Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing On Multiple Platforms

I have already discovered that my iMac will be able to run TS4 better than my Macbook. I haven't actually downloaded the game onto my iMac yet because I still have a question. If I were to download and play TS4 on my iMac, would I be able to start where I left off on that computer, on my Macbook? I hope that question makes sense. Thank you!
>>>:Follow me on Origin and follow on the Gallery: @ AJroxs18:<<<

Comments

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    tagging @rosemow who might have an answer for you
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    You would need to move your user files from one computer to another.

All info on backsup here:

http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/backups/

If it's just a one time thing, you'll just need to do it once. If you want to go back and forth, you need to move them each time.

Sims 4 does not support cloud save.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    You'd have to transfer your save files from your iMac to the Macbook, and vice versa. As far as I know, there isn't a cloud system for origin and Sims saves.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,520 Member
    Hello,
    Make a copy of your sims 4 folder that is on your MacBook that is in Documents > Electronic Arts > ( then The Sims 4 folder is there ) and place it on an external drive.
    Then after installing the sims 4 game onto the iMac , play it once to generate a new sims 4 folder.
    In your sims 4 folder are your saves folder ( contains your save games) and the tray folder ( which contains your lots and households that you have uploaded to your library or have downloaded from the community gallery ) Replace the saves, tray, mods, custom music and screenshots folders that are in the new sims 4 folder with the same folders that are in the sims 4 folder on your external drive. You will then have your old save games and creations etc on your new computer, and you can play from where you left off.
  • AJroxs18AJroxs18 Posts: 311 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello,
    Make a copy of your sims 4 folder that is on your MacBook that is in Documents > Electronic Arts > ( then The Sims 4 folder is there ) and place it on an external drive.
    Then after installing the sims 4 game onto the iMac , play it once to generate a new sims 4 folder.
    In your sims 4 folder are your saves folder ( contains your save games) and the tray folder ( which contains your lots and households that you have uploaded to your library or have downloaded from the community gallery ) Replace the saves, tray, mods, custom music and screenshots folders that are in the new sims 4 folder with the same folders that are in the sims 4 folder on your external drive. You will then have your old save games and creations etc on your new computer, and you can play from where you left off.

Will doing this have any effect on my Macbook? If I do this wrong will I still have my saves on my Macbook?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited May 2016
    AJroxs18 wrote: »
    Hello,

Will doing this have any effect on my Macbook? If I do this wrong will I still have my saves on my Macbook?

It will have no effect on your MacBook at all - you won't be deleting the files, only copying them. And your MacBook will never know what's happening on the iMac :) (At least not for Sims - there's no syncing option between machines for Sims.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,520 Member
    Hello,

Hello :) It is what luthien posted, you are only copying the files, so the saves will remain on your MacBook.
  • AJroxs18AJroxs18 Posts: 311 Member
    Hello,

Hello :) It is what luthien posted, you are only copying the files, so the saves will remain on your MacBook.
    Hello,

It will have no effect on your MacBook at all - you won't be deleting the files, only copying them. And your MacBook will never know what's happening on the iMac :) (At least not for Sims - there's no syncing option between machines for Sims.)

Thank you!
  • OblongamanOblongaman Posts: 214 Member
    It is possible to set up cloud syncing for the Sims on your Mac. I was desperate to do it - I searched high and low and managed to find a way eventually.

It's actually relatively easy. You just need to have some cloud storage ( I use dropbox) and then you need to set up a symbolic link. The easiest way to do it is to use a small app called MacDropAny - you can get it for free here : http://www.zibity.com/macdropany.html .

I set it up in a couple of minutes. Once done the syncing will be done automatically so no need to copy files between drives. Just make sure you take a backup copy of your save files before setting it up.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Oblongaman wrote: »
    It is possible to set up cloud syncing for the Sims on your Mac. I was desperate to do it - I searched high and low and managed to find a way eventually.

It's actually relatively easy. You just need to have some cloud storage ( I use dropbox) and then you need to set up a symbolic link. The easiest way to do it is to use a small app called MacDropAny - you can get it for free here : http://www.zibity.com/macdropany.html .

I set it up in a couple of minutes. Once done the syncing will be done automatically so no need to copy files between drives. Just make sure you take a backup copy of your save files before setting it up.

Brilliant!

apple-signature.png