Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Patch vs. Custom Content

LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
edited March 6 in Nominated Threads
My apologies if this thread should be elsewhere, but since it's strongly related to the upcoming patch, I posted in general.

I'm just wondering how the new patch is going to affect CAS custom content. I've never made any cc clothing or anything, so I'm not sure how it works, but since they are making all (I assume all categories) CAS items gender neutral, will this disrupt the way cc items are categorized? I use a LOT of custom content, so if it causes conflict, that's going to be a whole lot of cc updating for me, haha. I think I'll just brace myself for the worst. :smiley:

Any theories are welcome.
#Team Occult
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• FinnatixFinnatix Posts: 46 Member
    I was thinking the same thing. I have an insane amount of CC xD
  • sekojranasekojrana Posts: 107 Member
    I've been wondering too! I'm excited for this patch but also nervous haha. I dont know much about creating it, but I do know for all clothing/hair there is a switch you can click to enable for specific gender, so I'm hoping cas cc won't be affected.
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I know the way it worked before the patch is items had a gender tag, male and female. If they kept that system and just made doubles for everything (lots of hair/clothes would need new meshes anyways) then CC clothes/hair tagged for one gender would still be there but only show up under what they're tagged for.

If they got rid of the male/female tagging altogether, then a lot of CC is probably gonna be broken.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    We don't know what the effect this will have on cc yet, but I'm guessing it won't really affect it. I think there probably will be some sort of unisex tag/category and that cc won't automatically show up there.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited June 2016
    hey @LiELF this Q maybe better asked in the mods section and since i dont code either :) i dont know if we should be worried or not or if the modders have any clue before the changes are made

heres what i do since basically we never know what fun stuff a new patch will bring to CC and mods. make a back up copy of your whole sims 4 folder - my documents/electronic arts/sims 4

when you update the game remove ALL mods and dont add back until creator confirms fine for new patch or updates

run a test game with just fresh files and nothing in your mods folder

if that goes well add back a copy of your old folder again minus any MODs, you can leave CC and run a test

if you have issues remove mods folder and test if the game runs fine again without mods folder its something in your folder. to determine which file(s) in your mods folder is problematic, test in batches

if you dont have any issues play on and again only add back mods that are deemed fine by creator.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    My apologies if this thread should be elsewhere, but since it's strongly related to the upcoming patch, I posted in general.

I'm just wondering how the new patch is going to affect CAS custom content. I've never made any cc clothing or anything, so I'm not sure how it works, but since they are making all (I assume all categories) CAS items gender neutral, will this disrupt the way cc items are categorized? I use a LOT of custom content, so if it causes conflict, that's going to be a whole lot of cc updating for me, haha. I think I'll just brace myself for the worst. :smiley:

It will affect it and you will need to remove them until they are updated.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    From what I have read they are removing the tag.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • kitangel1kitangel1 Posts: 200 Member
    I'm also curious how this will affect cc. >A> I fear the worst.
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I don't think so, at most I believe it just won't work on the opposite gender imo. But we shall see.

hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    From what I have read they are removing the tag.

I don't think they're removing the tag because townie generation won't be affected by this change. They probably added a new one, which could very well mess up CC.
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    That is my concern with the patch as I have a couple of CC hairs for some key characters, one of them being a very particular one that none of the official hair styles match at the moment. I guess we'll see what happens.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    Patch just released and people are updating. Hopefully, someone will be kind enough to post images or let us know how CC works with it.
  • orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I've just loaded up my game with my custom content, and it appears that CC that was previously marked as feminine stays feminine and works properly, but masculine CC you have installed won't show up on feminine body frames. And vice versa. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    So it still exists safely in your game, it just hasn't been made accessible for both sexes? Well that's kind of a bummer, but at least it isn't broken...
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    mizuru007 wrote: »
    So it still exists safely in your game, it just hasn't been made accessible for both sexes? Well that's kind of a bummer, but at least it isn't broken...

The original mesh of an item requires a different shape for female or female, it can't just adapt to any.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Amiutza wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

I don't think so, at most I believe it just won't work on the opposite gender imo. But we shall see.

The guru has posted in the modding section and it advised you read it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    Hi there,

With today's patch, CAS CC should continue to function as it did previously.

However we intentionally do not allow legacy CC to be used on the opposite gender or opposite gendered frame. This is because there are new authoring requirements in order for CAS parts to work in the new system. So CAS CC will need to be updated to work with opposite genders.

Full technical details for community tool makers are available here.

Thanks,
    SGMS
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    Hi there,

With today's patch, CAS CC should continue to function as it did previously.

However we intentionally do not allow legacy CC to be used on the opposite gender or opposite gendered frame. This is because there are new authoring requirements in order for CAS parts to work in the new system. So CAS CC will need to be updated to work with opposite genders.

Full technical details for community tool makers are available here.

Thanks,
    SGMS

thank you! really loving the new CAS options and needing to update CC should reduce issues for many players new to mods so really digging this as well! :)
  • ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    I can confirm that CC (hair, skin, clothing) does work in CAS as they have always done so. However, if you want your female to be masculine the CC clothing is not available, hair is but not clothings.
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    What does legacy cc mean?
    Oh and if i have a male cc hair and clothes, that's will work with the patch and i don't need to remove them?
    @SimGuruModSquad
  • ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    graventhe wrote: »
    What does legacy cc mean?
    Oh and if i have a male cc hair and clothes, that's will work with the patch and i don't need to remove them?
    @SimGuruModSquad
    They'll work for males yes. But not for females or males who are feminists.
  • SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    @graventhe : By "legacy" I mean CC that has not been authored to the new specification. So basically all CC that is out there as of right now.

Your existing CAS CC should work fine with the new patch, we have tested many pieces of CC without issue. However I cannot guarantee it since there is so much CC out there, authored in many ways, so we cannot test it all.
  • plantghostplantghost Posts: 25 Member
    for me with the new update, when i make a sim with a different body type than their clothing preference, a few weird things happen: EYEBROWS! all my game eyebrows and some of my cc eyebrows disappear, and i only have the ability to choose from 4 eyebrows, all cc. as far as clothing, all of my cc clothing disappears, even if i take off the gender filter. but as far as i can tell, all of my cc hair and accessories are working just fine.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    @graventhe : By "legacy" I mean CC that has not been authored to the new specification. So basically all CC that is out there as of right now.

Your existing CAS CC should work fine with the new patch, we have tested many pieces of CC without issue. However I cannot guarantee it since there is so much CC out there, authored in many ways, so we cannot test it all.

Thank you for answering! I will do some experimenting this evening to see what works and what doesn't. Glad to hear that some things are still usable. :smile:
    #Team Occult
  • HarrtsHarrts Posts: 24 New Member
    If you have something like the sims 4 studio you can edit content to show for both male and female bodies. However, it may not look right depending on how the creator made it :) I went and did that with all my makeup, I may try clothes soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top