Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

RAM upgrade

Hi Simmers,

I am currently playing TS4 on my Macbook pro mid-2012 with an Intel HD 4000 video card and 4 GB RAM. The game is doing great on ultra settings (I just cannot play the game in less than higher settings), but since I like to add cc I noticed the loading time has increased. I really want to play with cc and expansions/game packs without having to wait several minutes at every loading screen and therefore I've started looking at upgrading my laptop.

I've been told that it is impossible to upgrade the video card, but there is a possibility to upgrade the RAM to 8 or 16 GB. Since everything in the computer world is complete abracadabra to me I wondered whether upgrading the RAM would decrease the loading time for my game.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 718 Member
    edited May 2016
    I have a Late 2009 iMac (NVIDIA 9400M) and I play on Low settings. It works fine 90% of the times, sometimes I gets laggy when I visit the island part of Windenburg, but other than that it's fine. So, that iMac comes with a standard 4 GB Ram but I upgraded it up to 12 GB RAM, It made the game run smooth.

I think The Sims 4 takes an amount of RAM and no matter if you have 8 GB or 32 GB, it runs the same. the video card ram is actually what makes the game run faster (I think).
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    If it's loading times you're worried about, you may want to look into switching out your hard drive for a solid-state drive. (if that's even possible on a MBP? I don't know) More RAM is always a good idea, but of course the game is loading slower as you add more CC - it has more content to load. The applies as game packs and expansions are added on, too. (Eventually things end up like at the end of TS3, where people were often reporting 45 minutes to an hour for a full game with lots of CC to load.)

Solid-state drives load WAY faster than a regular hard drive, although it's not something you would notice (or think about) until you've experienced it. I find the game loads up completely, and I can be on a lot and in Live mode within 15-20 seconds. (Although I use minimal CC.)

RAM will still help the game itself perform better while you're playing - up to a point - (and it'll let you do more at once, if you're like me and tend to leave every program on the computer open) but it's not necessarily the driving force behind loading times. Some people also report that TS4 is rather processor-heavy, but unfortunately that is not something that can be changed on a laptop. (Much like the graphics card, they are usually soldered onto the motherboard as one piece.)
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,115 Member
    @xxLeilaa

Which exact MacBook Pro do you have? Apple started introducing the retina MBPs in 2012. If it's a retina then no, you cannot upgrade the RAM or hard drive. If it isn't retina then you could upgrade the RAM yourself, very easily. 8Gb would suffice, 16Gb would be fabulous - you can never have too much RAM, especially if you leave other apps open whilst you play. You could also upgrade the drive in a non-retine, as @Nearia35 has already mentioned, to a SSD. Loading times will decrease but actual gameplay won't benefit too much.

Your CC will be the biggest culprit of your slow loading times and there's not really much you can do about that apart from not use any.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    xxLeilaaxxLeilaa Posts: 57 Member
    Thanks everyone for the comments! Will definitely look into the SSD as well.
  • Options
    bwarynbwaryn Posts: 13 New Member
    Unless you upgrade to "faster" ram, it is unlikely to have much of an impact on performance. Upgrading to an SSD should greatly improve loading times though.
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    bwaryn wrote: »
    Unless you upgrade to "faster" ram, it is unlikely to have much of an impact on performance. Upgrading to an SSD should greatly improve loading times though.

RAM doesn't have a "speed". RAM stands for Random Access Memory and allows your programs to certainly run faster as it increases the amount of memory on the computer to allow it to do more.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.