Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please Help Windows 10?!

2...Next

Comments

• February11February11 Posts: 12,643 Member
    February11 wrote: »
    What windows did you update from Colton?

Windows 8.1. o:)

We updated our desktop computer from 8.1 to 10, but I don't play sims on that so it didn't bother me, but I do on my 8.1 laptop and didn't want to run into any problems. I'm assuming you've not had any issues since upgrade?

No issues.

That's good.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

We updated our desktop computer from 8.1 to 10, but I don't play sims on that so it didn't bother me, but I do on my 8.1 laptop and didn't want to run into any problems. I'm assuming you've not had any issues since upgrade?

Laptops are a lot more sensitive to changing OS than desktop. Changing my laptop from 8 to 8.1 caused issues. I would leave your laptop at 8.1

Laptops are a lot more sensitive to changing OS than desktop. Changing my laptop from 8 to 8.1 caused issues. I would leave your laptop at 8.1

Oooh, I have every plan to! :o That's why I freaked out when I was doing a ladies hair, glanced at my laptop and saw it had taken off on it's own and leaped at it, and did the hard shut down to stop it!
    MLgj4Vx.png

Oooh, I have every plan to! :o That's why I freaked out when I was doing a ladies hair, glanced at my laptop and saw it had taken off on it's own and leaped at it, and did the hard shut down to stop it!

They are trying to force everyone to 10. It happened to me too. After it attempts to download it will ask you if you accept windows 10, decline and it won't update. Make sure you change your updates to get your approval before updating anything. Since I did that windows 10 has left me alone
    edited May 2016

They are trying to force everyone to 10. It happened to me too. After it attempts to download it will ask you if you accept windows 10, decline and it won't update. Make sure you change your updates to get your approval before updating anything. Since I did that windows 10 has left me alone

Did you see my earlier post about never10 tool? My laptop just started updating the without my concent. Go back to the end of the last page.
    MLgj4Vx.png
    edited May 2016

Did you see my earlier post about never10 tool?

No but Im good. Eventually they will stop because the deadline for windows 10 being a free download should be up soon

PS you should post a link to download the tool

Did you see my earlier post about never10 tool?

No but Im good. Eventually they will stop because the deadline for windows 10 being a free download should be up soon

PS you should post a link to download the tool

Will do, and the GWX control panel ... hang on ...
    MLgj4Vx.png
    edited May 2016
    Here we are ... https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

And the GWX control panel to disable everything if you get stuck with unable to update (go back to my last post on page one)

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    Microsoft has a lot riding on Windows 10. Vista was a resource hog and never sold. Windows 7 was good. Windows 8 was another bomb. With the public screaming that Microsoft get their act together so now we have Windows 10. IMO Windows 10 is everything Windows 8 should have been. Vista is dead. Windows 7 is on extended support so that leaves Windows 8 and Windows 10 with long term support. With new computers shipping with Windows 10 it only makes sense. DX12 is the next step up in graphics and that means Windows 10. The Vulkan api could make things interesting but is the new kid on the block. Rumors of Direct X on linux. That could get real interesting. All I know if you want to game with a 4k screen your going to need some high performance hardware and the latest software. I hope your saving up because it won't be cheap. The moral of this story is I have an above mid range gaming machine and I'm hoping to get that 55 inch 4k this year. If only they can get vid cards to play nice with DX12 - let the race begin.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    Any update from OP if the game is working again, or if it was just a driver issue? I voluntarily went from 7 to 10 and had no problems with the game. (Albeit on an nVidia chip rather than ATI.)

I am 50/50 about Microsoft forcing the update... while I'm all for free will, and I suppose it is wrong for Microsoft to force it, I think it is also good, because people will never update on their own. At work/online/in general I've seen far too many people with hardware/equipment/software from practically a thousand years ago (with the way technology ages) and then they wonder why something won't work or why they can't do something. It's certainly easier from a support standpoint if everyone is current and on the same page. :)
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    update: Dad vacuumed underneath my desk today and also told me that the tower's air vent was only on the left side which was up aganist the leg of the desk and he also moved it back towards the air vent of the libarary and tomorrow we may change the side of the tower to the right hand side

I'm currently on my laptop currently
    6adMCGP.gif
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I have no problem with my desktop and windows ten and the sims 4.
  • lauriej0823lauriej0823 Posts: 411 Member

I upgraded my asus from 8.1 to 10 because it was having issues with windows update and was slow and sluggish. works great since update but it also had the dual video card that is a nvida so it the driver was able to update to windows 10 one.

my husbands windows 7 was having the same issues with windows update. and then it would not update to windows 10 took it to best buy and they did clean install of windows 10 pc works great boots in 30 seconds only drawback the video card is old so pc wont go to sleep now. looking to update his video card.

• dlaribee88dlaribee88 Posts: 172 Member
    Update- Please give some advice...

I originally posted that Windows 10 wouldn't let me play Sims. I think it was a precursor to the death of my computer. After spending 5 hours trying to fix it, my whole computer crashed. So now I am going to need a new computer. I was pretty mad, but now I guess I have a good excuse to get a new computer.

I also play Fallout 4 and other games.

Any suggestions on a new gaming laptop? The Origion laptop, starting at $1999 is too expensive. I was thinking Alienware 17 but I don't know if they're really the best anymore...

Any recommendations?
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    @dlaribee88

Could you maybe make a new discussion thread? Post your budget and the country you're from. The other forum users will take it from there. Thank you.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • dlaribee88dlaribee88 Posts: 172 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    @dlaribee88

Could you maybe make a new discussion thread? Post your budget and the country you're from. The other forum users will take it from there. Thank you.

I created a new discussion but it's ok if people answer here too... I'd take any advice I can get lol