Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 is the best selling PC game of 2015!

Comments

• Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited May 2016
    Schantal wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I'll quote myself from a different topic:

I have a feeling that EA could come out and give people a financial report that says "The Sims 4 sold 10 million and this is how much profit it brought" and the forums would still be like "yeah, right. Pff. You're lying!".

it's like you people can not believe that there are people that genuinely like and are playing The sims 4. Even though sim gurus have repeatedly said that The Sims 4 is growing in audience and is bringing serious profit. I've seen people even say "they're lying to their workers and shareholders". Like really? Can you just not admit that the game is doing just fine?
    Based on personal observations among simmers I know, that would in fact surprise me. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would genuinely surprise me.
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    @mortia wrote: »
    1 Euro =
    1.1308 U.S. dollars

I know what the Euro is, but WHERE in Euro is what matters. Parts of Europe have a much stronger dollar than others.

I...can't even...

What? I mean for example, in Ireland, The Sims 3 Starter Pack retails for around 20 Euro in-store. In Greece, it's 40 Euro in-store.
    I don't even live in Europe to know parts of Euorpe charge more than others depending on how strong the economy is.
    @kovu0207 wrote: »
    Anyway, you're all just trying to deflect the attention, because of the fact the Sims 4 has done what The Sims 3 didn't. None of this actually matters to The Sims 4 and it's success.

Sims 3 topped all sorts of charts during its release, so what is it exactly that sims 4 has done that sims 3 failed to do?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/117865/EA_The_Sims_3_TopSelling_PC_Game_Worldwide_In_2009.php

During the beginning of it's release. What did the Sims 3 do after 2009? Even EA said The Sims 3 sold 3 million in 3 month, yet after 5 years sold 10 million on all platforms, meaning the Sims 3 on PC fizzled out quickly.
    @Rflong7 wrote: »
    What didn't TS3 do? O.o

Have longevity.

I know what the Euro is, but WHERE in Euro is what matters. Parts of Europe have a much stronger dollar than others.

Can you explain this?

Where abouts in Europe has no bearing on the Euro itself. It's not like there's a Finish Euro and a Spanish Euro, if something is 40 Euros then it's 40 Euros everywhere.

It's not though, because of the strength of the Economy. There's no Finish Euro, or Spanish Euro, but depending on the economy per country, parts of Europe have a stronger Dollar (I should probably say Euro) than others meaning, depending on where you go in Europe, you pay more or less for things.

In Ireland, The Sims 3 Starter Pack retails for 20 Euro. The same game retails for 40 Euro in Greece.

Ireland is in the UK though. And the difference between prices is due to the value-added tax, it's not due to how strong or weak a coin is. And I'm not in Greece.

Ireland is in the UK, but used Euro. I'm not saying about how strong or weak a coin is in literal terms, I'm using as a figure of speech. For example, in Australia, we all use AUD, yet in parts of Australia, the dollar is worth more depending on where you live.
    For Elec and Gas, in Victoria, people can get up to 30% off. While in New South Wales, only 18% off. The difference comes through Tax (obviously) as well as how rich a part of the country is, but also how the economy is.

There's no difference in actual conversion of AUD, but depending on where you go, you'll pay more or less for the same thing. That's a standard, especially in Europe. And right now, parts of Europe are much poorer than others, which is why the same product is being sold for different prices.

I will argue though, EA are ripping off Europe, by just throwing out a price for the whole of Europe, when they should adjust it based on what it's worth in Retail. The fact it's 40 Euro on Orgin in Ireland, but 20 in store is lazy on EA's behalf.

The price for online games is the same everywhere but discussing how cheap or expensive it is for a person is relative. Never the less they never lowered the price of TS3 here. The Starter Pack with one EP and a SP is 40 euros plus 40 euros for each separate EP. Another example I always like to give when discussing this is the fact that games on the PSN are 10 euros cheaper here than if you buy them physically, just to give you some perspective.

Yet, the Sims 3 games physically are MUCH cheaper than what EA are charging, which probably means they throw a base figure out for the entirety of Europe.
    However, The Sims 3 physically, is more accurate to how the price works. EA are just being lazy. Like the time they wanted Australia and New Zealand to pay the same for Outdoor Retreat, which meant $40 AUD (Get To Work was $50). Yeah no.
    They fixed it, and made it $30. But Origin are literally terrible when it comes to setting prices.

You can buy the Sims 3 cheap in Europe by going to an actual store, although I noticed Greece also charge 40 Euro in-store.
    But Ireland, Germany etc seem to show 19 - 29 Euro.
    Sims%203_zpscfeqawdf.png

That's Seasons in a well known German retail with shops in my country as well; this is their offer in Holland.

That isn't just a German retail Media Markt is like the European Best Buy it's spread across most Europe.
    To be honest I almost wrote 'a Dutch retail' when I noticed in the right upper corner of my screen it's actually German :DBut you're right.

these forums paint a far FAR more negative picture than it really is. This is the place where people come to complain. Other simming communities that I'm in just seem happy.
    But I'm not basing it on my experiences here. In fact this is the only place where I see an actual active and defending fanbase for the game. It's other forums, where there is no negativity nor positivity, where I see very few people playing the game at the moment, hardly responding when news is shared, not buying and - like here - sometimes returning to Sims 3 or not playing at all. Which may be temporarily but that is the situation now. I'm not saying this observation of mine is accurate by the way and I may be completely wrong (maybe it's not the game that is unpopular but forums). I just find myself being surprised when I see Sims 4 at the top of a sales list like here. And then I see Sims 3 very high on the same list (which is odd of course), and SimCity and... well, I just don't buy it just like that. Not out of negativity, there is really nothing appealing for me in Sims 4 being a failure in sales. Even when apparently Sims money doesn't automatically go to Sims....

I'm seeing 20K+ people online in gallery. I really don't see the lack of activity surrounding The Sims 4 honestly.

You do realize that in gaming that number is ridiculously low right? I think some people who play sims are in a sheltered bubble and don't understand that most other games out there sell MILLIONS of dollars and have millions of players across the globe. 20,000 is actually REALLY low, ridiculously low actually.

20k+ concurrent players on the gallery in a single player only game that's been out for almost two years is hardly "ridiculously low". I mean, maybe if you want to compare it with Skyrim, maybe, but in general for a single player game, not really.

As for the topic at hand, it's a little surprising, but then, there weren't that many huge releases in 2015, other than Fallout 4. Not sure if it'll be able to hold it for this year, since Overwatch is coming out soon, and if the open beta is any indication, it's going to sell quite nicely. So, we'll see.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    Surprised that Fallout 4 did so well (and pleased), given that probably 3/4ths of it's audience is for Xbox or PS4.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    Best seller?! But, but, EA's marketing.... and the no toddlers... how can this be when they haven't even told us what they're working on??
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

I have a feeling that EA could come out and give people a financial report that says "The Sims 4 sold 10 million and this is how much profit it brought" and the forums would still be like "yeah, right. Pff. You're lying!".

it's like you people can not believe that there are people that genuinely like and are playing The sims 4. Even though sim gurus have repeatedly said that The Sims 4 is growing in audience and is bringing serious profit. I've seen people even say "they're lying to their workers and shareholders". Like really? Can you just not admit that the game is doing just fine?
    Based on personal observations among simmers I know, that would in fact surprise me. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would genuinely surprise me.
    1 Euro =
    1.1308 U.S. dollars

I...can't even...

What? I mean for example, in Ireland, The Sims 3 Starter Pack retails for around 20 Euro in-store. In Greece, it's 40 Euro in-store.
    I don't even live in Europe to know parts of Euorpe charge more than others depending on how strong the economy is.
    Anyway, you're all just trying to deflect the attention, because of the fact the Sims 4 has done what The Sims 3 didn't. None of this actually matters to The Sims 4 and it's success.

Sims 3 topped all sorts of charts during its release, so what is it exactly that sims 4 has done that sims 3 failed to do?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/117865/EA_The_Sims_3_TopSelling_PC_Game_Worldwide_In_2009.php

During the beginning of it's release. What did the Sims 3 do after 2009? Even EA said The Sims 3 sold 3 million in 3 month, yet after 5 years sold 10 million on all platforms, meaning the Sims 3 on PC fizzled out quickly.
    What didn't TS3 do? O.o

Have longevity.

Can you explain this?

Where abouts in Europe has no bearing on the Euro itself. It's not like there's a Finish Euro and a Spanish Euro, if something is 40 Euros then it's 40 Euros everywhere.

It's not though, because of the strength of the Economy. There's no Finish Euro, or Spanish Euro, but depending on the economy per country, parts of Europe have a stronger Dollar (I should probably say Euro) than others meaning, depending on where you go in Europe, you pay more or less for things.

In Ireland, The Sims 3 Starter Pack retails for 20 Euro. The same game retails for 40 Euro in Greece.

Ireland is in the UK though. And the difference between prices is due to the value-added tax, it's not due to how strong or weak a coin is. And I'm not in Greece.

Ireland is in the UK, but used Euro. I'm not saying about how strong or weak a coin is in literal terms, I'm using as a figure of speech. For example, in Australia, we all use AUD, yet in parts of Australia, the dollar is worth more depending on where you live.
    For Elec and Gas, in Victoria, people can get up to 30% off. While in New South Wales, only 18% off. The difference comes through Tax (obviously) as well as how rich a part of the country is, but also how the economy is.

There's no difference in actual conversion of AUD, but depending on where you go, you'll pay more or less for the same thing. That's a standard, especially in Europe. And right now, parts of Europe are much poorer than others, which is why the same product is being sold for different prices.

I will argue though, EA are ripping off Europe, by just throwing out a price for the whole of Europe, when they should adjust it based on what it's worth in Retail. The fact it's 40 Euro on Orgin in Ireland, but 20 in store is lazy on EA's behalf.

The price for online games is the same everywhere but discussing how cheap or expensive it is for a person is relative. Never the less they never lowered the price of TS3 here. The Starter Pack with one EP and a SP is 40 euros plus 40 euros for each separate EP. Another example I always like to give when discussing this is the fact that games on the PSN are 10 euros cheaper here than if you buy them physically, just to give you some perspective.

Yet, the Sims 3 games physically are MUCH cheaper than what EA are charging, which probably means they throw a base figure out for the entirety of Europe.
    However, The Sims 3 physically, is more accurate to how the price works. EA are just being lazy. Like the time they wanted Australia and New Zealand to pay the same for Outdoor Retreat, which meant $40 AUD (Get To Work was $50). Yeah no.
    They fixed it, and made it $30. But Origin are literally terrible when it comes to setting prices.

You can buy the Sims 3 cheap in Europe by going to an actual store, although I noticed Greece also charge 40 Euro in-store.
    Sims%203_zpscfeqawdf.png

That's Seasons in a well known German retail with shops in my country as well; this is their offer in Holland.

That isn't just a German retail Media Markt is like the European Best Buy it's spread across most Europe.
    To be honest I almost wrote 'a Dutch retail' when I noticed in the right upper corner of my screen it's actually German :DBut you're right.

these forums paint a far FAR more negative picture than it really is. This is the place where people come to complain. Other simming communities that I'm in just seem happy.

If you're talking about social media you can go any where and see a lot of disappointment right beside the players who are enjoying it. If you're talking about other forums there are some out there that just flat out don't allow negative posts about the game. There are also the communities that are vying for a piece of the Maxis scoop pie so they only praise it.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    jude72pla wrote: »
    @Ravager619
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    That was a very interesting read. My age group only makes up 18% of all gamers, and I've always wondered if it's because when you hit 36 or so society has told us in the past "You're too old to play games!"?

But did you notice it then goes back up for the next age bracket,

Yes. I'm not there yet, but I always thought the next age bracket up meant, "I don't care what anyone thinks. I'm off to go play my games." ;)
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    People demand sales and figures and when they get some they still try to put it down.

We got some sales figures???... Where?

Like it's okay to hate the game but that doesn't change the fact it's doing very well.

Is it though?

As I said earlier, it nearly lost its spot to a game that was released at the end of the year.
    raw
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    SoapSuds wrote: »

1 Euro =
    1.1308 U.S. dollars

I...can't even...

What didn't TS3 do? O.o

Have longevity.

Can you explain this?

Sims%203_zpscfeqawdf.png

But I'm not basing it on my experiences here. In fact this is the only place where I see an actual active and defending fanbase for the game. It's other forums, where there is no negativity nor positivity, where I see very few people playing the game at the moment, hardly responding when news is shared, not buying and - like here - sometimes returning to Sims 3 or not playing at all. Which may be temporarily but that is the situation now. I'm not saying this observation of mine is accurate by the way and I may be completely wrong (maybe it's not the game that is unpopular but forums). I just find myself being surprised when I see Sims 4 at the top of a sales list like here. And then I see Sims 3 very high on the same list (which is odd of course), and SimCity and... well, I just don't buy it just like that. Not out of negativity, there is really nothing appealing for me in Sims 4 being a failure in sales. Even when apparently Sims money doesn't automatically go to Sims....

I'm seeing 20K+ people online in gallery. I really don't see the lack of activity surrounding The Sims 4 honestly.

You do realize that in gaming that number is ridiculously low right? I think some people who play sims are in a sheltered bubble and don't understand that most other games out there sell MILLIONS of dollars and have millions of players across the globe. 20,000 is actually REALLY low, ridiculously low actually.

20k+ concurrent players on the gallery in a single player only game that's been out for almost two years is hardly "ridiculously low". I mean, maybe if you want to compare it with Skyrim, maybe, but in general for a single player game, not really.

As for the topic at hand, it's a little surprising, but then, there weren't that many huge releases in 2015, other than Fallout 4. Not sure if it'll be able to hold it for this year, since Overwatch is coming out soon, and if the open beta is any indication, it's going to sell quite nicely. So, we'll see.

Actually most singleplayer games, even very old ones have a larger fanbase then that... Cities Skylines 50K+ fanbase at max, Subnautica has a fanbase of 5k+ max on at once and that isn't even out of beta yet, Crusader Kings 2 5K+ in game right now, hell even BioShock still manages to get over 2K and that's really old, so 20k+ isn't really that much.
    raw
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited May 2016
    Evil_One wrote: »
    Actually most singleplayer games, even very old ones have a larger fanbase then that... Cities Skylines 50K+ fanbase at max, Subnautica has a fanbase of 5k+ max on at once and that isn't even out of beta yet, Crusader Kings 2 5K+ in game right now, hell even BioShock still manages to get over 2K and that's really old, so 20k+ isn't really that much.

Cities: Skylines has 7K players online on average. Not 50K. Do not lie.
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Why are we still arguing everything as if there's a competition between Sims 3 and Sims 4, and only one can win? I think it's awesome that both titles still clearly have a strong audience when there are so many other kinds of popular games to play out there, ones that get big advertising dollars because they're multiplatform (Fallout etc.) or start free but can pull in tons of money from cheap pay-to-level options (mobile games). Maybe we could just ... be happy? Be happy that multiple versions of the game seem to be doing well for the studio, no matter which one we personally prefer?

It's 🐸🐸🐸🐸, isn't it? I enjoy TS3 and TS4 and I have no doubt I'd still be enjoying TS2 if I had it on my computer.

It's just the usual that you see on this forum - endless nonsense.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    Why are we still arguing everything as if there's a competition between Sims 3 and Sims 4, and only one can win? I think it's awesome that both titles still clearly have a strong audience when there are so many other kinds of popular games to play out there, ones that get big advertising dollars because they're multiplatform (Fallout etc.) or start free but can pull in tons of money from cheap pay-to-level options (mobile games). Maybe we could just ... be happy? Be happy that multiple versions of the game seem to be doing well for the studio, no matter which one we personally prefer?

It's 🐸🐸🐸🐸, isn't it? I enjoy TS3 and TS4 and I have no doubt I'd still be enjoying TS2 if I had it on my computer.

I wonder if there is a reason for it? Hm... us being so, well - we all know you didn't really use the word PLUM, did you? So, who's the big kid on the playground? :lol:
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

I wonder if there is a reason for it? Hm... us being so, well - we all know you didn't really use the word PLUM, did you? So, who's the big kid on the playground? :lol:

You know nonsense is in the eye of the beholder. :D
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Haha.. :|
  • Options
    Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    "Why are we still arguing everything as if there's a competition between Sims 3 and Sims 4, "

Before it used to be Sims 2 vs Sims 3. Oh my.. I still remember.. lol
  • Options
    jude72plajude72pla Posts: 784 Member
    jude72pla wrote: »
    @Ravager619
    That was a very interesting read. My age group only makes up 18% of all gamers, and I've always wondered if it's because when you hit 36 or so society has told us in the past "You're too old to play games!"?

But did you notice it then goes back up for the next age bracket,

Yes. I'm not there yet, but I always thought the next age bracket up meant, "I don't care what anyone thinks. I'm off to go play my games." ;)

It could also be they have more time on their hands and money to enjoy the games.
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    I honestly couldn't care less what some "list" or "sales report" show for the number one, or best-selling game, or anything like that.
    (There are lots of games that claim to be "best selling, "favorites". etc., but I think are horrid. So those reports don't mean anything to me.)
    The only thing that matters to me", is if "I" like it ! :p

• Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    I honestly couldn't care less what some "list" or "sales report" show for the number one, or best-selling game, or anything like that.
    (There are lots of games that claim to be "best selling, "favorites". etc., but I think are horrid. So those reports don't mean anything to me.)
    Same with books! xD Every book I seem to buy has been the best-selling book.
  • Options

Ditto for me - I like what I like, regardless of what other people like. I just wish other people weren't so intent on trying to prove what I like, is actually not good at all. People are so mean! ;)
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Zafireria wrote: »
    Same with books! xD Every book I seem to buy has been the best-selling book.
    LOL same with movies too. Every movie released is best movie of all time. XD
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Dylan.WalshDylan.Walsh Posts: 115 Member
    I am not a frequent Sims 4 player, but I am always trying to know if the game could bring back something good for gameplay. I just found the same discussion on the link provided by Sims VIP. Many old players are not 100% satisfied with The Sims 4.

http://simsvip.com/2016/05/11/sims-4-player-base-grew-nearly-two-thirds-fy16/
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    edited May 2016

Actually, you're mistaken there. Here's a comparison between Steam's top current players, and the gallery listing:

ExnRRi9.jpg

6SCA0l8.jpg

Sims 4 is easily in the top 20 right now, on a Saturday/weekend when most players are active. On the weekdays, it's in the top 10 (and often in the top 5) because Sims 4 gallery population alone is steadily 20k+ during most days in prime time, and that's not counting those who play offline. It's actually good to above average in comparison with other games, not low. And considering it's single player and a few years past release now, I'd say it's doing as good if not better than most similar single player games in terms of retention. It's even beating out GTA V and Call of Duty Black Ops III.

In fact, if you take out the multiplayer games in that Steam list, Sims 4 is definitely in the top 10 area:

WXFwN1O.jpg

And there may still be some on that list that have decent multiplayer that I'm not aware of.

Anyway, this is all to say that downplaying the significance of 20k concurrently players compared to other games on the PC is misleading at best. But I won't go so far as to say you're 'in a sheltered bubble' or anything.

Edit/Addition: I forgot to mention that in the last pic above, I stopped crossing out the multiplayer titles at GTA V which is just under the current player base for Sims 4. I'm aware Smite and COD are still there.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I understand you just want to vent, but there are enough threads out there, specifically for that. If you choose to state your opinion on the game, you have to accept that others will state theirs.
    Some like the game and others don't. Both are perfectly fine opinions, but everyone has the right to state theirs and none are 'right', they are about personal choices.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2016
    *double post*
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Ditto for me - I like what I like, regardless of what other people like. I just wish other people weren't so intent on trying to prove what I like, is actually not good at all. People are so mean! ;)
    I see people here questioning a poll and I see someone calling people a word I had to look up in my dictionary and it turned out to be not so nice. It turned out to be a rather mean word actually.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »
    People demand sales and figures and when they get some they still try to put it down.

We got some sales figures???... Where?

Like it's okay to hate the game but that doesn't change the fact it's doing very well.

Is it though?

As I said earlier, it nearly lost its spot to a game that was released at the end of the year.

Yes, it IS doing great. I wonder how many times the Gurus will have to state kt before people listen. Sim Guru Drake literally just posted a few says ago sims 4 was doing very great.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top