Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Youtube Copyright Question

Does anyone use the sims music that plays while in build mode during your videos and upload them to Youtube? I know there were problems with Copyright issues. For the Sims 3 and the Sims 4? Thanks!
Sara Sims - New Videos Daily! House Builds & CAS! Don't forget to subscribe! :)

Comments

• BinibiniBinibini Posts: 1,282 Member
    I commented on another thread with the same question. Basically, I use and buy music from Amazon (they have Sims soundtracks) and haven't had any problems with copyrighted material, so far. I have run into copyrighted content and was alerted on my YouTube admin panel, which I 'acknowledge' that I don't own, and that's it - my video is still viewable and playable in most countries...
    7qffjymyc7xj.png
    tap banner for 'such is life' | more projects + cc at facebook.com/jellysimwich
  • Saramore2708Saramore2708 Posts: 166 Member
    Okay good to know. What about making your videos monetized?
  • BinibiniBinibini Posts: 1,282 Member
    You cannot monetise anything you do not own. I would review the YouTube rules on this :)
    7qffjymyc7xj.png
    tap banner for 'such is life' | more projects + cc at facebook.com/jellysimwich
  • Saramore2708Saramore2708 Posts: 166 Member
    Okay. Because I seen some other Sims Youtube channels have their videos monetized. Thank you (:
  • ArubianaCalienteArubianaCaliente Posts: 448 Member
    I don't monetize, I turn off the in game music. If I'm doing something the requires music, I either use Youtube's royalty free library, JewelBeat or BenSound.
    Please check out my Youtube channel, thanks! https://youtube.com/user/RubySimsFatale
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    I have the same problem, I recorded a video of Resident Evil 6 but got the copyright claim. I turned off the music and no copyright claim appeared.

It's said that the game's music triggers it. If the music is disabled, the copyright claim doesn't appear.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • kelabetekelabete Posts: 7 New Member
    According to EA, you can monetize the videos as long as the gameplay is from a game that they publicly released (eg No pre-release review videos)
  • kelabetekelabete Posts: 7 New Member
    edited October 2015
    Well then again, I contacted an EA Advisor and they said you can upload the videos with music from the game (3rd-party music is a separate issue) and be alright. But then I asked if I could monetize the videos and they said based on the information they have in their help center, you can't monetize the videos. EA's website states that they are okay with commercialized videos (as of October 1, 2015), so it could just be that EA Advisors don't have all of the information. I have monetized my Sims 4 videos and so far there haven't been any problems, although most of the in-game music is cut out in my videos. I know there are a bunch of youtubers who post the Sims 4 soundtrack and monetize the videos (which I think is worse than having a little bit of the music in your videos), but they seem to be alright. Pewdiepie has in-game music in his Sims videos, and he's doing just fine. I think the worst case scenario is that youtube will flag it, and tell you that that specific video cannot be monetized, but EA's website and the EA advisors agree on one thing, and that is you CAN post gameplay videos on youtube without monetization.
  • IvoryShannonIvoryShannon Posts: 1 New Member
    Can you monetize a short movie that you make with the Sims 3 or Sims 4 if you use your own voice overs and background music???
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    you should be able to Ivory.
  • SheriBabySheriBaby Posts: 72 Member
    I think best bet for wanting monetized vids is turn off all music that isn't yours, use your own music or music from the free library or other free music sites. Otherwise you can use the music but you wont get profit
  • ashleymeganwhoaashleymeganwhoa Posts: 26 New Member
    What screen recording software are you all using for monetized YouTube videos? I was looking for something free, but found EZVid and essentially the terms detailed that they get to claim all that is earned because YouTube will recognize the music automatically tied to the video since you can't delete their music. I may be incorrect, but that was my best understanding from the research I've done.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    What screen recording software are you all using for monetized YouTube videos? I was looking for something free, but found EZVid and essentially the terms detailed that they get to claim all that is earned because YouTube will recognize the music automatically tied to the video since you can't delete their music. I may be incorrect, but that was my best understanding from the research I've done.

Open Broadcaster Software. It doesn't apply anything to your video, though is quite difficult to understand how to operate it at first :D
  • ashleymeganwhoaashleymeganwhoa Posts: 26 New Member
    Thanks @mirta000 :) is there anything else you'd recommend to make these kinds of videos as well?
  • AngiesSmithAngiesSmith Posts: 414 Member
    Can you monetize a short movie that you make with the Sims 3 or Sims 4 if you use your own voice overs and background music???

Yeah because it is game play. The problem their asking about is if you are able to use the Sims background music. If you are using your own music then you should be fine. Unless it is other copyrighted music than you need to look up the information for those songs.
    AngiesSmith.png
  • HyashiHyashi Posts: 39 Member
    I usually uncheck the background music option in recording options in game to avoid copyright claims. There are several sources for royalty free music, one of them is the Youtube audio library.
  • frozenorangejuicfrozenorangejuic Posts: 1,830 Member
    I have used the Sims 3 Main Theme in my videos with no copyright problems so far. I have however gotten copyright claims for music from the radio but I think it was a simlish cover of a song and the original song is what claimed it.
  • leepreeleepree Posts: 3 New Member
    help.ea.com/en-ca/help/FAQ/how-to-request-permission-for-ea-games-content

You'll need to request permission :) I haven't done it but I'm thinking about it
  • roman2886roman2886 Posts: 702 Member
    Does anyone use the sims music that plays while in build mode during your videos and upload them to Youtube? I know there were problems with Copyright issues. For the Sims 3 and the Sims 4? Thanks!

I just had a copyright claim from youtube that the song on my sims videos was copyrighted the song wasn't even copyrighted how did this happen.
  • TonniseTonnise Posts: 11 New Member
    I have been making sims videos for about 4 years now and never got a copyright claim. Am I really aloud to monetize from a Sims 3 Lets play with commentary and no music on youtube?
    What I could if I have music in my sims 3 videos and change the music straight away will that work in order to avoid copyright claims.

roman2886 wrote: »
    What I could if I have music in my sims 3 videos and change the music straight away will that work in order to avoid copyright claims.

• fionaloveserranofionaloveserrano Posts: 584 Member
    I would just turn off the music completely in the options menu. Then you won't get copyrighted.
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    The only music I've had issues with in terms of copyright is the new songs that came with Kids Room Stuff. The Tween Pop station.
  • NewbieSimmerNewbieSimmer Posts: 32 Member
    The only problem I had with the YouTube's Content ID/Copyright system was during my attempts to Let's Plays of Super Mario 64 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Even though I am a huge fan of a certain Nintendo character, the company's policies on Let's Plays, in-game music, and such made me discontinue those Let's Plays. And I do Let's Plays with and without commentary since I prefer that my viewers have that option of talking or no talking. EA doesn't really care as long as the game has been publicly released. Now there may be some issues of Simlish remixes of real life songs, but I've never played Sims 3 and I don't really play much of Sims 4. If I do use in-game music, I will use Sims 1 music since I haven't faced any issues with Jerry Martin's soundtrack.

YouTube: SariaFan93
    Tired, hungry, or bored? Wave at the sky and yell "Foogitsnat!"
    Pic%2B15.PNG

YouTube channel: youtube.com/user/SariaFan93/about