Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Technicalities; missing and future content - The difference between!

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Arletta wrote: »
    There isn't one. Someone whose name I won't mention has been spreading misinformation like the plague.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14732539/#Comment_14732539

Still not a law. Just accounting.

It's accounting that, when you follow the chain, a law says they have to use.

Ok then, then can someone please help and provide a link to the chain & law? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just truly curious here.

I posted a short version here earlier:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14816791/#Comment_14816791
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    There isn't one. Someone whose name I won't mention has been spreading misinformation like the plague.

Law or not if they knew that pre release and that they had a bunch of stuff to implement post release the onus was on EA/Maxis to communicate why they were shutting down on communication. Given that it's suddenly okay to tell us about this law now why exactly wasn't it pre release?

I have no idea why they made that public. Seems like more misleading speak to drive the community to stop asking questions. If I was in charge, this is not something I would ever tell customers or use as an excuse.

Point is, they can tell us what the next EP is and they haven't. I read between the lines here...

Well it backfired then. If they could tell us now why was it kept from us pre release?

Waiting to give an answer a year and eight months later to why you are silent (especially when one of the biggest complaints since launch has been lack of communication!) Just ends up looking like it was kept from us previously. It doesn't stop people asking-it just means you have more questions to answer.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

Law or not if they knew that pre release and that they had a bunch of stuff to implement post release the onus was on EA/Maxis to communicate why they were shutting down on communication. Given that it's suddenly okay to tell us about this law now why exactly wasn't it pre release?

I have no idea why they made that public. Seems like more misleading speak to drive the community to stop asking questions. If I was in charge, this is not something I would ever tell customers or use as an excuse.

Point is, they can tell us what the next EP is and they haven't. I read between the lines here...

Well it backfired then. If they could tell us now why was it kept from us pre release?

Waiting to give an answer a year and eight months later to why you are silent (especially when one of the biggest complaints since launch has been lack of communication!) Just ends up looking like it was kept from us previously. It doesn't stop people asking-it just means you have more questions to answer.

Well it definitely got someone to come in here spouting law, law, law and uninformed simmers saying...OK, law. Without people asking questions or wanting to inform themselves, they certainly would be capable of silencing a crowd.
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    The base game, It's a must-be-fixed. I love the Idea of restaurants, but all we have gotten was 2 stuff packs since GT. None which actually Introduces permanent gameplay, and when I mean 'permanent gameplay' I'm talking gameplay that Involves your sims lives everyday In game. So me wasting 20$ on this pack would be pointless because now I'm already unInterested In the game Itself, but I got money for tacos.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited May 2016

Zagadoo. Sorry. It's a policy chosen by EA in order to present their accounts in a certain way.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member

Ok then, then can someone please help and provide a link to the chain & law? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just truly curious here.

Thank you, I had not read that thread yet. The one thing that's making my scratch my head though, the dates for the laws & regulations you mention are long before the launch of Sims 4. Why then was the release of info different then, in comparison to how it's been done with Sims 4?

Perhaps the biggest thing that has me befuddled is this: Why publish that "What's In and What's Out" blog, tell us to carefully pay attention to "at launch" statements, state "we're building a foundation capable of fulfilling all of your desires," but now stick to the statement of "can't discuss future content" almost two years later (I'm counting from the date of the blogs, not launch). I'm probably not all that great at explaining myself but it's like this: I feel like they set things in motion by making those statements. And now, one year and eight months after launch, I would like an update to those statements, and I feel like I'm getting the brush off with the "sorry, can't discuss future content." It may be technically their right and/or their obligation to answer as such now, but because it doesn't mesh with those blogs that published then shortly after many of us cancelled our pre-orders, I'm frustrated and would like some answers from EA/Maxis.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2016
    IngeJones wrote: »

Zagadoo. Sorry. It's a policy chosen by EA in order to present their accounts in a certain way.

Yeah I agree with you. Since I was a bookkeeper at one time. But what bothers me more is the statements as fact they can tell whatever they want whenever. Then why the dead silence and lack of communication with fans. It's not been my experience (or I haven't been paying that much attention) paid content has come with 'free content' installed at the same time or sold at the time has it? In the last year and a half or more, have we seen an EP or GP or SP sold beside the ad for free content? I don't recall that happening, so not seeing much reason not to tell what is being worked on that is paid content.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Thank you, I had not read that thread yet. The one thing that's making my scratch my head though, the dates for the laws & regulations you mention are long before the launch of Sims 4. Why then was the release of info different then, in comparison to how it's been done with Sims 4?

Perhaps the biggest thing that has me befuddled is this: Why publish that "What's In and What's Out" blog, tell us to carefully pay attention to "at launch" statements, state "we're building a foundation capable of fulfilling all of your desires," but now stick to the statement of "can't discuss future content" almost two years later (I'm counting from the date of the blogs, not launch). I'm probably not all that great at explaining myself but it's like this: I feel like they set things in motion by making those statements. And now, one year and eight months after launch, I would like an update to those statements, and I feel like I'm getting the brush off with the "sorry, can't discuss future content." It may be technically their right and/or their obligation to answer as such now, but because it doesn't mesh with those blogs that published then shortly after many of us cancelled our pre-orders, I'm frustrated and would like some answers from EA/Maxis.

The regulations themselves are constantly changing. I didn't give any dates for those - it's just too complex to start wading into tracking which regulation sets might be relevant here. Plus I wouldn't even know where to start for the threshold of when something triggers a particular regulatory detail - that can often come down to precedence, and I don't know where to look for that on SEC issues.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

You know, there is a big difference in what we are asking then the 'law' disallows. We want to know about toddlers...are they ever coming. I don't really need to know that the are coming on July 27th or Dec 25th or next Mothers Day which may or may not affect accounting (ok for all you people who read between the lines and jump on weee...this is coming threads...this is an example!! not they are coming) I just want to know can the engine and devs that allegedly can bring all our desires to fruition bring toddlers? We already know they cannot/will not release babies from cribs per the guru in the tech thread. They cannot make terrain tools or a neighborhood designer ala CAW. They cannot add colorwheel. They cannot reduce loading screens. They cannot open the world even between houses. Apparently it is difficult to build a lounge chair. So, can toddlers be made and will they be made at some point in the Sims4 timeline? Simple answer. "Nope, toddlers will never be in the game because we can't do it, it is too costly, time consuming etc. Yes eventually toddlers will be in the game but it will be a long process." Easy peasy answer in my world. That is not an announcement of future content in my book. It is an announcement of whether they can do it, or will do it. Same kind of question we asked about color wheel and got told no. C'mon y'all. We need an answer.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »

You know, there is a big difference in what we are asking then the 'law' disallows. We want to know about toddlers...are they ever coming. I don't really need to know that the are coming on July 27th or Dec 25th or next Mothers Day which may or may not affect accounting (ok for all you people who read between the lines and jump on weee...this is coming threads...this is an example!! not they are coming) I just want to know can the engine and devs that allegedly can bring all our desires to fruition bring toddlers? We already know they cannot/will not release babies from cribs per the guru in the tech thread. They cannot make terrain tools or a neighborhood designer ala CAW. They cannot add colorwheel. They cannot reduce loading screens. They cannot open the world even between houses. Apparently it is difficult to build a lounge chair. So, can toddlers be made and will they be made at some point in the Sims4 timeline? Simple answer. "Nope, toddlers will never be in the game because we can't do it, it is too costly, time consuming etc. Yes eventually toddlers will be in the game but it will be a long process." Easy peasy answer in my world. That is not an announcement of future content in my book. It is an announcement of whether they can do it, or will do it. Same kind of question we asked about color wheel and got told no. C'mon y'all. We need an answer.

Great post!

--T
  • Options
    asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member

Agreed!
  • Options
    VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member

I think the thing is that if they say yes or no they are setting themselves up for a lot of problems. If they say yes, then the question is going to be when. If they say no then how many customers do they risk losing? Probably quite a few if you take into account the amount of threads based around toddlers. It's almost like a lose lose situation for them. If they come out and say yes we are working on toddlers then all the fuss will move onto when are we getting them...when, when, when. If it takes time then it will be like, it's taking to long, why is it taking so long when are we getting toddlers, I'm not buying anything else until you guys release toddlers. If they say nothing then everyone waits, with hope and slowly loses interest over time, leaves the game, continues to play and purchase ep's waiting for that news etc, whichever category they fall into. It's actually quite deceptive on their part but I do agree that a yes or no at this point on that subject is warranted.
  • Options
    VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    Vagenius wrote: »

I think the thing is that if they say yes or no they are setting themselves up for a lot of problems. If they say yes, then the question is going to be when. If they say no then how many customers do they risk losing? Probably quite a few if you take into account the amount of threads based around toddlers. It's almost like a lose lose situation for them. If they come out and say yes we are working on toddlers then all the fuss will move onto when are we getting them...when, when, when. If it takes time then it will be like, it's taking to long, why is it taking so long when are we getting toddlers, I'm not buying anything else until you guys release toddlers. If they say nothing then everyone waits, with hope and slowly loses interest over time, leaves the game, continues to play and purchase ep's waiting for that news etc, whichever category they fall into. It's actually quite deceptive on their part but I do agree that a yes or no at this point on that subject is warranted.

If they leave it until the end of TS4 with no word and people have been buying through hope that will have serious implications for their reputation and whether their customers feel they can trust them in the future too.

They've allowed the situation to become bigger than the actual feature itself by allowing it to become a 'face' representing the issues with TS4.

I don't disagree with anything you say at all, I think it's quite sneaky and deceitful(the handling of the toddlers situation among other things.) I was just giving a possibility of why they would or would not say anything about it. I just think that it doesn't boil down to one small yes or no and figured there was a lot more to it then that. I don't like how they are handling TS4, it's the first time in 16 years of playing The Sims that I am just never excited about what's coming next, I've never been like this with this game.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

If they leave it until the end of TS4 with no word and people have been buying through hope that will have serious implications for their reputation and whether their customers feel they can trust them in the future too.

They've allowed the situation to become bigger than the actual feature itself by allowing it to become a 'face' representing the issues with TS4.

I don't disagree with anything you say at all, I think it's quite sneaky and deceitful(the handling of the toddlers situation among other things.) I was just giving a possibility of why they would or would not say anything about it. I just think that it doesn't boil down to one small yes or no and figured there was a lot more to it then that. I don't like how they are handling TS4, it's the first time in 16 years of playing The Sims that I am just never excited about what's coming next, I've never been like this with this game.

Ditto. I was just elaborating on your point. I'm in the exact same place as you. It feels very alien to me that I'm not excited.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Zafireria wrote: »
    To the people who said that Maxis was doing clever sales tactic and tricks in terms of toddlers being in the base game but then wasn't. (no offence to anyone, I am lacking a better way to call attention to this XD )

Sims 4 was released September 2, 2014, in July the 7th 2014 (so 2 month before the release) Maxis made a blog about what they would include in the game.
    So, rather than include toddlers, we chose to go deeper on the features that make Sims come alive
    Not much to misunderstand from that sentence. 2 month before release they apparently told you guys that toddlers would not be in the game. So can't see why people keep saying to claimed or tricked. They might have at some point said "all life-stages" but all games can change direction. You were given a 2 months to consider if the game were still worth buying or not.

Source: https://www.thesims.com/en_AU/news/whats-out-and-whats-in

And then they made blog posts and interviews and even went on fansites and made forum posts implying that they'd make them a priority.
    Well they changed the direction, which is sucky but not out of the ordinary. Most games that has not yet been released are subject to changes.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    To the people who said that Maxis was doing clever sales tactic and tricks in terms of toddlers being in the base game but then wasn't. (no offence to anyone, I am lacking a better way to call attention to this XD )

Sims 4 was released September 2, 2014, in July the 7th 2014 (so 2 month before the release) Maxis made a blog about what they would include in the game.
    So, rather than include toddlers, we chose to go deeper on the features that make Sims come alive
    Not much to misunderstand from that sentence. 2 month before release they apparently told you guys that toddlers would not be in the game. So can't see why people keep saying to claimed or tricked. They might have at some point said "all life-stages" but all games can change direction. You were given a 2 months to consider if the game were still worth buying or not.

Source: https://www.thesims.com/en_AU/news/whats-out-and-whats-in

Add the one where they said 'wouldn't be in at launch' and we will talk. :D
    I believe they said all stage would be included, they just never said at launch :P

They absolutely did say "at launch".

---and as for your reply to me...they didn't change direction. They blatantly misled to sell base game copies and then kept going in the same direction. I'd like to start a class action lawsuit against that business practice.
    Well if that is how you feel, I can't stop you. But if they told you guys no toddlers with a 2 month warning, isn't that enough to cancel pre-orders? Or start a riot at their office?
    If they have said that at launch and then kept misleading people until they made that blog. I can certainly understand your anger when you have been told from the start "All lifestage!" and then like 2 month before release they turn around and go "Yeah no..." I am surprised you haven't stormed their office already.

Don't be absurd by suggesting anyone would 'storm their office'. That's wildly inappropriate to suggest.

The reason the 'at launch' caveat means something is because it suggests a temporary situation-reinforced by the ghosts, pools and careers patch announcements and implementation shortly post release. It indicated a move on Maxis part to make good on their base content that they 'ran out of time' for. 'At launch was included in those blogs you keep referencing. That's the point.

They asked their customers to believe in them. Allowing said customers to then feel let down further is absolutely not good for Maxis long term or their customers. It breeds mistrust, makes future sales more difficult, (with EA scaling down on marketing costs existing customers become more important as they are generally loyal and seek out the adverts themselves) leads to further damage to their reputation, and changes loyal business relationships they have been able to rely on in the past an unknown quantity.

A customer should not be made to feel like they did the wrong thing by trying to support the studio down the line. It shows that customer was loyal and wanted the best of Maxis. Instead of derision from others it should be appreciated.
    Think you are taking my post a bit too serious o.O *storming office* and "riot" are more a way of explaining, how you feel in terms of the situation. Here I mean, when you found all this out, you probably wanted to visit them at their office and talk sense into them and make them fix it. Not something you'll ever do, but you have the thought that you wish you could change things just by doing that.
    I am not suggestion people actually went there and caused harm and issues. Its was a rather poor metaphor sort of thing, sorry.

I don't actually think that is Maxis doing, more EA's policy and guidelines. EA isn't exactly the best company, they have a habit of being a company that never talks to their customers, no matter what games. They were probably told to say those things. Of course I do not know the situation, so I can't say for sure, I am just saying what I have seen them do normally.
    I just hope they open communication somehow before their reputation gets worse.

So do I. I've said many times the poor communication has absolutely made the situation much worse. As someone who invested early despite the issues I expected EA/Maxis to appreciate those customers who did so and not read comments which indicated otherwise.

EA have been making a lot of fuss about improving the customer experience and so I think it's important that when they get it right they hear why and when they get it wrong they do too. It's how things truly change within a company.

Maxis has also had struggles recently-this and SC2013. As someone who has supported the studio since before the sims started I would like to see things improve to regain the great experience I've had from them for all those years which justified the loyalty I had to them. I was proud to be a fan of Maxis-and I always used to say that I knew EA had a bad reputation but I'd never had that trouble while supporting Maxis. Until now. It's just disappointing after so many years to experience such a situation.

I'm also very worried that Maxis will suffer in the same fashion as other studios EA bought that I supported which they just shut down. Maxis has many years of rave successes and I want to make sure EA know how much that means. I don't want it to be absorbed into just mobile gaming. Mobile isn't close to the depth which attracted me to the studio and their products.
    Technically Maxis has already been shut down. Maxis Emeryville studio was shut down in March 15th 2015. But then September 25, 2015, Electronic Arts announced that Maxis was reassigned to the EA Mobile division. So they got closed then reopened as a mobile company. I believe its The Sims Studio who runs the show now. Tho the communication was rather poor before they got shut down, I think it started to slowly go down hill after Sims 2 came to an end and Sims 3 began, then when Sims 4 was released it was like someone *gagged* the entire sims studio team. Like I mention before I hope they open up soon about communication.

Nah, things where good back in the TS3 days. A few hiccups here and there but nothing any worse than before
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    boguczed1boguczed1 Posts: 170 Member
    We have to be respectful of the Devs, they are doing what they can and saying what they are allowed to based on what their administrators say they can. They are not to blame. Being patient and buying into the game or not is our own choice. Oh and @SimGuruDrake that was very kind of you to respond to the OP.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    boguczed1 wrote: »
    We have to be respectful of the Devs, they are doing what they can and saying what they are allowed to based on what their administrators say they can. They are not to blame. Being patient and buying into the game or not is our own choice. Oh and @SimGuruDrake that was very kind of you to respond to the OP.
    Yeah I agree. I definitely going to feel sorry for them this upcoming week although past few weeks hasn't been easy either. SimGuruDrake does have a tough job on her hands and most of the things that are going on with Maxis occurred before she joined the team.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    PandaORosePandaORose Posts: 549 Member
    YungGigi wrote: »
    I don't know why y'all adore and have so much sympathy for these gurus. They're literally part of the problem. They're middlemen between us customers and the company and still we don't get anything we want. They just pop up and say pretty things to try to calm the community.

True. It would be nice if they relayed our messages to them and we actually saw change in the game. But what boss says, goes. So, even if they did spread our ideas and wants, it's still up to the higher-ups to decide what to ultimately do. They might even be told to say "pretty things" to keep the community on here from being in a larger uproar.
    2750512.gif~c200

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I don't know why y'all adore and have so much sympathy for these gurus. They're literally part of the problem. They're middlemen between us customers and the company and still we don't get anything we want. They just pop up and say pretty things to try to calm the community.
    I can't help but like SimGuruDrake. She's always been really kind towards me. I don't know, I tend to connect to people based on their personality whether they work for Maxis or not. I guess I've always been that way even when I was on Gaiaonline. I treated everyone like humans, or at least tried to.

Do I like what EA/Maxis did to SimCity? No. Do I think history will repeat itself with the Sims 4? I don't know, maybe. I just know Gurus have had to answer a lot of tough questions past few weeks and I tend to admire them for answering some of those questions and with dealing with some of the stressful situations so far with the media and everything. Gamescom I admit was still an epic embarrassment though. XD Like seeing @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruEugi @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruArvin @SimGuruNick posting in forums lately, I'm learning a lot. I like seeing them active on forums. It is a nice change from having the complete silence we had a year ago. I'm probably the first to question EA's business decisions, but I am admiring how they are handling things lately. I'm starting to see the passion of the Sims again from Gurus, which is a nice change. I'm starting to see Simmers mingle with each other more despite their differences of likes and dislikes and stick up for one another. It is starting to feel like a community again, slowly but surely.

Plus personally I think many of those decisions are in EA/Maxis management's hands. It is like yelling at the cashier at a fast food place for changes in stock prices of that company.

Not like I haven't been vocal enough on forums anyways. ;) We can give feedback without resulting in name calling both Gurus and Simmers alike.

@PandaORose Exactly. The bosses rule the company.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I can't help but like SimGuruDrake. She's always been really kind towards me. I don't know, I tend to connect to people based on their personality whether they work for Maxis or not. I guess I've always been that way even when I was on Gaiaonline. I treated everyone like humans, or at least tried to.

Do I like what EA/Maxis did to SimCity? No. Do I think history will repeat itself with the Sims 4? I don't know, maybe. I just know Gurus have had to answer a lot of tough questions past few weeks and I tend to admire them for answering some of those questions and with dealing with some of the stressful situations so far with the media and everything. Gamescom I admit was still an epic embarrassment though. XD Like seeing @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruEugi @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruArvin @SimGuruNick posting in forums lately, I'm learning a lot. I like seeing them active on forums. It is a nice change from having the complete silence we had a year ago. I'm probably the first to question EA's business decisions, but I am admiring how they are handling things lately. I'm starting to see the passion of the Sims again from Gurus, which is a nice change. I'm starting to see Simmers mingle with each other more despite their differences of likes and dislikes and stick up for one another. It is starting to feel like a community again, slowly but surely.

Plus personally I think many of those decisions are in EA/Maxis management's hands. It is like yelling at the cashier at a fast food place for changes in stock prices of that company.

Not like I haven't been vocal enough on forums anyways. ;) We can give feedback without resulting in name calling both Gurus and Simmers alike.

@PandaORose Exactly. The bosses rule the company.

What's funny is I compared gurus before to customer service and I must've set off an alarm because a guru "magically" appeared talking about how wrong I was and how they do soooo much. So you comparing them to fast food cashiers is very ironic lol. They should just own up to it.
  • Options
    What's funny is I compared gurus before to customer service and I must've set off an alarm because a guru "magically" appeared talking about how wrong I was and how they do soooo much. So you comparing them to fast food cashiers is very ironic lol. They should just own up to it.
    Meh I'll probably get yelled about it too. But yeah they aren't the bosses. There was a whole reshuffling of roles talked about here: http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/24/9392697/ea-maxis-lucy-bradshaw-departs-mobile