Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Reading Circles - For All Games!

Comments

• MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    Meggles wrote: »
    @pronterus You could always start one! :smirk: I'm more inclined to join up with a smaller group, too. I have enough trouble sticking to the stories I already have! @_@

lol i love that you say i want a circle then say protronus start one.

LOL, yeah, I realized that after I said it (sort of, my smirk was intentional). BUT maybe there are some who would rather be led by someone else. :tongue: *not paranoid at all*
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    edited May 2016
    I'd love to join! Count me in. I'll start off circle B of that's cool :)
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    I suppose I could give it a try. (provided my story actually counts. What with no screenshots and all)

I'd definitely do my best to read the stories in the circle I get put into, should I actually manage to join a circle.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    swcheppes wrote: »
    I'd love to join! Count me in. I'll start off circle B of that's cool :)

Awesome, @swcheppes ! I'll put you at the top of list B! Feel free to recruit the members of your circle. Group A formed on a first-come basis, and it's not necessary that they form that way. You can choose who's in your group or pick any way you want!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    This seems like a great idea :) I have to think about whether I will be able to commit to sth like this but it definitely seems like a good thing to do :)

@Julyvee94 Would you want to link to this on your Guide to SimLit? It seems like it could fit with that question about "How do I get readers?" And I think it might be something really useful for newcomers who haven't yet been discovered.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    POLLYANNA2 wrote: »
    I am keen! Will the feedback guidelines be decided on by each individual group?

Yes! In fact, Group A will be starting a new thread today, and we'll be choosing our name and developing our guidelines. Each circle is free to form their group in the way that works for them. You're all welcome to eavesdrop on our process to see one way of developing these guidelines, and so on.

It's also fine for some circles to have definite leaders--so in those cases, the person forming the circle might want to lay-out the guidelines at the outset, then people can join who like those guidelines.

• ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    Aww this is such a good idea! I probably won't participate at the moment; I'm not sure if I could commit to reading everyone's stories immediately since my schedule is fairly ad hoc.

Plus being almost at generation 9 of my legacy would mean the poor people in my group would either be forced to read about all the previous generations or try to make sense of it without catching up... But maybe if I start a new story in the future! :) I do love the concept! :)
    edited May 2016
    So the beauty of Reading Circles is that they're completely customizable and flexible! This way, you can create or join one that meets your needs and goals!
    pronterus wrote: »
    I'm also thinking if we should have smaller circles too, like around four people. Then I can commit to one :)
    Meggles wrote: »
    @pronterus You could always start one! :smirk: I'm more inclined to join up with a smaller group, too. I have enough trouble sticking to the stories I already have! @_@

Yes, for sure you can have a three or four person group!

At first, I was going to start a three-person group, then I thought of the smaller groups that I create in the online writing classes I teach. Around mid-terms, often half of the students disappear for a while, and so then sometimes the smaller groups end up with groups of one. :( So I was thinking that if people needed to take breaks, larger groups might work better.

But we have a much more committed community than my online students! :) So, it's likely that if you formed a small group, your group members would let you know if they needed to take a break or drop out for a while, and then you could find someone to take their place.

I think you should be able to make smaller groups work really well! :) (I'll adjust our sign-up sheet on the front page to show we'll have some smaller circles.)
    At first I was like yay sign me up... then I realized I post 2-3 times more chapters than you were talking about in a week. So meh. If there's anyone else that posts like 2 chapters a day as well that wants to start like a smaller circle let me know. Otherwise I'll just lurk here, lol.

I go through phases, too, where I post 7-10 posts a week. Right now, and likely for the next six months, I'm in a slower phase--but who knows? I could enter a time-warp and gain five hours a day!

So, I have a few ideas about this...

One idea is to join several groups! That way, when you're working on multiple stories, each circle could read a different story of yours. (This is something I might try if I move back into hyper-writing mode again...)

Another idea is what you propose: form a speed-reading/hyper-writing circle--a "Highly Productive" circle--of writers who put out 5-10 chapters a week. A smaller group (like three- five) might be best for this.

Another idea (which is what I'll be proposing to do in my group) is to just assign one of my stories to the circle. The other things I work on, the group members won't be responsible for reading. And we'll decide as a group how many readings per writer per week are reasonable.

It's really flexible!

I'd encourage all of you, if this is something you want, to think about what requirements and wishes you have to make this work for you: then post them here, and you can see what good matches you find!

Also, feel free to PM folks you want to work with. You can form your own circles, and then let me know, and I'll add them here! :)

Have fun!

• StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    One idea is to join several groups! That way, when you're working on multiple stories, each circle could read a different story of yours. (This is something I might try if I move back into hyper-writing mode again...)

Another idea is what you propose: form a speed-reading/hyper-writing circle--a "Highly Productive" circle--of writers who put out 5-10 chapters a week. A smaller group (like three- five) might be best for this.

Another idea (which is what I'll be proposing to do in my group) is to just assign one of my stories to the circle. The other things I work on, the group members won't be responsible for reading. And we'll decide as a group how many readings per writer per week are reasonable.

I'm totally open to the idea of a small group of like 3 or so people who write a lot like me... or at least don't mind reading a chapter or two a day. Currently I'm publishing a chapter a day of my legacy spinoff from my Ambrosia Challenge and I restarted my old ISBI challenge but I'm not posting those chapters anywhere, it's just for fun for me.
  • POLLYANNA2POLLYANNA2 Posts: 172 Member
    @Rainydayz179 I am happy to be in a small group with you. I am a fairly quick reader (need to be for my job where I read a couple of novels a week) and can commit to reading 5-8 chapters a week and I write anywhere between 3-7 chapters a week. We could have the name "Speed Readers" or something?
    YouTube%20Forum%20Banner_zpsu3ts3wnz.png
    ou can read my Sim-Lit here:
    https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/

@Rainydayz179 I am happy to be in a small group with you. I am a fairly quick reader (need to be for my job where I read a couple of novels a week) and can commit to reading 5-8 chapters a week and I write anywhere between 3-7 chapters a week. We could have the name "Speed Readers" or something?

Oh awesome that sounds great! I totally didn't expect anyone to be interested. :D@CathyTea How are we doing the circles? Is one of us making a new thread for it or something?
    @Rainydayz179 and @POLLYANNA2 I will add your Speed Readers circle to our first page here. Then, one of you can create your thread for your group!

Do you have any more openings, or will it be the two of you?

• pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    Alright then :) I'l join small circle C :D
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    Since it looks like small circle C is full up...

Could I take a spot in small circle D?
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • POLLYANNA2POLLYANNA2 Posts: 172 Member
    @CathyTea @Rainydayz179 I am happy to have it open to another one or two? Just to get a variety of views/input. What do you think?
    YouTube%20Forum%20Banner_zpsu3ts3wnz.png
    ou can read my Sim-Lit here:
    https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/

@CathyTea @Rainydayz179 I am happy to have it open to another one or two? Just to get a variety of views/input. What do you think?

I'm up for it. When I read regular books I average a book a day so I'm a speed reader like you. The hardest part will be catching up on everyone's stories to this point, not really the reading of the posts for the week.

The hardest part will be catching up on everyone's stories to this point, not really the reading of the posts for the week.

I've been thinking about this, since one of the stories I've been working on is up to chapter 33 already--they're not long chapters, but that's still some catching up to do! I think that I'll provide a synopsis so that the members of my circle can just start with the newest chapter. I'm at a natural starting point in the circle, so it should work!

CathyTea wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this, since one of the stories I've been working on is up to chapter 33 already--they're not long chapters, but that's still some catching up to do! I think that I'll provide a synopsis so that the members of my circle can just start with the newest chapter. I'm at a natural starting point in the circle, so it should work!

Hmm that's an option. We could summarize the story up to a good starting point. I guess I should try to think of a good summary for my Ambrosia Challenge since a good starting point would be the first chapter of the spinoff legacy. Ironically I'm not actually playing this one right now but I have like 10 unpublished chapters so it's all good.
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    I love this idea. Sign me in the circle B, please.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    I think I've made up my mind and I want to do this :) I'll go in circle B as well ^^
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    circle B might end up being 10 to 20 people .its so popular.
    Maladi777 wrote: »
    I love this idea. Sign me in the circle B, please.

Gotcha! :)
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    I think I've made up my mind and I want to do this :) I'll go in circle B as well ^^

Got you added, too! :)

• MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    What about a group which consists of long stories, like legacies beyond a certain generation, or stories which have over 50 chapters already written?

I would suggest that it would be for readers that haven't actually read the story or stories of their circle buddies, but want to look at something new?
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    edited May 2016
    @CathyTea is speed readers filled?? or B but that is a little cheaty cause I already read 2 of them .. so put me where you want me :)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    @CathyTea is speed readers filled?? or B but that is a little cheaty cause I already read 2 of them .. so put me where you want me :)

You get "Speed Readers!" And now it's filled! :)

@lisabee2 @POLLYANNA2 and @Rainydayz179 Your group is ready to go! Once you create a thread for it, then let me know, and I can add the link to your thread here on our index (if you want).

And anytime I need to make any updates to your listing on our first page, just let me know and I'll be happy to do that! Happy reading, Speed Reader Circle! Hope you have lovely times reading together! :)