Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 has already sold 5 million copies

Comments

• Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited June 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »

---

The Sims 2 is also the most goal oriented, as the player needs to complete Aspiration Goals everyday of they suffer.

Yeah, that's what is so annoying about Sims 2. I always cheated to keep their aspiration level up.

I think we all did.

I didn't. I never cheat skills or aspirations and haven't since I started playing sims in 2000

I try not to but when your aspirations are all 4 kids getting into University and they are teenagers, you kinda have to :/

There are times when the goals want you to do something you don't want to do. So I cheat.

I guess I am just different. I have never, from sims 1, played it as a goal, or aspiration type of game. I got sims 1 and thought, cool! I can make an imaginary world with imaginary people. An alternate universe! I can do what I want without restriction of societal barriers, rules, restrictions, etc. I can live where I want, go where I want, do what I want, and live how I want. No matter how I see it, or creatively decide that a story needs to be....

The pop-ups, menus, guidelines, tutorials have never meant a thing to me in the 16 yrs I've been playing.

The worst series for my style was 3.

I also play this way, ignoring many of the goals and things, The worse game for me was the sims 3 so many problems even playing the game. I wonder if the good sales are because you do not need a million dollar (exaggeration) computer to be able to enjoy this iteration of the game?
    Also there are no rabbitholes where you have to wait for the pop-up to come on to tell you what is going on, if you are only playing one sim that was most annoying in sims3.
    Sims 4 doesn't have rabbitholes? When was that patched in? And I play one sim in 3, who hardly ever enters a rabbithole. Because the game is stuffed with open venues and he doesn't have a job (and that's Bridgeport, the third EP). He does a lot of mixing drinks but I can perfectly witness him doing that.
    I had to buy a new computer by the way to be able to play Sims 4 ;) My previous computer (which could manage Sims 3 on highest settings, all packages and Store content included) would shut off every time I'd enter CAS.

It has a whole lot less then sims 3 has, and you just don't have to play those in the sims 3 you had no choice everything was a rabbithole. I am sorry you had to buy a new computer for the game to play, at least it plays for you now. I got a new computer for the sims 3 and the darn thing still would not play, so you are one up on me with that.
    Saw a good post on here that makes you think that sometimes we forget that there are developers that try to make a good game and they get shot down. It takes a lot to make a game for everyone to like if anyone cares to check it here is the link http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/890350/100-sympathy-with-the-sims-developers#latest

I also read this The Sims 3 sold 1.4 million copies in the first week, making it the largest release in PC gaming history at the time. The game has sold over 10 million copies worldwide since its release.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-sims-turns-10-tops-125-million-units/1100-6249485/
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited June 2016
    I have to admit, this whole argument gives me a bit of a headache in its irrelevance. If you rely on NPD group for information, you're relying on bad information since they're guessing (oh, excuse me, using a small sample to try and guess at digital sales). If you look at company actions since they are NOT releasing sales data, Sims 3 did just fine. Sims 4 is releasing things more slowly, but maybe now that their sales are picking up, the bean counters will be persuaded that it's worth investing money into, and maybe things will speed up. If you believe NPD data, you have to believe that Sims 3 sold over 4 million copies in 2014, which it did not. Nor did Sims 4 either, actually. And we know this given financial reports that talk of a slower than expected launch.

Trying to convince people that previous iterations didn't sell well is pointless, and I honestly can't figure out the obsession as it does nothing to make Sims 4 look like it's a better game. Given the amount of content pumped out for the previous games, it's also probably just plain out wrong as we know what happens to games that AREN'T selling well (Sims Medieval which really was a flop) or aren't selling well enough to support (SimCity 2013 which probably sold well, but not well enough to continue devoting server space).

Sims 2 sold a boatload of content, but Sims 3 was the insanity leader when it came to that with EPs being pushed out at a crazy rate only beat by the Sims 3 Store. It wasn't dropped (as it would have been had it really been a flop) and in fact the money made from it helped support the development of other games. Sims 3 was basically printing money.
  • Options
    Felicity wrote: »
    I have to admit, this whole argument gives me a bit of a headache in its irrelevance. If you rely on NPD group for information, you're relying on bad information since they're guessing (oh, excuse me, using a small sample to try and guess at digital sales). If you look at company actions since they are NOT releasing sales data, Sims 3 did just fine. Sims 4 is releasing things more slowly, but maybe now that their sales are picking up to convince the bean counters that it's worth investing money into, maybe things will speed up. If you believe NPD data, you have to believe that Sims 3 sold over 4 million copies in 2014, which it did not. Nor did Sims 4 either, actually. And we know this given financial reports that talk of a slower than expected launch.

Trying to convince people that previous iterations didn't sell well is pointless, and I honestly can't figure out the obsession as it does nothing to make Sims 4 look like it's a better game. Given the amount of content pumped out for the previous games, it's also probably just plain out wrong as we know what happens to games that AREN'T selling well (Sims Medieval which really was a flop) or aren't selling well enough to support (SimCity 2013 which probably sold well, but not well enough to continue devoting server space).

Sims 2 sold a boatload of content, but Sims 3 was the insanity leader when it came to that with EPs being pushed out at a crazy rate only beat by the Sims 3 Store. It wasn't dropped (as it would have been had it really been a flop) and in fact the money made from it helped support the development of other games. Sims 3 was basically printing money.

MY reason for posting was not because I cared how any iterations sold, it was mainly because this is good that it sold, means that the content will keep coming and hopefully get better. Then I answered some of the posts that quoted me. I actually know when the company is doing well and when not, as I have them in my stock portfolio, and they are doing pretty well right now, I have no sales figures, but the stock has gone up, so I think they are doing OK. I do not get any figures as to which games sell well and which do not so, to know that the game is selling when a lot of posts on here say it is not selling well, that is a plus and a reason to be happy, IMO.
    Twitter and Facebook and other of that type of media, have a totally different opinion than I see here on the forums. I worked with kids in a school which would be the group they are targeting and I had the occasion to ask them about the game, and it seems that they feel that EA is on the right track with the sims 4. They do not want this big game, they just want to play it casually and let it go, they have more games that they also play and want to play them also. So I think the trend for gaming the way that the sims have always been is still around but it is not the same as it once was if these young people are any indication.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Felicity Even today TS3 is still bringing home the money. I have actually witnessed in threads new players, those who only started with TS4 become tempted with TS3 when they hear of the available content and see pictures which might be appealing.

In this case, TS4 is actually introducing players to TS3 and it's popularity is very high. Just look at the TS3 GD for instance, I have seen that place get very busy again after the last six months or so :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Simanite wrote: »
    So they've earned approx. $300,000,000 from the base game yet they complain about the cost and time it takes to make things in add ons?!

Who complains? We like to explain how game development works, they aren't complaints they are the facts :)

check out this post it gives credit where it is due. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/890350/100-sympathy-with-the-sims-developers#latest
  • Options
    I have to admit, this whole argument gives me a bit of a headache in its irrelevance. If you rely on NPD group for information, you're relying on bad information since they're guessing (oh, excuse me, using a small sample to try and guess at digital sales). If you look at company actions since they are NOT releasing sales data, Sims 3 did just fine. Sims 4 is releasing things more slowly, but maybe now that their sales are picking up to convince the bean counters that it's worth investing money into, maybe things will speed up. If you believe NPD data, you have to believe that Sims 3 sold over 4 million copies in 2014, which it did not. Nor did Sims 4 either, actually. And we know this given financial reports that talk of a slower than expected launch.

MY reason for posting was not because I cared how any iterations sold, it was mainly because this is good that it sold, means that the content will keep coming and hopefully get better. Then I answered some of the posts that quoted me. I actually know when the company is doing well and when not, as I have them in my stock portfolio, and they are doing pretty well right now, I have no sales figures, but the stock has gone up, so I think they are doing OK. I do not get any figures as to which games sell well and which do not so, to know that the game is selling when a lot of posts on here say it is not selling well, that is a plus and a reason to be happy, IMO.
    Twitter and Facebook and other of that type of media, have a totally different opinion than I see here on the forums. I worked with kids in a school which would be the group they are targeting and I had the occasion to ask them about the game, and it seems that they feel that EA is on the right track with the sims 4. They do not want this big game, they just want to play it casually and let it go, they have more games that they also play and want to play them also. So I think the trend for gaming the way that the sims have always been is still around but it is not the same as it once was if these young people are any indication.

I agree, it's great news. As I said, hopefully that means that more content will start being released for the Sims 4 as the more it makes, the more sense it makes to get more content out.

Any social media is a pretty bad source of what is actually selling overall, though, and what will continue to be popular. Sims 3, no matter what you think of the game, was very popular, and one thing that we'll never know is the sales of the Sims 3 Store. Given the resources pumped into that, it was probably the biggest money making part of the series.
  • Options

I agree, it's great news. As I said, hopefully that means that more content will start being released for the Sims 4 as the more it makes, the more sense it makes to get more content out.

Any social media is a pretty bad source of what is actually selling overall, though, and what will continue to be popular. Sims 3, no matter what you think of the game, was very popular, and one thing that we'll never know is the sales of the Sims 3 Store. Given the resources pumped into that, it was probably the biggest money making part of the series.

And the most buggy content of all and I own all of it. LOL
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @Felicity Even today TS3 is still bringing home the money. I have actually witnessed in threads new players, those who only started with TS4 become tempted with TS3 when they hear of the available content and see pictures which might be appealing.

In this case, TS4 is actually introducing players to TS3 and it's popularity is very high. Just look at the TS3 GD for instance, I have seen that place get very busy again after the last six months or so :smile:

Part of it is because some players have effectively had to stay with TS3 because TS4 hasn't catered to their play styles. I've seen plenty of people who have been forced that way deciding to complete their TS3 collection and buy further store content so obviously the appetite is there for a complex game and maybe EA should address this by having a 'casual' and 'complex' version.

Also notice TS3 prices haven't discounted much. Expansion packs haven't been being sold at bargain prices as you would expect. The store prices have stayed high and people are continuing to buy. So clearly they can command that money of the sims.
  • Options

That the Sims 3 Store is still open shows that people are still buying from there. They kept developing content for it up until the release of Sims 4, which is unusual. Usually the DLC production dries up way before then with most games. Of course, since Sims 4 doesn't have a store, they can roll in the sales of the DLC content into total sales, which Sims 2 and Sims 3 could not do as store stuff is not included in "copies sold."

But whether Sims 3 was popular or not has no bearing on whether Sims 4 is a good game. Sims 5 will probably very different from Sims 4 as well, with a different focus. What Sims 4 having good sales means that the DLC releases may actually pick up, and that Sims 5 may get more money as well.
  • Options

And the most buggy content of all and I own all of it. LOL

It has its issues, that's for sure. It bugs me that I have to use either Awesome Mod or NRaas to play it. OTOH, I wrote a huge bug fix mod for Dragon Age: Origins because that game was so buggy (and I'll never write a huge bug fix mod again -- or at least not release one -- my sympathies to game developers everywhere).

No games are bug free. Look at the unofficial patches for Bethesda games. Since I like to game, I play on PC and I use unofficial fixes. Including fixes for Sims 4 for bugs that modders can squash but the devs can't seem to (not a criticism, devs have to actually fix them right while modders generally can bandaid fix).
  • Options
    @sparkfairy1 Interesting points.

I think that for those who weren't impressed with TS4 or didn't want to move forwards they stayed with TS3 and are being the remaining TS3 content that they haven't yet owned such as a few EPs or SPs and of course the Store stuff which might explain why the prices remain high as their is still money being made
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    @Felicity I have seen a few players say that they enjoy the game with EPs such as when GT was released and some players are happy with the newest patch so there is still a chance for TS4 to increase it's sales again in the future once the right content is made available
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    @Felicity I have seen a few players say that they enjoy the game with EPs such as when GT was released and some players are happy with the newest patch so there is still a chance for TS4 to increase it's sales again in the future once the right content is made available

Their sales have picked up. And that's a good thing. I play Sims 4. I like it. I play Sims 3. I like it too. I have criticisms about both games. And I hope Sims 5 has more features that I like and takes advantage of better hardware than Sims 4 did as it will expand the possibilities for the game.

The amount of resources devoted to Sims 4 DLC is most likely based on how well it's doing, and if sales are good, then that's good for everyone. Even people who don't like the Sims 4, as it bodes well for a well-funded Sims 5 being released.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @sparkfairy1 Interesting points.

I think that for those who weren't impressed with TS4 or didn't want to move forwards they stayed with TS3 and are being the remaining TS3 content that they haven't yet owned such as a few EPs or SPs and of course the Store stuff which might explain why the prices remain high as their is still money being made

Exactly my point.

For me personally it's a shame because I wouldn't have bought TS4 if I didn't want a new game I could enjoy.
  • Options
    EuanSimEuanSim Posts: 2,345 Member
    It's not that big of an achievement. In a time where more people are gaming than ever, you cannot compare 2004 to 2016.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    These threads always remind me of "My Dad can beat up your Dad". What difference does it make? You either like a game or you don't. I wish people would stop trying to convince other people that "their" game is better.

TS 1, 2 and 3 are done as far as new added content and TS4 is the only one that has the possibility of being improved. I just don't understand when someone posts TS4 needs this or that or talk about bugs they are greeted with such hostility. Doesn't everyone want a game to always get better?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    These threads always remind me of "My Dad can beat up your Dad". What difference does it make? You either like a game or you don't. I wish people would stop trying to convince other people that "their" game is better.

TS 1, 2 and 3 are done as far as new added content and TS4 is the only one that has the possibility of being improved. I just don't understand when someone posts TS4 needs this or that or talk about bugs they are greeted with such hostility. Doesn't everyone want a game to always get better?

Honesty time: I kind of wish the sims 4 to come to an end...
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    the11thmoonthe11thmoon Posts: 249 Member
    i don't believe they sold 5 million
    sorry
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    sorry

Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean it's not true.
  • Options
    the11thmoonthe11thmoon Posts: 249 Member
    edited June 2016
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    sorry

Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean it's not true.

That goes without saying sir...
    But Like, I said, I don't believe it.
    I don't need your commentary.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2016

---

The Sims 2 is also the most goal oriented, as the player needs to complete Aspiration Goals everyday of they suffer.

Yeah, that's what is so annoying about Sims 2. I always cheated to keep their aspiration level up.

I think we all did.

I didn't. I never cheat skills or aspirations and haven't since I started playing sims in 2000

I try not to but when your aspirations are all 4 kids getting into University and they are teenagers, you kinda have to :/

There are times when the goals want you to do something you don't want to do. So I cheat.

I guess I am just different. I have never, from sims 1, played it as a goal, or aspiration type of game. I got sims 1 and thought, cool! I can make an imaginary world with imaginary people. An alternate universe! I can do what I want without restriction of societal barriers, rules, restrictions, etc. I can live where I want, go where I want, do what I want, and live how I want. No matter how I see it, or creatively decide that a story needs to be....

The pop-ups, menus, guidelines, tutorials have never meant a thing to me in the 16 yrs I've been playing.

I also play this way, ignoring many of the goals and things, The worse game for me was the sims 3 so many problems even playing the game. I wonder if the good sales are because you do not need a million dollar (exaggeration) computer to be able to enjoy this iteration of the game?
    Also there are no rabbitholes where you have to wait for the pop-up to come on to tell you what is going on, if you are only playing one sim that was most annoying in sims3.
    Sims 4 doesn't have rabbitholes? When was that patched in? And I play one sim in 3, who hardly ever enters a rabbithole. Because the game is stuffed with open venues and he doesn't have a job (and that's Bridgeport, the third EP). He does a lot of mixing drinks but I can perfectly witness him doing that.
    I had to buy a new computer by the way to be able to play Sims 4 ;) My previous computer (which could manage Sims 3 on highest settings, all packages and Store content included) would shut off every time I'd enter CAS.

It has a whole lot less then sims 3 has, and you just don't have to play those in the sims 3 you had no choice everything was a rabbithole. I am sorry you had to buy a new computer for the game to play, at least it plays for you now. I got a new computer for the sims 3 and the darn thing still would not play, so you are one up on me with that.
    Saw a good post on here that makes you think that sometimes we forget that there are developers that try to make a good game and they get shot down. It takes a lot to make a game for everyone to like if anyone cares to check it here is the link http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/890350/100-sympathy-with-the-sims-developers#latest

I also read this The Sims 3 sold 1.4 million copies in the first week, making it the largest release in PC gaming history at the time. The game has sold over 10 million copies worldwide since its release.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-sims-turns-10-tops-125-million-units/1100-6249485/
    That's in fact quite the opposite. The only way to avoid sims disappearing in Sims 4 is to always take the whole family with you. Rabbithole means nothing else than a system where sims vanish and aren't controllable. In Sims 3 rabbitholes often are buildings, but that's in no way different than a greyed out sim in your dashboard down below in Sims 4. When I don't send my sims to rabbithole buildings (and this is almost constantly the case with my current sim who never went to school - I created him as a YA - and never had a job) I can still play the game.

I've just contributed to the 5M by the way, GT is downloading right now. If there's one way for me to find a way to enjoy Sims 4 I think it's GT.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

I have seen sims 3 players convert to sims 4 as well. Most of the reasons I see is that the sims are charming and cute or that there's less lag and issues. What's your point exactly?

The sims in general is an extremely popular series, even sims 2 would still make money if it was being sold.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    Zafireria wrote: »
    I want that plumbob pin :(

I wish they had a Sims merch store!

That would be awesome! Imagine how many wonderful light up plum bob things we could buy!
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • Options

---

I think we all did.

That's in fact quite the opposite. The only way to avoid sims disappearing in Sims 4 is to always take the whole family with you. Rabbithole means nothing else than a system where sims vanish and aren't controllable. In Sims 3 rabbitholes often are buildings, but that's in no way different than a greyed out sim in your dashboard down below in Sims 4. When I don't send my sims to rabbithole buildings (and this is almost constantly the case with my current sim who never went to school - I created him as a YA - and never had a job) I can still play the game.

I've just contributed to the 5M by the way, GT is downloading right now. If there's one way for me to find a way to enjoy Sims 4 I think it's GT.

I do find the insistence that there are no rabbit holes in Sims 4 baffling. Aside from actual rabbit holes like the rocketship and the non-active careers, you're right that when you take one sim off lot, the rest of your sims are basically in a rabbit hole. The entire game is a rabbit hole except for the active lot, only with fewer options.

I understand the dislike of rabbit holes -- I'm not crazy about them either, and that's part of the reason I really dislike the way non-active sims are handled in the Sims 4. In Sims 3, there are registers you can use to build many of the stores which I do, so I can't really think of any rabbit holes in my Sims 3 game aside from the work places.

I do like Sims 4, it's just I see this as the biggest negative in the game, and I keep hoping they do something to at least make those rabbit holes a lot more productive (like allowing your sims to do something other than work on skills and take care of needs) than how they have them now.
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    I knew going in that this thread would become a 3 vs 4 warzone. The only truth in this case is that TS4 is outselling 3 and 2 and we're barely starting this generation. Your hate and preference for 3 won't change anything in this immutable truth. Deal with it or just get tired complaining, because we still have a long road of success ahead.