Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why the unnecessary restrictions?

Comments

• Sara74469Sara74469 Posts: 513 Member
    The restrictions are there so your restaurant could be open with you not being on the lot which I think is a really nice aspect that they added and they should be praised for that. Also I find my two sims that run the resturant spend lots of they're time working in the restaurant while it's open. Maybe you haven't played with a restaurant that is popular because my sims are never not working on the place while it's open.
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited June 2016
    How frustrating. You can only hire townies and you can't play the sims that work for your resturant or they lose their job? I was already annoyed when I found out you couldn't be the chef at your own resturant.

There goes any chance of playing out fun stories with all your workers, having the server date the cook or whatever. I like playing 3 to 4 households at once for my stories but as usual the game restricts this.

Also a resturant game pack and still no new kitchen counter options? I was so longing for stainless steel counters to make cool urban kitchens. Sigh.
  • Grilled_Cheese93Grilled_Cheese93 Posts: 20 New Member
    I think the restrictions on this pack are a serious issue. I bought the pack and spent a good hour designing the restaurant only to find I couldn't open it without employing a chef/waiter/host. Also, why do all the people available for hire have no skills????? The customers in my restaurant got up and left because the food was so bad! I find it especially annoying as my sim is a level 10 cooking/level 6 Gourmet cooking and could cook everything perfectly. I'm very resentful that my sim who has all the skills can have hardly no input in the restaurant and has to pay for the training for the chef. Why would anyone even in real life hire a chef who could only serve simple food if they wanted to run a fancy restaurant??

I think most of us who got the Get To Work expansion would have assumed that this would follow the same pattern of running a shop, you can hire staff if you want put can also take an active role yourself (which my sims always end up doing cos the staff never do their jobs). I don't get why this would be different. Maybe the interaction/script was too complex? When you're running a shop there's not as many interactions idk.

Also, one of the reasons they went down this road may be that when you set the menu you can choose from all food levels. If your sim was being the chef and they didn't have the level to cook a certain food then they wouldn't have been able to make it. I guess they could have fixed it by graying out the food that couldn't be made

My sims basically end up having nothing to do at their own restaurant which is a bit lame. I think they should have made it clearer how much interaction your sims would actually have in the restaurant, because a lot of us assumed it would be like GTW. I think this pack works much better for sims visiting a restaurant, because this aspect is actually quite fun
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    I find it especially annoying as my sim is a level 10 cooking/level 6 Gourmet cooking and could cook everything perfectly. I'm very resentful that my sim who has all the skills can have hardly no input in the restaurant and has to pay for the training for the chef.

This is the part that really gets to me too. They told us to level up our cooking skills, but why? It doesn't even matter whether our owner can cook or not. It doesn't matter at all.

Just a random thought, haven't tried this myself yet. If your owner is high level in the skills required, can you mentor your chefs/waiters/hosts in those skills without having to pay for training? I'm thinking the answer is probably no (I'll check when I play later if nobody knows), but it would give us some advantage to our owners having spent all that time leveling up.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited June 2016
    pixiejuice wrote: »
    I find it especially annoying as my sim is a level 10 cooking/level 6 Gourmet cooking and could cook everything perfectly. I'm very resentful that my sim who has all the skills can have hardly no input in the restaurant and has to pay for the training for the chef.

This is the part that really gets to me too. They told us to level up our cooking skills, but why? It doesn't even matter whether our owner can cook or not. It doesn't matter at all.

Just a random thought, haven't tried this myself yet. If your owner is high level in the skills required, can you mentor your chefs/waiters/hosts in those skills without having to pay for training? I'm thinking the answer is probably no (I'll check when I play later if nobody knows), but it would give us some advantage to our owners having spent all that time leveling up.

Wasn't "they" that Sims Latam person in a Facebook PM? (I doubt that weeks beforehand that person knew the full mechanics of the pack) Or was it on anything actually official and approved?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited June 2016
    My sim, Michael Alvorado, (business savvy) didn't have time to stand around doing nothing when he bought a restaurant. After employing the staff and a mixologist for the bar he didn't have time to stand around as the resident Sims came in thick and fast. He had to chat up the customers whilst their food was being prepared and keep an eye on the staff arranging training etc. He was tired after all this and closed for the day and everyone quickly went home. I only got one star, but have a small bit of the next one and a small profit for the day.

I found his new staff in the Not in Game and Unplayed section and found some of them had families and found them all homes. I am training them in cooking in their own homes and hope that will help.

I found it enjoyable and engrossing as you have to concentrate and prepare well.
  • Grilled_Cheese93Grilled_Cheese93 Posts: 20 New Member
    I think what also makes it a bit restrictive is that there isn't a new skill to learn. However, we already have a lot of food based skills so I don't know what else there could be. The type of restaurant you can have is also quite limiting as it goes from average pizza/burger type place to high end food. I think it would have been more interesting if they introduced world cuisine so you could have different themed restaurants like a sushi bar or a curry house
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Sara74469 wrote: »
    The restrictions are there so your restaurant could be open with you not being on the lot which I think is a really nice aspect that they added and they should be praised for that. Also I find my two sims that run the resturant spend lots of they're time working in the restaurant while it's open. Maybe you haven't played with a restaurant that is popular because my sims are never not working on the place while it's open.

Hmmm
    Praised for it's restrictions.
    I have heard it all now lol!
    With word's like that is it really any wonder we are getting half baked packs with the sims 4.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    After playing, it bugs me that we can not serve food and sit customers. I understand we have host/waiters, but it would be nice if our sims could do it too.
    100% agree with this, Bob Pancakes is so bored running his restaurant, I tried having him tend bar and people don't even order drinks from there, whhhhhhy can't we have them help out with delivering food and seating guests?!

I hope someone creates a mod. Otherwise owning a restaurant is boring.
  • jenneferejennefere Posts: 43 Member
    100% agree with this, Bob Pancakes is so bored running his restaurant, I tried having him tend bar and people don't even order drinks from there, whhhhhhy can't we have them help out with delivering food and seating guests?!

I hope someone creates a mod. Otherwise owning a restaurant is boring.

I'm hoping for the same. I feel like I wasted money on this gamepack. :neutral:
  • VickiVampiressVickiVampiress Posts: 211 Member
    Sim2Spore wrote: »
    I'm gonna take a guess and say the reason why our managers can't intervene with the tasks of the restaurant is because it'd get really buggy if they did.

From what I've observed while playing is that restaurants run in a very script-oriented manner:
    Guests walk in,
    Host greets/seats,
    Order is put out (like in the case of player visits),
    Waiter walks over to take order,
    Waiter gives order to Chef,
    Chef cooks food & sets on platform,
    Waiter takes dish from platform and delivers to table.

Any time this sequence is not going on, waiter must clean, host stands at podium, and chef fiddles around with the stove.

From a programming perspective, this is all sequential and if anything interrupts the sequence, it can mess up. Example: Waiters seem to have a higher priority to clean dishes than to serve food. This is why when they're carrying a meal, halfway through they might decide to clean a table instead and they set the meal down and it disappears forever, ruining the sequence for that group of customers.

Asking for direct player interaction with the order of events may cause more bugs than are already present.

By that logic I'm guessing the new Maxis programmers haven't learned about while loops yet. :#
    1Q6xf0t.jpg
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    The restrictions in this pack are just over the line. I need a mod to fix it. That says things.. and not good things.. I shouldn't have to rely on a mod every time a new pack comes out! Even the modders are giving up on this game. smh
    I want to be able to hire the sims I spent hours on perfecting their cooking/baking/mixology skills on, when I heard of a dine out pack.
    What gives? Why can't I?
    Some one who works for EA... please explain!
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• jenneferejennefere Posts: 43 Member
    The restrictions in this pack are just over the line. I need a mod to fix it. That says things.. and not good things.. I shouldn't have to rely on a mod every time a new pack comes out! Even the modders are giving up on this game. smh
    I want to be able to hire the sims I spent hours on perfecting their cooking/baking/mixology skills on, when I heard of a dine out pack.
    What gives? Why can't I?

I'm asking the same questions and you are right, it's shameful that we are depending on mods to make this game fun.
  • CreoleSimCreoleSim Posts: 334 Member
    The Plum holes were telling us "Hey! Sharpen up your cooking skills!" to do what Maxis? Watch the Chefs who CAN'T cook, cook every meal for OUR own restaurant.
    8zjsc9.png
    Origin@ Simday1
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    CreoleSim wrote: »
    The Plum holes were telling us "Hey! Sharpen up your cooking skills!" to do what Maxis? Watch the Chefs who CAN'T cook, cook every meal for OUR own restaurant.

Yeah. There are literally no hints from this team, even when it clearly sounds like one. Lol

Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
    jennefere wrote: »
    What gives? Why can't I?

I'm asking the same questions and you are right, it's shameful that we are depending on mods to make this game fun.

Correct. Just like NRAAS Mods - I only play TS4 thanks to MC COMMAND CENTER.

Ugh.
    CreoleSim wrote: »

HaHa

So true lol!

• butterfly27255butterfly27255 Posts: 52 Member
    OFB has always been my favorite game in the sims2. Everytime I play the sims 2 I always go for OFB. I like that I have the option of ruining my business or making it succeed. And like everyone else I do miss the long lines at the cashier register, looking at other sims react to the long lines and I do miss my active sim running around to pick up the slack of all the employees. And final I really miss when it was time to close the business my active sim would blow a whistle and kick everyone out. So every time I wish to play business I still go to the sims 2, because sims 4 is great I love it but none of these game can still compare to the sims2 playable mode.
  • AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member

I must admit when I first found out I couldn't be a chef in my own restaurant weeks before the game was launched i was very disappointed but then I gave it a little more thought and decided "hey as long as i can go inside the kitchen i can get my imagination to work around that" ....

now after downloading the GP on the day it was released i opened up the burger joint and it was an hour later i realized all the micro managing that come with being an owner.... greeting customers with hello...checking on tables...making sure staff is doing their job and praising or criticizing when needed as well as cleaning a few tables when the waiter is a bit slow.

after that fiasco i thought to myself "oh my and I ALSO WANTED TO COOK THE MEALS"????? ... I can only speak for myself when I say there is NO WAY I would have been able to do all of that ...and trust me that's coming from someone who loves to cram and do lots of needed things at once...someone who actually get her kicks out of having so much to do in so little time and being able to pull it off ...but that?? NO...

Now I'm sure it's way around it like...more household members to help out...so i tried that way with the switching back and fourth like that but still i was not greeting all customers in time and some got mad and left... {they were very demanding} you must have "free will" totally off or your household members will do other things besides work.

how i did it was i added the regular stove and fridge and small bar to the kitchen and had MY chef sim just cook up and bunch of meals {individual meals NOT group meals} and drinks alternating with each one because we must remember it's not what WE wanna cook it's what THEY want to order...

so, I made up a few fake meals and drinks remembering "now i need a grill" some menu items calls for a grill {only an NPC can cook grill items on a stove} now while running to the bar to make the drinks {only an npc can make drinks on a stove} anyway, after that was all over i was like
    " no way" when making different kind of individual meals i had to make sure my chef never get hungry or she will eat it...

then I needed to stop my chef from drinking the drinks. also make sure you lock the door to the kitchen or someone will try to go in the kitchen and eat/drink it.

or maybe we could have a choice to deal with costumers or cook...let the NPC be the waiter and we do the orders...would that work?? the only problem with that is...we are NOT an NPC so therefore we wouldn't be able to do the things they do like make burgers and steaks on the stove and drinks on the stove we would actually have to do these things the right way and when cooking on a grill it's~~~~> group meals..

so what do we do? give the customer a plate of burgers??...UNLESS we have a stove that could do all of those things HOWEVER that's something that have NOT been invented....could they add the magic stove in the game? a stove that cooks like an NPC...would that solve the problem???

I'm also sure if you have MODS in your game it's ways around everything that's stated above but not everyone play with MODS and MODS should only be added to OUR game because WE WANT TO not because WE NEED TO ...when i PAID FOR MY GAMES {no game packs were free} it was no where stated that I WILL NEED MODS IN ORDER TO PLAY THE GAME CORRECTLY OR THE WAY IT SHOULD BE PLAYED.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    brsy wrote: »
    I'm also sure if you have MODS in your game it's ways around everything that's stated above but not everyone play with MODS and MODS should only be added to OUR game because WE WANT TO not because WE NEED TO ...when i PAID FOR MY GAMES {no game packs were free} it was no where stated that I WILL NEED MODS IN ORDER TO PLAY THE GAME CORRECTLY OR THE WAY IT SHOULD BE PLAYED.

You have no idea how happy I am to see someone else say this.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Lkelley5708Lkelley5708 Posts: 16 New Member
    I'm super disappointed. I spent hours saving money to build a diner. I also spent hours leveling up my sim's cooking, baking and gourmet cooking skills. I finish the diner and I suddenly realize, I have to HIRE some random person to do all the jobs I was so excited to do. Disappointed is not even the word to use. I'm 🐸🐸🐸🐸. I would not have bought this game pack if I would have known this. This is my worst Sims purchase ever. I've been playing the sims since the beginning of the sims and this is ridiculous! Very unhappy.
  • Lkelley5708Lkelley5708 Posts: 16 New Member
    Another disappointing restriction that I just noticed is that you can not sell baked goods and other items at your diner. Like you see at some diners you can buy some desserts or something before leaving. I wish I would have known how little you could do with Dine Out. So many restrictions.
    edited June 2016
    brsy wrote: »

You have no idea how happy I am to see someone else say this.

This pack as become a bit of a wake up call for me that seems they simply can't bring back properly the gameplay some of the fans love.

It started with retail and now it's with restaurants.

Restrictions after more restrictions. We ain't even in control anymore.

People building restaurants and maxing out cooking skills and doing recipies for nothing because of our sims can't even work in it.
    They have made big mistakes with retail and even bigger ones with dine out :(

Starting to loose hope of any freedom and the you rule is a joke lol:(