Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How the heck do you make a profit?

KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
I've tried. I have a 5-star restaurant, Hogan's Burger's. I figured I'd start there with something simple. I have my staff of three at level 5, boosted prices a bit to 175%, figuring it's a burger joint, not a high end place where you charge a lot. My Sim owner is constantly schmoozing and rarely does she have the need to comp anything. I think maybe she gave some free drinks and desserts early on because of wait times. I've spent perks on everything I can to maximize profit and minimize costs.

Customers have all positive remarks. And still, at the end of the day if I'm lucky I wind up with a net profit of maybe 25 simoleons. I keep advertising down to the silver most of the time because the place tends to be crowded. I do get my tables all filled during traditional meal times with a line waiting to get in.

I'm a bad business person/restauranteur. My starting money-15K is down to 1K. One big problem is, even with the fast eaters perk, Sims will just sit there talking or wandering around and I can't turn the tables fast enough to get those waiting seated at a reasonable time.

So for those whose Sims make a living at this: how do you do it? What steps do you take? Do you close during the slow times between lunch and dinner so you aren't paying high salaries when there's no one there? How do you get diners to leave after they've eaten instead of sitting there chatting with each other and people at neighboring tables? How are you making money from this?

Is there an optimal time to promote people? If you hold off on promotions, it affects quality all the way around and people get ticked off.

I checked Carl's guide and there aren't a lot of specifics there, but I do everything he suggests.

Comments

• bitterascandybitterascandy Posts: 224 Member
    Place your markup to at least 200..buy perks for cheap ingredients...make sure you have at least one higher prices item on menu
  • BronteDuffy96BronteDuffy96 Posts: 239 Member
    edited June 2018
    delete
    Post edited by BronteDuffy96 on
  • KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    Thanks. Maybe I just wasn't marking up high enough. I'll give it a whirl. I appreciate your replies. :smiley:
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    KatsKats wrote: »
    One big problem is, even with the fast eaters perk, Sims will just sit there talking or wandering around and I can't turn the tables fast enough to get those waiting seated at a reasonable time.

Definitely add more tables. I have over 30 tables in my restaurant, and more customers = more profit.

oTluqCg.jpg
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
    I was thinking about adding more tables. But haven't figured out the required waitstaff to table ratio yet.
  • ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    One big problem is, even with the fast eaters perk, Sims will just sit there talking or wandering around and I can't turn the tables fast enough to get those waiting seated at a reasonable time.

Definitely add more tables. I have over 30 tables in my restaurant, and more customers = more profit.

oTluqCg.jpg
    Holy duck, that crowd at the host station, wow. How is your game not crashing? XD
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Zafireria wrote: »

oTluqCg.jpg
    Holy duck, that crowd at the host station, wow. How is your game not crashing? XD

I wonder how to lol!

I think I see about 50 sims on that :)
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member

oTluqCg.jpg

Woah. I have the Sim cap remover and I only get about 1/3 of that. @elelunicy do you use the more customer mod?
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    edited June 2016

oTluqCg.jpg

64-bit version with a good video card can handle about anything in this game. I can get 20-30 sims packed into a little area before I start getting issues.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I've had a thread on this too. My 2 star restaurant I wasn't manning made more of a profit than my 5 star restaurant that I was. My 5 star restaurant is 300$ markup and has max employees nearly all max pay though and quite a few perks..
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • dreita95dreita95 Posts: 237 Member

oTluqCg.jpg

Lawd! I'm getting stressed out just by looking at the picture. How can you manage such a busy restaurant?
    Analogue at birth, digital by design.
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    @elelunicy whoa! How many waiters and cooks do you have? Can they handle all of the tables okay?
  • ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »

oTluqCg.jpg

64-bit version with a good video card can handle about anything in this game. I can get 20-30 sims packed into a little area before I start getting issues.
    I figured. I don't dare try even tho mine can handle it XD
  • RomireRomire Posts: 2,418 Member
    We need a more cooks mod and waiters for this action
    Romire - Australian Gamer
    An Nurodirvgent player from the land downunder.
  • wintersmusewintersmuse Posts: 88 Member
    @Romire Yes please! It would allow for much bigger restaurants, and maybe then, I wouldn't be losing a few thousand simoleons every day..
  • ST7_MTNMANST7_MTNMAN Posts: 172 Member
    edited June 2016
    I've tried. I have a 5-star restaurant, Hogan's Burger's. I figured I'd start there with something simple. I have my staff of three at level 5, boosted prices a bit to 175%, figuring it's a burger joint, not a high end place where you charge a lot. My Sim owner is constantly schmoozing and rarely does she have the need to comp anything. I think maybe she gave some free drinks and desserts early on because of wait times. I've spent perks on everything I can to maximize profit and minimize costs.

Customers have all positive remarks. And still, at the end of the day if I'm lucky I wind up with a net profit of maybe 25 simoleons. I keep advertising down to the silver most of the time because the place tends to be crowded. I do get my tables all filled during traditional meal times with a line waiting to get in.

I'm a bad business person/restauranteur. My starting money-15K is down to 1K. One big problem is, even with the fast eaters perk, Sims will just sit there talking or wandering around and I can't turn the tables fast enough to get those waiting seated at a reasonable time.

So for those whose Sims make a living at this: how do you do it? What steps do you take? Do you close during the slow times between lunch and dinner so you aren't paying high salaries when there's no one there? How do you get diners to leave after they've eaten instead of sitting there chatting with each other and people at neighboring tables? How are you making money from this?

Is there an optimal time to promote people? If you hold off on promotions, it affects quality all the way around and people get ticked off.

I checked Carl's guide and there aren't a lot of specifics there, but I do everything he suggests.

I make 1200 a day with only 4 star restaurant, I don't get all the perks, if you watch the twitch stream they said be careful when you do the perks they can be bad the same as they can be could so some can couterreact what u r doing from what i have seen anyway.

I have 1 chef, 1 waitress, 1 hostess, the upgraded ingredients, and i only advertise once until it gets slow again. The times to stay open do matter, if it is slow yes close because you are losing money paying people to stand around. As far as people standing around i have found they are still wanting something generally so i will comp the table drinks b/c it is the cheapest and generally they leave after drinking them.

As far as your Advertising goes turn it off if it is staying busy only use it when you see it slow down! Good luck hope you get it right.

I only have 4 booths and two tables inside btw and 1 6 seat table outside!
  • mattandphilsims2mattandphilsims2 Posts: 136 Member
    I'm playing with Hogan's Burger Bar as well and it's 4.5 stars. I have to waiters, everything is great...except I'm open for like 12 hours at a time and make $32. I didn't mind at first, because it seemed realistic. Like, in the real world, opening a restaurant and becoming profitable is really really hard...but now I'm over it. My family desperately needs money and it's annoying that I go and spend 12 hours at this restaurant and make absolutely nothing. It seems like the staff wages are eating up most of the revenue.

My prices are 200%, my ingredients are the super cheap one (-10%), and I have to waiters, one chef and one host. I feel like I should be making money, especially because I have a steady stream of customers.
  • momlallamomlalla Posts: 10 New Member
    I finally have made a profit, but I can't get my rating above a 4. I added an apartment in the back of Hogan's so my manager can stay satisfied but the problem is that I can't give the staff a break. once they become too tired I have to close the restaurant.
  • RaevynRaevyn Posts: 428 Member
    XElladoraX wrote: »
    Have you tried maybe adding a waiter station and a chef station to each of the floors of your restaurant if it is multi leveled? I haven't personally tried it but if they are struggling to manage, just a suggestion worth trying (if you haven't already tried it).
    This is the feedback from my restaurant:
    lf9VkFc.png
    and my restaurant is quite small compared with a few i've seen (heres the above view of my restaurant which I got the design from the gallery, but refurbished it and redesigned it for my Sims restaurant).
    kgvw40k.jpg
    As you can see I only have 9 tables.
    ExYRQe3.png
    It's all about getting the perks and scaling up the prices to around 200%.
    I've only got one floor on this restaurant, so that's not an issue until I start buying others.

I did raise my prices to 200% and that helped a lot. I have 3 employees, added a couple of tables and did take off advertising because from noon to 7pm, when I start disallowing, there is a constant stream of customers. I disallow at 7 because it doesn't seem to actually work since people keep coming in until well after 10pm, so I close around midnight.

I am careful about which perks I am using. I don't have them all and I don't always use all the temporary ones, either.

The price raise helped and two more tables seemed to have done the trick.
  • Karu300Karu300 Posts: 437 Member
    I doubled the amount of tables I had. Still kinda slow. Had to cut off advertising maybe it's bugged in my game, didn't have much of an improvement between none and gold package. And I tested for a whole day.
    I've done these things and am now making very good profits every day. Thank you all!
  • Karu300Karu300 Posts: 437 Member
    I have a disturbing lack of customers. Despite being 5 stars.

Open like 8am to 10pm.
    Do you advertise at all? That should help bring more customers in. Then you can turn it off for a few days once you get a good number of people coming in, until business starts to slack off.
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    edited June 2016
    Wow so kool, I have made like 3 Restaurant's and 1 Bakery, and I still don't get that many people there, that is just wow , :)
    oh another thing, I never waste My money on the advertising, I get a lot of people as is without it.