Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- The Sims 4 help, troubleshooting & BUG Thread -

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @BluebellFlora Thanks for the fast response! I had to fix my settings (except for aging, strangely) but now my UI is fine! :smile:

Great :) Trashing the Options.ini file forces your game back to the default settings that it thinks your Mac can handle so should always be the first thing to try if you have graphics issues. It is recreated when you restart the game.

apple-signature.png
  • ichabodkatieichabodkatie Posts: 15 New Member
    Hi @BluebellFlora

I have been having trouble playing my Sims 4 family recently on my Macbook Air. When I select my household on the map and click play, I get a green plumbob that spins continuously without ever loading. Here are a few things that I have tried to fix this so far:

1. restarting my Mac (did not work)
    2. resetting my Sims 4 folder (did not work)
    3. repairing the game (did not work)
    4. moving my Mods and Custom Music folders to the desktop (did not work)
    3. moving my Sims to another home (sort of worked...)

When I moved my Sims out of their home, I sold the furniture so that the house that I built would remain furnished. I then tried moving the Sims back into their original house- did not work (got the spinning plumbob).

I then tried moving my Sims out of their home and keeping the furniture. When I moved them back into their original house, it worked! But this is disappointing because I lost my gardens and a small graveyard that was in my backyard- the house is totally unfurnished and only certain items are in the family's inventory.

I also tried moving my Sims out of their home and selling the furniture. I decided to see if another family could live in the furnished house by moving the Goths into the home- it worked! I could play them there. However, when I evicted the Goths and tried to move my family back into their original house, I got the spinning plumbob again. It seems that my family and furnished house have become incompatible, and I'm not sure what to do.

Some other unsuccessful attempts:
    1. moved my family to another lot, saved my furnished house to my library in build mode, bulldozed the lot, placed my saved furnished house back onto the lot from library, tried moving the family back into the house.
    2. same as #1, but tried placing my saved furnished house onto a different lot

Here is some information about my Mac:

Mac model: 13 inch, Early 2015 Macbook Air
    Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
    Operating System: OSX El Capitan 10.11.4
    Official EA EPs/SPs/GPs installed: Cool Kitchen Stuff, Spooky Stuff
    Do you have antivirus or clean up apps installed? If so what are they? Yes, Symantec Endpoint Protection
    Are you running any background tasks? If so, what are they? Yes, Google Chrome, Dropbox
    Do you have any CC/mods installed? I don't think so (I have a custom music folder, my Mods folder is empty)

Thank you for any help you can provide! I apologize that this post is so long.
    @ichabodkatie

Have you tried repairing it in Origin? And disabling Symantec?
    apple-signature.png
    Hi @BluebellFlora

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, I tried repairing in Origin and disabling Symantec. Unfortunately, I still can't get my Sims to successfully move back into their house.

I have also tried emptying the household inventory as well as individual inventories- did not help, either.

The strange thing is that my Sims can visit the house if another family is living there.
    @BluebellFlora

Update: I think there may be an issue with my saves. I moved a different family into my house, saved my furnished house to my library, and then bulldozed the lot. I moved my original family back onto the empty lot and inserted my saved house- it worked (finally!)- so I saved the game and quit. When I opened the game up again, I got the same problem as before- a spinning plumbob when I selected my household.

> @ichabodkatie said:
    > Hi @BluebellFlora
    >
    > Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, I tried repairing in Origin and disabling Symantec. Unfortunately, I still can't get my Sims to successfully move back into their house.
    >
    > I have also tried emptying the household inventory as well as individual inventories- did not help, either.
    >
    > The strange thing is that my Sims can visit the house if another family is living there.
  • dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    edited June 2016
    Nice to see NVIDIA are up to date. Here's the update for 10.11.4 - http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/100850/en-uk

Here is 10.11.5

Hmmm. Link is not showing. Copy and paste: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/102822/en-us
    dizzydee_k wrote: »
    Nice to see NVIDIA are up to date. Here's the update for 10.11.4 - http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/100850/en-uk

Here is 10.11.5

Hmmm. Link is not showing. Copy and paste: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/102822/en-us

They released that the day after 10.11.5 was released, very impressive :)

apple-signature.png
  • sasha3111sasha3111 Posts: 12 New Member
    I just recently started playing my sims 4 again. I got so frustrated because of the crashing and inability to use any mods at all or even run with no mods that I quit playing. I purchased get together and downloaded it using a fresh sims 4 world. I played for a few hours and saved and closed the sims. I open the sims again today and try to open the save and it crashes either on the load screen or right when the game loads up. I tried seperating the sim from her new home that I put her in before I saved and quit but still no luck with loading it up.

I have a macbook pro 2012 15in
    2.3 intel processor
    4gb memory
    intel hd graphics 4000 1536 mb

This is the only crash report that was actually saved into the sims 4 folder:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><report><version>2</version><sessionid>a61c0fa6322b611a575cc43a</sessionid><type>crash</type><sku>ea.maxis.sims4.15.mac</sku><createtime>2016-06-12 02:13:12</createtime><buildsignature>Local.Unknown.Unknown.1.19.28.1210-1.300.000.72.Release</buildsignature><systemconfig></systemconfig><categoryid> 0x328bd5</categoryid><stack> 0x328bd5 0x6a6e 0x222697 0x6ba85 0xec3eae 0x1331e66 0x12af6b4 0xe87f25 0xe87804 0xdca913 0xc9120e 0x2cf5 0x1ba2 0x1b81 0xa9dec 0x92b94 0x92823 0x9237a 0x89871 0x88ed8 0x30935 0x3076f 0x305af 0x48df6</stack><threads></threads><screenshot></screenshot><memdump></memdump><contextdata>Client Session Time: 253.64<br />Num Save Errors: 0<br />Num Load Errors: 0<br />Current Game State: 0xbe7da869<br />Origin Version: 9,12,1,43352<br />Modded: False<br />(baseaddr) 0x7fff8c037000,'GeForceGLDriver' 0x7fff8aae6000,'libGPUSupportMercury.dylib' 0x7fff8c037000,'GeForceGLDriver' 0x7fff891c9000,'GLEngine' 0x104961000,'The Sims 4' 0x104961000,'The Sims 4' 0x104961000,'The Sims 4' 0x104961000,'The Sims 4' 0x104961000,'The Sims 4' 0x104961000,'The Sims 4' 0x104961000,'The Sims 4' 0x104961000,'The Sims 4' 0x104961000,'The Sims 4' 0x104961000,'The Sims 4' 0x7fff94cd5000,'Foundation' 0x7fff97f06000,'CoreFoundation' 0x7fff97f06000,'CoreFoundation' 0x7fff97f06000,'CoreFoundation' 0x7fff97f06000,'CoreFoundation' 0x7fff97f06000,'CoreFoundation' 0x7fff8a674000,'HIToolbox' 0x7fff8a674000,'HIToolbox' 0x7fff8a674000,'HIToolbox' 0x7fff98b5c000,'AppKit'(/baseaddr)</contextdata></report>
  • rachpidrachpid Posts: 11 New Member
    Hi, I have an issue which has been around since the Day of the Dead patch, I initially thought it was just to do with that event but am seeing it for other new stuff now. Some text boxes are showing up completely blank, at the moment it seems to be for Day of the Dead (I can see the bar in the top left but there's no text there) and the new lot traits, again the boxes for the traits are there but there's no text inside. I've disabled mods and cc and it still happens, so it's not to do with that. Have also repaired the game but that doesn't work either. Any ideas? I found some fixes for a similar problem but these were for PCs.
    rachpid wrote: »
    Hi, I have an issue which has been around since the Day of the Dead patch, I initially thought it was just to do with that event but am seeing it for other new stuff now. Some text boxes are showing up completely blank, at the moment it seems to be for Day of the Dead (I can see the bar in the top left but there's no text there) and the new lot traits, again the boxes for the traits are there but there's no text inside. I've disabled mods and cc and it still happens, so it's not to do with that. Have also repaired the game but that doesn't work either. Any ideas? I found some fixes for a similar problem but these were for PCs.

Try this:
    1. In your Applications folder right click on the Sims 4 app and select Show Package Contents.
    2. Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
    3. There should be two files in there. Right click on The Sims 4 and select Move to Trash. Don't drag the file as it will only move an alias and leave the original in place. Leave the other file, The Sims 4.par alone.
    4. Now open Origin, click on The Sims 4 in your Games Library and click on Download.
    apple-signature.png
  • rachpidrachpid Posts: 11 New Member
    rachpid wrote: »

Try this:
    1. In your Applications folder right click on the Sims 4 app and select Show Package Contents.
    2. Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
    3. There should be two files in there. Right click on The Sims 4 and select Move to Trash. Don't drag the file as it will only move an alias and leave the original in place. Leave the other file, The Sims 4.par alone.
    4. Now open Origin, click on The Sims 4 in your Games Library and click on Download.

Thanks, will try that and let you know.

• CrystalShimmerCrystalShimmer Posts: 59 Member
    Hi! I started playing the sims 4 after the release of City Living so I decide to start a game with a new household so I was going to manage the other worlds to add spas, cinemas and other stuff, but it seems I'm not able to do it because i've been trying to connect to the gallery because i'm a mediocre builder :( and when I try to connect, it just stays there, ''trying to connect'' and nothing happens, even for hours...sometimes i left the computer and do something else to see if for some reason it works but nothing happens. I've been looking through the internet without a solution.
    I don't have CC, I tried to repair the game trough Origin, even uninstall the game and the same thing happens over and over again.
    Even right now I have my game open: ''Trying to connect'' while posting this, so my internet connection is fine :(

Please I'm desperate, because Maxis gallery doesn't have many options to chose
    Just Living Life One Day At A Time
    Hi! I started playing the sims 4 after the release of City Living so I decide to start a game with a new household so I was going to manage the other worlds to add spas, cinemas and other stuff, but it seems I'm not able to do it because i've been trying to connect to the gallery because i'm a mediocre builder :( and when I try to connect, it just stays there, ''trying to connect'' and nothing happens, even for hours...sometimes i left the computer and do something else to see if for some reason it works but nothing happens. I've been looking through the internet without a solution.
    I don't have CC, I tried to repair the game trough Origin, even uninstall the game and the same thing happens over and over again.
    Even right now I have my game open: ''Trying to connect'' while posting this, so my internet connection is fine :(

Please I'm desperate, because Maxis gallery doesn't have many options to chose

Can you please reset Origin - https://help.ea.com/en-in/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

If that doesn't work please try all of the suggestions in this thread to do with connection issues in Origin - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/MAC-Origin-Troubleshooting-and-Information/td-p/5371659#M3387
    apple-signature.png
    edited November 2016
    I've tried everything on the list and nothing happens, is the server down or something?

I can play the sims 3 online, but the sims 4 it's my problem, origin even says my last gaming session was on june but i've been playing for the last 3 days.
  • sutivirus12sutivirus12 Posts: 110 Member
    I've tried everything on the list and nothing happens, is the server down or something?

I can play the sims 3 online, but the sims 4 it's my problem, origin even says my last gaming session was on june but i've been playing for the last 3 days.

Your Origin issue could be similar to mine (which is the date thing).

For me it displays that I played it last on the 31st of July, and only for 59 hours in total, when in fact, I played it earlier today, and played it for about 560+ hours. :P

Don't really know what's going on, but I don't care (but I do a little bit), as it's just a date, and I know myself that I've played that many hours. :P
    thesims4galleryhousessignature_zps7u25o7vp.png
    @sutivirus12 are you also not able to play your game? The hours played and date thing is a non issue and is not a game breaker thankfully.

@CrystalShimmer please ignore the hours played and date thing, that's not the reason why you can't play. Did you try the new user account on your Mac and it still didn't work?
    apple-signature.png
  • sutivirus12sutivirus12 Posts: 110 Member
    @sutivirus12 are you also not able to play your game? The hours played and date thing is a non issue and is not a game breaker thankfully.

@CrystalShimmer please ignore the hours played and date thing, that's not the reason why you can't play. Did you try the new user account on your Mac and it still didn't work?

Oh my bad, the game works fine, I just wanted to say that the counter is wrong. :blush:
    thesims4galleryhousessignature_zps7u25o7vp.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited November 2016
    It also depends on how and where you launch the game from. If you use a short cut from your Dock or Desktop, you do not have directly connect to Origin to Launch the game. The shortcut will automatically launch Origin for you. The date/time stamp simply refers to the last time you launched the game directly from Origin and how long you play via that method. (It totals up the hours)

*edited*
    Post edited by Tremayne4260 on
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Lee-Suh92Lee-Suh92 Posts: 2 New Member
    What about if "Laptop Mode" option isn't even available? I have a MacBook Pro 13" retina display laptop. And this option doesn't even show up on my options menu for the game. Where it appears on everyone else's, I have nothing. Help me Please :(
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    edited November 2016
    It also depends on how and where you launch the game from. If you use a short cut from your Dock or Desktop, it does not connect to Origin to Launch the game. (This is the same for both Sims 3 and 4).

No, that's not true. The Sims 4 requires Origin always, as it's the program which controls the Digital Rights of the game. You can't launch The Sims 4 without Origin, never. Origin always opens in order to launch The Sims 4.

The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
    Yep, you can indeed launch TS4 from your Dock or within your Applications folder but Origin will always open first (as @Fonxi121994 has pointed out) then probably minimise itself before the game launches. All the library files are within Origin which is why there are no Sims 4 Preference/Cache/Saved Application State files and folders. A legitimate copy of Sims 4 will NOT run without Origin.

@Lee-Suh92 you can scroll down in game options and laptop mode will be visible. It is beneath Post-processing effects.

apple-signature.png
    edited November 2016
    It also depends on how and where you launch the game from. If you use a short cut from your Dock or Desktop, it does not connect to Origin to Launch the game. (This is the same for both Sims 3 and 4).

No, that's not true. The Sims 4 requires Origin always, as it's the program which controls the Digital Rights of the game. You can't launch The Sims 4 without Origin, never. Origin always opens in order to launch The Sims 4.

Sims 3 for the Mac does not connect to Origin unless you want it to. The Mac version is still 1.67 as we have never received an update. So unless you launch directly from the Origin application, it will never update those dates and hours played unless you always launch Origin first and then launch the game.

Same for Sims 4. If you launch the game from your Dock or short cut, Origin does start but will minimize quickly. Again unless you actually launch Origin first and then launch your game, those dates and hours will never update.
    Post edited by Tremayne4260 on
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member

Sims 3 for the Mac does not connect to Origin unless you want it to. The Mac version is still 1.67 as we have never received an update. So unless you launch directly from the Origin application, it will never update those dates and hours played unless you always launch Origin first and then launch the game.

Same for Sims 4. You can launch the game from your dock and Origin will start, but it will minimize quickly. Again unless you actually launch Origin first and then launch your game, those dates and hours will never update.

You said "If you use a short cut from your Dock or Desktop, it does not connect to Origin to Launch the game. (This is the same for both Sims 3 and 4)." and that's not correct. You did not say that Origin will minimize, you said that Origin won't connect to launch the game, and that's plain wrong.
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
    edited November 2016

Same for Sims 4. You can launch the game from your dock and Origin will start, but it will minimize quickly. Again unless you actually launch Origin first and then launch your game, those dates and hours will never update.

You said "If you use a short cut from your Dock or Desktop, it does not connect to Origin to Launch the game. (This is the same for both Sims 3 and 4)." and that's not correct. You did not say that Origin will minimize, you said that Origin won't connect to launch the game, and that's plain wrong.

For Sims 3, it is correct a correct statement for the Mac Version. It does not connect to Origin. However, I guess because I launch my Sims 4 from the Dock, I don't consider it connecting to Origin even though it does in the background, but I don't have to log into Origin directly every time I start up the game.

I did correct myself in another post. I have edited my original post. Hope you have a nice day/evening where ever you are. :)

I didn't try the new user account thing...i should try on other computer to see, but until this day I can't connect to the gallery.
    I started the game to try and see if it was the server which i doubt