what I love even if its for myself :) I'd like to check out your work if you have a link and want feedback. This goes for everyone else as well. Here is a link to my sims work if you're interested
    www.simcraft81.blogspot.com
    On another site, I did and to a short extent, still do, have a bit of social anxiety. I joined this awesome thing, and there were several active members, kinda close knit. True, I'd messaged one or two people, but didn't quite find a place yet. One day, I finally ended up so lonely that I messaged somebody, and they became one of my best friends. That happened twice, and I can't imagine what would've happened if I hadn't met them.

I read several people's stories, but don't quite have anybody that I really talk to on here. I also get the nobody likes my stuff feeling, but I remind myself it takes time, but other times I just run out of inspiration.

Hiyee, @Simcraft81 and @SeaDragonSong ! :)

I'll second @MedleyMisty and @Rainydayz179 's suggestions about reading circles! We created them so that everybody can find a group that makes a commitment to read each others' work. They're lots of fun, and they really help to dissolve that feeling that "If I write it, will anyone even read it?" because we know, "Yeah! My reading circle will read it!"

You can find the Reading Circle thread here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/887855/

I also second Rainy's invitation to swing by the Writers' Lounge sometime, which was the brilliant idea of @friendsfan367 !

You can find it here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/835533/writers-lounge-for-new-and-old

I think of the Writers' Lounge as my corner cafe--it's a great place to stop by when I want to see what folks are chatting about! It's super active, so it's pretty much impractical to try to keep up with all the posts there. It's very friendly and welcoming, though, so it's a great place to pop in and say hi! We've got a story index on the first page, and I'll be happy to list your stories there.

Oh! Also! I suggest that you list your stories with @mastressalita ! She runs a Story Index--just fill out her form (on her thread), and then she'll list your story.

In addition, one of the best ways that I've found readers is by reading other people's work and leaving comments or "likes." It always seem like really beautiful, natural Reading Circles form that way, and it's lovely.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »
    I also second Rainy's invitation to swing by the Writers' Lounge sometime, which was the brilliant idea of @friendsfan367 !

You can find it here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/835533/writers-lounge-for-new-and-old

I think of the Writers' Lounge as my corner cafe--it's a great place to stop by when I want to see what folks are chatting about! It's super active, so it's pretty much impractical to try to keep up with all the posts there. It's very friendly and welcoming, though, so it's a great place to pop in and say hi! We've got a story index on the first page, and I'll be happy to list your stories there.

LOL We don't have to keep up with all the lounge posts? Am I the only one that obsessively checks it then? Don't mind me... I'm in a goofy mood today! No bench sitting for me today.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

LOL We don't have to keep up with all the lounge posts? Am I the only one that obsessively checks it then? Don't mind me... I'm in a goofy mood today! No bench sitting for me today.

idon't even keep up with the lounge. except to check for messages.

Wow. Y'all should make me a hostess or something if I'm really the only one that does!

Wow. Y'all should make me a hostess or something if I'm really the only one that does!

i do have to sleep. but i come here every morning and check out as much as i can. then if i see something that needs attention i pm cathtea.last night i stayed around til after 10.

Do you seriously? That's hilarious! Yes! Be a hostess!

@friendsfan367 @CathyTea Yes, whatever the number of notifications I've missed I count back on the notifications page and start from there. Even if it says 60. I don't want to miss anything! *gasp* I'd love to be your hostess with the mostess! (lol my word correction thingy tried to change that to monsters)
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    Oh! Also! I suggest that you list your stories with @mastressalita ! She runs a Story Index--just fill out her form (on her thread), and then she'll list your story.

Yes, I maintain the Stories and Legacies Index, a SimLit index that has over 300 stories in its listing! Please visit the thread and check it out; listing your site there has many benefits, including:
    • Your link will be listed in the largest single directory of Sim stories and Let's Plays hosted on the Sims forums, which attracts fans of SimLit and LPs for its ease of use to discover new series to read and watch;
    • Your updates will be featured at the Stories and Legacies Index automatically for up to a full month;
    • Attention will be brought to any new series, completed series, heir polls, awards, or other milestones you reach on the Stories and Legacies Index thread and Stories and Legacies Index Gateway thread;
    • Your series may be featured on my reader advisory column, Reading Roundup, which highlights different stories and Let's Plays listed with the Stories and Legacies Index;
    • The Stories and Legacies Index updates daily;
    • There is no minimum update requirement for listing! All series listed with the Stories and Legacies Index update on a variety of different schedules;
    • All stories and video Let's Plays, regardless of Sims game used or style/format, are welcome! It doesn't matter if you are a brand-new author or a seasoned writer! So feel free to submit any Sim stories you may have, including completed ones! And if you have any stories that are discontinued or currently on hiatus, those are still more than welcome at our sister thread, the Stories and Legacies Archive!

I used to advertise a lot in WL and it never seemed to do much good or bring folks in, and even running a "Gateway" thread here in this forum to try to make folks aware of it (since it's located in Stories and Legacies, as it accepts any and all SimLit, no matter what game used) hasn't helped bring more folks from Sims 4 Stories and Legacies pop over there to submit. There are still a lot of the "regulars" from this forum I even PMed invites to that never registered their stories there that are still more than welcome (I'd probably have a Sim-style bladder failure in my excitement if I ever get some of them to list there, heh)! I've always wanted it to be like a huuuuuuuuuge library of SimLit, and each link submitted is like adding a book to the shelves. I'd love to get more books on those virtual shelves! So if you have a Sim story or even a video Let's Play (yes, those are more than welcome!), please drop by the Stories and Legacies Index and submit it! <3
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member

Don't feel bad. I do too sometimes.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

i keep up better than i use too. i don't think i missed anything.
  • cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I tend to go back to the last unread post, then read forward from there. I open the forums to My Booksmarks, and that link always picks up with whatever I haven't read yet. It's my favorite feature of the forums.

@SeaDragonSong if you post your story updates to the writer's lounge, I'll definitely see them and a lot of other people will too. It's a great reminder to people to check out what your write, or a nudge up their to-do list.
    I tend to go back to the last unread post, then read forward from there. I open the forums to My Booksmarks, and that link always picks up with whatever I haven't read yet. It's my favorite feature of the forums.

@SeaDragonSong if you post your story updates to the writer's lounge, I'll definitely see them and a lot of other people will too. It's a great reminder to people to check out what your write, or a nudge up their to-do list.

i was going to update but wp seems broken today.

Yes, I maintain the Stories and Legacies Index, a SimLit index that has over 300 stories in its listing! Please visit the thread and check it out; listing your site there has many benefits, including:
    • Your link will be listed in the largest single directory of Sim stories and Let's Plays hosted on the Sims forums, which attracts fans of SimLit and LPs for its ease of use to discover new series to read and watch;
    • Your updates will be featured at the Stories and Legacies Index automatically for up to a full month;
    • Attention will be brought to any new series, completed series, heir polls, awards, or other milestones you reach on the Stories and Legacies Index thread and Stories and Legacies Index Gateway thread;
    • Your series may be featured on my reader advisory column, Reading Roundup, which highlights different stories and Let's Plays listed with the Stories and Legacies Index;
    • The Stories and Legacies Index updates daily;
    • There is no minimum update requirement for listing! All series listed with the Stories and Legacies Index update on a variety of different schedules;
    • All stories and video Let's Plays, regardless of Sims game used or style/format, are welcome! It doesn't matter if you are a brand-new author or a seasoned writer! So feel free to submit any Sim stories you may have, including completed ones! And if you have any stories that are discontinued or currently on hiatus, those are still more than welcome at our sister thread, the Stories and Legacies Archive!

I used to advertise a lot in WL and it never seemed to do much good or bring folks in, and even running a "Gateway" thread here in this forum to try to make folks aware of it (since it's located in Stories and Legacies, as it accepts any and all SimLit, no matter what game used) hasn't helped bring more folks from Sims 4 Stories and Legacies pop over there to submit. There are still a lot of the "regulars" from this forum I even PMed invites to that never registered their stories there that are still more than welcome (I'd probably have a Sim-style bladder failure in my excitement if I ever get some of them to list there, heh)! I've always wanted it to be like a huuuuuuuuuge library of SimLit, and each link submitted is like adding a book to the shelves. I'd love to get more books on those virtual shelves! So if you have a Sim story or even a video Let's Play (yes, those are more than welcome!), please drop by the Stories and Legacies Index and submit it! <3

Hey, Mastress? I've been meaning to ask... I know I listed my whole site with you (the anthology), but do I need to do a new listing for each new story, or are all my stories covered if they're posted on my anthology site: https://cathytea.wordpress.com/

(I know--or at least assume--that I need to do new listings for new blogs...)

• mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    edited June 2016
    @CathyTea If you take a look at how the index is organized , it is per URL - so all stories that are listed within a single URL simply get a "Stories featured" sub-section that links to each story that is hosted on that particular site. Having all the stories on a single site is actually easiest for me as a cataloger, because then with a single Wordpress subscription, I immediately know when a new story has started, and can automatically update the listing. All stories on this one registered URL will show up in the Monthly Site Updates section. Your site would be an example of this.

However some users set up different sites per story, so they are on different URLs, and each of these are listed in the index as their own listing (as they are their own unique URL). I have to subscribe to each of these to get notifications. If an author that uses this method starts a new site, I will not automatically know about it, since I won't yet have a subscription to the new URL -- they will need to drop back by the thread and make sure to submit their new site so I can get it added and make sure it gets on my notification lists. Doing a search of, say, xoxJennxox or Daijahv would give a good example of this format; these authors had to register individual sites since they use unique sites for each story.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
    @CathyTea If you take a look at how the index is organized , it is per URL - so all stories that are listed within a single URL simply get a "Stories featured" sub-section that links to each story that is hosted on that particular site. Having all the stories on a single site is actually easiest for me as a cataloger, because then with a single Wordpress subscription, I immediately know when a new story has started, and can automatically update the listing. All stories on this one registered URL will show up in the Monthly Site Updates section. Your site would be an example of this.

However some users set up different sites per story, so they are on different URLs, and each of these are listed in the index as their own listing (as they are their own unique URL). I have to subscribe to each of these to get notifications. If an author that uses this method starts a new site, I will not automatically know about it, since I won't yet have a subscription to the new URL -- they will need to drop back by the thread and make sure to submit their new site so I can get it added and make sure it gets on my notification lists. Doing a search of, say, xoxJennxox or Daijahv would give a good example of this format; these authors had to register individual sites since they use unique sites for each story.

Thank you! :)

aghhhhhhhhhhh, you scared me.but your avis cute.
    aghhhhhhhhhhh, you scared me.but your avis cute.

Hehe boo! :o
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    @friendsfan367 @CathyTea Yes, whatever the number of notifications I've missed I count back on the notifications page and start from there. Even if it says 60. I don't want to miss anything! *gasp* I'd love to be your hostess with the mostess! (lol my word correction thingy tried to change that to monsters)

Good for you! I came in today (from early this morning around 2:30) to early afternoon (so around twelve hours) to over a hundred messages. However, I'm in a lot of different threads around the community. So, as much as I'd like to keep up, I cannot. I used to when I first joined the community, but that was long before I decided to spread out and be far more social than I have time for. However, I do enjoy popping in, as Cathytea does, when I remember and have time.

Now this thread is inspirational. I've felt like giving up so many times, it's not even funny. It's rather sad and scary, actually. But others rather in RL or here have stopped me or I've just woken up the next morning out of the mood I was previously in. Either way, I won't give up. Why? Because I love writing. It excites me and makes me angry and frustrated--sometimes all in the same day. But I can't give it up. I can't.

Do you know how many things I've began in my life and never finished? So many, I can't even count. But, I've been writing for two years, which is very long for me. Now, I'm very interested in photography still, so I suppose I have two hobbies. If you count my computers, I suppose three. :D But writing just makes me happy.

I remember a week or so ago when I suggested a brainstorming thread. Not only does this thread fit the bill, but it also exceeds my expectations. Because I understand, as we all do, the ups-and-downs we as creative people have, I'll definitely check back to help encourage others. <3 For we all need it at one point or another.

Humorous note: I just finished watching Downton Abbey :( Yes, finally I've seen the last season. :'(:'( Everything I've written has been spoken in my head in a British accent. :p
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories