Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to earn points?

Comments

• ThePoeticPreacherThePoeticPreacher Posts: 531 Member
    Amanda1980 wrote: »
    This whole earning points is going to take me for-ev-ah! I don't have any friends here, I don't know anyone, and while I admit I am a witty and fairly awesome person, nobody knows me. So I keep posting, likes and lol's seem few and far between. Day 1 and only16 points so far :/
    Anyone wanna point me to a taboo or risqué topic thread so I can dazzle some people with my insight and hilarity???

pick a category you want to post on and post something...post in the active page to...
    pO5uos8.jpg
  • StarbucksLover05StarbucksLover05 Posts: 87 Member
    The whole earning points thing is a pain in the neck :/ I can't wait until I'm done with it. 38 more points to go.
  • buzz_infamousbuzz_infamous Posts: 814 Member
    same here. it just takes forever! but i guess we have to be patient :)
    Origin ID: minimalcanary
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,571 Member

Hello :)
    I hope that you will soon get the required points and be able to become a member.
  • MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member

Looks like you're there now!
  • buzz_infamousbuzz_infamous Posts: 814 Member
    @miki @rosemow thanks! finally oh yeah!
    Origin ID: minimalcanary
    edited June 2016
    @miki @rosemow thanks! finally oh yeah!

That's a nice avatar.

Have fun in here

• AllMadHereAllMadHere Posts: 55 Member
    Jumanji wrote: »
    You gotta get them likes and laughs. It was much easier when they had the agree/disagree buttons

Lol, so it's like an elitist popularity contest. Fabulous.
  • xLunaSimsxxLunaSimsx Posts: 6,719 Member
    ahhh someone resurrected the thread xD
    MPy9H9S.gif
    edited November 2016
    AllMadHere wrote: »
    Jumanji wrote: »
    You gotta get them likes and laughs. It was much easier when they had the agree/disagree buttons

Lol, so it's like an elitist popularity contest. Fabulous.

No it is not.

The "Point system" is in place as a response to a trolling and objectionable-graphical-content attack 2 years ago.

Gross, lewd, or otherwise disturbing garbage posted by people within minutes of joining because they were out for a cheap thrill.

Its purpose is to have new members actually participate for a while-- write useful comments, get to know other members.. (Hence the "Likes" ) -- before being able to post an avatar, signature or link images from places like PhotoBucket.

Earning the 50 points is usually too much work for fly-by-night trolls and they leave to get their jollies somewhere else.
  • JerichoGirlJerichoGirl Posts: 20 Member
    While there may be a purpose which drove the system to be implemented, it does indeed feel like a popularity contest when points are earned through likes and such. Plus, not even being able to set an avatar or properly quote posts just gives this feeling of being beneath everyone else and frankly not that welcome here. (Not making signatures or posting links/images until trust has been gained in a community makes sense; I don't question that.)

I know part of that is my social anxiety issues talking, but honestly it does feel like being told "you're not good enough for the cool kids' table yet" and is rather frustrating and disheartening. The way I join communities is just by jumping in and trying to belong, but I can't comfortably do that when there's a giant plumbob of 'look at the outsider! Newbie alert!' Instead of an avatar. I feel constantly under scrutiny.
    While there may be a purpose which drove the system to be implemented, it does indeed feel like a popularity contest when points are earned through likes and such. Plus, not even being able to set an avatar or properly quote posts just gives this feeling of being beneath everyone else and frankly not that welcome here. (Not making signatures or posting links/images until trust has been gained in a community makes sense; I don't question that.)

I know part of that is my social anxiety issues talking, but honestly it does feel like being told "you're not good enough for the cool kids' table yet" and is rather frustrating and disheartening. The way I join communities is just by jumping in and trying to belong, but I can't comfortably do that when there's a giant plumbob of 'look at the outsider! Newbie alert!' Instead of an avatar. I feel constantly under scrutiny.

Hello @JerichoGirl .
    Welcome to the forums :) It is very nice that you have joined us on the forums. I hope that as you read and post on the threads, you will enjoy meeting and chatting with fellow simmers about your simming experiences and the sims that are in your games.
    You will soon be able to change your Avi photo. Most simmers know how they felt when they were new members and wanted to be a full member so that they could have an Avi picture and post pictures, and so empathise with you. Being a new member doesn't make you stand out. I am so sorry that the plumbob Avi is upsetting you. I send a hug to you <3 Simmers don't really take any notice of it, or if they do, they are glad to see a new simmer that is posting on the forums and are sharing in the Sims forum community.
    You will soon get the points /posts needed as you post on the various sections of the forums.
    @rosemow Thanks! Honestly, I think it's more my worries of the plumbib making me stand out as 'an outsider' that bothers me. It's at least not an ugly, generic silhouette like some sites use. I appreciate the words of encouragement, it helps quite a bit with the concerns about just jumping in and finding a niche here.
    @rosemow Thanks! Honestly, I think it's more my worries of the plumbib making me stand out as 'an outsider' that bothers me. It's at least not an ugly, generic silhouette like some sites use. I appreciate the words of encouragement, it helps quite a bit with the concerns about just jumping in and finding a niche here.

Hello
    You will soon settle into the forums. You will find parts of the forums that you especially enjoy visiting and reading /posting on the threads. It is understandable that it is a bit concerning when you start posting on the forums. As time goes along, you will get used to the forums and get to know simmers that are posting and feel more at ease.
    I will be looking forward to when you become a full member and can change your Avi :)
  • XorzhaanXorzhaan Posts: 92 Member
    @JerichoGirl I am in the same boat. I have been a member of the forums for years. I just stopped playing for a while, after I lost everything when my hard drive crashed, and when I come back they added this systems so now I can not even start my own topics.

Trolls tend to live on the forums, refreshing, and waiting for someone to post something so then can jump in and make sure everyone knows there opinion. So being forced to post more seems like they are encouraging them.

I feel like I am an intruder having to ask questions in other people threads. So now I am having to act like a troll and hunt posts that I can comment on. Not because I can help, just because I am required to up my post total.
  • Hal_EmmerichHal_Emmerich Posts: 22 Member
    So that's the secret!
    Xorzhaan wrote: »
    @JerichoGirl I am in the same boat. I have been a member of the forums for years. I just stopped playing for a while, after I lost everything when my hard drive crashed, and when I come back they added this systems so now I can not even start my own topics.

Trolls tend to live on the forums, refreshing, and waiting for someone to post something so then can jump in and make sure everyone knows there opinion. So being forced to post more seems like they are encouraging them.

I feel like I am an intruder having to ask questions in other people threads. So now I am having to act like a troll and hunt posts that I can comment on. Not because I can help, just because I am required to up my post total.

Hello @Xorzhaan
    You just need one more post and then you will become a full member.
    So that's the secret!

Hello
    You have the required points to become a full member, but just need a few more posts. You will soon have the needed 30 posts/50 points required to become a full member :)
  • XorzhaanXorzhaan Posts: 92 Member
    @despina53 Thank you. Telling us to go to the Off Topic section was the biggest help.

You can just go there and post to 30 different topics in a row, they all do seem to be games or silly posts just to up post numbers. Topics like "What song are you listening to right now?", "Post A-Z till someone posts a cow plant.", Word association, and a whole lot sillier ones. Go through them at least once a day and you should be able to post pics, change your avatar, or get a signature in no time.
  • despina53despina53 Posts: 1,654 Member
    edited December 2016
    You're welcome, @Xorzhaan :)

ETA: @JerichoGirl - I've been on the site since it opened and am still using the green plumbob. It isn't a way to single out the 'newbies'; it's just a plumbob ;)
    Call me Dee :p
    Proud member of the "Own The Store Club"
    edited December 2016

EDIT: If this looks like a re-run.. it is. I already wrote that this is not a "popularity contest" and why-- one post above you.

So -- "One.... More.... Time!!!

This is not the only forum with a policy like this.

The reason this was implemented was that, 2+ years ago people with nothing better to do with their time or their minds started opening accounts and immediately posting objectionable material, (avatars, signatures or links) disrupting the forums and violating the policies right off the bat, to get cheap thrills out of peoples' reactions.

So the administrators introduced this 2-tier membership system because let's face it, most of these kinds of punks want to get their kicks right away, not have to post and get to know people in here.
    That's too much work.

The system has, by and large, been effective. It is highly unlikely it will ever be changed until and unless all trolls abruptly vanish from the face of the Earth.

How are people in here supposed to know whether you are here to join in and participate, or are just another fly-by-night troll (who can't seem to get a life),--- until you join in and participate?

This is not a popularity contest it's not a middle school lunchroom-- A new member posts thoughtful or engaging content, introduce themselves and they always get the points. Points are a measure of a new member's participation, that's all.

You don't have to be all-knowing, super-witty or be a writer of deep thoughts, you just need to demonstrate the sort of patience that the trolls who come in only to post trash-- can't.

Period.

How a new member is treated is entirely in each and every New Member's hands.

@Miki Sorry, but I don't like re-runs, except when my favourite shows are involved. My post never said it wasn't effective at preventing spam, or that I don't understand the importance of preventing spam, or even that I think the system was maliciously designed to be a remake of Mean Girls. All I said was my personal experience/feelings, and that is not something I intend to debate. Let's just leave it at: "It isn't designed to be a popularity thing, but to some users it feels like fighting for a scrap of popularity anyway."
    edited December 2016
    @Miki Sorry, but I don't like re-runs, except when my favourite shows are involved. My post never said it wasn't effective at preventing spam, or that I don't understand the importance of preventing spam, or even that I think the system was maliciously designed to be a remake of Mean Girls. All I said was my personal experience/feelings, and that is not something I intend to debate. Let's just leave it at: "It isn't designed to be a popularity thing, but to some users it feels like fighting for a scrap of popularity anyway."

EDITED

I am sorry. Don't let anything I write discourage you from participating in here.

All I intend to say is "Indeed it is an unfortunate situation but that's how the cookie crumbles".

The troll attack in the autumn of 2014 was particularly ugly and everyone had their privileges restricted for a time while management sorted out how best to go about reducing the chance of a repeat occurrence.

That went for New Members and those who had accounts long before that rough stretch. Those with avatars and signatures were able to keep them, but not change them and new members could not post avatars or signatures until well after even attaining Full Member status

No one ought to take it personally. To do so only gives you gas.
    Post edited by Miki on