Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 has already sold 5 million copies

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2016
    @blueturtleotter I calmly used my brain to analyze the evidence and concluded that the most likely - indeed the only likely - explanation of the pin was that it represented 5 million basegame copies sold. I'm sorry that you don't come to the same conclusions or don't accept anything but an outright statement as evidence, but I don't think I could get through life if I accepted nothing but outright statements before I decided something was probably true or probably false. And I don't think that using logic this way is unreasonable.

*edited for a typo
    The reason that doesn't mean the world to me (if your analyzing is correct; if there's one thing that irritates me more than the game sometimes, it's this vague and riddle loving attitude of its makers) is that I'm one of those buyers. And therefore I know a sold copy doesn't necessarily mean a happy player. Which is why I agree with @PHOEBESMOM601 . Not meaning in any way the team isn't working hard (I see so many improvements - Windenburg is so much better and more open than the other neighborhoods, the coloured map, the lighting, the fact uncontrolled sims can be controlled in a way now, I witness a constant listening to fans and the will to give them what they ask for within the limitations of the game, like they did in 3), but for me the game is also just that. A game. A game that has some basics that clearly appeal to a lot of people, but also not so much to another lot of people too. Like 3 and I think a lot of the TS3 sales weren't all happy campers as well (I know they weren't because many people have declared them buying EP's for the game was for the same reasons I'm buying for 4 now). And some complaints will concern purely personal preference, but other complaints are seriously more objective than that. Imo.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    One can obviously make money on a half-finished game too.
    A pattern that has been repeated since day one is that people buy the next GP, SP, EP in the belief that the game will improve. But after two weeks, lots of people get bored and disappointed. Some have fun with the game as it is, while others put it on the shelf in the hope that the next pack will make it more complete, fun and long-lived.
    Rinse and repeat - it sells after all. But no one can make me believe that TS4 is as well made or of the quality that the previous Sims games are.
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    Maybe it's a The valiant little tailor kinda thing :D
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    A pattern that has been repeated since day one is that people buy the next GP, SP, EP in the belief that the game will improve. But after two weeks, lots of people get bored and disappointed. Some have fun with the game as it is, while others put it on the shelf in the hope that the next pack will make it more complete, fun and long-lived.
    Rinse and repeat - it sells after all. But no one can make me believe that TS4 is as well made or of the quality that the previous Sims games are.

I don't think anyone really cares if you like it or not. As long as some people enjoying playing it, and as long as people continue buying it, your desire for a new iteration of The Sims is unlikely to come to fruition until this current one has exceeded its sell-by date. You're just going to have to deal with that.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @simIrrevirre Interesting points.

After playing the free trial I did feel that things are different to the previous games. I liked some features but a lot of it was pretty 'meh' compared to TS3 so I gave it 30 points out of a possible 100.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    aaronjc123 wrote: »

I don't think anyone really cares if you like it or not. As long as some people enjoying playing it, and as long as people continue buying it, your desire for a new iteration of The Sims is unlikely to come to fruition until this current one has exceeded its sell-by date. You're just going to have to deal with that.

Okey, did I step on someone's toes? I have the same right as everyone else to post my opinions/observations here. And I never said I'm waiting for a new iteration, where did you get that from? Since the sims team has been moved under the EA Mobile umbrella I'm not holding any hopes to see a Sims 5 I would like, it might just be a game similar to Sims Free Play, who knows?
  • Options
    OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    And again arn't we kinda back to sqaure one? No one knows what the 5M stands for AT ALL. No one from either side should get hyped up about this. This also would not change the fact of TS4 improvments, lack there-of, and the FACT (Not Opinion) that TS4 has recieved more negativity and controversy surrounding it than any other Sims game. It could sell 500 million for all anyone cares, it doesn't change anything and doesn't mean TS5 could be any better or worse.

Actually, if it's true that Sims 4 is at 5 million+ sales already in its lifecycle, it's a clear indication to the company the game's direction is the right one. Apparently Sims 3 only sold 7 million or so in its entire lifecycle and that was how many years compared to just... 2 here so far?

This is why I laugh everytime someone brings up Sims 4 retail sales at like 2-3 million. Because Origin exists. I haven't bought a single retail thing for the game, but I have every pack thanks to Origin. Those sales matter more than people think around here it seems.

I don't think simmers realize how many new simmers Sims 3 brought in who didn't have a clue about this game. That's because Sims 3 was out of the norm of how sims is played.

Me for one. I had never even heard of The Sims before, it was a friend that told me I should try the sims..and The Sims 3 was out just then.. so I tried and became addicted, that might be the reason why I am still playing the sims 3 and can not get to like the sims 4, but happy to see it doing well if it means a Sims 5..with open worlds please! (that's what makes it tick for me!)
  • Options
    OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    Azarinop2 wrote: »
    I think it's because of Youtubers like Pewdiepie, Zoella & Alfie etc. Who're advertising/playing the game making kids want it and buying it. They'll have no knowledge of the previous games and won't expect anything as they never experienced anything better from the previous iterations. It's annoying because Maxis will now make content for the unknowlegable kids/newbies more so than us oldies.

I'm probably weong like I am with everything but it was just a thought and i'm sticking with my opinion. Thankyou.

I kinda fail at seeing how turning to a younger audiance is wrong, especially for business.
    Not thinking about attracting younger gamers and make games enjoyable for them is a bit like a suicide move, since newbies are future cash if you manage to catch them. A gaming industry that doesn't work for that can't have a really bright future for its sales.

True, but in the same line a gaming industry that ignores the oldies that made it big in the past is just another way of committing suicide, we are still here, don't ignore us or forget us, we spend our money too, Why? I just bought TS4 and an expansion and don't even play it, but I like the franchise and want to keep it alive, we love you, love us back.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I wish we could get over sales, which is better...and....and...and..... and concentrate on a game everyone could like.
    I missed this quote but I so agree with that. I'd love to be able to discuss this game, being allowed to say what are disappointing things for me, without all the comparing (because absolutely previous versions had its flaws as well, I don't think anyone's denying that, all this years - while enjoying myself - playing 3 has constantly been a "oh I so hope they'll improve this in a sequel" experience for me) and without having to hear "well go then and play the others". Because for me that's not the point.

I agree just like "you can age them up" is not the point for me. I would like to be able to discuss the game and any problems, funny stuff, and game updates, without all the hype and negativity in some threads. I think it is good that the game sold, I read so many of these posts that are so much with FAIL that it really does make you wonder why the developers even bothered. Anyway I hope this is for actual sales not projected sales, like they give a pin hoping for that many sales as a motivator. Now I am afraid I have given some the right to jump on this as a negative. I just have this debate in my head all the time something is introduced to look at it another way. Maybe because I worked with children that needed to be taught in different ways, that I had to think outside the box so often that I guess after 30+ years it has become habit.
  • Options
    EpicSimsEpicSims Posts: 397 Member
    edited June 2016
    To think that a tinny tiny little part of the profits they've made came from my earnest dearest money....

When do you think the Dine-Out pack will be on sale, by the way? I've been just waiting for the right time. LOL xD

Sorry that my words are not .. really related to the thread's main topic.. though..
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    edited June 2016
    It's a winner! And will blow past series out of the water. :p

This is just false. All the past series blow sims 4 out of the water
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    edited June 2016
    Look at all the simmers succumbed to marketing!! Which doesn't surprise me, sims 4 marketing has been milking it
  • Options
    KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    Omaira wrote: »
    Azarinop2 wrote: »
    I think it's because of Youtubers like Pewdiepie, Zoella & Alfie etc. Who're advertising/playing the game making kids want it and buying it. They'll have no knowledge of the previous games and won't expect anything as they never experienced anything better from the previous iterations. It's annoying because Maxis will now make content for the unknowlegable kids/newbies more so than us oldies.

I'm probably weong like I am with everything but it was just a thought and i'm sticking with my opinion. Thankyou.

I kinda fail at seeing how turning to a younger audiance is wrong, especially for business.
    Not thinking about attracting younger gamers and make games enjoyable for them is a bit like a suicide move, since newbies are future cash if you manage to catch them. A gaming industry that doesn't work for that can't have a really bright future for its sales.

True, but in the same line a gaming industry that ignores the oldies that made it big in the past is just another way of committing suicide, we are still here, don't ignore us or forget us, we spend our money too, Why? I just bought TS4 and an expansion and don't even play it, but I like the franchise and want to keep it alive, we love you, love us back.

That's definitely also true.
    I never meant to say that focusing on younger gamers should equal ending the relationship with older players. In an ideal world, nobody would be ignored, or left out.
    It's just my own personal belief that a franchise needs to be loved by many generations to stay successful through time, especially decades.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • Options
    RifftraxRulesRifftraxRules Posts: 145 Member
    Is there a link (in other words, proof) that it really sold that many copies? Otherwise, it's all BS until I see the actual numbers.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    edited June 2016
    Is there a link (in other words, proof) that it really sold that many copies? Otherwise, it's all plum until I see the actual numbers.

it's based upon a button reward somebody saw. if it were really doing well, ea would not shut up about it and they would be splatting the numbers all over the world in bright colors like a car sick unicorn with food poisoning spinning in a disney teacup ride. i suspect it's doing better than sims medieval did, but just well enough to not be sims medievaled... yet.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    Is there a link (in other words, proof) that it really sold that many copies? Otherwise, it's all plum until I see the actual numbers.

it's based upon a button reward somebody saw. if it were really doing well, ea would not shut up about it and they would be splatting the numbers all over the world in bright colors like a car sick unicorn with food poisoning spinning in a disney teacup ride. i suspect it's doing better than sims medieval did, but just well enough to not be sims medievaled... yet.

Oh, I definitely believe the button represented 5 million sales (probably overall). And that's impressive for a PC game and sales or no, the game is profitable, and continues to be profitable, which means content will continue. What is probably wrong is the guru saying it was the best selling PC game of 2015. The ONLY place that says that is the NPD group, and they're not accurate (understatement there). EA, while they no longer release sales figures, are not shy about announcing when a game is selling very well and has outsold other games in the same franchise/from the same studio. When DAI had the most successful launch, beating out even ME3, EA announced it. If Sims 4 were really outselling the previous iterations, or was the best selling PC game, it would be on their advertising.

That said, I'm glad it's doing well. The better it does, the more content will be released, and the bigger budget Sims 5 will have.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    jaxie086 wrote: »
    Look at all the simmers succumbed to marketing!! Which doesn't surprise me, sims 4 marketing has been milking it

Sims 4 marketing sucks, overall. Their advertising has been ok, solely based on the video ads they've done which are generally pretty engaging, but their overall marketing has been terrible and their PR has been worse. I will say that there's a slight improvement in their PR recently, but it really doesn't make up for the terrible job they did before.

I would say that many of us who like the game like it despite their marketing.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    and those who dislike it dislike it not because of the marketing...

:o
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited June 2016
    One of the reasons I feel they don't make a big deal out of selling 5 million is because, if they do, it'll be compared to past releases and be disregarded as, "surprising for this game, but not that important," by a lot of people. The other responses would be happiness at its success, and happiness for it, but worrying about whether that person's playstyle will be left out of the game because of how well it's doing without it. Also, people will never trust anything from something they don't particularly like, which is why I think the original Sim Guru just told us.

"But who trusts numbers? Just go with what your gut says."

Since he knows that people will probably not believe the numbers until it's given to them, and even then people still might not trust them, despite being given evidence to the contrary.

This is where we can all learn about confirmation bias, as it is apparent in these forums, no matter what "side" you're on.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    Omaira wrote: »
    And again arn't we kinda back to sqaure one? No one knows what the 5M stands for AT ALL. No one from either side should get hyped up about this. This also would not change the fact of TS4 improvments, lack there-of, and the FACT (Not Opinion) that TS4 has recieved more negativity and controversy surrounding it than any other Sims game. It could sell 500 million for all anyone cares, it doesn't change anything and doesn't mean TS5 could be any better or worse.

Actually, if it's true that Sims 4 is at 5 million+ sales already in its lifecycle, it's a clear indication to the company the game's direction is the right one. Apparently Sims 3 only sold 7 million or so in its entire lifecycle and that was how many years compared to just... 2 here so far?

This is why I laugh everytime someone brings up Sims 4 retail sales at like 2-3 million. Because Origin exists. I haven't bought a single retail thing for the game, but I have every pack thanks to Origin. Those sales matter more than people think around here it seems.

I don't think simmers realize how many new simmers Sims 3 brought in who didn't have a clue about this game. That's because Sims 3 was out of the norm of how sims is played.

Me for one. I had never even heard of The Sims before, it was a friend that told me I should try the sims..and The Sims 3 was out just then.. so I tried and became addicted, that might be the reason why I am still playing the sims 3 and can not get to like the sims 4, but happy to see it doing well if it means a Sims 5..with open worlds please! (that's what makes it tick for me!)

I've definitely had my fun times with the sims 3 but it wasn't until more than half way through the series that I could really get into it. I couldn't play the sims 3 base game and have it keep my attention, packs like world adventures, and showtime just didn't do it for me. The sims 4 base game is actually good, and if it simply contained half of what the sims 3 base game could have been great.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    One of the reasons I feel they don't make a big deal out of selling 5 million is because, if they do, it'll be compared to past releases and be disregarded as, "surprising for this game, but not that important," by a lot of people. The other responses would be happiness at its success, and happiness for it, but worrying about whether that person's playstyle will be left out of the game because of how well it's doing without it. Also, people will never trust anything from something they don't particularly like, which is why I think the original Sim Guru just told us.

Since he knows that people will probably not believe the numbers until it's given to them, and even then people still might not trust them, despite being given evidence to the contrary.

This is where we can all learn about confirmation bias, as it is apparent in these forums, no matter what "side" you're on.

Or perhaps he's just not allowed to confirm or deny it. If EA has decided to be mum on such things, then maybe he's not able to make the choice to give a definite yes or no. Either way, he didn't.

It doesn't matter much, though. For whatever reason they won't or can't confirm numbers. We'll just have to assume that the game is doing all right if they're still planning content for it.

IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

Or perhaps he's just not allowed to confirm or deny it. If EA has decided to be mum on such things, then maybe he's not able to make the choice to give a definite yes or no. Either way, he didn't.

It doesn't matter much, though. For whatever reason they won't or can't confirm numbers. We'll just have to assume that the game is doing all right if they're still planning content for it.

Yeah, but he showed off that 5M pin for a reason, so it has to be something that's somewhat significant. Honestly, I don't know how big of a deal EA would actually make about it, and seeing as they've seen similar figures from the past games, albeit possibly in a different way, they would expect numbers to go up with every iteration, so it's not that surprising to them.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited June 2016
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

Yeah, but he showed off that 5M pin for a reason, so it has to be something that's somewhat significant. Honestly, I don't know how big of a deal EA would actually make about it, and seeing as they've seen similar figures from the past games, albeit possibly in a different way, they would expect numbers to go up with every iteration, so it's not that surprising to them.

Maybe. Maybe that was the only way he could share something. Don't know. But, I'm sure that there's also a reason that he didn't directly confirm or deny it. And that probably has less to do with feelings and more to do with what he can say. Just a guess.

I don't know why EA wouldn't come right out and share it. And the people who do know aren't saying.

EDIT: I do agree that there's probably the expectation of numbers going up for each iteration, and if this one didn't or is just neck and neck, they may be content with sales but not be all about shouting them from the rooftops.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 396 Member
    Quite the hullabaloo goin' on. Maybe the 5 means only 5 bugs were introduced with the newest patch. o:)
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Half or more of the sales are digital. They, as with just about every other major company, don't discuss digital sales. It's probably got to do with retail relationships and such, but until it becomes the primary distribution for gaming, that's how it is. I'm sure it's not hard to see how the big retailers aren't happy they aren't the only means to sell games anymore.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.