Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feeling upset about the forums today

Comments

• NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    edited June 2016
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    I don't think the main games in the franchise have ever really dealt with religious or cultural content though, have they? In that sense there's nothing different here.

I think there's a bit of a difference between people saying they just dislike the feature and people who decide to be rude about it.

As far as the update goes, it's 100% optional and it defaults to being off. I think EA have even said that random townies shouldn't spawn with the gender features enabled etc so I think the only way it's going to show up in the game is if you choose for it to. Compared with how EA has previously dealt with new features I think this was done really well because, to me, it doesn't impose anything on anybody.

This... it was confirmed that the new features are totally in the players controls. No townies will have these unless you make them and place them in your game. The fact that we are finally getting OPTIONS! is really fantastic. It means that all simmers can play they way they want to regarding CAS

*edited @SimGuruLynndsay tweeted that the game will not automatically create any NPC's using this new functionality.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    mrnhmath wrote: »
    mrnhmath wrote: »
    The exit is on the right.

I am not dismissing anyone. This forum is so oversensitive.

The forum is currently dealing with pretty heavy issues that relate to personal identities, cultural values and histories of persecution...a good reason to be "oversensitive" in my opinion so please be mindful of your attitude.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    "Religion does not matter to me and 99% of the world." Ok.

Anyways, I feel the same OP. Sadly, I see this thread being closed as well.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    But it doesn't change your game, at all. You can still have your old cas so what is the problem? It's not like EA has switched men and women clothing forcing you into anything. They just gave everyone more options if they want to use them

I'm happy they didn't but it's to the point we can't even ask for some sort of gameplay about religion like The Sims Medieval had because even bringing up that sort of gameplay is against rules. I don't get that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited June 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »
    It's just complete censorship everywhere. And it made me feel so alone in my views and opinions.

So you are basically saying you are allowed to force your opinion down other people's throats and people who have a different opinion than yours do not deserve to have an opinion?

No matter who you are, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • foussifoussi Posts: 642 Member
    Sim_Lucent wrote: »
    foussi wrote: »
    I am kinda feeling bad right now.
    I need to excuse for my manners today.
    Normaly i am calm but today kinda maked me upset.

Understandable.. Some of the comments have been very offensive, today.

I hope the others calm down too.

I really want to do something to excuse for being mean.

• DivineHysteriaDivineHysteria Posts: 732 Member
    And like someone said

everything in the updates are OPTIONAL.
    So whether you're religious or not...everyone should still have a good time simming.
    xo0yscju
    edited June 2016
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    I don't feel like religion should ever touch a video game.

Religion is universally awful - the world would be better off without it. War, oppression, prejudice - religion has been a driving force behind all the bad in the world.

Not that I'd ever consider outlawing religion, but nobody should cater to the needs of religious people when religion is nothing but a man-made ideology, constructed to explain things simple minds couldn't comprehend 2000 years ago.

Everything we do is a man-made ideology. Capitalism, Democracy, Nationalism, Christianity etc. etc. all result in violence. So you can't blame "religion" (whatever you're defining as religion) as being a major cause of human turmoil.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I feel like The Sims 4 is no longer "play your own way", but "think the way you're intended to think". I'm very happy about all of those that are enjoying the update, however I couldn't exactly get into the game after today, after I got to understand that one side of simmers will always get censored.

1. The game will never have cultural traditions, or religion. Mere mention of these things will shut your thread down (as well as this one eventually, probably. Will try to take pictures of the thread beforehand though).
    2. You're bad, evil, or backwards if you are uncomfortable with the new gender settings. That is what the forum will label you. Poland didn't even do a write up about the new update and everyone is bashing the country, instead of carefully considering the views and needs of other countries.
    3. Just asking "can updates be optional?" got my thread deleted. Seriously. I suppose updates will never be optional, no matter how major the change is.
    4. Tried contacting customer support, they said that it's a developer issue and if an update upsets me I should come and post here, however posting here gets the threads deleted.

Overall I feel like the more conservative simmers are not welcome on the forums or in game. Even if you're rather open minded and just not too comfortable with, for example, two men being able to have a baby, you have no way to take those options out of your game.

I can see were your coming from but we still have the option to use them or not even with the update.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

So you are basically saying you are allowed to force your opinion down other people's throats and people who have a different opinion than yours do not deserve to have an opinion?

No. I just rather my posts were kept up somewhere, instead of everything that one side wrote getting deleted and everything of the other side being kept up. I understand that it's not a big deal. It's just upsetting to see such heavy censorship trough out all of the simming community.

Religion is universally awful - the world would be better off without it. War, oppression, prejudice - religion has been a driving force behind all the bad in the world.

Not that I'd ever consider outlawing religion, but nobody should cater to the needs of religious people when religion is nothing but a man-made ideology, constructed to explain things simple minds couldn't comprehend 2000 years ago.

I'm sorry if this upsets anyone, but I am so sick of religious/conservative people moaning that they are the ones being oppressed just because men dress in drag and they find it offensive/disgusting/wrong. It's pathetic.

TSM had religion. I would like to see those who want that in their game get it as much as I have supported those who want toddlers and cars, and gender neutral clothing. I want to be fair to everyone as long as I'm not forced to play like anyone else.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    edited June 2016
    I suppose we should carefully cater to the needs of everyone, every religion and every country, however backwards they may be. Considering the level of hostility in Russia towards homosexuals, we should perhaps ban homosexual relationships in the game to protect their feelings. Maybe we should prohibit females from driving in TS2/TS3 so people from Saudi Arabia feel 'comfortable' playing the game.

Sorry, but not everyone's opinion deserves to be respected, and I will make no effort to respect everyone's opinion. This is 2016 - adapt, or get left behind. It's your choice. History will no doubt judge you cruelly - and people will look back in 60 years and wonder why allowing virtual characters in a game to wear clothing designed for the opposite sex was ever a big deal at all.

Get. Over. It.

No, man. You don't to agree with the opinions, but you need to respect the owners of the opinions because, just like you they are humans.

If this game was made in Russia, certainly there wouldn't be homosexuals. The game is made in the US, so it reflects 2 things. The "common sense of values" in US and the feelings and desires of the community that plays the game.

You don't need to attack people because they are "behind" you. Not me neither you is the one who is right here. Good and evil, right and wrong, all those concepts are relatives. If you can't respect different opinions how do you expect someone to respect yours?

I agree with you that this patch means a lot for many and many people, but I would never disrespect people that have a different mindset of me. Even Maxis thought about it.

Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    I haven't been able to get on the forums until now and only briefly got into the game to check it out. I don't know why posts were deleted but that usually only happens when posts or comments made to them get out of hand.

I will say I'm thrilled with the new options! They are completely optional and you in no way are forced to use them so why would you have such an issue with it? Many of these things have been asked for since TS2 and many people have used mods in order to get these options. For my current generation I doubt I'll be using anything more than some clothing and hair options but I know I will use these options in the future and I love that I don't have to use mods or CC to do it!
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • aavemyrskyaavemyrsky Posts: 143 Member
    More_Moore wrote: »
    The thing is YOU'RE not getting censored. you still have the option to play like YOU want to. The only difference is that now OTHER people can play as THEY want to.

And to complain about giving others the OPTION to play like they want to is pretty horrible no matter how you slice it (That's where the whoa it's wrong comes in - not because YOU don't want to play that way but because you feel everyone should only have the choice to play YOUR way). Because nothing was taken from you. Nothing.......In fact at default it's still TS4......you don't even have to look at the options almost whatsoever unless you WANT to. ._.;;

It's not just your game. Everyone else should have the opportunity to play too. First it's "well if only the townies didn't dadada" and they gave it, then it was "if only the CAS filter dadada" and they gave it.......and now it's "BUT I DONT WANT THE OPTION IN MY GAME AT ALL".

And this is where I get to the point where I say: Get over it. There are other players besides your group. This game caters to more than just a specific group now.

^ I really don't have anything to add, just wanted to say THANK YOU @More_Moore and express that I agree with you 100%. Nothing is taken away from anyone here, but a great number of players are considered and the whole environment is made safer and more sensitive to everyone. This is a huge step in the gaming community, and I'd like to think it reflects the whole society as well and shows us that this should be normal today.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Paging @SimGuruDrake to close this thread.

Sorry but this is no place for Religion, Politicts and plain ignorance and hatred.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    @shnewbe08 SimGuruLynndsay tweeted that the game will not automatically create any NPC's using this new functionality. If you do not want these features in your game then they wont be there. This patches changes can only be accessed by the player in CAS. So you rule your game in this regard.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited June 2016

I don't think it's fair to make such a blanket sweeping statement about religion, I certainly wouldn't say religion is for the simple minded.

I personally identify as being an atheist but I don't think everyone who chooses to believe in what they believe is inherently out to spread hatred or conflict. The way people are treated under the name of "religion" is absolutely abhorrent but if "religion" didn't exist then I'm confident those same people would find some other blanket means to justify their hatred because they are horrible people. There are plenty of religious people out there who would condemn that kind of behaviour just as much as anyone else. We just don't hear about it as much.

That's how I view it anyway.
  • lejoninnalejoninna Posts: 4,287 Member
    just lol at you op. and lol at everyone who agrees with you
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    And like someone said

everything in the updates are OPTIONAL.
    So whether you're religious or not...everyone should still have a good time simming.
    Exactly. There are so many beliefs out there in the world that it would be silly just to cater to just one. I kind of like that my Sims tend to have a choice in that manner. I do have my own beliefs, but with how the options are sounding, it seems like I still have the option to play how I want which I like. I can tell stories in which Sims are family orientated or Casanovas. It is nice having that freedom of choice. There is nothing stopping people for making their own buildings too for weddings. Play how you want and let others play how they want too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited June 2016
    No. I just rather my posts were kept up somewhere, instead of everything that one side wrote getting deleted and everything of the other side being kept up. I understand that it's not a big deal. It's just upsetting to see such heavy censorship trough out all of the simming community.

Ah okay. :)

Some threads really did need to get deleted though - a thread earlier was flamebait and bashing Maxis and another thread became a religious debate; which are against the rules.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
    It's just complete censorship everywhere. And it made me feel so alone in my views and opinions.

I hope that actually includes 'everyone'.
  • BeanfootBeanfoot Posts: 602 Member
    Here in Canada, our Charter of Rights and Freedoms gives us Freedom of Expression which encompasses Freedom of Thought and Belief. That being said, in the first section of the Charter are the limitations clauses which bar exceptions to the Charter. One such exception is the limitation clause relating to Freedom of Expression (which I believe Americans call "Freedom of Speech") called the Hate Speech lc. True, you're allowed to hold an opinion and convey that opinion, but don't try crying persecution and censorship if you abuse that freedom to convey hateful or damaging messages. The feature is optional and unobtrusive, as many Simmers have stated today. Your discomfort with this update has no place in dictating a game that featured same-sex marriages long before they were legalized in the game's country of production.
    Paging @SimGuruDrake to close this thread.

Sorry but this is no place for Religion, Politicts and plain ignorance and hatred.

I think this can be a healthy discussion if moderated regularly and placed in a designated area.

It would be pretty silly of them to make these types changes and not expect any of these discussions to come up.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top