Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anything TS2 can do, TS3 can do it better...

2...Next

Comments

• SimulanceSimulance Posts: 313 Member
    Even though TS3 is my favourite, I think that TS2 is the best Sims game. It really is the best life simulator. 3 improved on a lot of stuff like costomisability (word?) but I don't think 2 can be beat.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Simulance Fair reply :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • thegummybear13thegummybear13 Posts: 310 Member
    Ts3 didn't do toddlers,cars,restaurants,or an island expansion pack better.For a game that was released in 2004 and was created before 2004 it has a STRONG following.Take a look at tumblr the biggest cc creators only play and release cc for the sims 2 just to keep it new and fresh, but it's already timeless because it appeals to everybody and isn't dated like Ts1.
    tumblr_o2lz9mNWaj1sbr6who1_400.gif

• lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    edited May 2016
    Aging

You want young adults? No longer did you need to buy TS2 University just for a temporary life stage, in TS3 we had more life stages than any other game before and after! :smiley:

Yes, but there is a lot more to it that is completely missing in Sims 3 with disturbing conseqenses.
    In fact, the Young Adult life stage doesn't really make sense in Sims 3.

The temporary life stage in TS2 University meant that the time spent at college was not taken from other life stages. Unfortunately, that's not all. TS2 University also allowed non-playable teenagers to be turned into playable young adults, and non-playable young adults at college stayed in that life stage until they were moved into a playable family or household. In fact, I might make non-playable students playable by using a cheat code to either graduate them or having them drop out when I feel like it in TS2 University.

TS3 doesn't offer any of those options. Unfortunately, that's not all, either. One disturbing consequence, I have experienced in TS3 University, is non-playable students aging at some point filling college with Elders without offering any solution. When moving one or two playable sims into a dorm, the other students in the dorm can not graduate, and more playable students can not be added. For instance, TS3 University does not allow a teenager from one family to go to college with a sweetheart from another family like TS2 University does.

My worst issue with TS2 University is my rapidly filling the base neighborhood and Bluewater Village with graduated sims as I tend to move many sims to college to get some life and dislike leaving them behind without graduating them. I sometimes even gradate cheer leaders and team mascots when thinking it's time to carry on with their lives.

I like the YA stage in TS3. To me, it's different than adult. I think of YA as 20s to about 30. I like that adults can go through mid-life crisis and look more mature than my young adults in TS3. What I don't like is the facial/aging lines. I think there is a better way they could have made adults look mature. I always have to tweak my adults when they age from young adults. Elders bother me too. I'm in my 30s and my grandfather is not hunched over and his face isn't filled with wrinkles. I also tweak my elders by fixing their posture and finding nice cc for them so they're not always in cardigans. I like the fact that adults and elders can go to college in TS3 because in real life, older adults do go back to school. EA recognized that and gave people that option. One of my Sims got pregnant before finishing school and didn't get her degree until her kids were already grown and she was a grandmother.

When I wanted my teens from different households to go to college together, I just added them to the same household and off they went. Yeah, it's a little different than TS2, but there are workarounds.
    I love both games and I mostly play TS3 these days. But there is a lot I miss from TS2 like OFB, real bakeries/restaurants/salons etc. I also miss bathing babies in the sink and toddlers in the tub.
    lasummerb wrote: »
    Aging

You want young adults? No longer did you need to buy TS2 University just for a temporary life stage, in TS3 we had more life stages than any other game before and after! :smiley:

Yes, but there is a lot more to it that is completely missing in Sims 3 with disturbing conseqenses.

The temporary life stage in TS2 University meant that the time spent at college was not taken from other life stages. Unfortunately, that's not all. TS2 University also allowed non-playable teenagers to be turned into playable young adults, and non-playable young adults at college stayed in that life stage until they were moved into a playable family or household. In fact, I might make non-playable students playable by using a cheat code to either graduate them or having them drop out when I feel like it in TS2 University.

TS3 doesn't offer any of those options. Unfortunately, that's not all, either. One disturbing consequence, I have experienced in TS3 University, is non-playable students aging at some point filling college with Elders without offering any solution. When moving one or two playable sims into a dorm, the other students in the dorm can not graduate, and more playable students can not be added. For instance, TS3 University does not allow a teenager from one family to go to college with a sweetheart from another family like TS2 University does.

My worst issue with TS2 University is my rapidly filling the base neighborhood and Bluewater Village with graduated sims as I tend to move many sims to college to get some life and dislike leaving them behind without graduating them. I sometimes even gradate cheer leaders and team mascots when thinking it's time to carry on with their lives.

I like the YA stage in TS3. To me, it's different than adult. I think of YA as 20s to about 30. I like that adults can go through mid-life crisis and look more mature than my young adults in TS3. What I don't like is the facial/aging lines. I think there is a better way they could have made adults look mature. I always have to tweak my adults when they age from young adults. Elders bother me too. I'm in my 30s and my grandfather is not hunched over and his face isn't filled with wrinkles. I also tweak my elders by fixing their posture and finding nice cc for them so they're not always in cardigans. I like the fact that adults and elders can go to college in TS3 because in real life, older adults do go back to school. EA recognized that and gave people that option. One of my Sims got pregnant before finishing school and didn't get her degree until her kids were already grown and she was a grandmother.

When I wanted my teens from different households to go to college together, I just added them to the same household and off they went. Yeah, it's a little different than TS2, but there are workarounds.

Thanks for the feedback :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    edited May 2016
    Aging

I think you're making that up, mate. Aging is frozen at university in 3, just like it is in World Adventures. And the non playable roommates do graduate with a grade of C.

Going to university in TS3 doesn't take anything away from any life stage at home either.
    In TS3 sims can go to university at ANY TIME after their YA birthday, and go in parts and go repeatedly and do more than one degree, heck all of them if they want. Whereas in TS2 sims HAVE to go to university before they grow up to adult, because if they don't they CRY ABOUT IT AND HAVE A BAD MEMORY ALL THEIR LIVES. TS3 sims don't cry about not going.
    As for not being able to go with your sweetheart that is EASILY solved by moving her in or marrying her before going and then taking her, or going then coming back then marrying her then sending her on her own .. AT ANY TIME, except when she's pregnant.
    At one stage when I was a die hard TS2 player I REMOVED University because I hated that they HAD to go or CRIED ABOUT IT, for the rest of their lives.
    Clearly you haven't actually played TS3 university, or you had a mod, because they do not age there, and if you were to marry someone from university who was a non playable sim there, you would see in their 'career' panel that they did indeed graduate, and probably more than once, but with a grade of C.
    Post edited by DivinylsFan on
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    @king_of_simcity7 Quoted

@Mstybl95 I have around 500 Sims and I do see Sims around, there are a lot of cars and sometimes I get a few random WALKERS and of course some horses with Seasons.

I hate when it happens but luckily a good fence plus the gate from Late Night keeps them at bay.

executive-producer-of-the-walking-dead-warns-that-an-army-of-walkers-is-in-store-for-sea-401842_zpsu9czzamr.jpg

horses came with Pets
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
    Ok, so TS2 was an awesome game back in the day, but that was actually back in the day and after TS3, well things where really kicked up a notch! :smiley: ...
    i don't think so :grimace:

apartments
    restaurants
    OFB
    babies build memories
    toddlers react to happenings with their future life changing experiences
    life time memories

& there is probably also no option of actual hotels,
    though i can't tell it for sure since i don't own IP

TS3 is good in some parts, tremendous even
    but better than TS2 ? NOPE :trollface:

Well there is hotels/resorts. I like them enough, but I had more fun with ts2 hotels.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Aging

I have a custom skin that handles aging much better. I agree with you, aging skin is more than just a few wrinkles. I really like my adults now.

I love the YA and A life stage in 3. I think it's a bit odd parents in 2 look like young guys once their kids reach adulthood. I believe there's a solution for aging students in University (removing the campus folder I believe, @igazor explained it once).

Anyway, I think everyone knows, including King ( :p ) Sims 3 doesn't do everything better what Sims 2 does. A lot of things the game does better, but other things are handled better in 2. And I believe that just has to do with choices the devs have to make.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Aging

I have a custom skin that handles aging much better. I agree with you, aging skin is more than just a few wrinkles. I really like my adults now.

I love the YA and A life stage in 3. I think it's a bit odd parents in 2 look like young guys once their kids reach adulthood. I believe there's a solution for aging students in University (removing the campus folder I believe, @igazor explained it once).

Anyway, I think everyone knows, including King ( :p ) Sims 3 doesn't do everything better what Sims 2 does. A lot of things the game does better, but other things are handled better in 2. And I believe that just has to do with choices the devs have to make.

@JoAnne65 what skin are you using?
    edited May 2016
    Aging

@JoAnne65 what skin are you using?
    Kurasoberina's Primer skin.

Adult vanilla:

1385056439.jpg

Adult with the skin:

2198599_orig.png

5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 Okay, thanks. I do have Primer, but I didn't really care for it because the tonal range. I do have tonal ramps from a different creator, so I may try it out again.
  • dw4518dw4518 Posts: 263 Member
    sims are smarter in 2
    Aging

I think you're making that up, mate. Aging is frozen at university in 3, just like it is in World Adventures. And the non playable roommates do graduate with a grade of C.

Going to university in TS3 doesn't take anything away from any life stage at home either.
    In TS3 sims can go to university at ANY TIME after their YA birthday, and go in parts and go repeatedly and do more than one degree, heck all of them if they want. Whereas in TS2 sims HAVE to go to university before they grow up to adult, because if they don't they CRY ABOUT IT AND HAVE A BAD MEMORY ALL THEIR LIVES. TS3 sims don't cry about not going.
    As for not being able to go with your sweetheart that is EASILY solved by moving her in or marrying her before going and then taking her, or going then coming back then marrying her then sending her on her own .. AT ANY TIME, except when she's pregnant.
    At one stage when I was a die hard TS2 player I REMOVED University because I hated that they HAD to go or CRIED ABOUT IT, for the rest of their lives.
    Clearly you haven't actually played TS3 university, or you had a mod, because they do not age there, and if you were to marry someone from university who was a non playable sim there, you would see in their 'career' panel that they did indeed graduate, and probably more than once, but with a grade of C.

Thanks for pointing out the good improvements that UL made :smiley:

I did like University in TS2 but I found I have more fun with it in TS3 :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    dw4518 wrote: »
    sims are smarter in 2
    I play them at the moment and they can be pretty dumb :D That's not necessarily a bad thing for me though.
    5JZ57S6.png
    dw4518 wrote: »
    sims are smarter in 2
    I play them at the moment and they can be pretty dumb :D That's not necessarily a bad thing for me though.

Yes I agree, TS2 Sins where not always the smartest ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    As to the aging or not in TS3 Uni World issue raised, there's no need to be so contentious about it. Sims do not age while the player is running through a term with active play actually in Uni World. They do age while the player is off playing back in the homeworld unless one has mods in place to control that somehow. There are plenty of ways to replace the inactive geriatric student population that can result after a while and there is no need for future generations to go to Uni with the same sims alongside them that grandma and grandpa had.

Inactive sims originating in Uni World are perfectly playable if you subsequently bring them into other worlds.

With NRaas mods such as Traveler, you can send teens to Uni as well as sims who live in other households in your homeworld at the same time as your own actives. I know this thread isn't about what mods can and can't do for players' games, but unfortunately I never had the pleasure of playing TS2 myself and am not experiencing all these limitations being mentioned prior on this thread. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor Thanks for popping in! :smiley:

I myself play with aging off so my students will never age either way. The only deaths I have had at University was when one Sim ranted by death and that one time a meteorite hit. That made the campus neighbourhood view interesting with a few ghosts hanging around...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Off-topic, sorry, but after being paged 16 times (slight exaggeration) in a TS4 toddler thread, I (wisely?) chose to close that window and "pop in" here instead. :D
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor Oh yes, I feel bad about that :sweat_smile:

Best stay out of the dark so of the forest and stay in here where we can go for hours without any mention of the 'T word' ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    igazor wrote: »
    Off-topic, sorry, but after being paged 16 times (slight exaggeration) in a TS4 toddler thread, I (wisely?) chose to close that window and "pop in" here instead. :D
    Sorry about that :s
    (the topic was closed btw so you're safe now o:) )
    5JZ57S6.png
    igazor wrote: »
    Sorry about that :s
    (the topic was closed btw so you're safe now o:) )

I think the thread is in 'time out' but that is cool :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Aging

I did like University in TS2 but I found I have more fun with it in TS3 :smiley:

I love ts3 ul and the interactive classroom, but I think I had more fun in ts2 ul. I loved rushing the frat/sororities, having parties, graduation parties.
    edited May 2016
    Aging

I love ts3 ul and the interactive classroom, but I think I had more fun in ts2 ul. I loved rushing the frat/sororities, having parties, graduation parties.

I did quite well with the Greek Houses and threw a few toga parties. I had one house that started small but kept expanding.

In TS3 I always use Malan Hall which I am happy with. That hall ends up with at least two juice kegs, a hot top, at least one all in one bathroom and at one stage I even got a DJ booth in :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg