Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disappointed with the new patch and EAs agenda.

I was excited for this patch, until I realised EAs agenda, there agenda to get me to buy a gaming gaming computer. I was really excited for the new lighting but my laptop is just not powerful enough to run it and now I'm uninspired to play.

Comments

• Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    You were happy to play it before without the new lighting...
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited June 2016
    You have always needed a gaming computer to play the Sims games.

The requirements for the game is for desktop, not laptop. Laptops (and all-in-ones) are weaker than desktops. You need a high-end laptop to meet a midrange desktop.

Never look at the minimum - always look at recommended.

The requirements are for base game only.

The Sims 4 has also become CPU-heavy due to a patch.

Playing on a PC with a integrated graphics card will cause your PC eventually to fail/fry itself due to overheating/stressing the system integrated cards aren't meant to do, since they usually do not have the proper cooling for gaming.

You do need a gaming computer for the Sims.

Gaming laptops cost around $1,000 ($900 depending on sales).

Gaming desktops cost around $600 (off-the-shelf), $700 (building your own), and $800 (custom retailers).

Notifying...
    @chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited June 2016
    No one is forcing you to buy a new computer. You have the option to not play the game if your computer can't handle the game. As the game adds more and more the game becomes more powerful. Having a computer that meets the recommended requirements will insure you will be able to play the game as more and more gets added. It's not EA's fault you own an under-powered computer to run the game. The game's requirements are for a mid range gaming desktop not laptop. Laptops are weaker than desktop. You cant upgrade hardware in a laptop like you can a desktop either.

EA has this on their web. It is for desktop not laptop

RECOMMENDED SPECS:
    PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 or faster, AMD Athlon X4
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
    MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: 15 GB of Hard Drive space
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I suspect that if you put the graphic on medium and post processing on the lighting will still work. But I'm not sure, it's just a guess (I don't even remember if you can do that in the options)
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    SiliClone wrote: »
    I suspect that if you put the graphic on medium and post processing on the lighting will still work. But I'm not sure, it's just a guess (I don't even remember if you can do that in the options)
    Only works on very high (and maybe high) light settings
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    The Sims runs fine on My lap top, I can not Buy Desk Top's here where I am, So I have no choice but to run it on a lap top, I made sure to get one for gaming when I bought it though, Sorry your's is not doing so well.
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I wonder if anybody got the joke of the thread title :joy:

I did and I laughed when I read the post.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

I did and I laughed when I read the post.

I almost didn't click on it, then I got weak. Glad I did :)

@Keffers maybe it'll inspire saving money then playing again? (Though a week ago, I did better at buying lottery tickets when I decided I wanted a gaming laptop. Probably a good thing I only "needed" one for a week. It's really not the cleverest approach to computer upgrading.) FWIW, I find a lot of builds don't show off the lighting. I should play richer Sims more :/
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • NoogsterNoogster Posts: 627 Member
    I'm still stuck in Windows Vista, so... do with that what you will.
  • ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member

I totally rolled my eyes when I saw it and was just like: here we go again
  • NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    That's unfortunate. I think you have to have a bit more powerful laptop in the near future. Simmers are asking for changes like better lighting and so I think the game will gradually require more and more power. But I am not an expert, this is what I think. I bought a new super computer (secondhand for 500 usd) for this game before it was released, and was very disappointed that the game was made for much less powerful machines. I would have loved more detailed objects and open world and stuff like that.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Why is everything an EA agenda?
  • GirklGirkl Posts: 254 Member
    Total non-tech person take on this but aren't all games that add regular content the same in that they eventually require more resources than they do with only basegame? I know TS3 did,and assumed this would be the same,in which case it's not an 'agenda' to require us to need higher-spec computers to cope as we add more and place more demands on them,more like a slightly unfortunate reality of life.
    "It's better to be over the hill than under it"
  • KeffersKeffers Posts: 984 Member
    This was a joke title, but I am disappointing that I can't enjoy the new lighting engine. (and I know EA isn't pushing me to buy a new machine).
  • JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member
    Keffers wrote: »
    This was a joke title, but I am disappointing that I can't enjoy the new lighting engine. (and I know EA isn't pushing me to buy a new machine).

Lol I got your joke and it made me laugh .. I gotchu OP!
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    LOL! I get it OP- believe I've been there. I finally broke down and bought a gaming laptop just because of graphics for the Sims-lol.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    So far my laptop hasn't given up, Hopefully It'll support it until I get a new desktop... desk, and the entire office will be finished with the renovations .
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think they are getting kick backs myself :D and whew.... this thread is a breath of fresh air.
    egTcBMc.png
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited June 2016
    Keffers wrote: »

I got your joke and I found it be extremely refreshing! I knew you really weren't saying EA was pushing you to buy a new computer. Laughter is the best medicine and we all need something healthy to laugh at right about now.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • WingardimLeviosaWingardimLeviosa Posts: 204 Member
    I almost want to try putting my lighting to very high just to see how it looks, lol. My poor laptop might explode if I do though.
    C0gfE.gif
  • GirklGirkl Posts: 254 Member
    I almost want to try putting my lighting to very high just to see how it looks, lol. My poor laptop might explode if I do though.

*takes cover*

"It's better to be over the hill than under it"
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited June 2016
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    So far my laptop hasn't given up, Hopefully It'll support it until I get a new desktop... desk, and the entire office will be finished with the renovations .

My laptop runs it smoothly - on high settings. I can't afford a gaming computer, so this is the only device I can play it on. I don't think I've ever had $600 to spare on anything in my entire life, lol. Might save $10 a month and in 5 years I'll have enough. o:)
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    You have always needed a gaming computer to play the Sims games.

The requirements for the game is for desktop, not laptop. Laptops (and all-in-ones) are weaker than desktops. You need a high-end laptop to meet a midrange desktop.

Never look at the minimum - always look at recommended.

The requirements are for base game only.

The Sims 4 has also become CPU-heavy due to a patch.

Playing on a PC with a integrated graphics card will cause your PC eventually to fail/fry itself due to overheating/stressing the system integrated cards aren't meant to do, since they usually do not have the proper cooling for gaming.

You do need a gaming computer for the Sims.

Gaming laptops cost around $1,000 ($900 depending on sales).

Gaming desktops cost around $600 (off-the-shelf), $700 (building your own), and $800 (custom retailers).

Notifying...
    @chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13

Nope, my origin gaming laptop is actually MORE poowerful than my gaming PC and has PC components in it (not integrated) so that actually isn't true. It will run you $3000 though for the one I have.