Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rich Vs. Poor

Comments

• EliseILouEliseILou Posts: 2 New Member
    I like building the sims' fortune myself, it makes me proud when they become rich. But every so often, I do create a 'rich' family and use motherlode but I do find I get bored easier when I play a rich family..
  • SuniroseSunirose Posts: 460 Member
    What happened to the middle class? You know, the people who aren't poor but aren't rich either?

I play rich, middle class and poor families. I like having that diversity in the sims world.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    I play with evolution in mind. I colonize and start everyone in small homes they can afford. Then I watch the world around them evolve as they evolve. If one marries another, I tear down the old house to make room for the newer affordable ones for the next gen. Some will move back into their old homes, others will start fresh.

When I first started my hoods, they looked like this:
    WC_1.jpg
    OA_1.jpg

Today, it looks like this, but it might not look like this next time I play:
    WC_3.jpg
    OA_3.jpg

Several homes are still in progress.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    I started off with a founder who lived on a lot with a bed , bbq and toilet facilities (went to the library a lot) and now lots of gens in the family has a big house and 0.75mil in the bank, lots of paintings have been sold and all teens have to get jobs.
  • TasaarTasaar Posts: 64 Member
    I haven't played TS4 much, because, well, the computer broke down. But in TS3 and TS2 I used to start out really poor and then build myself up to the top. In TS2 this took me several generations, in TS3 I could usually kick the Goth's out of the biggest house in 1 generation.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I'm trying to do what I call the minecraft challenge it's so hard, so basically I build a little rundown cottage, and all I bought my sim was a stove, refrigerator a sink and a bed, dresser, and he's going to craft everything else, furniture and mine ore for money.
    That's a really good idea for a challenge. I might have to try that since I love Minecraft. Probably getting a woodworking table as soon as possible would bring that Minecraft feel to the game. Good luck with the challenge. Thanks for the tip on trying to find something fun to do in the game next.

It'd would be much more fun if we could actually go caving for ore and we had animals and seasons and maybe supernaturals so crazy mobs could attack but anyway =p
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    Lex2221 wrote: »
    Do you prefer to play a family that has to work their way up or a family that already has everything they want and need? IMO I love to play families that have to work their way up because I actually have goals to accomplish. When I finally get the house I want and reach the top of my career I become bored extremely fast and have to start over with a new family with new traits and careers. Now for the people that enjoy playing the rich families, how do you keep your game fresh and interesting??

I definitely like to play a family that has to work their way up financially. But I've never played a family completely from scratch. I usually pull at least 1 Sim from the Gallery that has maxed out all their skills. So I guess that's cheating to some extent. They may not have a career yet, but it's definitely easier to get money. Every other member of the household, the wife/husband, kids, etc. are being played from scratch with no skills, etc.
  • Missa_SissaMissa_Sissa Posts: 328 Member
    I started out having my Sims work their way up, but I quickly got bored so I built a house from scratch and made a rich family. I have done this since Sims 3 and I keep it interesting by using the game to its full expansion. That's why I get bored easily because Sims 3 there were so many expansions and Sims 4 there aren't. But it should get better. I also have Sims switch jobs often.
  • Missa_SissaMissa_Sissa Posts: 328 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I'm trying to do what I call the minecraft challenge it's so hard, so basically I build a little rundown cottage, and all I bought my sim was a stove, refrigerator a sink and a bed, dresser, and he's going to craft everything else, furniture and mine ore for money.

You must be an Evil Regal. Couldn't help but notice. I am too. :)
  • CloudclawCloudclaw Posts: 28 New Member
    I used to play poor because I didn't know about cheat codes and it was fun, but now I just motherlode because I find more fun in making my house and all that, and the job thing isn't much fun for me because I only play one or two characters. ^^;
  • TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    I like to start poor. I usually play for a lot of generations so they don't stay poor. In TS3 they got rich very quickly. In TS4, its a little harder. I like that part. Bills are higher. Promotions are harder.
  • marie29marie29 Posts: 200 Member
    I used to play with familys that had money but I found it better now days to play poor sims till they work there way up. I like it better that way.
  • youcrAzy13youcrAzy13 Posts: 213 Member
    I prefer for a family to move up on their own, that way I could have a back story for future generations.
    Always and forever, Alyssa Edwards
    bibbby%20b.gif
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Using money cheats makes the game extremely boring for me. I'd rather work my way up. :)
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • ianbennettianbennett Posts: 173 Member
    When I first get a game/expansion I use cheats so I can experience everything it has to offer. Afterwards, though, I usually play a poor sim who has to live in a run down shack. Using money cheats all the time makes the game boring for me.
  • Liziann1Liziann1 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I do a bit of both, however I guess I mostly start poor with a single sim and do the whole family thing while trying to build skills and reach goals/ careers
    If I go rich, its normally because I am in build mode and want to design and decorate and I have a sim in mind for the home.
    Check out My showcase thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    or look for me in the Gallery
    aka DizziSquirrel

• AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    So far I've always started with poor sims, the other day i just decided to go for an heiress story.

With my main family, I started with nothing and worked my way up. I always work on aspirations and make sure to buy the extra rewards for slower decaying needs. They now have a 500k house and 1,3 mil extra. However, i am not bored somehow. I just got them a new house and I already want to redo half of the upstairs and all the bathrooms xD Having a lot of cc furniture really keeps me busy and always interested.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    I do both. However, it all depends on the house. If I've just built to build, then they're filthy rich and free housing cheat gets them my hard work. Sometimes I just want a house with "average possessions" which results in about a $60,000 house. They might work up for that, might not. Now if I feel like making the smallest house I possibly can (or no house at all), then I work them up as a rags to riches/Cinderella story.

I'd say that I usually do a poor to rich play through, but not always.
  • pottergoosepottergoose Posts: 1,543 Member
    I like setting it to long lives (skipping baby phase though, because three days is more than enough of that darn crying, lol. Then see how far they can build up their money on a longer lifespan, and see how many generations it'll take it before I get bored with that family
    I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition
  • KAYLANDAKAYLANDA Posts: 19 Member
    I start them off middle class, and then their children must work for what they want. I don't know where I got the advice from, but I was told that kids should aspire to be better than their parents. So, I do that with my sims. :smile:
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Goldenkrow wrote: »
    I usually have more fun with poor since you got to fight harder for things, its interesting. SADLY a lot of sims games its super easy to get rich, so im glad sims4 actually have bills that sting.

That said, being rich in Sims4 seems silly, since you dont even get to have a dishwasher and need to wash your own stuff by hand like some poor person! :P

There is a dishwasher in the game.
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I play rotation, so I have all kinds of family's so that keeps me interested.
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Goldenkrow wrote: »
    I usually have more fun with poor since you got to fight harder for things, its interesting. SADLY a lot of sims games its super easy to get rich, so im glad sims4 actually have bills that sting.

That said, being rich in Sims4 seems silly, since you dont even get to have a dishwasher and need to wash your own stuff by hand like some poor person! :P

There is a dishwasher in the game.

I don't think there was when that person posted. It was patched in.
  • PotterheadSimPotterheadSim Posts: 320 Member
    I always start with poor families, sometimes even with the runaway teen challenge. It's much more fun. At this point in the game, playing with wealthy families isn't very interesting, there is nothing to spend money on..
  • GleestickyGleesticky Posts: 508 Member
    I prefer to make my Sims work their way up into money. Playing Rich I find there's nothing to really goal towards.