Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

anyone find CAS really hard?

I don't know how you all seem to make such great faces. I find the sims 4 way really really hard.
I can never push their features around how I want to. I end up frustrated and kind of give up.
I think its horrible (though I love the game)

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Not at all.

The first time I tried to push and pull it was actually really hard. But then it became easy and instinct like.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member
    edited May 2016
    First, make sure you choose a face similar in shape to what you want. Then it will push and pull more readily to where you're trying to go with it. Play around with it. Have fun. Try to make some really insane looking faces. You know, huge lips, overly-large nose, that sort of thing. This may help you loosen up and to not feel so intimidated by it. It's really a great engine in my opinion. But, it does take a little practice to get used to it.

Edited to Add: I should also say, Welcome to the Forums! I just saw that you're new.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I don't use it that often but when I do I randomize sims and then tweak them a little.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • -KendallKatz--KendallKatz- Posts: 244 Member
    I think it is somewhat easy, but I've had lots of practice. I've mustered up fir you a few ways to be a better creator.

#1: Gallery
    The gallery is my best friend! Download a base sim (Just by searchin 'base sim' in the community tab), or just randomize normally/ randomize from the gallery, and then tweak it for your satisfaction!

#2- Find Inspiration!
    Most people who create Sims have a noticeable aesthetic, style, theme, whatever you want to call it Most of their Sims fall under the same category. Find your style then go on Tumblr or other sharing websites and find Sims of similar styles. By looking at their features it may help to create your own style and Sims.

#3- Detail Edit Mode
    This is more of a tip, but if you haven't already use detail edit mode. when you click on something, for example an eye, click on the magnifying glass over the words 'detail edit mode'. Then, you can far more easily push and pull their skin for optimal customization ^-^.

#4- Presets!
    My final advice is presets! Click a body part, (for example, an eye again xD) then on the right side a whole bunch of different kinds of that body part should show up. Mixing and matching these should give you an unique Sim! Then, once you feel more comfortable start editing those parts, then start to weave you way into making your very own once you feel more comfortable.

Hope my tips helped! Tell me how you're doing after a while, and welcome to the forums!

origin id: slayingsims
    4677c7a6473e6a278b30e270c9b1e82a.gif
  • Phoenix_ForcePhoenix_Force Posts: 44 Member
    I was in the same boat as you, was a little intimated by all the options at first. But keep practicing and you’ll get the hang of it. And it's actually a lot of fun once you do :smile: Right now I'm working on some TV characters such as Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's a challenge
    Origin name: Duuuc
  • FinnatixFinnatix Posts: 46 Member
    First, make sure you choose a face similar in shape to what you want. Then it will push and pull more readily to where you're trying to go with it. Play around with it. Have fun. Try to make some really insane looking faces. You know, huge lips, overly-large nose, that sort of thing. This may help you loosen up and to not feel so intimidated by it. It's really a great engine in my opinion. But, it does take a little practice to get used to it.

Edited to Add: I should also say, Welcome to the Forums! I just saw that you're new.

This. I myself found it fairly easy from the beginning (especially after giving up on CAS in TS3), but it can take practice and the preset face you use matter a lot, so yeah. Just play around with it and practice :)
  • SimulanceSimulance Posts: 313 Member
    Hmm, at first it took a lot of getting used to but now I actually find it easier than the old way of making Sims. My advice would be just practice, practice, practice! :smiley:
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Nah, just limited in color choices.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SkewedReality04SkewedReality04 Posts: 1,450 Member
    It's harder than I thought, I tried to make my best friends face following a picture of her, and I just couldn't do it
  • marildmmarildm Posts: 49 Member
    When I palyed for the first time, I thought that was i little hard, but now I'm really good at the CAS
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited June 2016
    Familiarise yourself with the sliders (the push/pull) by hovering everywhere on a sim from front/side/back views, in full body/general/detailed modes. Find all the sliders and try pulling them in all directions to see the effect of each. Once you know where they are and what each one does, it makes it easier to make specific features. I didn't find out about the spine/posture slider until quite recently, same with neck depth (I knew about neck width).

Unless you are trying to recreate a real person/character, the easiest way is to randomise in CAS until you get a face with features you like. Maybe they have a nice eye shape, or they look mean/sad and that is what you wanted.

From there you can adjust anything you don't like, either directly or via pre-sets and tweaking.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    No, I think I did good. XD The first TS4 sim I ever made when I got my hands on the demo was my Dylan sim and he turned out to look the best. LOL.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited June 2016
    It gets easier as time goes by. For practice I would create a save file JUST for townie generation then just let the game go while I went go cook dinner or something. Eventually I figured it out and that not all features can be pushed or pulled into something special. Those townies just get deleted.
    Post edited by PsychoSimXX on

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I usually random the Sim until I find one I like the look of, then go about giving them different hairs, colors, and outfits. I don't edit the push and pull details of facial features much, because everytime I do I feel like things get out of shape compared to what I had in mind, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    It's extremely hard for me. I've pretty much given up, because I feel like I can't push and pull as far as I want to. Even in advanced/detail mode.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    At first I found it really difficult then I discovered that moving the sim in different angles (turning them slightly) makes it much easier to manipulate the features how you want them.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • WingardimLeviosaWingardimLeviosa Posts: 204 Member
    It was hard at first, but after spending some time in CAS I learned a few things. I learned it was a lot easier to take things slow than try to speed things up. I definitely have a problem with making the same kind of faces, though. Something I'm working on fixing.
    C0gfE.gif
  • SimplyRedSimplyRed Posts: 41 Member
    edited June 2016
    Sometimes I have problems achieving the look I want in detail edit mode. I don't know if that's because I'm playing on a laptop and using a trackpad instead of a mouse, or if it's because I've only created about 7 Sims so far. Other than that, I like CAS.
    Post edited by SimplyRed on
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    It's gotten a lot easier lately.

What I do is I spam the randomize button and I work with a sim I like, then I +Sim and randomize again, and then I choose those one I like better, or if I really feel like going further I play with genetics between the two and see what happens. Most of the time, I approve.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member

Great tips. Also pay attention to the preset features on the side, they have different shapes that can't be obtained by manipulation like an double eyelid eye or a mouth with more definition. You'll need to pick those features before you start working on customizing the face.

And yes it is hard, i still struggle because i can't always see the difference on the sim, guess it's got to do with the art style or something but just keep playin in cas. Practice makes perfect
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I would get frustrated too.. I'd usually pick a face close to what I wanted then try to barely pull it this way and that. Eventually I started making ugly sims on purpose and would pull and stretch the faces bodies all over the place... that's what taught me how to use it. I'm not saying I'm great at it I don't have a lot of patience to fiddle too long but I'm not afraid of it anymore.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Sim ShadySim Shady Posts: 297 Member
    The problem I seem to face a lot is making Sims that look very similar to one another over and over again. I really need to add some variety in there. Custom content used to be my go-to for making my Sims even more unique but I recently got rid of it all because I play on a laptop and my game runs so much smoother without it. I think I'm definitely going to branch out and try to be a little more creative with the Children in my current household's family once they become Teens though. It also helps that they're Sim/Alien hybrids.
    duck.jpg
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited June 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Not at all.

The first time I tried to push and pull it was actually really hard. But then it became easy and instinct like.

This is how I feel. CAS is definitely the best aspect of TS4 IMO.

All I do is randomise a face until I see one in a shape that I want, then I mess around with the eyes/nose/lips/
  • More_MooreMore_Moore Posts: 408 Member
    I also randomize until I find a base I like, then tweak to perfection.

It does have a learning curve, especially on a laptop (I use a laptop), but you do get used to it the more time you spend learning where everything is and familiarizing yourself with all the base components. And it seems other Simmers have given you guide links and more, so I won't bother with that, but I will wish you good luck and happy creating!
    Simmer since day one. Owns every Expansion and extras. Even the console games. XD

Feel free to chat me (I like games/RPGs, game dev, and animu/anime)