Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims at risk? - Going Downhill or Uphill

Comments

• MysticOneMysticOne Posts: 460 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »
    I would say your main problem is in your first sentence of your post:
    I have been reading the forums, comments, tweets, pretty much anything and everyone seems to be very negative about the future of The Sims.

Don't take what goes on here on the forums as proof of anything.

@Gruffman I do not actually think The Sims is doing bad, I know it grew two-thirds, but I start wondering about the future, and wondering "what if". And I keep seeing so much negativity. But that is true.. There are people are just going to be negative and that doesn't mean anything about a franchise

Well it does mean *something*. Generally people aren't 'negative' for the sake of it-they often have articulated very clear reasons why they feel disappointed in the hope the situation will improve for how they enjoy the product.

I really dislike the assumption that feedback that isn't praise equals negativity.

People who didn't care about the game wouldn't bother. They would drop the game and be unconcerned about the future of the game. The passion this community (whether from those who like TS4 to those who don't and everyone in between!) shows towards The Sims means that it's important to a great many people. That should be appreciated and cherished. That sort of passion and commitment is very valuable and very difficult to recapture if it's lost.

I was just about to post the same. It is just another way for them to get their shots in. Thanks for posting as you did.
  • MysticOneMysticOne Posts: 460 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

Well it does mean *something*. Generally people aren't 'negative' for the sake of it-they often have articulated very clear reasons why they feel disappointed in the hope the situation will improve for how they enjoy the product.

I really dislike the assumption that feedback that isn't praise equals negativity.

People who didn't care about the game wouldn't bother. They would drop the game and be unconcerned about the future of the game. The passion this community (whether from those who like TS4 to those who don't and everyone in between!) shows towards The Sims means that it's important to a great many people. That should be appreciated and cherished. That sort of passion and commitment is very valuable and very difficult to recapture if it's lost.

the only problem is that every single reiteration of The Sims is so different that it attracted a completely different audience to each. And that audience does not necessarily like other games in the series.

Person A liked The sims 1 to 4
    Person B likes The Sims 2 only
    Person C likes The Sims 3 only
    Person D likes The Sims 1 to 3
    Person E likes The sims 4
    Person F likes The Sims 4 and The Sims 2

The problem arises when people B to D want to change The Sims 4 to something that they like, because they hate what it currently is. "Well how is that a problem?" you may say. It's a problem when what B to D dislikes is what E and F specifically like. So yes, B to D are very passionate in hating, but at the same time if B to D was listened to E and F will be sitting here hating. The Sims is such a broad franchise that it can't possibly satisfy everyone.

I see. That is actually very true. There are always going to be people that think the gameplay is not right for them but that does not mean that there is a problem.

Uh, actually it 'does' indicate just that.
  • blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited May 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »
    OP, I think (and probably wrong) that this PC game is the last of the PC games. You have to take into account your critical thinking of where the company is going as a whole (toward mobile for the most part) and where Maxis is now..they went mobile, too, when they merged with mobile or created Maxis mobile or whatever. I know what I mean but not explaining it very well. And that information is out here all over. I think TS4 is probably the last PC version.

doubt it. While freeplay is rocking high downloads I don't think that high downloads necessarily bring in high profit. EA is focused on developing more unique PC IPs too (Unravel anyone)? But lets say that you're right. They really do go full mobile. Well then that leaves a highly profitable gap. And it might just be left there for a long while (a decade even!), but at some point, someone will go "hey guys? Remember that gap? Yes, that one, right over there! How about we fill it?". It happens to every simulator out there. There was a time when microsoft controlled plane simulator market, that time is long gone now. City simulator market also felt disappointing until Cities: Skylines came about. Rollercoaster tycoon is getting competition finally.

So I suppose, my advice is, don't worry about the future too much. What happens, happens, but the genre in itself won't die or be forgotten.

EA closed down most of their free-to-play games because they were no longer making them enough money and only kept a handful running. One presumes the ones they kept turn a decent profit else they would have shut them down as well.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    It doesn't really matter if the sims 4 runs better than the sims 3, doesn't change the fact that a LOT of features are missing
    giphy_1.gif
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    The Sims 3 went through the exact same phrase during Late 2010 to Late 2011.

After Late Night, it there was barely anything happening, after 9 months we got an Expansion Pack about the size of a Game Pack, and it looked like EA were downgrading Sims 3 down to a much smaller level.

Suddenly Pets was announced and bam. Everything sped back up.

It's normal for a game to go through a quiet patch, that doesn't mean it's bad.

EA announced like two days ago, that The Sims 4 has grown two thirds in the last 12 months, and 12 months ago they said The Sims 4 was their biggest game.

It's very clear it's not going anywhere.

LOL

Memories, imaginary friends, reputarion system, chemestry, tons if family interactions, playground equipment, day care active career, prom, driving classes etc.

It's funny how, after TS4, the hive-mind has completely changed their view of TS3. Back on the TS3 Ideas & Feedback forum, there was a lot of criticism that was reminiscent of what is going on now in the forums, except for different reasons, but I digress.

I distinctly recall, because that was when I started to frequent TS3: Ideas & Feedback, TS3: Generations was constantly called a glorified stuff pack. And I still think that holds true. The pack itself felt very much like a modern day game pack. A lot of the content was not at all major, but just small bits of content spread out. I did like some of the content it added, but it was definitely worth half of what I paid, IMHO.

at that time i didn't think much about the lack of content rather the reverse, i was starting to feel overwhelmed with the amount
    the only vexing thing were the store prices & even that changed gradually & special deals & offers were introduced also
    the disc packs didn't feel that lightweight already because TS3's base game was way more solid in gameplay than TS4 & it was improved also gradually & the packs have built upon that solid base

TS3 has surely its problems but those include surely not lightweight of its packs & store content
    even the stuff packs, they contain so much

i think TS4's main problem is its weak base with too many limitations, cuts & fluff gameplay
    but i also think that additionally all of the packs contain less than TS3, which worsens the situation
    but in the face of still growing mobile microtransactional heaven maybe is that lightweight of packs a normal development
    what's surely not normal is the problems of the base game
    would the base game be strongly entertaining then i would be buying stuff for it, people would be discussing the prices mainly & threads like this wouldn't be present two years into the game's development

if the state of the game is any tendency, i am surely not one to be able to tell that
    only people deciding about the future of this franchise can

i don't think that EA will close TheSims franchise down
    i think they are already developing TS5, it's just the question if they get enough support from EA itself to make a way better game than TS3 & TS4 are
    if TS5 won't be a better game, then it can mean that the franchise indeed ends up like SimCity currently does

& unfortunately EA prefers currently to support with games like Battlefield & Battlefront the usual gamemarket which is literally flooded with a very wide range of competition
    TheSims has no direct competition & it is not supported enough by EA anymore, the change happened at least somewhere middle of TS3
    it is also probably because of lack of the direct competition in its current sad state
    where it all leads ?, who knows
    it can as well lead straight to competitional games, which would be not the worst development of things, i think EA just doesn't deserve this franchise, not anymore after where it landed with TS4

TS4 is not a good game
    people blinded by their personal preference may contradict
    but the atmosphere around good games feels very different

i am very curious how TS4 will make it in 4 years from now,
    while i still believe that TS3 didn't really develop all its potential, with some more new fresh skilled modders it can become quite a surprising game
    would EA be somewhat clever they would release a 64bit version, if they don't do that, then this will always be TS3's biggest limitation

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter if the sims 4 runs better than the sims 3, doesn't change the fact that a LOT of features are missing

how does it not matter? If a person can't run The Sims 3, but can run The sims 4, which one do you think they'll go for?
  • blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited May 2016

how does it not matter? If a person can't run The Sims 3, but can run The sims 4, which one do you think they'll go for?

My gaming computer that can run pretty much any game, does not run The Sims 3 well without mods and is unplayable if I play IP. I'd choose The Sims 3 with its stuttering any day over The Sims 4 because 3 has more features and depth and a complete base game. Traits actually allow you to create unique sims. Sims do not all use the same bathroom even though others are completely empty. The list goes on ...

It says something when posters can only find a way to praise The Sims 4 by criticising the predecessor. I can praise The Sims 3 without any mention of The Sims 2 or 1 because the game's merits stand on their own. I am also objective enough to criticise its flaws.
    edited May 2016
    My gaming computer that can run pretty much any game, does not run The Sims 3 well without mods and is unplayable if I play IP. I'd choose The Sims 3 with its stuttering any day over The Sims 4 because 3 has more features and depth and a complete base game. Traits actually allow you to create unique sims. Sims do not all use the same bathroom even though others are completely empty. The list goes on ...

It says something when posters can only find a way to praise The Sims 4 by criticising the predecessor. I can praise The Sims 3 without any mention of The Sims 2 or 1 because the game's merits stand on their own. I am also objective enough to criticise its flaws.

in that case:

- I love The Sims 4 because I can change the size of rooms and my house without rebuilding absolutely everything
    - I love The Sims 4 because building basements is so easy
    - I love The Sims 4 because you can choose to have a foundation on a whim and don't need to build the whole house on the fact you have a foundation or not
    - I love The Sims 4 because genetics work in a fun matter. The children always look like the combination between the two parents, but old buried family genes can in rare cases pop out. Every time I have a child I feel like I know who they relate to, but at the same time they look like a unique sim.
    - I love how aliens have unique interactions, disguises, get upset about being found and how other sims show prejudice towards them. It makes me feel like I'm actually playing with another race and not just a recolour.
    - I love how my sim children have a reaction to having more siblings. Depending on the child they can be mad, sad, or happy about the new member of the family!
    - I love how keeping my sims needs up is actually a challenge. Yay for no more sleepless 2 sim days in a row!
    - I love how bars have the weirdest themed days. Bear night, Knight night, Alien night, Ghost night. It makes me actually want to hang out in bars because I know that they will offer surprises to me.
    - I love the unlock system. I know that this is quite a controversial topic, but I am happy that my household gets rewarded for having each type of party at least once, for going on a very good date, for maxing the careers out... It lets me plan my legacy sims out (this generation will do this, this generation will do that) and watch the unlock of everything slowly over time.
    - I love how children have aspirations and skills that only children can have. It makes me feel like I'm playing an actual child and not a mini adult.
    - I love how all locations that I can visit are actual buildings and not rabbit holes. Spa Day building is most definitely the most in depth building in sims history so far.

I could go on and on and on... It's personal preference. And yes, even if The Sims 3 was perfectly lag free I would take The Sims 4 over it any day.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Open world IMHO was not the problem, I see it more as a problem with dev that did not tweak their game correctly. Heck you have people having problems with Sims 4 now and not everyone system is running Sims 4 alike. It is how your system is set up all major components must work with each other as one so some of the faults can be placed on those using systems that was not optimized. IP was not coded too tightly as there were routing problems.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited May 2016
    kremesch73 wrote: »

In this scenario, FPS dropping is a symptom; not a cause. It's not related to the size of the world. It's related to how the program handles it.

Lag and FPS behaving erratically is always a symptom and should never be viewed as a cause. The cause is always in the programming or specs not meeting the requirements.

@sparkfairy1 it's always a pleasure to hear from you. I probably wouldn't have even viewed this thread if it weren't for you mentioning me to begin with. I appreciate it.

I just don't feel like anything I have to say makes any difference these days. I feel I'm too old school and my expectations are too high for today's crowd. I commend you for what you do.

you seem to be under the opinion that if you write clean code, no lag will appear no matter how big the game world is. Unfortunately this is not true.
    And lag on The Sims 3 would happen to me on systems way over the requirement to run it. Once again, different systems will handle the same program differently and just how much you can fix of this depends on how much resources you have to test it on the weirdest of combinations of hardware and software.
    You may have had problems but there are others that had few but it still ran, you also had others that had 0 problems. My systems had no problem running Sims 3 outside of IP, I did have routing problems with IP and that was a dev problem and not the systems. Yes, there are many Windows systems in which there are many configurations and EA/Maxis may not see a problem if there are systems that the program may run w/o problems.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen

They may go for Sims 4 but some may want Sims 4, but they want a Sims 4 with some substance not just because it can run.

• DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited May 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @mirta000 Lag I even never had (I'm not a CC person so I guess that's what always has saved me from that). I wonder if you maybe confuse lag and freezing; freezing I did have, before I bought a suitable computer for the game and some of the worlds (three to be precisely) are known for causing problems. So no sir, luck doesn't have anything to do with it ;) I think they are perfectly capable of delivering this game with a well functioning open world because most of the worlds are like that for me (let me count..., that means 20 worlds without issues). The proof for me is that a modder managed to turn an unplayable, borked world (Bridgeport) that wouldn't save anymore after about 15 simdays, into a completely flawless experience. Which means that it is possible. I go for possibilities, not for doom-mongering.

freezing I experienced too, but I mean genuine lag. 30-20FPS is really low for me.
    Sorry, I don't know what that is :mrgreen:
    So I googled.

And now I still don't know, nor do I see much of a difference (but I'm watching this on a wonky iPad). Isn't lag the phenomenon that time continues while your sim is just standing there doing nothing, trapped in some command you gave him which he will perform 30 sim minutes later? Also, does fps have a connection with open world?

I'm not somebody who really notices this significant difference between 30FPS and 60FPS either so you're not alone there :)

With my TS3 I had to limit the "FPS" due to the game not having a VSync capability - I was getting insanely high FPS readings and from what I heard that was bad for my hardware so I limited it. Heck the only reason I even thought to check was because a fair few people on the forums had been talking about it and, at the time, my graphics card etc were all quite new.

I still got lag anyway ha ha (though I personally define lag as the game visibly stuttering - I.E. I could send a sim out in Bridgeport and as they were travelling around the game would stutter horribly, textures refused to load in etc etc. Bridgeport had no problems but I had lag outside of that world too). TS3 always seemed to be one of those games that ran like an absolute dream for some and like plum for others. I put it down to just poor coding / hardware optimization.
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

They may go for Sims 4 but some may want Sims 4, but they want a Sims 4 with some substance not just because it can run.

it's not like it's a game without substance

in that case:

- I love The Sims 4 because I can change the size of rooms and my house without rebuilding absolutely everything
    - I love The Sims 4 because building basements is so easy
    - I love The Sims 4 because you can choose to have a foundation on a whim and don't need to build the whole house on the fact you have a foundation or not
    - I love The Sims 4 because genetics work in a fun matter. The children always look like the combination between the two parents, but old buried family genes can in rare cases pop out. Every time I have a child I feel like I know who they relate to, but at the same time they look like a unique sim.
    - I love how aliens have unique interactions, disguises, get upset about being found and how other sims show prejudice towards them. It makes me feel like I'm actually playing with another race and not just a recolour.
    - I love how my sim children have a reaction to having more siblings. Depending on the child they can be mad, sad, or happy about the new member of the family!
    - I love how keeping my sims needs up is actually a challenge. Yay for no more sleepless 2 sim days in a row!
    - I love how bars have the weirdest themed days. Bear night, Knight night, Alien night, Ghost night. It makes me actually want to hang out in bars because I know that they will offer surprises to me.
    - I love the unlock system. I know that this is quite a controversial topic, but I am happy that my household gets rewarded for having each type of party at least once, for going on a very good date, for maxing the careers out... It lets me plan my legacy sims out (this generation will do this, this generation will do that) and watch the unlock of everything slowly over time.
    - I love how children have aspirations and skills that only children can have. It makes me feel like I'm playing an actual child and not a mini adult.
    - I love how all locations that I can visit are actual buildings and not rabbit holes. Spa Day building is most definitely the most in depth building in sims history so far.

I could go on and on and on... It's personal preference. And yes, even if The Sims 3 was perfectly lag free I would take The Sims 4 over it any day.

it's just that the substance might not be enough for them, or might not be in the right variety.
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    If they keep going in this same direction then it is doomed for me.

For one, they're targeting a younger audience this time. Also there's very little content and slow news. And I don't like the art style.

I'm waiting for The Sims 5.
  • boguczed1boguczed1 Posts: 170 Member
    I think it is sturdy, but not going uphill. The positive is the large community, and more people enjoy the series than dislike it. The issue that I think is hurting the community is the lack of communication from the Devs and release dates are never announced more then a couple weeks in advance.

I remember with The Sims 2 and most of The Sims 3, we'd get information on expansions and stuff packs usually months in advance. One other issue with this iteration is the lack of high quality content packs. Too many stuff packs, high lack of expansion packs. The Gamepacks are the current best additions. Get to Work was a good expansion, Get Together was an aesthetically beautiful expansion, but in my opinion, lacking in new content. Get Together, though I liked the look of it was more of the same "partying and hanging out" gameplay. This is supposed to be The Sims, not EA Party Simulator.

This is the one item I really am not a fan of, ignoring most family and generational play to focus on building, CAS, and mostly the Young Adult age group, Children, Teens, and Elders are ignored. I feel they designed it this way because the younger individuals that started playing The Sims late in The Sims 3 only cared about building houses and creating "Barbie Doll" girls and "Ken Doll" men for YouTube or Twitch "fame." If I wanted to focus on building houses I would be playing an architectural design simulator.

The Sims has started to lose heart because of video-sharing sites...
  • VkittyVkitty Posts: 40 Member
    I'm sick to death of people saying how TS4 sucks because how great TS3 was and vice-versa. They are different games, just because it's a sequel does not mean it has to be the same, it can be a different take on the same concept ie life simulator.
    Do I think it's perfect? No not at all, but neither is TS3 and by calling TS4 a bad game is being blinded by you own personal preference as a lot of people seem to enjoy it.

Honestly I remember the forums when TS3 was, people complained and were frustrated then too:
    Why there were no getting in the car animations
    Why were the babies wrapped in blankets
    Why couldn't we give babies and toddlers baths
    Not to mention a lot of people didn't like how the sims themselves looked and all the other issues that were already mentioned
    The point is in everything some people are going to like it some will not, doesn't make either of them wrong.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2016
    Welshy wrote: »
    Personally I don't see why some people on here try and purposely keep a bad game alive in hopes that "ts5 could be better" if a game was great but has gone downhill then it deserves to end imo, I'm an avid sims fan, I have almost every expansion pack and basically spent my teens playing the sims (like all us cool kids do ofc) but ea HAVE the funds to keep making a game great, like they have the advertising power to do so as well and if they were really that interested in ts4 being great then they would've done it but seems to me they're pumping their money into games that have less issues

I think the sims franchise went downhill in over promising in ts3 and under delivering (like with spore) I loved the feel and look of ts3 but the game breaking bugs they never fixed just makes it totally useless, something can look perfect but if it doesn't work it might as well be thrown away, I'm not saying ts4 is that bad, they've done a great job with the stabilisation of the game (currently I haven't had any game breaking bugs) though there are a lot of bugs still left over that seem to still be around but from my p.o.v they seem more interested in pumping out more games than fixing the bugs in the existing ones, they're minor bugs but the detail is in the small aspects that make the final product look better, I've only ever had major bugs with the sims franchise, I've never had to deal with major bugs from any othe game, especially nothing major.

I loved the franchise, but a franchise that doesn't shape up and listen to the people paying gets shut down, that's just fact and as much of a loyal fan I am to the series, I def won't purchase anymore until the existing things are fixed, I'd rather see a franchise that's just taking the mic. End than "hope it's next series will get better" which seems to be some peoples logic in just putting up with it
    What bugs are you referring to? I can think of one: the under water cave. That one fits your description. But I'm not going to throw away a game because one feature of one EP (though totally disgraceful it is like that) doesn't work properly.
    So I googled.

And now I still don't know, nor do I see much of a difference (but I'm watching this on a wonky iPad). Isn't lag the phenomenon that time continues while your sim is just standing there doing nothing, trapped in some command you gave him which he will perform 30 sim minutes later? Also, does fps have a connection with open world?

it is uncomfortable to look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLhPvS0hZSs

put this video at 720p (HD, else youtube won't show the video in 60 FPS). Look at the comparisons. When you're used to 60+ FPS gaming, 30 FPS feels very uncomfortable. When the framerate dips below 30 the stutter just feels so bad. And yes, frames per second are lower the worse the game runs. And how does it connect to the open world? Well the open world is much harder for a game to run than a closed one. The smaller the level the easier it is to run it. If you have big levels in games, you normally "cheat" the render by going "do not load this part of the map if the player is not looking" or "add fog effects to hide the view distance", etc.
    So Sims 2 was 60+? Or... how is this related to open world? Is GTA 60 FPS? Skyrim?

You know, the point is, my son was completely over the moon about a zoo he built in one of his games and offered me a guided tour. This is how his zoo looked:

zoocrafting_002.jpg

This is what I saw:

blokken-new-classic-toys-zoo-50-stuks-18x18x18-cm-1384.jpg

This is what he saw:

r0-d1-750-360-49b-Blijdorp_Leeuw_Frans_de_Wit.jpeg

ETA: I totally went with his perception of course.

5JZ57S6.png
    edited May 2016
    So Sims 2 was 60+? Or... how is this related to open world? Is GTA 60 FPS? Skyrim?

yes to all, except to GTA. GTA is known for very bad PC ports and GTA IV runs atrociously bad. GTA V is miles better as a port.
    That being said, I literally can not play something at 20-30 FPS, not only is it jittery, but it strains my eyes and gives me headaches. Bad performance is really big issue for me when it comes to selecting what games to play. Some might say "build a better rig!", but The Sims 3 is very unpredictable when it comes to running it consistently well, so I could upgrade everything and suddenly be unable to run it at all.

Also take note that Skyrim, GTA, etc open world is less taxing, because instead of needing to generate AI paths, populate where you go, have story progression, all AI has is pre-determined paths. A shopkeeper is always in his shop and when you need to populate the outside world, you simply create an NPC that drives in circles, or one that walks back and forth on a pre-determined route. It is not like this in sims.
    You know, the point is, my son was completely over the moon about a zoo he built in one of his games and offered me a guided tour. This is how his zoo looked:

graphical quality, of course can influence FPS, but it is not the same as FPS. FPS is how well the game runs.
    edited May 2016
    EDIT EDIT: somehow double posted. Sorry! >_<

EDIT: also when it comes to The Sims 3 bugs, another that was never fixed was World Adventures board bug. Sometimes the adventure board will stop giving you quests, making you unable to complete them. You solve it, by selling the board, then buying it back again, getting out of the world adventure, waiting 2 sim days and going there again. Fix does not 100% work and if you don't do it, then it's bugged for good on your save file.
  • SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member

In my opinion there isn't "a lot" of features missing at all. It's just a different game with a different approach.
    I always get a bit confused when people say this, because I don't fully understand what they refer to with "features". Is it the cars and toddlers, or the open world and CaSt? Certain features aren't excluded forever, whereas others are. For me, it's obvious that when a game advances in all aspects, the basic groundwork will take longer to develop. Because of that not all previous base game features are going to make it if they strive to keep a similar development schedule. It is kind of a forgivable side effect when making advances with the really basic, but essential, features.

Obviously this is my opinion, but I don't think the open world was that great, not compared to the restrictions it brought with it. It did provide a different playstyle completely to the Sims, but because the open world we didn't have an expanding world anymore like in sims 2. In that way the open world as a feature, also removed features from the previous game, and that's just how it works sometimes.
    It's not necessarily a bad thing either. I find it far more interesting when each game provides us with something new.

Don't forget TS4 has plenty of features of it's own that weren't present in previous games. These features are never even thought about when complaining about the missing features, and they should be. Some features we have in TS4 are only possible because of the changes that were made. Does that make them bad? No. Does that make them different? Yes. Does that make them better? Depends on personal opinion. No matter what way you look at it, all iterations have missing features compared to each other, they all have!
    I think it's time to stop complaining about "missing features", because if it was truly a feature of TS4, it should have been there to begin with.
    The only thing "missing features" could possibly stand for now is missing content, and there is loads, that's a given, because this iteration is not complete yet.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2016
    Slawfish wrote: »

In my opinion there isn't "a lot" of features missing at all. It's just a different game with a different approach.
    I always get a bit confused when people say this, because I don't fully understand what they refer to with "features". Is it the cars and toddlers, or the open world and CaSt? Certain features aren't excluded forever, whereas others are. For me, it's obvious that when a game advances in all aspects, the basic groundwork will take longer to develop. Because of that not all previous base game features are going to make it if they strive to keep a similar development schedule. It is kind of a forgivable side effect when making advances with the really basic, but essential, features.

Obviously this is my opinion, but I don't think the open world was that great, not compared to the restrictions it brought with it. It did provide a different playstyle completely to the Sims, but because the open world we didn't have an expanding world anymore like in sims 2. In that way the open world as a feature, also removed features from the previous game, and that's just how it works sometimes.
    It's not necessarily a bad thing either. I find it far more interesting when each game provides us with something new.

Don't forget TS4 has plenty of features of it's own that weren't present in previous games. These features are never even thought about when complaining about the missing features, and they should be. Some features we have in TS4 are only possible because of the changes that were made. Does that make them bad? No. Does that make them different? Yes. Does that make them better? Depends on personal opinion. No matter what way you look at it, all iterations have missing features compared to each other, they all have!
    I think it's time to stop complaining about "missing features", because if it was truly a feature of TS4, it should have been there to begin with.
    The only thing "missing features" could possibly stand for now is missing content, and there is loads, that's a given, because this iteration is not complete yet.
    Basically this list sums it up: http://ts4news.com/post/94541924952/77-features-missing-from-the-sims-4

I think what bothers me the most was how poorly life stages were handled, the missing NPCs, lack of normal careers, terrain and pond tools, how supernaturals don't matter anymore, many forms of culling, musical chairs, and how restrictive both gameplay and the neighborhoods are. I do like how there are instruments in the base game. I guess it is a type of thing that varies from Simmer to Simmer. I don't think the Sims 4 was designed well for expansion personally. I mean nice there are new packs, but when someone runs out of space, it makes the packs feel worthless not having enough room for them. There is a lot of useless clutter and big versions of objects. I think Simmers want gameplay and useful compact objects.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SummerskydreamerSummerskydreamer Posts: 1,681 Member
    Going down hill very fast.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    @mirta000 Lag I even never had (I'm not a CC person so I guess that's what always has saved me from that). I wonder if you maybe confuse lag and freezing; freezing I did have, before I bought a suitable computer for the game and some of the worlds (three to be precisely) are known for causing problems. So no sir, luck doesn't have anything to do with it ;) I think they are perfectly capable of delivering this game with a well functioning open world because most of the worlds are like that for me (let me count..., that means 20 worlds without issues). The proof for me is that a modder managed to turn an unplayable, borked world (Bridgeport) that wouldn't save anymore after about 15 simdays, into a completely flawless experience. Which means that it is possible. I go for possibilities, not for doom-mongering.

freezing I experienced too, but I mean genuine lag. 30-20FPS is really low for me.
    So I googled.

I'm not somebody who really notices this significant difference between 30FPS and 60FPS either so you're not alone there :)

With my TS3 I had to limit the "FPS" due to the game not having a VSync capability - I was getting insanely high FPS readings and from what I heard that was bad for my hardware so I limited it. Heck the only reason I even thought to check was because a fair few people on the forums had been talking about it and, at the time, my graphics card etc were all quite new.

I still got lag anyway ha ha (though I personally define lag as the game visibly stuttering - I.E. I could send a sim out in Bridgeport and as they were travelling around the game would stutter horribly, textures refused to load in etc etc. Bridgeport had no problems but I had lag outside of that world too). TS3 always seemed to be one of those games that ran like an absolute dream for some and like plum for others. I put it down to just poor coding / hardware optimization.
    (sorry, missed this post)
    Yes, I remember travelling on the first computer I played the game on being horrible. And that was with just the basegame and maybe one or two EP's. When I bought a new computer I just told the guy from the store it had to run Sims 3 the best way possible. It's a renowned store, people go there from miles around, so I guess they just do a good job. Really content with my current computer as well (purchase requisition this time being "It has to run Sims 3 as well as Sims 4, because the other one has trouble with 4").
    5JZ57S6.png
    Scobre wrote: »
    how supernaturals don't matter anymore

???
    We have the most in-depth aliens we ever had. I mean, I understand that it's a bummer that Get Together didn't have a supernatural, but I wouldn't say that they don't matter :/
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    how supernaturals don't matter anymore

???
    We have the most in-depth aliens we ever had. I mean, I understand that it's a bummer that Get Together didn't have a supernatural, but I wouldn't say that they don't matter :/
    Yeah it was referring to the comment that life states aren't meant to be a tradition to EPs anymore. Made it feel like life states don't matter to Maxis anymore. Plus all the "I hate Supernaturals" comments makes me really worried, we won't get a lot for this iteration. I mean we are heading into year two and only have aliens and ghosts so far, both that were in the base game of the Sims 2. I guess I just expected more than that by now. At this rate, there will only be one life state per year, meaning we will only get 6 life states total, which won't be enough for me.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller