Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Jasnik82Jasnik82 Posts: 917 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Hi Magician and MerryWiddow,

Great thread, perfect for nurturing the novice builder or improving the more experienced creator.

Bookmarking you.

Jasnik :)
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited November 2009
    magician1 wrote:
    yanti68 wrote:
    Hi there MerryWiddow!
    Here is one of my recent builds! I am interested to hear what you have to say about it! Here is the link to the thread where the lot was originally posted:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/120991.page

Hi

I dl'd and rec'd your house. Nice job and good luck with it.

Thank you Magician for your recommendation and your comment! :D
  • happyone2009happyone2009 Posts: 3,350 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Well, I just uploaded my house last night and I would love some input. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, I can take anything lol. This is my 3rd house I've built and I know its not the best but if you look at my first house its improved alot since then, or at least thats what I like to think lol. So, please just give me your honest feedback. :)

Heres the house: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=1479072

Heres the story: http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=121753
  • magician1magician1 Posts: 3,098 Member
    edited November 2009
    Jasnik82 wrote:

Great thread, perfect for nurturing the novice builder or improving the more experienced creator.

Bookmarking you.

Thank you very much and welcome.

Thank you for the bookmark as well.

• XOX1XOX1 Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited November 2009
    ruthless_kk-

I am open to your opinions.

I knew I was in for it when I was the first poster to stick my neck out with an entry.

Being an accomplished builder and artist of worthy standing, You have some insight on how we do let our feathers get ruffled a little too easily.

I know the general rule of 2 complimentary solids, 1 floral, and 1 geometric pattern. I am also aware of the 5 basic color types derived from the 256 standard colors.

I will readily admit that I broke those rules on purpose during this build for the sake of a thematic statement.

Funny story from younger days...

Right after I had pointed out to my then employer- "Did you ever notice that the hardest sales are people who are inclined to say the word 'Too' over and over"? - a lady came in, and said everything was "too" so many times, that my employer lost his temper, and shut down the store in the middle of the day.

Uniqueness in art is often derived from taking chances, and breaking some established guidelines.

My adverse reaction was due more to wanting to see both form and function being considered.

This is my oldest build still available for download from my page. I have learned much about how to present my builds to the community, and am always willing to learn more, and evolve. My download numbers have been increasing along with my talents in the Sims 3 format. Learning how to post with a cover picture was a great success just by itself.

I still have commitments to the Berry Sweet Nieghbourhood Project to finish, but after that, I intend to redo some of my earlier lots with my newfound knowledge.

My first will most likely be this lot, as "Recurve Revisited". I will be using the critiques from this thread as a guide. I may change the decor, but it is unlikely that I will change much of the arrangement, as my sims love it so much.

PirateStrandSnapshot-01.jpg

edited November 2009
    Well, I just uploaded my house last night and I would love some input. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, I can take anything lol. This is my 3rd house I've built and I know its not the best but if you look at my first house its improved alot since then, or at least thats what I like to think lol. So, please just give me your honest feedback. :)

Welcome and thank you for sharing your house with us.

I've downloaded your house and will go and play it. Comments will follow after that.

Thank you
  • MinraedMinraed Posts: 1,159 Member
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the link to my site too M&M. Even though my site is photography/machinima based we all play the game and we all LOVE builds (even if we can't build em ourselves)

I hope it's not too cheeky of me to add this. Professionally I am an educator, and much of my work requires me to give feedback and I have run workshops to teach people to give and receive feedback. (warning, I have a "verbose" trait :lol: )

Here are some feedback tips, for both the receiver and giver.

1. As this forum was set up for feedback you will always get feedback that you might not like. I was once a chef, and the most horrible thing for me as an "artist" was when someone criticized my food. It can be very hard to take input or even creative feedback without feeling put down. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to take it personally. Even the most well meaning critic will say something really helpful that may hurt your feelings. And remember, the feedback is going to come from people with various tastes and styles and skill. Take it with a grain of salt as they say.

2. In general when you post a lot to showcase it you will only get "this is fantastic" comments. Great if that is what you want, but to improve you will want real feedback. This is going to be a fantastic place for real feedback. But if you are not prepared to take the bad with the good, this may not be the right place for you to post.

3. When posting your lot for feedback you will have things about it that you LOVE even if others don't. Why not try to ask for the feedback that you are looking for i.e. I love my lot, but the roof just isn't working for me. Suggestions? OR I am really not great at landscaping, what would you suggest to brighten up the curb appeal. This way you get the feedback you are looking for.

For people providing advice or feedback:
    4. Don't forget to step back out of your personal tastes and see the item for what it is, which may be different from your own preferences, but may be exactly what the builder loves. For example.. me critiquing a Victorian style home

a) I could say it's too "victorian" I think you should make it more modern.
    or
    b) I am not a fan of victorian personally, so I might not upload this lot. However, what I do see is a very interesting roof and I love how the windows and door create a sense of balance. The chimney does not seem to be the right colour, perhaps darkening it or adding a new brick texture...

5. If the work is not your preferred style, take a step back and look at it for the design elements such as balance of textures and colours, interesting features rather than saying "it's too stark and harsh looking, you should add more flowers or perhaps some more rounded windows" when in fact the build was meant to look that way.

6. ask yourself what the function was intended to be (i.e. if it is a trailer home and someone tells me it's too square I would be thinking.. ya, it's supposed to be square dummy :shock: )

7. finally, use wording that is less likely to come off offensively. We are a community of often sensitive people. I truely believe that sometimes harsh sounding feedback is NOT meant harsly. Words are powerful things.
    a) you need to change that chiminey, it's horrible, it doesn't match
    b) I'm not sure if you feel the same, but the chiminey seems to stick out rather than blend in. You might consider changing the brick colour?

Don't be afraid of defending yourself, but that does not have to mean getting "defensive"
    " I know that it looks a little bit like a children's book home, but that is actually what I was going for."

Just remember, no one here is criticizing you with any intention of being mean. Feedback is a very challenging thing for both the giver and receiver.
    [img][/img] Visit Simaginarium
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited November 2009
    Minraed....very sage advice indeed. Most of us creators know exactly how much time and effort and...thought and care...we put into our builds and we tend to shy away from even the most constructive of criticism. I am one of those...I tend to only focus on the positive because I do not want to ruffle any feathers or hurt feelings...until someone recently pointed out to me that if someone actually asks for feedback, you should. Still a bit uncomfortable with the idea...and XOX you are my guinea pig. :D

And yet...a well meaning observation can really help. For myself, when I was building in Sims2, someone told me once "your builds are too blocky and the landscaping sucks" which was true but it also stung a bit. However, it was something I worked on and gradually improved over time. If everyone had just said "nice house" I may have never tried to improve what I was doing.
    edited November 2009
    Minraed wrote:
    Thanks for the link to my site too M&M. Even though my site is photography/machinima based we all play the game and we all LOVE builds (even if we can't build em ourselves)

I hope it's not too cheeky of me to add this. Professionally I am an educator, and much of my work requires me to give feedback and I have run workshops to teach people to give and receive feedback. (warning, I have a "verbose" trait :lol: )

1. As this forum was set up for feedback you will always get feedback that you might not like. I was once a chef, and the most horrible thing for me as an "artist" was when someone criticized my food. It can be very hard to take input or even creative feedback without feeling put down. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to take it personally. Even the most well meaning critic will say something really helpful that may hurt your feelings. And remember, the feedback is going to come from people with various tastes and styles and skill. Take it with a grain of salt as they say.

2. In general when you post a lot to showcase it you will only get "this is fantastic" comments. Great if that is what you want, but to improve you will want real feedback. This is going to be a fantastic place for real feedback. But if you are not prepared to take the bad with the good, this may not be the right place for you to post.

3. When posting your lot for feedback you will have things about it that you LOVE even if others don't. Why not try to ask for the feedback that you are looking for i.e. I love my lot, but the roof just isn't working for me. Suggestions? OR I am really not great at landscaping, what would you suggest to brighten up the curb appeal. This way you get the feedback you are looking for.

4. Don't forget to step back out of your personal tastes and see the item for what it is, which may be different from your own preferences, but may be exactly what the builder loves. For example.. me critiquing a Victorian style home

or
    b) I am not a fan of victorian personally, so I might not upload this lot. However, what I do see is a very interesting roof and I love how the windows and door create a sense of balance. The chimney does not seem to be the right colour, perhaps darkening it or adding a new brick texture...

5. If the work is not your preferred style, take a step back and look at it for the design elements such as balance of textures and colours, interesting features rather than saying "it's too stark and harsh looking, you should add more flowers or perhaps some more rounded windows" when in fact the build was meant to look that way.

6. ask yourself what the function was intended to be (i.e. if it is a trailer home and someone tells me it's too square I would be thinking.. ya, it's supposed to be square dummy :shock: )

7. finally, use wording that is less likely to come off offensively. We are a community of often sensitive people. I truely believe that sometimes harsh sounding feedback is NOT meant harsly. Words are powerful things.
    b) I'm not sure if you feel the same, but the chiminey seems to stick out rather than blend in. You might consider changing the brick colour?

Don't be afraid of defending yourself, but that does not have to mean getting "defensive"
    " I know that it looks a little bit like a children's book home, but that is actually what I was going for."

Just remember, no one here is criticizing you with any intention of being mean. Feedback is a very challenging thing for both the giver and receiver.

Ty very much for this!

As our thread says on Page 1 post1, Come join us and let's learn together.
    I've just been taught a valuable lesson thru your wise words.
    So I thank you again.

The Link to u'r site is a pleasure.

thank you.
    edited November 2009
    Minraed....very sage advice indeed. Most of us creators know exactly how much time and effort and...thought and care...we put into our builds and we tend to shy away from even the most constructive of criticism. I am one of those...I tend to only focus on the positive because I do not want to ruffle any feathers or hurt feelings...until someone recently pointed out to me that if someone actually asks for feedback, you should. Still a bit uncomfortable with the idea...and XOX you are my guinea pig. :D

And yet...a well meaning observation can really help. For myself, when I was building in Sims2, someone told me once "your builds are too blocky and the landscaping sucks" which was true but it also stung a bit. However, it was something I worked on and gradually improved over time. If everyone had just said "nice house" I may have never tried to improve what I was doing.

Valuable words spoken.

I started Building in TS2, but never had the guts to put my creations on the site: I really do not like critisism. :-)

In June or beginning of July this year with TS3, I decided that: 1) If I ever want to better myself as a builder/creater I will have to swallow my pride and take the good with the bad.
    2) Decide for myself which of the Praises and or Not Praising comments I will use.
    I was really 'not praised' for a while and felt that I will never succeed as a builder/creater if my creations have soooo many faults and flaws.
    I had a choice to make! Leave and build for myself and avoid the not so nice comments OR Stay and take it full on the chin.
    6'2" and weighing a good 245 pounds, I don't and have never taken it on the chin! :)
    Alas came my decision; Stay, take it on the chin and fall. Get up and try again!
    Four months later my chin is really hurting but my pride far succeeds the pain, in what I've accomplished in the past 4 months.

A wise man once said: it doesn't matter how many times you fall! What matters is How many times you can stand up and how strong you stand up.

SO: in short i am just as much a learner as all of us here and will take the good with the bad.

Thank you
  • PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the thread, I bookmarked it for future use. I never really thought I was much of a builder myself, there are still some of the higher level cheats I can't get down, but I do enjoy building and decorating a house. I think we all get in a slump once in a while and need some creative input from others when it comes to building. So thanks again. :wink:
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited November 2009
    ruthless_kk: Thanks for you comments and welcome. We appreciate your comments and hope you enjoy helping.

lkada: Thank you as well. I have added eplans.com to our list.

XOX1: I've downloaded your lot and I'll play test it and get back to you as soon as possible. Love the idea. I'm always looking for places to steal the harvest.

MerryWiddow

edited November 2009
    magician1 wrote:

Welcome and thank you for sharing your house with us.

I've downloaded your house and will go and play it. Comments will follow after that.

Thank you

I have played your house and have the following comments: (It may seem like a lot but it is small things)
    I see a lot of potential in u'r build and style. I think u will become a very good if not great builder.

But: The Pond needs Terrain paint, sand/rock/dark soil, as well as the flower beds,
    Lights would've been nice at both outer doors on the outside,
    Dustbin placement, (simple as it sounds) does play a role in the downloading of lots,hide it around a corner or make a little recess/alcove for it.
    The Study: there's a light in the doorway on the outside and the computer on the left is not usable.
    The nursery: The Green cot pattern looks a bit out of sync with the rest of the room.
    Main Br: The curtains are facing the wrong way and the 2 Glass single doors leading to the gym and kitchen's side ???? I think it is not a bedroom feature to have a glass door leading out of your bedroom into the house.
    Main Bathroom: Just needs a loose rug a plant or 2 and maybe even a portrait.
    Roof: When u'r roof tiles are not in sight, I see a lot of different color paints in the Triangle walls of the roof. Just check this after you've put your roofs up.
    Spot lights in garden could maybe be moved to be on the little fence you've got on the Pathway.

General: A very nice layout, good furniture placement overall, nice landscaping (Floral) and a rec from me.
    BTW: I think for only u'r 3 rd house you did a great job. Just pay a little attention to detail and you will be a great builder sooner rather than later.

I hope you take this advice as advice and not something negative.

Thank you
    edited November 2009
    Architektin: Thanks hope you can join us too. We would love to have your input on this thread.

BurnimaPlayer: Welcome, and we look forward to your posting your creations. I hope the tutorials Magician1 posted are helpful. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Minraed: Thanks Min for the support.

Mmyoko: You're comments are always welcome. Pop in whenever you like.

MerryWiddow
    edited November 2009
    yanti68 wrote:
    Hi there MerryWiddow!
    Here is one of my recent builds! I am interested to hear what you have to say about it! Here is the link to the thread where the lot was originally posted:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/120991.page

Hi Yanti. Welcome. You have a very good promotional thread going there. The only suggestion I would have about the pictures, is to try and get more of them at sim's eye level with one overall top down view of each floor for the floorplans. The pictures show the house from every angle and show you're strengths. I'm looking forward to play testing it. I will respond again when I've had a chance to take a closer look around.

MerryWiddow
    edited November 2009
    Jasnik82 wrote:

Bookmarking you.

Thank you and welcome Jasnik. Your comments would be welcome also. Thanks for the bookmark.

MerryWiddow
    edited November 2009

I've taken a look at your story and I'm going to refer you the the 3rd and 5th posts on this thread. The 3rd deals with changing you cover picture and the 5th addresses taking pictures for your promotion.

You will find that changing you cover picture will increase your downloads. It stands out more to potential 'buyers'. The pictures you used in your story, as you said, were not very good. However, you need to be very positive in your promotion. Think of youself as a salesperson. Practice taking pictures using the method in the 5th post on this thread. You will find you will get amazing pictures.

One other thing I would suggest is that you consider giving your creation a unique name. I've dl'd and rec'd and will get back to you again after I have play tested and taken a closer look.

MerryWiddow
    edited November 2009
    Minraed wrote:

or

Thank you Min for your comments. They are so perfectly in tune with our moto.

"Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots." Frank A. Clark

MerryWiddow
    edited November 2009
    Pallypoo wrote:
    Thanks for the thread, I bookmarked it for future use. I never really thought I was much of a builder myself, there are still some of the higher level cheats I can't get down, but I do enjoy building and decorating a house. I think we all get in a slump once in a while and need some creative input from others when it comes to building. So thanks again. :wink:

Glad you could join us Pallypoo. Hope to see you back again soon.

MerryWiddow
  • judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited November 2009
    Wow, this is a great thread for beginners like me! I was directed over by a post Jasnik made in our other thread and I have to say it has been well worth the visit! I've bookmarked it and will be back later. I am basically a novice builder, creating through trial and error! I think I'm at the point now though where I could use more constructive criticism on my builds because I know it's all part of the learning process!
    edited November 2009
    Wow, this is a great thread for beginners like me! I was directed over by a post Jasnik made in our other thread and I have to say it has been well worth the visit! I've bookmarked it and will be back later. I am basically a novice builder, creating through trial and error! I think I'm at the point now though where I could use more constructive criticism on my builds because I know it's all part of the learning process!

Welcome judywork1957. We look forward to your return. And, thanks Jasnik for the referral.

MerryWiddow
    edited November 2009
    Pallypoo wrote:

A hearty welcome from me too.

Yhank you
    edited November 2009

A hearty welcome to u and a thank you to Jasnik.
    edited November 2009
    Hi XOX1.

I started by visiting your lot in build mode. I like the way you have blended the landscaping in with the existing. Usually when I do landscaping I also use terrain paint to add to the illusion of a real garden like adding a little mulch to keep the roots moist. This would hold true also for the left and right gardens.

I do wish chimney's could be recoloured, but until that happens, we are either stuck with what the game gives us or becoming a little creative. I have seen some remove the chimney entirely with the moveObjects cheat, although I'm not one for doing this myself. I sometimes create a 'room' around the chimney and paint it to match the house. In this case the rock that is on the bottom of the exterior walls. A suggestion you might want to experiment with for future builds.

The interior layout is very pleasing to the eye. It flows nicely. I do find the theme a little overpowering. I know you were trying for the theme in this case, but just changing the rugs only to a complmentary solid colour or geometric pattern would have been all that was necessary to still achieve the theme you were going for without the overpowering effect.

My sim went for a vist to this lovely 'Art Gallery'. Are you aware that is shows as a gallery in game? He spent the night there and met a few sims. The lot is very playable. Great for the sim who has nothing. He could set up housekeeping and never have to pay bills and make money as well with the harvest.

A couple of things I did notice. You didn't put in a ceiling and I couldn't find a fire alarm.

I think it would be an excellent idea to reload this lot as "Recurve Revisited". Now that you know how to change the cover picture, that too will increase your downloads. One thing I would suggest is a little shameless self-promotion. Doing a story and starting a thread to promote the lot would also increase your presence and get you some more feedback. I hope you take this as intended; to nurture your creativity.

MerryWiddow
  • happyone2009happyone2009 Posts: 3,350 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Magician1, Thank you so much for the feedback. :) Its just those little things that you don't think about and then when someone mentions it you'll always check and make sure you have them. I can't believe I've never even put lights outside by the doors on any of the houses I built. I guess its just something that never crossed my mind but I'll definitly make sure I have them now. :) You must not have the set I have for the nursery (that animals set) because im pretty sure it was a pink crib not green lol. Thanks again for the advice, I don't think any of it was negative. :wink: It will all help me with my future builds.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top