Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA accused SimFans.de of 'leaking something' and now they're closing down.

124...Next

Comments

• TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    Couldn't have said it better than @Piperbird.

Part of my job involves contract enforcement, and virtually every time someone faces consequences for violation of it, it's the same sort of reply - "I don't know what I did", "I didn't do anything wrong", "You didn't warn me", "You didn't explain precisely what I did wrong" - even though it's right there in black in white in the signed agreement.

It's not EA's job to hold their hand and explain what they did wrong and give them second chances. They should re-read the agreement and then go back through the information they made available to fans and figure it out themselves. It shouldn't be up to EA to pay employees for the time spent explaining and arguing the finer points of the contract they had.

But i read every post of them and they NEVER shared anything that wasn't already posted or leaked on the big english sites (Simsvip / Simscommunity)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2016

Part of my job involves contract enforcement, and virtually every time someone faces consequences for violation of it, it's the same sort of reply - "I don't know what I did", "I didn't do anything wrong", "You didn't warn me", "You didn't explain precisely what I did wrong" - even though it's right there in black in white in the signed agreement.

It's not EA's job to hold their hand and explain what they did wrong and give them second chances. They should re-read the agreement and then go back through the information they made available to fans and figure it out themselves. It shouldn't be up to EA to pay employees for the time spent explaining and arguing the finer points of the contract they had.
    Yeah, well, not in my country. When there's a contract it's impossible one of the parties can one day say: 'Hey, yeah, sorry, but you broke the rules there, like... somewhere, ya know, anyway, I'm breaking the contract. And you can figure out for yourself why, it happened somewhere in spring, bye bye."

p.s. there's no contract in this case of course, so yeah, of course EA can do this, but that's a different matter
    5JZ57S6.png
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Pretty sure SimsFans.de were one of the first sites to post all the information for Get Together first, while everyone else were still under NDA for a lot of things. Which is probably why this has happened. Probably didn't mean it, but yeah, I believe they posted before they were supposed to.
    And unlike SimsVIP who made a publishing error and took it down straight away, SimFans.de left it up, probably until EA had to ask them to take it down.
  • lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    TheSimer wrote: »
    But i read every post of them and they NEVER shared anything that wasn't already posted or leaked on the big english sites (Simsvip / Simscommunity)

We don't know what constitutes a leak according to the contract. We don't have enough information to determine whether EA was mistaken in terminating their involvement. My guess is EA has a better legal team than Simfans.de - but I don't know that for sure either.

I just know it's not EA's job to interpret the contract Simfans.de signed. As @Piperbird pointed out, Simfans.de has the option to pursue it legally if they so choose.
    Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @jackjack_k you have no more idea than anyone else. You don't know they posted something early and you certainly don't know they defied a request from EA until they took further action.
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    @jackjack_k you have no more idea than anyone else. You don't know they posted something early and you certainly don't know they defied a request from EA until they took further action.

This. It can be literally anything.
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    A contract is a contract you break it you have to face the consequences. EA doesn't owe them anything. This is just how the REAL world works. In my line of work if you breach confidentiality you don't only lose you job, you can lose your whole career.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited May 2016
    TheSimer wrote: »

They had a Facebook page, a Twitter account, an Instagram account, a Twitch account, and a YouTube account, so who knows? I don't. Whatever it was might have been deleted before a lot of people saw it, might have been somewhere not many people noticed, or might even have been something only EA recognized as a leak. Anyway, we'll never know. Nobody owes us an explanation as uninvolved people, and it might be something we aren't meant to know anyway, so it would be impossible to tell us. I do hope that the people running the site get the clarification they need.

(edit: ugh, typing.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
    A contract is a contract you break it you have to face the consequences. EA doesn't owe them anything. This is just how the REAL world works. In my line of work if you breach confidentiality you don't only lose you job, you can lose your whole career.

What you said is really subjective :confused: It dosen't work like that, sorry. Job and career are two total different things.

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Sadly, EA/Maxis do not have to give any reason why they were cut because it is not like a judicial system where the defendant is made aware of the charge. They made their peace and moved onto other Sims related activity. The Sims series to me is very toxic right now and even though EA/Maxis may have the right it still puts them in a bad light.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I live in the real world and I've seen several people getting fired because their employer decided they had every right to. And in several of those cases a lawyer decided differently. So even when only the legal side of the matter was all that counts (it doesn't, I'm absolutely sure that site is absolutely powerless here) things are not as 'fixed' as they may seem.

This is a non dicussion though, because there is no contract here, probably just an agreement. And a "I don't like your hairstyle" from EA would probably be enough to quit the relationship here. For me it's a case of cold and hard vs warm and devoted. Unless the site is lying, in which case shame on them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    This is a non dicussion though, because there is no contract here, probably just an agreement.

So, a huge company like EA is just taking it on faith? That's a stretch.
    Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    @JoAnne65 NDAs are contracts. The fact that the A stands for "agreement" doesn't change that. In every legal sense, they are contracts.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    EA can cease contact with any entity at any time so long as they are not under some sort of contractual partnership. The case here, is pretty cut and dry.

Let's not forget how quickly EA has dropped contacts in the past. It's a dog eat dog world out there, those sites who don't cater to EA are of no value, especially when EA manipulates them for free marketing of their products.

As unfortunate as it is that SimFans is shutting down their website, that move is completely separate from EA. They could drag it into court if they felt it necessary, but they would lose that battle. I do think "SimFans" and the registered owner of the site should be informed of what exactly they did to violate their NDA, and hopefully they are able to resolve any issues stemming from that.
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    My only issue with it is that the site owner wasn't told exactly what violated the NDA. I mean if it was due to a leak then it has to be something that the other sites haven't leaked or chose not to leak for that matter.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited May 2016
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    My only issue with it is that the site owner wasn't told exactly what violated the NDA. I mean if it was due to a leak then it has to be something that the other sites haven't leaked or chose not to leak for that matter.

It seems like it was, perhaps, a miscommunication between EA and their site.

I don't see why keyboard warriors are attempting to defend the site or EA regarding this this excommunication when nobody knows what really happened.
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member

What you said is really subjective :confused: It dosen't work like that, sorry. Job and career are two total different things.

Sorry but in my line of work it does work like that. I work in the medical field. If one discusses patients outside of the office you will lose your job and in some cases you lose your license to work in the medical field, thus losing your career.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top