Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Robotic sims? I say 'subtle' share your images!

I love seeing other peoples images of their sims. I know one of the complaints is that TS3 sims can be robotic, however I like so say that they are subtle in their expressions (realistically so).

The 'I've got something up my sleeve'
24831259959_d8b1dfc70f_o.jpg

The 'I'm sexy and I know it' (Oscar Ingburg from Aurora Skies)
26183207852_891f96657c_o.jpg

The 'I hate that you brought me out when I didn't want to party' look
24109029974_636da5810c_o.jpg

The 'I also hate that you dressed me up and made me come to dystopian future like this' look
24664728071_96c93bfe0a_o.jpg

The 'Why did you make me keep this?' look
24417172789_f3911472e9_o.jpg

The 'That's right, he's all mine' look
24812226386_e2f1b6ec3c_o.jpg

The 'I saw you chatting up that girl and you're going to get it"
24803970882_95757ce953_o.jpg

Enough from me!! These are all gameplay 'looks'.
Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
Studio

Comments

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Subtle? no. I used to think so, but not anymore. Guess I never gave the game the time of day before.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/886661/soooo/p1

And there's this:
    Screenshot-91.jpg

It's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • thegummybear13thegummybear13 Posts: 310 Member
    The pictures are nice BUT show them in a video.They pause before alot of interactions and simply walking up the stairs. Also in cas they don't breathe they just stand there until an outfit is chosen.They are the most robotic in the whole franchise.

*Off topic but i couldn't stand the female voices in ts3 ugh i alway's turned my volume down
    tumblr_o2lz9mNWaj1sbr6who1_400.gif

• ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    burnfish_p_zpsuzkrwwpo.jpg

"No, No, don't burn, don't burn!"

sooty1_p_zpsryahtrcg.jpg

"One step closer and I'll bite your face off !"
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited May 2016
    The pictures are nice BUT show them in a video.They pause before alot of interactions and simply walking up the stairs. Also in cas they don't breathe they just stand there until an outfit is chosen.They are the most robotic in the whole franchise.

*Off topic but i couldn't stand the female voices in ts3 ugh i alway's turned my volume down

Sims in TS3 do breathe and move CAS. As with other animations, it's subtle. Sometimes when I was playing in CAS in TS4 I thought they moved too much and just wanted them to be still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW1lxUWeKAk

The fact that the animations are smoother in TS4 isn't surprising. The game is newer. They should be smoother. But, I still don't find TS3's sims "robotic" as people often claim they are. I'd say TS4's sims are actually a little too hammy for my taste. But, that's just me. :smile:

*OT, I've grown used to the voices. I have a favorite female voice and a favorite male voice though. I try not to use them too much. I use the grating ones when I think an irritating voice fits the character. LOL.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Anyway love all the pics.

Let's see what I can dig out of the old screenshot folder.

This is like my fav right now... the realization that he's about to get abducted, that flawless "oh plum no" look.
    Screenshot-1233.jpg

Oh this one too, "these girls talk too much. Save me. Please. Send help."
    Screenshot-1014.jpg

Clearly somebody just got bad news on the phone.
    Screenshot-532.jpg

"Are you serious? It can't be." (reaction to learning details of above phone call)
    Screenshot-510.jpg

And best of all "PPffftttt what are you talking about, sims 3 sims have no emotion? This debate bores me."
    Screenshot-743.jpg
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member

Yeah, you didn't really think you could drop this into the TS3 forum and not get responses, right? :D

Unless you're talking about trying to run it on an underpowered PC, which is a whole different issue, I still wouldn't call them "robotic". Sure, it would have been nice if their movements were a little more fluid and natural looking but I think they were going for more player control. I appreciate being able to give my sims commands and have them follow through with them. And quite often I have to put the game on pause to issue those commands because they're off to watch TV, read a book, or talk to the plants. So they're not all that wooden and robotic, either. Not as constantly active as in 2 and 4, but unlike the other games in the series they almost always do what you want them to, when you want them to do it.

In contrast, one of the last times I tried to play a household of 8 YAs in TS4 I just sat back and watched them. They chatted, they laughed, the skilled up, they cooked food. When I tried to issue commands, they often ignored them or had to finish some long series of tasks first, which was really annoying. In short those sims didn't need me at all and in exchange I really didn't care about them. If I just want to watch the antics of some goofy digital pixels I can always just tune into the Cartoon Network on the TV. :D

So unless this was due to technical issues, which is possible considering how many mistakes they keep making with this game, I think they just had a different focus on player control in TS3. A lot of us actually like it. ;)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    I never quite understand the "robotic" claim of how the sims 3 sims move, myself. I think all of their animations and such are pretty adorable. :)
  • Lucky25Lucky25 Posts: 544 Member
    I think TS3 Sims are full of emotion! I don't have many pictures right now but I did take this the other day ^_^

Right after he invited a guy to stay the night whom he'd only just met... "Not sure about the guy I've left upstairs... I mean, who starts playing guitar at 3am?! I just wanna sleep!"
    Screenshot-19_zpsuassq4nm.jpg
    ace46abf-17de-4ccb-b09d-2f869a1566dc_zpswzf3im24.jpg
  • MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    As others are saying, I honestly don't understand the 'Robotic' claim. My sims move smoothly and fluidly and @thegummybear13 I don't know why it matters to you whether or not they breathe in CAS (which they do). I would prefer less movement in CAS because I'm trying to build a person. Move around a bit during traits, clothing etc, but don't smile and move all the time as it's frustrating. Sims 4 emotions system makes them robotic, in my opinion. They don't react to their environment properly and they won't sit still for anything because multi-tasking is pushed so hard. So many of the photos I see of Sims 4 sims they seem to have the same very creepy smile on their faces.

Either way, I've played both games and I find the Sims in Sims 3 more 'emotive' in their expressions and my movements are fluid. I think the @thegummybear13 might be having a PC performance issue if his sims are stalling so frequently.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley
  • Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member
    I don't think sims 3 expressions are robotic, but I do find their movement more robotic then sims 4. I think when people talk about being robotic, they are talking about the movement of their bodies. Sims 4 sims move a little quicker and smoother I think. Less stiff.
    I used to love writing sim stories, I could totally feel my sims emotions with sims 3. I am still looking for that feeling in sims 4.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Lucky25 wrote: »
    I think TS3 Sims are full of emotion! I don't have many pictures right now but I did take this the other day ^_^

Right after he invited a guy to stay the night whom he'd only just met... "Not sure about the guy I've left upstairs... I mean, who starts playing guitar at 3am?! I just wanna sleep!"

Pshh. You don't invite a guy to spend the night to sleep. ;)

Here are a couple screenies from a kegger at Uni. Blair was helping Tino with a keg-stand and dropped him on the (hard stone paver covered) ground. Tino's unhappy. Blair is contrite. :D

aBGkrx9.jpg

k6ShCRR.jpg

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I liked the The 'Why did you make me keep this?' look :D

Their facial expressions are what I love about this game as well. It's funny to see a few neutral looks in the examples you all gave, because indeed they can show an emotion as well. As long as you create a good sim with an expression on their face in the first place. The 'idle empty' look is a 'I can't handle CAS' problem, not an animation or facial expression problem.

I think people who are bothered by that little pause before an animation have a point for themselves, I just know I genuinely never ever noticed. Which means it's not there in my game OR I just simply don't care and focus on the animations instead of everything surrounding it. I don't mind people are having different opinions about this, I do mind some people have this tendency to turn their personal pet peeve into something general and factual, sort of attacking people who simply don't care about this. Apparently getting totally irritated when something that's huge for you, turns out to be just minor for others. I don't like how sims in 2 automatically put their baby on the floor after feeding it. If others don't mind that's fine though. I hate how sims in 4 leave conversations, talk without facing each other and have to sit down first before they adress someone. If others don't care about that: fine. The animations in 4 are really smooth and fluent, but also look not human to me because it's all too cartoony. Nothing they do 'touches' me, where the pics in this topic do touch me, even when it involves other people's sims. Funny enough the quirky sims in 2 do look human to me and remind me of my sims in 3, not of the sims in 4.

I'll add pictures later, love this topic.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    @GabbyGirlJ I got the "sister" video to yours that shows the emotions of them in Sims2, Sims3, and Sims4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYkPzzFEMcg
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
    edited May 2016
    @5782341b77vl There seem to be a few Sims 3 emotions missing particularly the thumbs down and some of the sobs. Nice comparison video though, still admittedly don't like Sims 4 style and definitely don't find Sims 3 or 2 for that matter robotic. The art style for Sims 4 sims makes them all look like they've got that ridiculous smile on their face all the time. I think they do a better job of conveying most of the emotions in Sims 3 and 2. Another issue I had, immediately, with Sims 4 was the childish, cartoonish gameplay and art style. This kind of shows off in some of the emotions which are way over the top in many instances. What I'm noticing more than anything is that the voice 'actor' chosen for the Sims 3, particularly the ladies, wasn't great. Again, just my opinion, but I don't like a lot of the idle female sounds.

Sims 3 for me but only because 2 won't play on my Windows 7 system.
    Post edited by MiyuEmi on
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2016
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

Sims in TS3 do breathe and move CAS. As with other animations, it's subtle. Sometimes when I was playing in CAS in TS4 I thought they moved too much and just wanted them to be still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW1lxUWeKAk

The fact that the animations are smoother in TS4 isn't surprising. The game is newer. They should be smoother. But, I still don't find TS3's sims "robotic" as people often claim they are. I'd say TS4's sims are actually a little too hammy for my taste. But, that's just me. :smile:

*OT, I've grown used to the voices. I have a favorite female voice and a favorite male voice though. I try not to use them too much. I use the grating ones when I think an irritating voice fits the character. LOL.
    The 'no more body sliders' concerning Sims 4 is nonsense by the way. Of course there are sliders, you just handle them differently (by pullng and pushing on the sim instead of the slider). It's sliders though, I can feel its limitations when pushing and pulling, just like in the other two games. It's definitely not clay, the possibilities aren't infinite.
    (sorry for the off topic)
    5JZ57S6.png
    Okay, some images, some are old favourites of mine:

You got it baby, granted this one isn't very subtle!
    [img][/img]Screenshot-34.jpg

Getting a scare from death because he lost at rock, paper scissors
    [img][/img]109.jpg

Playing with your todder.
    [img][/img]113.jpg

Getting consolation from a deceased parent on the death of the other parent:
    [img][/img]155.jpg

Mourning a grandparent.
    [img][/img]162.jpg

Hi, my name is Holly.
    [img][/img]01.jpg

Having a blast.
    [img][/img]15.jpg

Snuggling your baby.
    [img][/img]173.jpg

You know you want it.
    [img][/img]73.jpg

I know that some of these are not entirely subtle, but I love them. Sims 3, as much as I complained about the bugs, is my favourite game in the series, but I'm allowed to be upset they never properly fixed a game I spent so much money on! Still wouldn't not play, sorry just don't like Sims 4.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
  • Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member
    @MiyuEmi Love the snuggling picture!
    @Kaantje Thanks! It's my legacy family and Holly (the mother) was a townie, believe it or not (considering they're often a bit questionable looking)!
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited May 2016

That's still not robotic. It's a pause in their animation,which only rarely happens in my game. Since I like to micro manage everything, my sims always have a chain of actions to do.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    These are for @CravenLestat - just pretend it's your sim instead of Bob. ;)

23860725904_c1e4eda363_c.jpg

23862111173_456a707057_c.jpg

24193376390_c0e5408f02_c.jpg
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited May 2016
    Great pix, everybody! I've trotted some of these out before, but here ya go...

"God, I hope my baby isn't like you, Mortimer."
    AgnesandMortimer.jpg

Gilberto: "I'll just sneak out with this adorable puppy. No one will notice." Puppy: "Help, help, I'm being dognapped!"
    Screenshot-29.jpg

"I feel pretty, oh so pretty!"
    Screenshot-51_zps7a0fbf09.jpg

Post edited by Stdlr9 on