Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

'Family Play' isn't just toddlers

Comments

• kphillips2977kphillips2977 Posts: 135 Member
    I have never came to forums until Sims 4. I miss toddlers for my game play and would surely have signed petitions and voted for toddlers had I known they even existed. To base a survey on the internet does not guarantee that everyone will see it and vote or put their say in. Being a psychology major (I graduate Monday!) I can say that surveys are not an accurate way to accumulate information because you are only taking a small sample size and trying to represent the whole population.
    As for toddlers and family play. It can be the OP's perception that toddlers do not make family play and that other things matter and it can be another persons perception that toddlers are a focus point for family play it does not mean anyone is wrong. Actually because everyone has their own personal perceptions its alright to see family play differently. For me its about bonding through the stages of life. From baby to elder. It does make the game rather hard for me to play. I put effort into trying to play other ways just to be disappointed because I felt that my family play style lacks and I mean lacks a lot.
    My sister is a single mom with one child. To her that is an idea family because she doesn't like to refer to someone else about decisions. For me its been my husband and our four children for 23 years now. Just because my opinion of family compared to my sisters differs doesn't necessarily mean we both are wrong.
    I am also not easily offended when someone says they want pets to be next or seasons to be next. I get that because it will help their immersion in the game. I think that is great and hope that they come. I do not really play with supernaturals and honestly could have them or not have them. However because others want them and think they should be priority doesn't mean I'm offended by their own personal thoughts. Nor do I think they have to express their opinions with (in my opinion) because I can read between the lines and know that it is just their personal thoughts on their game play. I do not understand all the bickering. I would rather see everything get added, because that means more game play. If given enough tools to play with, I might just explore other things I didn't think I could. So when someone says they want farm things, I think to myself, hmm could be interesting to add into my game. My daughter would really love the Zombie thing that they put in a survey. It doesn't sound appealing to me but I think to myself, how much of a twist could I put in my stories if I had that in my game. The new patch that was added, I do not utilize it but my daughter does and thinks it makes her game better, I am not offended we all have our own thoughts and are mature enough to know when someone says I really want this in my game because its important and I want it to be next, that doesn't mean we should be offended. Its just their opinion and its not harming anyone.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is toddlers are family play to me because it is a life stage that has meaning and value to the way I play my game. I would also like to see a lot more than just toddlers. If I made a list of all the things I wanted in my game, it would probably take me two years to compile it all together XD.
    [img][/img]001701c.gif

• the11thmoonthe11thmoon Posts: 249 Member
    i don't think elders are the most exciting stage. but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have the stage.
    i don't think being a teenager IN REAL LIFE is the most exciting stage, but we should still have it.

i just don't get why eliminating a LIFE STAGE was ever a consideration.
    negligent on the team's part.
    i'm getting upset all over again.
  • NoogsterNoogster Posts: 627 Member
    edited June 2016
    You seem to be offended that others feel Maxis should prioritize toddlers, but are others not supposed to feel the same when you say they should not? Maxis has a vision, and how accurately that vision fits the way you play, I play, and everybody plays is still up in the air. We don't know their vision, they haven't specified other than Rachel Franklin saying the community doesn't get it.

I'm not offended by that.
    I'm offended by how it's being displayed in the forums. Saying things like how it should be prioritised over EVERYTHING (i.e this past update--I've seen some even say it was a waste of their time) is someone's own opinion, I know, but it still hurts to those who have been happy with the game thus far.

I'm also not saying people can't have a voice, but it's how you use that voice. I have seen that petition and I have JUST stated I'd be super dandy with toddlers in my game, but EA and Maxis don't have it on their priority and I can't say it any better than...too bad.

I mean...
    tumblr_inline_n9dy39J1CL1qm02yb.gif
    edited June 2016
    I feel like the creators, producers are disconnected from the SIMS community.
    Tot think that altering family play would be a great idea.

The SIMS 4 to me is like a bachelor-style type of game, IMO.
    And that's not how I play the game.
    Others may, which is fine and why they don't care.
    But you have to cater to all your supporters.
  • MorriSanMorriSan Posts: 412 Member
    Till this day, I'm still CONFUSED on who made the choice to eliminate toddlers from the game?
    What were they thinking?

You could ask the same about what they were thinking when they excluded open world or terrain elevation. All of that was, if I remember correctly and including toddler, answered by stating that the game engine isn't ready (yet). Open world would swallow too much power, coding for toddlers isn't there, pools (solved) and anything else but flat lots aren't possible. Then they went silent and implemented a information stop on future content unless about to be released.

Personally I think that they got spooked by the outcry that accompanied the crys of joy when they gave us pools. It was all 'you told us lies' and similar things, followed by demands to add this or that NOW.

• mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member
    I don't know why some people assume I'm enjoying the game just because I don't care for virtual toddlers. Sims 4 needs a lot of work in my opinion.

If you are referring to my post. My comment is directed at people who have stated that they are enjoying the game without toddlers. Not to people who don't want toddlers and still not enjoying the game.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Till this day, I'm still CONFUSED on who made the choice to eliminate toddlers from the game?
    What were they thinking?

Telemetry from TS3 suggested it wasn't a stage most players bothered with much. Sales from the toddler related items on the store as well as the Generations pack were probably also a factor.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
    MorriSan wrote: »
    What were they thinking?

You could ask the same about what they were thinking when they excluded open world or terrain elevation. All of that was, if I remember correctly and including toddler, answered by stating that the game engine isn't ready (yet). Open world would swallow too much power, coding for toddlers isn't there, pools (solved) and anything else but flat lots aren't possible. Then they went silent and implemented a information stop on future content unless about to be released.

Personally I think that they got spooked by the outcry that accompanied the crys of joy when they gave us pools. It was all 'you told us lies' and similar things, followed by demands to add this or that NOW.

trust me, I prefer the OPEN world
    but the sims is a LIFE stimulater
    LIFE
    as in stages of life

if the game engine wasn't ready, delay the game
    but it was too expensive to delay the game
    THEN release it with a "sorry guys couldn't get the toddlers in on time, but we will create an expansion pack for it" WOULD have been much better.

I bought The Sims 4 and it just COLLECTS DUST on my computer. It's 2016. Nearing 2 years since release and STILL nothing...
    Unreasonable. And embarrassing. They should be embarrassed.
    mskube wrote: »
    My comment is directed at people who have stated that they are enjoying the game without toddlers.

No, I was almost sure it was directed towards users who don't want toddlers and want people who do to be unhappy and not play the game. Unless... I'm wrong.

And to everyone else who feels the same way as mskube, I have not once seen someone in this thread write word for word "I do NOT want toddlers in my game." ---only that they weren't going to use them, or that they did not care for them.

edited June 2016
    And its ok for people to enjoy the game WITHOUT toddlers...
    My goodness, YOU GUYS have kept them in business. The Maxis staff have families to feed. So I'm happy about that.

But we can't just consume WHATEVER they give us.
    We are the supporters. And our voice should mean something.
  • GleestickyGleesticky Posts: 508 Member
    edited June 2016
    What were they thinking?

Telemetry from TS3 suggested it wasn't a stage most players bothered with much. Sales from the toddler related items on the store as well as the Generations pack were probably also a factor.

That may be true, but Sims should be focused on all players. Their slogan e is "You Rule" after all. Family players don't rule in Sims 4.
  • Maylee2Maylee2 Posts: 179 Member
    Maylee2 wrote: »
    Sure toddlers aren't the key to everything, but they are important in the name of aging. As a toddler, you learn to speak, walk, talk whatever. If it wasn't for toddlers then we wouldn't be able to what we could do now. If it wasn't for toddlers we wouldn't be able to do basic things like reading, writing, counting numbers, tying our shoes, learning the BASIC humans do in every day life. Toddlers aren't just a family thing, but a relevant life stage and phase.

If toddlers never existed in the real world, humanity would never exist. Toddlers are the KEY to life. It something that helped us go through school, graduate from college, get a job and start a life. Without toddlers, we couldn't be educated and do the simplest stuff.

How do you think a child would function normally missing the toddler life stage? They wouldn't be able read without ever speaking first? My nephew wouldn't be able to read right now if it wasn't for toddlers. How do you think I am able to draw and write stories?. This is my reason why we need toddlers.

I disagree with Sims 4 aging. Highly unrealistic and Sims wouldn't even exist without toddlers, like I prevousily said. People are to blind too see why others want toddlers. They just assume toddlers are annoying little kid that contribute nothing. YES they do! Wake up! Take a look at the real thing! Why can't you see anything positive about toddlers? They're just not anything to you? They are something to me. They're no different from babies and babies are no different. Complain about babies instead. They're annoying, irritating, can't do nothing either. They contribute nothing unlike toddlers. Peace out people, Maylee is leaving the building.

Telemetry reports from the previous game would say otherwise, in reference to the bolded bit.

Also, talk of 'realism' in this game goes out the window when there are aliens, ghosts, and the appearance of other supernaturals in the series as a whole, such as mermaids and vampires. Or the wellness skill providing teleportation. Not to mention the fact that in aging specifically, the Sims age instantly by years if not decades blowing out candles on a cake.

Now, if you wanna say you want toddlers because you like them, or they fit your playstyle, that's cool. But 'realism'? :D That's a stretch.

Lol ghosts and aliens, you gotta love them. I was just explaining more what toddlers had to offer. I do understand why people don't want them but they have to realize toddlers are more than crying babies. I get it. My niecexperience whines every single day. There's nothing we could do a about. Whining and crying is in all of our nature of human life. We all did it so I see no point in going against toddlers. Yep, I know, pretty. Aging classicallyrics by the birthday cake! It makes the game a little more fun.
    I don't know why some people assume I'm enjoying the game just because I don't care for virtual toddlers. Sims 4 needs a lot of work in my opinion.

Exactly.
  • KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    edited June 2016
    What were they thinking?

LIFE
    as in stages of life

THEN release it with a "sorry guys couldn't get the toddlers in on time, but we will create an expansion pack for it" WOULD have been much better.

I bought The Sims 4 and it just COLLECTS DUST on my computer. It's 2016. Nearing 2 years since release and STILL nothing...

I feel like EA schedule couldn't allow that. And if your boss gives you a deadline, you follow the rules, no matter what happens along the way.
    Sometimes cutting things out is better than not finishing a project in time. You still have the possibility to add stuff later on, anyway.

edit: and the fact that toddlers are still not here after 2 years means that either the devolopers have a different prospective about the game and its path, or that they had trouble coding them and they're taking a looong time. Either way, we won't know until they announce them or give a final, official statement.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
    edited June 2016
    And its ok for people to enjoy the game WITHOUT toddlers...
    My goodness, YOU GUYS have kept them in business. The Maxis staff have families to feed. So I'm happy about that.

But we can't just consume WHATEVER they give us.
    We are the supporters. And our voice should mean something.

I don't consume anything they give me. I didn't buy addons for the other sims games if I didn't like their content and I, for example, haven't bought the spooky stuff this time because it doesn't play to my preferences. I wont buy teh kids stuff pack because I'm satisfied with the options I have for the few times I play with children in my game. I vote with my wallet.

edit for the valet/wallet ^^
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Noogster wrote: »
    agent_bev wrote: »
    evidently, I'm not the only one who thinks this - the 'EA Silence on Family Play' thread has reached over 1200 pages.

True, but I have also seen something evident:

15813bfeef4b4ff8a1d8c5b88ed3239e.png
    1f8b4c50333d4b9dae62d4b7c5d894c6.png

That sort of blows it out of the water, doesn't it?

Judging from what I have seen, there are a lot more people interested in a form of Create-A-World than toddlers. I'm not saying toddlers should never be implemented into the game, but it is obvious how much of an interest there is, and then there is how much you're trying to make it to be. Now, I'm also not saying your feelings don't matter, but I think saying...
    we are definitely missing out on a HUGE chunk of gameplay here that you can't replace with a few more "fun" items like the outdoor movie set.

Saying "we" I'm assuming you mean the other people who strongly feel like toddlers are the ONLY priority? I know toddlers are a life stage and have value, but it is not a HUGE chunk of gameplay, because everyone plays the game differently.

And FYI: The amount of pages a thread has does not determine the priority of something over the other. I can guarantee most of those pages are debates.

That matches my perception as well but I have to add that I really don't trust such surveys. Without knowing what is really in the next Stuff pack which is said to be about kids, I doubt that it has the size to include toddlers. What it has is, I think, the potential to show how much interest and money is really behind the kid fans. If it is selling like mad it might tell EA that expanding on the theme will make them more money and they'll make a toddler addon or patch a priority. The reverse is true too.

People vote with their valets.

I thought I just used a valet for parking, I can use one for voting too? :p

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/valet

*I'm just jesting*
    What were they thinking?

LIFE
    as in stages of life

I feel like EA schedule couldn't allow that. And if your boss gives you a deadline, you follow the rules, no matter what happens along the way.
    Sometimes cutting things out is better than not finishing a project in time. You still have the possibility to add stuff later on, anyway.

Did you not read the rest of my post?
    It's ok if they couldn't delay it... but AT LEAST start working on what is left out and get to the supporters.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I was curious when the word 'toddler' first entered the English language but when I typed it into Google I kept getting links to varies threads from the forum...

On a serious note though, when was there an actual definition for toddlers IRL such as babies where sometimes called 'infants' although the term infant seems to have been extended beyond being a baby as in the UK there are 'Infant Schools' which traditionally cover the ages 4-7 years old.

In german the equivalent of toddler is Kleinkind. Small child. I searched for toddle in my ethymology books, then tried an online version to verify: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=toddle

toddle (v.) Look up toddle at Dictionary.com
    "to run or walk with short, unsteady steps," c. 1600, Scottish and northern British, of uncertain origin, possibly related to totter (1530s); an earlier sense of "to toy, play" is found c. 1500. Related: Toddled; toddling.

toddler (n.) Look up toddler at Dictionary.com
    1793, agent noun from toddle. Toddlekins is from 1839.

The concept of toddlers does not exist in french either. When browsing for clothes for example, you go straight from baby (< 2 yo) to children. When they translated "toddlers" in the Sims, they used "bambins" which is in fact a child between 2 and 11, so not really a toddler in fact ;) And it's not a common word either.

Which makes all the discussions about toddlers being a basic lifestage and all seems rather moot, when for me it has always been a concept created for the gameplay first. The whole concept of "life stages" is there for gameplay first for me.
    edited June 2016
    Noogster wrote: »
    agent_bev wrote: »
    evidently, I'm not the only one who thinks this - the 'EA Silence on Family Play' thread has reached over 1200 pages.

True, but I have also seen something evident:

15813bfeef4b4ff8a1d8c5b88ed3239e.png
    1f8b4c50333d4b9dae62d4b7c5d894c6.png

That sort of blows it out of the water, doesn't it?

Judging from what I have seen, there are a lot more people interested in a form of Create-A-World than toddlers. I'm not saying toddlers should never be implemented into the game, but it is obvious how much of an interest there is, and then there is how much you're trying to make it to be. Now, I'm also not saying your feelings don't matter, but I think saying...
    we are definitely missing out on a HUGE chunk of gameplay here that you can't replace with a few more "fun" items like the outdoor movie set.

Saying "we" I'm assuming you mean the other people who strongly feel like toddlers are the ONLY priority? I know toddlers are a life stage and have value, but it is not a HUGE chunk of gameplay, because everyone plays the game differently.

And FYI: The amount of pages a thread has does not determine the priority of something over the other. I can guarantee most of those pages are debates.

That matches my perception as well but I have to add that I really don't trust such surveys. Without knowing what is really in the next Stuff pack which is said to be about kids, I doubt that it has the size to include toddlers. What it has is, I think, the potential to show how much interest and money is really behind the kid fans. If it is selling like mad it might tell EA that expanding on the theme will make them more money and they'll make a toddler addon or patch a priority. The reverse is true too.

People vote with their valets.

I thought I just used a valet for parking, I can use one for voting too? :p

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/valet

*I'm just jesting*

oh, false freinds, how I love you. Thank you for pointing that out. and the smiley bug get's me for the first time. so annoying.
    I'm not concerned about whatever survey or research was done about the LEAST played life stage.
    That's an excuse.

Life stages should be SET IN STONE, period.
    Regardless. No debates.
    AT LEAST start working on what is left out and get to the supporters.

But that's the thing. EA & Maxis don't see toddlers as something they "left out"--they built the game up without toddlers as a life stage.

jimmysnan wrote: »
    Maylee2 wrote: »
    Sure toddlers aren't the key to everything, but they are important in the name of aging. As a toddler, you learn to speak, walk, talk whatever. If it wasn't for toddlers then we wouldn't be able to what we could do now. If it wasn't for toddlers we wouldn't be able to do basic things like reading, writing, counting numbers, tying our shoes, learning the BASIC humans do in every day life. Toddlers aren't just a family thing, but a relevant life stage and phase.

If toddlers never existed in the real world, humanity would never exist. Toddlers are the KEY to life. It something that helped us go through school, graduate from college, get a job and start a life. Without toddlers, we couldn't be educated and do the simplest stuff.

How do you think a child would function normally missing the toddler life stage? They wouldn't be able read without ever speaking first? My nephew wouldn't be able to read right now if it wasn't for toddlers. How do you think I am able to draw and write stories?. This is my reason why we need toddlers.

I disagree with Sims 4 aging. Highly unrealistic and Sims wouldn't even exist without toddlers, like I prevousily said. People are to blind too see why others want toddlers. They just assume toddlers are annoying little kid that contribute nothing. YES they do! Wake up! Take a look at the real thing! Why can't you see anything positive about toddlers? They're just not anything to you? They are something to me. They're no different from babies and babies are no different. Complain about babies instead. They're annoying, irritating, can't do nothing either. They contribute nothing unlike toddlers. Peace out people, Maylee is leaving the building.

In the early days there was not a stage called toddlers, there were adults and children, when a child was weaned, they were put into doing jobs as the older children were, so to say if a toddler stage never existed humanity would not exist, is a misstatement. I do not see where missing that stage in our forefather's lives made them not grow up, and do more than the simplest stuff.

I see what you're talking about. Such a term didn't exist back then. I studied child labor, and it seemed really tiring. Forcing kids to work 24/7 instead of letting them be kids. I thought without the toddlers, we couldn't achive anything. Maybe not necessarily humans can't exist without toddlers, but should be more well known to the creators of Sims.
    edited June 2016
    I'm honestly in shock that Maxis has not released toddlers yet.

I don't know what their sales are... but I know they haven't gotten any of my money, other than the base game.
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I feel like toddlers got cut because of the whole Olympus thing as well, which only had adults. They basically had to rework what they had in a short amount of time, which seems to have resulted in T-E being the same height and babies tied to a bassinet. Maybe not 100% the reason, but a part. Kids were probably easier to animate/required less animations than toddlers as well.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top