Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are Patch Features Really Optional?

13...Next

Comments

  • Options
    FluffusCanarusFluffusCanarus Posts: 103 Member
    ASDF0716 wrote: »
    :| If only people could state their opinions in a respectful way instead of an offensive way.

    Until EA devises some way to make entire patches optional (bug fixes and all), which I doubt because people want those fixes, the closest they can do is make some content in a patch optional. Which is what they did

    there is no way to state an opinion that degrades LGBTQ as a group of people that exist and not be offensive.

    That's what I'm saying. A majority of these 'opinions' that I have seen yesterday and today have been nothing but rude and disrespectful. I do believe there is way for someone to state their opinion WITHOUT degrading or attacking LGBTQ people. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot of that on the forums
    In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.- Coco Chanel
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Also, it's not most of us.
    It's a very few intolerant people that probably should stop playing the game if it bothers them that much. Just like people stopped playing because toddlers didn't come.

    you don't know any more about how many people got turned off than I do. What I do know is the only uncensored comment place that I've found was the article on The Sims official site. If you go trough the comments besides just looking at the top rated there are plenty of people that go "I don't want this in my game", "I feel uncomfortable", etc. As for the rest, of course after a day or two of censorship people will give up on trying to express themselves. They will just leave. And the agreeing side will think that they're the majority again, because everyone else has been purged.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Technically updating the game is optional, but we can't pick and choose the updates. http://eacom.s3.amazonaws.com/EULA_Origin_PC_US+ROW+en+10+20+15+(current).pdf

    "Application Updates. You agree that the Application may automatically
    download and install updates, upgrades and additional features that EA deems
    reasonable, beneficial to you and/or reasonably necessary. You acknowledge
    and agree that any obligation EA may have to support the previous version(s)
    may be ended upon the availability of the update, upgrade and/or
    implementation of additional features. This License shall apply to any updates,
    upgrades and/or additional features that are not distributed with a separate
    license or other agreement. "

    Installing updates is optional according to this,
    "Auto-Update Feature. The Application will automatically install updates to the
    software you install and/or launch through the Application, including the Application, as
    well as your games. The Application may also automatically check your games to ensure
    they are not damaged. You can opt out of this feature by going to the Settings tab and unchecking
    the box next to “Automatically keep my games up to date.” Note that by opting
    out of the features, your games, the Application, and other software installed and
    launched via the Application will not be updated and EA will not be able to detect any
    damage to your games. "
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Man, people (on both sides) are getting so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about this.

    Some people are not comfortable with the idea of transgendered people. For whatever reason. Maybe they're religious, or maybe they come from a country where that sort of thing just isn't talked about. Maybe they're even in denial about who they are. Who knows.

    Not everyone has to accept everybody else. It'd be nice if the world worked that way, but it doesn't. It's just not part of human nature for everybody to live in peace and harmony.

    If it upsets you that someone on the internet can't accept you for who you are... just think. Do you REALLY give a crap what they think? They don't know you. You don't know them. Nothing of value is being lost by not being their friend.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited June 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Also, it's not most of us.
    It's a very few intolerant people that probably should stop playing the game if it bothers them that much. Just like people stopped playing because toddlers didn't come.

    you don't know any more about how many people got turned off than I do. What I do know is the only uncensored comment place that I've found was the article on The Sims official site. If you go trough the comments besides just looking at the top rated there are plenty of people that go "I don't want this in my game", "I feel uncomfortable", etc. As for the rest, of course after a day or two of censorship people will give up on trying to express themselves. They will just leave. And the agreeing side will think that they're the majority again, because everyone else has been purged.

    I think the number of people playing and the number of units sold are the actual indicators of whether this hurts them or helps them. It's too soon to tell.

    Edit: I just checked. There's over 30k people playing right now.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I've been using phrases or words to try to weed through the gallery for quite awhile now. I rarely like what's on the first page. When ghosts came out that's all you saw for a few days... this will pass some, but yes it is here to stay. You will need to learn to go in with certain words maybe traditional ect.. if some content offends you. I'm not putting anyone down by saying this. I rarely download sims as it's so easy to remake mine over (with the traits I've already obtained).. so I've been doing that unless it's a celebrity persona then I often look them up.
    The only possible question I have is if you download a sim that looks like a traditional male or female... then you find out the male is able to have babies or the female able to impregnate other sims. I guess I should do a test run. I know you can change sims you download so I suggest people take a look through the options before putting them in the game.. if they don't want that in their games.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    NoogsterNoogster Posts: 627 Member
    edited June 2016
    First off you don't know me and I am perfectly fine with all of this in real life because its real life and everyone should be equal. What I am not ok with is that in a game that I play and I don't find that content necessary at all its not like sims are real and so who cares if they are discriminated against.


    Do you not realise some of those sims were inspired from family members? friends? people the creator looks up to? Maybe even the creator themself? Just because you deem them disgusting or disturbing sims does not make it so.

    You are entitled to an opinion, and you can be rational, but you chose to include harsh words therefore you no longer have the respect you may have gotten and now do not deserve. I am also directing this towards SweetieTreats.





  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited June 2016
    Gruffman wrote: »
    To answer the question ...

    Are patch features really optional.

    No. You must download the patch to update the game. Therefore, patches themselves and the content that come with it are not optional. You must have them for the game itself.

    However.

    It is optional for you to use. Just like 'woohoo in bush'. It is there, but you don't have to use it at all ... it is an optional woohoo spot besides the bed or the cooking 'grilled cheese'. If you have a dislike for grilled cheese, there are many other dishes your sim can cook. That is all up to you.

    That's not entirely true. There were a lot of features introduced in the past that negatively affected my gameplay because they didn't offer any options. At least they did with this one. But I do agree with the feelings toward forced patches as I've voiced this several times. What I find amusing now though, is the same people that basically told me I was in the wrong for feeling that way are the exact same people who are complaining about forced patches now. I'm having a great time reading the forums the last couple of days because I'm just that type of person.

    I don't appreciate the bigotry curtailing on its high horse right now, but I am enjoying the uproar toward the forced patches they all praised and acted condescendingly towards others who felt this way about things they didn't see a problem with before.

    I'm enjoying seeing what people's true colours are. It's very eye-opening and makes me feel so much like a better person, despite my vindictive undertone toward the situation. The hypocrisy is truly astounding.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Also, it's not most of us.
    It's a very few intolerant people that probably should stop playing the game if it bothers them that much. Just like people stopped playing because toddlers didn't come.

    you don't know any more about how many people got turned off than I do. What I do know is the only uncensored comment place that I've found was the article on The Sims official site. If you go trough the comments besides just looking at the top rated there are plenty of people that go "I don't want this in my game", "I feel uncomfortable", etc. As for the rest, of course after a day or two of censorship people will give up on trying to express themselves. They will just leave. And the agreeing side will think that they're the majority again, because everyone else has been purged.
    I was referring to people on the forums, not on other social media sites.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Noogster wrote: »
    First off you don't know me and I am perfectly fine with all of this in real life because its real life and everyone should be equal. What I am not ok with is that in a game that I play and I don't find that content necessary at all its not like sims are real and so who cares if they are discriminated against.

    You are very well bashing the creators of said content.
    Do you not realise some of those sims were inspired from family members? friends? people the creator looks up to?


    Yes and I have discriminated my simself to saying that but I don't want her to go around in male clothes because its content I never asked for. I feel very strongly about what content I want in my game and that isn't a choice I would pick to be there.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Maylee2Maylee2 Posts: 179 Member
    @ASDF0716 @pepperjax1230 oh grow up would you?
  • Options
    Audio_5urfAudio_5urf Posts: 655 Member
    >inb4 thread is closed because we're all being douchers over optional content

    if only it were so easy for people to realize they should not care about what doesn't directly effect them.

    hate the the new features? cool, don't click on them in cas, and search for new hashtags.

    love the new features? cool, keep doing you.


    Lets make The Sims 4 great again!
    -- Origin ID: Audio5urf --
    Feel free to add me, and check out my gallery shenanigans.
  • Options
    ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    Noogster wrote: »
    First off you don't know me and I am perfectly fine with all of this in real life because its real life and everyone should be equal. What I am not ok with is that in a game that I play and I don't find that content necessary at all its not like sims are real and so who cares if they are discriminated against.

    You are very well bashing the creators of said content.
    Do you not realise some of those sims were inspired from family members? friends? people the creator looks up to?


    Yes and I have discriminated my simself to saying that but I don't want her to go around in male clothes because its content I never asked for. I feel very strongly about what content I want in my game and that isn't a choice I would pick to be there.

    IT'S NOT IN YOUR 🐸🐸🐸🐸 GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    That's not entirely true. There were a lot of features introduced in the past that negatively affected my gameplay because they didn't offer any options. At least they did with this one. But I do agree with the feelings toward forced patches as I've voiced this several times. What I find amusing now though, is the same people that basically told me I was in the wrong for feeling that way are the exact same people who are complaining about forced patches now. I'm having a great time reading the forums the last couple of days because I'm just that type of person.

    I don't appreciate the bigotry curtailing on its high horse right now, but I am enjoying the uproar toward the forced patches they all praised and acted condescendingly towards others who felt this way about things they didn't see a problem with before.

    I'm enjoying seeing what people's true colours are. It's very eye-opening and makes me feel so much like a better person, despite my vindictive undertone toward the situation.

    was always against forced patches. My gameplay wasn't hurt in two years until now, but I know that it was inevitable. Always asked for toddlers, if they come, to be put into optional patches, but I did not know that this controversial piece of cake was going my way. I suppose serves me right for trying to keep up with The Sims again and spending over 200$. Now I feel like I threw all of that away.
  • Options
    Maylee2Maylee2 Posts: 179 Member
    Audio_5urf wrote: »
    >inb4 thread is closed because we're all being douchers over optional content

    if only it were so easy for people to realize they should not care about what doesn't directly effect them.

    hate the the new features? cool, don't click on them in cas, and search for new hashtags.

    love the new features? cool, keep doing you.


    XDDDDD Douchers! Hilarious XDDDDDDDD
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    ASDF0716 wrote: »
    Amiutza wrote: »
    ASDF0716 wrote: »
    They Gallery and downloading Sims. There is a filter for CC but not for this.

    oh, give me a break! Your sensitive, intolerant, conservative eyes aren't going to melt if you happen to see a guy in a dress on the Gallery. I swear.
    Not everyone wants to see that in the gallery I find it creepy and disturbing and I never asked for this content in my game so I don't blame her for asking that question I would to.
    Really? Calling other people's way of life creepy and disturbing because you don't understand it? Can you refrain from such comments? Or do you need to repeat them over and over?

    I feel like the "creepy and disturbing" is becoming the motto of this patch for some of y'all.
    I said the gallery is creepy and disturbing not anyone on the forum you misread that.

    oh please- your point was well understood.
    First off you don't know me and I am perfectly fine with all of this in real life because its real life and everyone should be equal. What I am not ok with is that in a game that I play and I don't find that content necessary at all its not like sims are real and so who cares if they are discriminated against. I wouldn't want a real person to be because this is a free world we are allowed to be whoever we want to be. So you are very wrong that you think I am in the hate group. I am in the hate group over content in a game that isn't even real and doesn't represent anyone on the forum. We are all entitled to our opinions and that is mine.
    I'm kinda tired of people trying to seem "progressive" yet not wanting these things in their media (games, shows, movies, books, ect.).

    If you really were fine with in the real world, you wouldn't care about it here. You would actually be happy, because these people are finally being acknowledged and represented in our games.

    So no, I do not genuinely think you're fine with it in real life. It's just that in real life you'd probably get worse backlash for saying something about it than if you did it on the internet.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Noogster wrote: »
    First off you don't know me and I am perfectly fine with all of this in real life because its real life and everyone should be equal. What I am not ok with is that in a game that I play and I don't find that content necessary at all its not like sims are real and so who cares if they are discriminated against.

    You are very well bashing the creators of said content.
    Do you not realise some of those sims were inspired from family members? friends? people the creator looks up to?


    Yes and I have discriminated my simself to saying that but I don't want her to go around in male clothes because its content I never asked for. I feel very strongly about what content I want in my game and that isn't a choice I would pick to be there.

    Your simself will only have to ever wear male clothing if you want.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Maylee2Maylee2 Posts: 179 Member
    ASDF0716 wrote: »
    Noogster wrote: »
    First off you don't know me and I am perfectly fine with all of this in real life because its real life and everyone should be equal. What I am not ok with is that in a game that I play and I don't find that content necessary at all its not like sims are real and so who cares if they are discriminated against.

    You are very well bashing the creators of said content.
    Do you not realise some of those sims were inspired from family members? friends? people the creator looks up to?


    Yes and I have discriminated my simself to saying that but I don't want her to go around in male clothes because its content I never asked for. I feel very strongly about what content I want in my game and that isn't a choice I would pick to be there.

    IT'S NOT IN YOUR 🐸🐸🐸🐸 GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!

    I have to agree with you.

    e62.gif
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    I don't really mind this patch because the new cas ''OPTIONS'' (That is exactly what they are) don't affect me if I don't actively want it to affect my gameplay.

    The only thing I was concerned about were the townies, but since we have full control, I don't mind, and I do not see the issue with this patch.
  • Options
    mousemuffinmousemuffin Posts: 27 Member
    @pepperjax1230 If you don't want your sim in "male clothes" then don't put her in "male clothes". I don't see the issue here. You don't even have to see these clothes when picking outfits for your female sim if you don't want to. Just filter it out.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    That's not entirely true. There were a lot of features introduced in the past that negatively affected my gameplay because they didn't offer any options. At least they did with this one. But I do agree with the feelings toward forced patches as I've voiced this several times. What I find amusing now though, is the same people that basically told me I was in the wrong for feeling that way are the exact same people who are complaining about forced patches now. I'm having a great time reading the forums the last couple of days because I'm just that type of person.

    I don't appreciate the bigotry curtailing on its high horse right now, but I am enjoying the uproar toward the forced patches they all praised and acted condescendingly towards others who felt this way about things they didn't see a problem with before.

    I'm enjoying seeing what people's true colours are. It's very eye-opening and makes me feel so much like a better person, despite my vindictive undertone toward the situation. The hypocrisy is truly astounding.

    I can see that. There are a lot of features I don't care for much either ... aliens being a big one ... but that is not really the place for here.

    I do have a hypocrisy meter that I have used before in other threads ....
  • Options
    JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    What I find amusing now though, is the same people that basically told me I was in the wrong for feeling that way are the exact same people who are complaining about forced patches now. I'm having a great time reading the forums the last couple of days because I'm just that type of person.

    I don't appreciate the bigotry curtailing on its high horse right now, but I am enjoying the uproar toward the forced patches they all praised and acted condescendingly towards others who felt this way about things they didn't see a problem with before.

    I'm enjoying seeing what people's true colours are. It's very eye-opening and makes me feel so much like a better person, despite my vindictive undertone toward the situation. The hypocrisy is truly astounding.

    I've noticed the same :)

    Not enough popcorn for this furore :)

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top