Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hungry? Wave at the Sky!

mattytudemattytude Posts: 212 Member
Now, I know the Sims is becoming more and more about "realism" in some regards (sans Aliens etc haha). The Sims 4 focusses on Emotions "for the first time ever" but today I found myself thinking with a lot of love for my old Sims. The Sims who used to wave at the sky when they were hungry. The ones who used to scream at a plate for 10 minutes because they couldn't get passed. What might now be considered a bug, was played on with humour and imagination.

Personally, I don't find TS4 as humorous as others in the series, but as I forever remind people on here, it's a different game and should be treated as such! I'd love to go back to play The Sims 1 for a while!

So a bit of nostalgia here - what other great memories do you have from "Back in the day"? Perhaps carpooling to your job as a getaway driver? Or getting fined for calling the fire brigade on a fire that went out before they got there?

It's memory time folks! :D:D

maxresdefault.jpg

Comments

• ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    Isn't that the pre-made house that came with Livin' Large?
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2016
    mattytude wrote: »
    Now, I know the Sims is becoming more and more about "realism" in some regards (sans Aliens etc haha). The Sims 4 focusses on Emotions "for the first time ever" but today I found myself thinking with a lot of love for my old Sims. The Sims who used to wave at the sky when they were hungry. The ones who used to scream at a plate for 10 minutes because they couldn't get passed. What might now be considered a bug, was played on with humour and imagination.

Personally, I don't find TS4 as humorous as others in the series, but as I forever remind people on here, it's a different game and should be treated as such! I'd love to go back to play The Sims 1 for a while!

So a bit of nostalgia here - what other great memories do you have from "Back in the day"? Perhaps carpooling to your job as a getaway driver? Or getting fined for calling the fire brigade on a fire that went out before they got there?

maxresdefault.jpg

Those floor patterns are on fleek!!! <3<3<3
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited June 2016
    I remember that house.

I also remember that I made a hexagonal lighthouse with decking round the outsides.

I loved that game!

I also remember wanting lifts/elevators and being made happy by Moni's Sims who made a lift before Maxis did. Her objects are still available for download somewhere I think.
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    I love the whistling sounds passing-by Sims made. And basically all music, voices, and sound effects. The nostalgia is real.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • ShimmyShimmyYaShimmyShimmyYa Posts: 545 Member
    The Mashuga House! I loved Sylvia Marie & Frankie. How'd you play ts1? I haven't been able to get it to work on windows 7 or 10.
    thnom_nom.gif

• mattytudemattytude Posts: 212 Member
    Some great memories guys!! I LOVED Livin' Large!! The carpets were amazing!!
    The Mashuga House! I loved Sylvia Marie & Frankie. How'd you play ts1? I haven't been able to get it to work on windows 7 or 10.

I haven't got it to work! That's just a sneaky screengrab from the net!! I did get it working on Windows 8 a few years back but it took a LOT of work, and after playing for about 10 minutes, I was like "I want to multitask..." haha! Grass is greener and all that!!!

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    It worked ok for me on my little "Samsung notebook" computer that had an Atom 1G processor and Windows 7 Lite but I haven't used that for a long time.

One of those impulse buys that have been bypassed by the course of events.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member

maxresdefault.jpg

Right now, looking at all those colorful patterned carpets, I'm missing them!
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

maxresdefault.jpg

Right now, looking at all those colorful patterned carpets, I'm missing them!

I wish we had those funky floors from TS1!!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    These floors would be sooooo cool! Things were a bit more outrageous then I feel! Baring in mind this was the first expansion pack ever!!! They'd look amazing with the new lighting too!!
    These floors would be sooooo cool! Things were a bit more outrageous then I feel! Baring in mind this was the first expansion pack ever!!! They'd look amazing with the new lighting too!!

Well it was the 2000's XD
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Well it was the 2000's XD

Haha, I hear you!! Though I remember thinking how futuristic that expansion was at the time. Remember the boomerang windows?? <3

• ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited June 2016

@ShimmyShimmyYa : I have it running on Windows 7. However, installation was very, very tricky because I had the Deluxe edition. It seems that on Windows 7, if you want to install Hot Date, you have to uninstall/reinstall Deluxe again, then try reinstalling Hot Date. I remember having to do this 2-3 times before the installation "took."
    EiFlric.png
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    yep... back in the day before the franchise became soulless and tedious.
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    Things that I miss from TS1:

1. The weird crank phone calls that caused your sim to wave her hand angrily at the phone and hang up in a huff
    2. The parties that were so wild that Drew Carey would show up. The mime showing up if your party stank to high heaven, lol.
    3. The secret "bonuses" in some careers. In the business career, you always got a surprise $1K bonus when you reached Level 2 or 3 (can't remember which)
    4. The random juggling from sims trying to entertain other sims
    5. The inappropriate flirting that often resulted in the other sim turning the first sim down
    6. The creepy music that played when you got the phone call from your boss warning you not to miss too many days of work
    7. Downtown from Hot Date. I still pine for that in TS4!
    8. The bear (forgot her name) who showed up in Unleashed.
    EiFlric.png
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited June 2016

maxresdefault.jpg

I loved that house! It's so delightfully tacky (as were most of the Maxis made Sim homes from The Sims):D
    I couldn't get my original discs to work either. I had to buy the complete edition from amazon and play that way sadly. It seems to run fine on windows 7. Don't know about 10 though.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Mulder123Mulder123 Posts: 68 Member
    Oh man I loved that Lava Lamp. haha. The memories! Yeah that was the first love bed. I am not sure if I remember right but did it vibrate?

I am not one of those types of people that ever steps back. So I will never play the earlier versions of the sims again. However I find it very interesting to see pictures of it, how much it has changed to now.

By far the Sims 4 is turning out to be the best Sims ever. Each new version of the Sims improves on the game in some way or another, each in their own different way.

The only thing I miss the most is the open world in Sims 3. I hope in later versions, once computers speed up, we will have that back in the game. Which I am sure it will happen.

The graphics just get so much better. The interactions, the game play so much more improved. I'm especially impressed with the latest game pack 'Dine Out'. The food looks incredible now. I love the amount of drinks and food we get with the game now. So much choice. This will only get more in the future I am sure as they add onto it.

You can only imagine by Sims 10 in the future, how much difference there will be in graphics and gamplay. Looking back really makes you appreciate the advancement in games over the years.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I still play the sims 1 and 2! 3 on occasion.

The bed did vibrate In the sims 1 and the couple had the option to play in bed.

• jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,859 Member
    OMG the memories. Every room in that house looked like a club lounge just because of the flooring. Loved it! We need some hip clubby flooring in the game!
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    My first real memory of Sims 1 was not knowing Betty Newbie had no cooking skill and sending her to the stove to make lunch. She died in a fire and Bob cried for days! I felt kinda bad for him.
  • SimonSimpsonSimonSimpson Posts: 1,223 Member
    Step 1 - make gnomes. Step 3 - profit.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    I have my Sims discs installed and game running on Win10.
    Only workaround i had to use was downloading a "no cd" fix for it to run again.
    I know that those fixes are a no no but then this game is 16 years old so pretty
    sure its not a problem. :-)
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • BeanfootBeanfoot Posts: 602 Member
    Maybe this is kind of silly, but the chefs dying from anger over critical customers in Dine Out bring back the same black humour butterflies I remember getting from TS and TS2.
  • KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    Yeah I have mine running on Windows 10 also with the no-cd/Fixed exe but playing the Sims 1 is fun it reminds me of how the sims was long time ago.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh I remember this house... This was the first time I ever encountered a Tragic Clown and he became a part of this family. Also I loved the vibrating bed because it was the only place for Sims to get kids... Such nostalgia! I wish there were more expansion packs for The Sims 1 like a go to work one, university one or an apartment one.

I also wish for an orthogonal mode for The Sims 4, just because of the nostalgia of The Sims 1...
    a256aFi.gif