Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 has already sold 5 million copies

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    It's just the sims 3 made it more goal-oriented than before. With WA and the world exploration. They wanted to try the open world concept of other games but then the sims themselves lost a lot of attention. It drew players who played other open world games in. And to them, the level of customization to the sims themselves and how they play was/is different to the level of playing with other game characters.

To me, Sims 3 is way out of the norm of the sims franchise. I prefer this one and sims 1-2.

I really don't understand this thinking at all. TS4 is WAY more goal-oriented than TS3!

And yes, I know you don't have to do the goals, but you didn't have to do them in TS3, either!! So yeah, this argument is as leaky as a faucet as far as I'm concerned.

The Sims 3 has way more goals. A lot of the gameplay for each pack is completed with "Opportunities" which are goals. While these are optional, declining them means you decline part of the gameplay. You can't experience all the gameplay until you complete them.

EG: WA, University, Into The Future, Showtime and Ambitions are built around this gameplay. Island Paradise, Late Night, Pets uses a lot of it. And of course, the base game has HEAPS, alongside all of the careers.

With The Sims 4, Careers have goals instead Skill Points and Opportunities. And Aspirations have a checklist of goals too.

Only jobs are goal required, every other section for goals is not required and you don't miss out on gameplay by not doing them.

---

The Sims 2 is also the most goal oriented, as the player needs to complete Aspiration Goals everyday of they suffer.
  • GleestickyGleesticky Posts: 508 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

---

The Sims 2 is also the most goal oriented, as the player needs to complete Aspiration Goals everyday of they suffer.

Yeah, that's what is so annoying about Sims 2. I always cheated to keep their aspiration level up.
    fullspiral wrote: »
    And again arn't we kinda back to sqaure one? No one knows what the 5M stands for AT ALL. No one from either side should get hyped up about this. This also would not change the fact of TS4 improvments, lack there-of, and the FACT (Not Opinion) that TS4 has recieved more negativity and controversy surrounding it than any other Sims game. It could sell 500 million for all anyone cares, it doesn't change anything and doesn't mean TS5 could be any better or worse.

Actually, if it's true that Sims 4 is at 5 million+ sales already in its lifecycle, it's a clear indication to the company the game's direction is the right one. Apparently Sims 3 only sold 7 million or so in its entire lifecycle and that was how many years compared to just... 2 here so far?

This is why I laugh everytime someone brings up Sims 4 retail sales at like 2-3 million. Because Origin exists. I haven't bought a single retail thing for the game, but I have every pack thanks to Origin. Those sales matter more than people think around here it seems.

I don't think simmers realize how many new simmers Sims 3 brought in who didn't have a clue about this game. That's because Sims 3 was out of the norm of how sims is played.

That's a very interesting opinion that I disagree with.

The Sims 3 attracted new players based on what it had to offer, not because it was some abnormal game that had no correlation or connection to The Sims franchise. That's absurd. The Sims 4 is also completely different from The Sims 1-3 does that make it out of the norm? Wouldn't each game that released differently be "out of the norm"?

Is there even a "normal" way to play The Sims? The way you play, and the way I play are probably very different. The way I play, and the way other hundreds of thousands of players play are more than likely different. There is no "norm" in The Sims. Unless I've been playing wrong all of these years... Then again, I don't think anyone, including yourself, has the authority to make that kind of assumption.

It's just the sims 3 made it more goal-oriented than before. With WA and the world exploration. They wanted to try the open world concept of other games but then the sims themselves lost a lot of attention. It drew players who played other open world games in. And to them, the level of customization to the sims themselves and how they play was/is different to the level of playing with other game characters.

To me, Sims 3 is way out of the norm of the sims franchise. I prefer this one and sims 1-2.

The Sims 4 is the epitome of goal oriented gameplay. At almost every stage there are goals involved. Did the developers have to change goals in The Sims 3 because they were such a big problem? Nope, they gave us the ability to completely stop the goal driven dialogue boxes from appearing. Therefore removing all goals the player didn't initiate.

The Sims 3 was out of the norm for you because of the open world and creative feaures? I call those improvements, both of which were completely abandoned for the next entry. The Sims 4 is out of the norm. Look at what it doesn't have, compared to what others did. That says enough.

You sound like you're talking about another game. The only goals that are not optional are Career goals (which just combine Opportunities and Requirements).

None of the other goals are forced upon you, and no gameplay is missed by not completing them. Cannot say the same about The Sims 2 or 3, where gameplay is reserved for completing goals, or gameplay can only be experienced through Goals (Sims 3).
    This makes sense though, as it WAS the best selling game 2 years in a row on PC, beating games like Fallout 4 and GTA V which sold significantly last year.
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    Yay! more expansion,game,stuff packs for meee!! I mean for us. ;)
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    Who else wonder what the color of the 10m is going to be ? :D

Platinum?

Or gold perhaps ?
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    @jackjack_k the opportunities were like little side mini-games, and were much more open-ended in terms of how to achieve them than TS4's mini-games. But as always you're free to form whatever opinion you want to have, as all of us are. It just definitely doesn't with mine, and I wholeheartedly disagree.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

---

Yes. I agree with that. I hated having to keep them up. That's not sandbox. I actually wish I had only the parts of Sims 2 I had before I ended up taking the full download. I enjoyed the game more before those. I'd love to delete freetime from the UC collection offered.
    edited June 2016

---

Yeah, that's what is so annoying about Sims 2. I always cheated to keep their aspiration level up.

I think we all did :tongue:

---

I think we all did.

I didn't. I never cheat skills or aspirations and haven't since I started playing sims in 2000
    @jackjack_k the opportunities were like little side mini-games, and were much more open-ended in terms of how to achieve them than TS4's mini-games. But as always you're free to form whatever opinion you want to have, as all of us are. It just definitely doesn't with mine, and I wholeheartedly disagree.

They can't be considered mini side games, when the bulk of some of the gameplay for EP's like University, WA and Ambitions are built around them, and have only one way to complete them.

Outside those packs, even if they are to the side, they are still required to be completed to experience the full gameplay of the game, as a lot of gameplay is exclusive by completing them. (for example my Sim wrote a biography of his manager, that could only be done via Opportunity. Otherwise he only wrote books that didn't sell for as much. Another Sim entered a eating competition (not Seasons), chess competition etc. lots of gameplay there that's reserved just for those quests).

They aren't really side games if they withhold gameplay that can't otherwise be completed.
    When you install the base game only, a lot of the activities in the open world can only be experienced by completing the goals.

---

I think we all did.

I didn't. I never cheat skills or aspirations and haven't since I started playing sims in 2000

I try not to but when your aspirations are all 4 kids getting into University and they are teenagers, you kinda have to :/

There are times when the goals want you to do something you don't want to do. So I cheat.

---

I think we all did.

I try not to but when your aspirations are all 4 kids getting into University and they are teenagers, you kinda have to :/

There are times when the goals want you to do something you don't want to do. So I cheat.

I guess I am just different. I have never, from sims 1, played it as a goal, or aspiration type of game. I got sims 1 and thought, cool! I can make an imaginary world with imaginary people. An alternate universe! I can do what I want without restriction of societal barriers, rules, restrictions, etc. I can live where I want, go where I want, do what I want, and live how I want. No matter how I see it, or creatively decide that a story needs to be....

The pop-ups, menus, guidelines, tutorials have never meant a thing to me in the 16 yrs I've been playing.

The worst series for my style was 3.
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Reminds me how far away we as a Sims 4 community and myself as a Simmer has come. Originally after hearing all the omittions I didn't even want to touch the game as it made me furious at how much was taken out. But it was only when the 20 minute video with former SimGuru Ryan and SimGuru Graham to convince me to give Sims 4 a try and while a lot was indeed taken out I did very much enjoy what was offered and it only got better as time went on and officially won my heart over sims 3 when the progressive patch to break down the gender barriers was released opening the possibilities for new stories and new characters to create! So if this is actually true it's becoming more well deserved by the minute!

---

I think we all did.

I guess I am just different. I have never, from sims 1, played it as a goal, or aspiration type of game. I got sims 1 and thought, cool! I can make an imaginary world with imaginary people. An alternate universe! I can do what I want without restriction of societal barriers, rules, restrictions, etc. I can live where I want, go where I want, do what I want, and live how I want. No matter how I see it, or creatively decide that a story needs to be....

The pop-ups, menus, guidelines, tutorials have never meant a thing to me in the 16 yrs I've been playing.

Yeah but if you don't cheat with Aspirations in The Sims 2, you have to complete them which sometimes gives you no choice but to do things you don't want to do (Go to University, Get a Job at ____, WooHoo with _____" etc. And if you don't complete them your Sim stops functioning like normal and will drop commands and instead complain about their Aspiration.

I can't play being forced to do something, so I don't.
    The Sims 4 Career goals all make sense and relate to the job experience so I don't mind :)

---

I think we all did.

Yeah but if you don't cheat with Aspirations in The Sims 2, you have to complete them which sometimes gives you no choice but to do things you don't want to do (Go to University, Get a Job at ____, WooHoo with _____" etc. And if you don't complete them your Sim stops functioning like normal and will drop commands and instead complain about their Aspiration.

The Sims 4 Career goals all make sense and relate to the job experience so I don't mind :)

I know. I guess that's why I can't go back to 2. Even though it's funny when the bunny shows up, or the psychiatrist, it's basically just the game telling you you aren't following the goals of the game.
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member

---

I think we all did.

Yeah I myself enjoy the careers in The Sims 4 cause it gives the player to be more involved with it by doing things outside of work! Within the past three series it was mostly about simply being in a good mood with the exception of Sims 1-2 where you also needed to gain friendships as well. The system here gets you involved in activities that are appropriate to that job and a "Raging Smile" is no longer the only requirement to gain job performance. In terms of aspirations this was the one thing I didn't like in The Sims 2. Not the aspirations themselves but you were pressured into doing them cause if you didn't your Sim would mentally lose it. I prefer to do aspirations when I feel like it not when the game does which is why I prefer Sims 4 aspirations not to mention there are several more to choose from in this generation of the series. So in regards to careers and aspirations Sims 4 truly wins!
  • thesimsisepicthesimsisepic Posts: 102 Member

I really don't understand this thinking at all. TS4 is WAY more goal-oriented than TS3!

And yes, I know you don't have to do the goals, but you didn't have to do them in TS3, either!! So yeah, this argument is as leaky as a faucet as far as I'm concerned.

That's on a failure of understanding the difference between individual wants and fears of individual sims based on a very complex systen of aspiration, personality, memories, current mood, life experiences, and turn on/offs, and the less complex scripted whims that pop up the same for almost every sim regardless of personalty. While some of the later TS2 expansions gave more spam wants ( life wanting to buy stupid plants), TS2 wants and fears system is the most open ended "goals" system of any sims game and it actually provided a sincere failure state unlike other sims games. Just because the wants and fears system of TS2 had genuine consequences both good and bad does not mean you are correct in saying TS2 was the most goal orientated of the series which is just plain false.

On topic: Again no one knows if that badge means 5 million copies sold, and as others have said, imagine how pirated TS2 and 3 were especially around the securom era. TS4 is very casual but a casual main game of a series with hardcore fans who require better and more content is NEVER a good thing. TS4 would have been better of as a laptop friendly spin off game, while an open world life simulation game with complex wants, fears, and personalities, and very wild custimization (in game world editing, color wheels, style changing) for more hardcore fans with higher end computers should have been our sequel to the main game series.
    edited June 2016

That's on a failure of understanding the difference between individual wants and fears of individual sims based on a very complex systen of aspiration, personality, memories, current mood, life experiences, and turn on/offs, and the less complex scripted whims that pop up the same for almost every sim regardless of personalty. While some of the later TS2 expansions gave more spam wants ( life wanting to buy plum plants), TS2 wants and fears system is the most open ended "goals" system of any sims game and it actually provided a sincere failure state unlike other sims games. Just because the wants and fears system of TS2 had genuine consequences both good and bad does not mean you are correct in saying TS2 was the most goal orientated of the series which is just plain false.

On topic: Again no one knows if that badge means 5 million copies sold, and as others have said, imagine how pirated TS2 and 3 were especially around the securom era. TS4 is very casual but a casual main game of a series with hardcore fans who require better and more content is NEVER a good thing. TS4 would have been better of as a laptop friendly spin off game, while an open world life simulation game with complex wants, fears, and personalities, and very wild custimization (in game world editing, color wheels, style changing) for more hardcore fans with higher end computers should have been our sequel to the main game series.

Bolded is why I didn't like it. I'm not playing sims to be a psych major, or work out the human condition. I do that enough irl.
  • CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    As long as TS4 is successful, that means a better chance at getting a Sims 5 so that's a celebration in itself.
    9Qewu5H.gif
  • LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    I've run out of space. Are they going to use that profit to make a world creator or give me another blank world or what?
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member

They can't be considered mini side games, when the bulk of some of the gameplay for EP's like University, WA and Ambitions are built around them, and have only one way to complete them.

Outside those packs, even if they are to the side, they are still required to be completed to experience the full gameplay of the game, as a lot of gameplay is exclusive by completing them. (for example my Sim wrote a biography of his manager, that could only be done via Opportunity. Otherwise he only wrote books that didn't sell for as much. Another Sim entered a eating competition (not Seasons), chess competition etc. lots of gameplay there that's reserved just for those quests).

They aren't really side games if they withhold gameplay that can't otherwise be completed.
    When you install the base game only, a lot of the activities in the open world can only be experienced by completing the goals.

If you want to play the tombs in WA, or the careers I'm AMB then yes, the Opportunities system is an integrated part of the gameplay. But you can also take your sim to the WA worlds without doing Opps at all, and you don't have to play the careers in AMB. The Opps are definitely not required for Uni because I rarely do them, and I don't play ITF at all so can't comment on that.

But I don't see why you think the optional Opp system was more directed than every blessed career in TS4, especially the GTW careers that lead you around by the nose all day long, or all the goals for kids in school, or all the party goals, etc. etc. so again I disagree with you.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited June 2016
    I don't get why we've got to fight about this.

The 5M could be any number of things. (Views on Youtube, Number of insults collected, Days or years worked) If it has sold 5 million copies, good. That means the franchise is surviving. If it hasn't, it's still surviving.

It doesn't mean we've got to batter each other to death with the pro's and con's of each iteration. They all have pro's and they all have con's. What they are is the opinion of the person involved. We don't need to be having 'My game's better than yours' discussions.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    edited June 2016
    Please, @Maxis, May I have a World Creator now? :pitiful eyes: Why_zpsqbjworsc.png

*And more options and less overgoofy smiling Sims - Thanks.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Rflong7 Yes I agree about a CAW tool. Some players would really appreciate that :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg