Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please, for the love of Pete

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Miki wrote: »
    @Cinebar Thanks for that. I agree with you.

Speaking only for myself, I bought the game and intend to use it, but it is intolerable in its vanilla form, I use the mods.. also because of the rich history of "feedback" about the glitches that they multiply with each "fix" -- not even being responded to in an official or convincing manner.. I am honestly convinced that they won't fix anything. Nothing effective has been done about eternal eating, life-long gardening and relationship fade-out-- and they have been aware of these for quite some time.

Instead we get easter eggs, growfruit, and a clown.

I acknowledge the apparent good intentions of putting these things in for the players but the silence regarding things that need to be fixed is deafening.

Might be a coincidence but there has been a spate of "please fix this" feedback and GD talk -- and here's the "coincidence" part, Sim Guru Drake posted an exhaustive play-by-play of all the things they added to the game, some paid content, others by way of free patch content.

Like I said I am just talking of my impression, the timing of this 'table of contents" is a bit convenient and it reinforces my belief that the glitches are not a priority.

So for me, at least, I have MC Command Center. It makes the game enjoyable enough for me in the time between when I bought it and the time my interest in or involvement with Real Life -- pushes fun, games, and gaming to the "yesteryear" closet.

Giving a list of what has been added and sold is like telling people in a ditch who requested a tow, here eat some cake.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    @Cinebar Yeah I agree with you on that. As much as I love mods, as with the Sims 3, I am tired of modders having to fix the issues the base game has. Maxis should be able to do it themselves. I am really worried about the musical chair glitch especially with the upcoming game pack.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    I am honestly convinced that they won't fix anything. Nothing effective has been done about eternal eating, life-long gardening and relationship fade-out-- and they have been aware of these for quite some time.

This. I honestly don't think they'll ever fix culling and all the other major problems that I've read about since launch. It's like, "La la la, I can't HEAR you.... how about a tragic clown???"

• PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I would consider one mod until they stop relationship culling and that would be a one time mod that fixes this for me and doesn't do anything else. I shy away from big script mods that have the ability to change many things.
    Welp according to SGDrake here, culling is "working as designed" so guess that's one thing a mod will always be needed for. I can't figure out how forgetting friends or even sims in general is a good idea...if it's for performance reasons I've never had any issues with no relationship culling, at most the panel takes a couple more seconds to load :/
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    I normally don't read long posts like this, but this one definitely kept my attention. Some things have been driving me crazy as well. Like when my Sims are sitting at the movie theater or sitting at dinner and they just constantly play musical chairs. So hard to get a good picture when every time one sits and other ones getting up. Not to mention some of the issues I have with get to work there I just posted a thread about. Like how if you give your sim one of the get to work jobs and you don't go with your sim they not only don't they gain experience they seem to lose it. And when you edit the police station it no longer functions properly. I absolutely love the police station that I made and I don't want to have to go back to using the Maxis made one. And I won't go back to that one, I'll just not do that career until it's fixed.
  • egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    I would consider one mod until they stop relationship culling and that would be a one time mod that fixes this for me and doesn't do anything else. I shy away from big script mods that have the ability to change many things.

Because if you even mention mods in a thread no matter if it isn't about mods they seem to ignore those players' complaints. It's sort of not fair to ignore feedback because no point in putting this over in the bug threads because as I said some are bugs known to them, some of them are their own programming that is annoying as all get out, and some are backwards programming. Like making a Sim walk to my Sim instead of my Sim going to them when I didn't use the option to call over. When I click I expect my Sim to go there. Or making a Sim use any bookcase when I clicked a specific bookcase. I expect to be obeyed and that Sim use the bookcase I chose.

It seems mods are carrying this game more and more and they are or seems to be oblivious as to why.

@Cinebar You're going to laugh. :smiley:

I have a mod for you.

It is NOT a one-time mod, if you add it, you'll need to keep it... but it is a one-Function mod, ONLY for relationship culling.

Wanted to post the info in case it might be worth looking at, for you. (Grammar police are gonna GET me for <<< that!!!)

No More Relationship Culling
    by Neia Posted 18th Dec 2015 at 8:14 PM

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=568880

I checked comments, good to go!

Hope it helps.
    @egwarhammer , I glad you have been able to confirm if you take a Sim to a community lot and then switch back to household the game will then send the Sim at the community lot back home. This was so very aggravating and disappointing to me that they have done this. When I first got this game I would send one of my Sims to a community lot and leave them and then go back home to get some time with the Sim at home and maybe call over a friend or their sweetheart to spend some private time. Not anymore. I was very dismayed to see them all coming back into the yard. And I hadn't even clicked' bring Sim here' or bring home etc. That is the last thing I wanted them to nerf. That was actually one of the best features of TS4 was to leave Sims somewhere so you could play the others in the household for awhile.

@Cinebar Someone at MC's MTS thread is telling me that's an old bug.

I have my doubts. I had NOT seen it, till now, and I've played through any variety of household numbers and combos you can think of... not USUALLY 8, but, I have.

He's one with "guts" experience, though (tuning file whiz, for one thing), so I'm hoping he'll come up with more details for me (it's likely, but may not be ASAP-level). I'll post more if he gives me something worth sharing. :)

Invisible chains. You can't tell me that isn't new. It's certainly new HERE.

@Miki the relationship-culling, if you can believe this, came when (in the patch before?) they added GT... their shiny new CLUBS pack. Worst idea-combo in the history of anything, ever, if you ask me.

Make a club! Um... with who? Asinine.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Seems like a work and teleportation issue is at least being looked at: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14807155/#Comment_14807155
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    I am honestly convinced that they won't fix anything. Nothing effective has been done about eternal eating, life-long gardening and relationship fade-out-- and they have been aware of these for quite some time.

This. I honestly don't think they'll ever fix culling and all the other major problems that I've read about since launch. It's like, "La la la, I can't HEAR you.... how about a tragic clown???"
    The problem isn't that they can't fix it. It is that it seems like EA doesn't want any of them to work on bug fixing except when they are testing a new soon to be released expansion. Then they often have fixed bugs that had existed for a very long time because they apparently just found them by random. Only the most serious bugs have a few times been fixed by them at other times. So it must be EA who doesn't want the programmers to use more time on such things than absolutely necessary.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Welp according to SGDrake here, culling is "working as designed" so guess that's one thing a mod will always be needed for. I can't figure out how forgetting friends or even sims in general is a good idea...if it's for performance reasons I've never had any issues with no relationship culling, at most the panel takes a couple more seconds to load :/

Yes I've asked for further clarification on this because at first they said 'working as designed' then when there was a massive thread discussing it another Guru (don't remember who) said they were working on it so people thought that meant a fix and now we are back to the original message from EA that it's working as intended. If culling is to stay I think it will have serious consequences as the game ages and for many of us it's a 'feature' that is considered game breaking.
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member

Yes I've asked for further clarification on this because at first they said 'working as designed' then when there was a massive thread discussing it another Guru (don't remember who) said they were working on it so people thought that meant a fix and now we are back to the original message from EA that it's working as intended. If culling is to stay I think it will have serious consequences as the game ages and for many of us it's a 'feature' that is considered game breaking.

where is the sense to play a game which removes intentionally the content i created ? ? ?

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA

where is the sense to play a game which removes intentionally the content i created ? ? ?

Best. Quote. Ever.

Well said!!!!!!!
  • MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited May 2016

Hey! How are you! I have seen you around, I keep up on your Family Play thread and though I had not mentioned it, the title speaks volumes when combined with its length.

Unless I missed something (it is a long thread and it does have its side conversations, but did they ever give you a clear-cut answer about the toddlers and family play in general?

If they haven't it speaks to what I wanted to get across earlier in here. I don't blame the gurus or even the devs, rather I think all this... everything on this thread and yours-- points to "Upstairs" at EA. Those who interact with us are probably not permitted to get into any detail, nor are the devs allowed to invest "too much" time (read resources) in their fixes (such as test play to look for side effects, for lack of a better word)-- because the company commitment to this game is back=burner.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong.
    @Miki did you mean "test play"? Test pay... um... (obviously they aren't being paid enough, but, I don't think that's what you meant... LOL!)
    @egwarhammer Correction made, but it could be either way. Paid time devoted to testing and bug hunting-- I really don't think EA/Maxis wants to really bother that much with this 16-year old concept, and gurus can deny it until the next blue moon, but they have been told to do that by their bosses.

The corporate mindset varies little, whether you produce video games or manufacture toilet paper.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @Miki I have further more complicated catch up for you if you want to pop over to the family thread so I don't derail too much :) just post there for more information to prompt me if you are interested :)
    The future of The Sims 4 interview – ‘It is kind of like life'

GC: Were you surprised by the initial fan reaction to 4? In terms of either the nature or the volume of complaints?

RF: I would say I was, yeah. I mean I think we took a really hard look at, ‘OK, what are they saying and what’s happening?’ And I think that a little bit of it, frankly, is that if I say something like, ‘Hey, we’re building a foundation with the base game that we’re gonna continue to build on and continue to expand’, that’s just me talking.

But then when you actually do it and you add content in, and you add pools and you add ghosts and you add some career updates, and you add a Game pack and a Stuff pack, and all of these things adding up to each other that we come out with every month… all of a sudden I think people clued in. And it really hit me when we had a fan at an event and they said, ‘We get what you’re doing now, we get that this is truly something that will continue to grow over time. And I thought, ‘That’s what happens!’ Is that I said, but it doesn’t really mean anything until we show it.

GC: So what are your medium and short term priorities for The Sims 4 at the moment? I was trying to check last night, and you still don’t have toddlers?

RF: No.

GC: Is that something that’s going to come later, in maybe the next expansion? Since that is one of the main things fans are still asking for.

RF: You know, our fans ask for a lot of things! [laughs] And here’s the thing, we look at a lot of different factors. We look absolutely at things that are being said in public forums. We also have groups of fans coming in, but we also have telemetry to tell us what people are actually playing with and using.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/14/the-future-of-the-sims-4-interview-it-is-kind-of-like-life-5390869/#ixzz48RRTyyDk

There was also an interview with Peter Moore COO who referenced TS4 fans and said 'toddlers-look at what a furore that was' I will try to get you a link in a minute.

Basically we have had little to no acknowledgement of the popularity of the thread and the importance of the issues to those customers. Almost like if it's not acknowledged then it will go away. No idea if it is being taken into account or not but that's how it feels.

@sparkfairy1 Thanks for the reply! I'll be sure to bop over there in a bit, once RL items are out of the way, but from the interview you quoted.. with all due respect to the admins who manage this forum, it's just a lot of company double talk.

Hypothetically if I were on that team, at a level to know what the ultimate direction is, I would either say,

"Yes, while we did not intend to include the toddler (category of Sims) . We had thought that the Child and Teen stage would have worked better for this edition of the franchise but, given the feedback, we will be working that age group into the game, but as it is a complicated process I cannot say precisely when."

or

"We will not be adding the toddler age bracket into the game as to do so would require a major reworking of the base programming. (or similar reasoning) When we set to writing Sims 4, we believed, at the time, that we sufficiently replaced them with the child stage. Unfortunately we did not anticipate this level of displeasure with that decision, but it is too late to write and patch in an entirely "new" category of Sims.

Either way the question would be answered.

I think that forms the heart of what people on these boards are asking for. Well, along with the issuance of problematic patch content and then not even addressing it in a post such as "We are aware that the tragic clown has caused unanticipated problems in some games and not others, regardless of mod and cc use, or complete lack of it. This is on our radar and we will be working on correcting this in the near future."

But "hypothetically" my bosses would tell me to clean out my desk five minutes after I announced either scenario to the public.

It's a game, not national security. I personally just would like to see some commitment. Just some definitive answers. Even without a solid time table, I believe half the rancor in these forums would dissipate.

They know "upstairs" exactly where they want to go with this.

@Cinebar Sorry, I don't mean to be disrespectful and derail the thread and I'll not wander further, I only did so because it does have some relation to your original post, that the workmanship on these things overall is wanting and the communication about problems is even worse.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

It's one of the reasons I just don't feel connected to this game. I usually have to start a new save after each patch and I wonder who in my game will be gone the next time I play.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I can't help but wonder how culling will affect the game later on. Surely we'll get more worlds that are populated...So are they just going to keep raising the cap? Just give us smaller worlds with less premade sims? Are pets going to risk being culled? I know some are quick to say "Sims 3 had culling too", which is true, but I never had sims I became friends with one day vanish the very next, or a family tree full of blank avatars
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
    I think Peter Moore needs to get a clue and so do developers. I'm one unhappy customer right now. Continuing in my game I moved Julie Hoffman (Doctor in the game and in the old series) in with Barnabas for a little while. (Part of the soap opera reality) so I could add Quentin to Collinwood. Locked away on the third floor (just like DS). Great, he stayed locked up while I played the Stoddard-Collins household. But I wanted Julie to go back and visit them for awhile. First thing, she needed a nap so Elizabeth kicked her out of her old bed. I tried it again and Mrs. Johnson kicked her out of her old bed. I know they added this to make things like 'always welcome' relevant but this bad manners of hostess/host feature was never my idea of fun.

Anyway, I thought I would get a few screen shots for the story in my head following right along with the old soap opera story. Took a few shots of Quentin standing at the window (too bad they don't actually look out like in older games) which he will eventually be a ghost because in DS he is a very angry ghost in the beginning. Been locked, stuck there for years in that room. So, while Julie is trying to catch a nap anywhere I think she can get by with it. I go back up three stories to see if Quentin has died from starvation. (Been giving him food in inventory not quite ready for him to become a ghost until he levels up mischief).

He is gone. Where did he go? I look all over that expansive house (now in the process of also adding their basement). I click page down, page up, walls down, walls up etc. Looking all over for him. He is under the roof, outside his room hidden by the two story roof that is next to the three story room. :s

It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing. Because there was a patch to fix Sims getting out on ledges and no he doesn't have a pc in his locked room. No reason for him to be out on the roof, hidden by the actual roof.

If anyone wants to know why I play TS4 with all it's bugs, backward programming and or lack of detail and complexity....I like the CAS and being able to build Sims with more description than before (but need more sliders) but anyone after reading this thread ought to at least understand where I am coming from...just reread my first post and then this one. Trying to play seven households in this save because they are part of Collinsport, and I keep seeing this stuff over and over.

Don't even get me started again about David was leaving the house (long walk to school) his aunt Elizabeth and his Dad Roger (with bowl in hand) followed him all the way...nothing in their queue. Not one Darn word of where they were going or why. They stopped when David arrived at the spot to leave that huge lot.

What am I supposed to do about crap like that? It's not me Maxis, it's you. No custom content, all patches, all repaired (for the hundredth time) and not using cheats to make things happen. Just building and playing and I can't because of all the stuff I listed and or get annoyed by.

I'm not your worst enemy, I'm telling you why it isn't as big a success the longer it last. It doesn't take a genius to see it's your code and not my way of playing that is the problem.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I can't help but wonder how culling will affect the game later on. Surely we'll get more worlds that are populated...So are they just going to keep raising the cap? Just give us smaller worlds with less premade sims? Are pets going to risk being culled? I know some are quick to say "Sims 3 had culling too", which is true, but I never had sims I became friends with one day vanish the very next, or a family tree full of blank avatars

You know in the hundreds of hours I played TS3 I had one played family culled....one...just one. Once in a while I would see a pop up saying such and such family is moving out of town but I never paid a lot of attention to it because it was some random name I'd never heard of. So we're looking at just about daily play over the course of several years....I lost one family.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I think Peter Moore needs to get a clue and so do developers. I'm one unhappy customer right now. Continuing in my game I moved Julie Hoffman (Doctor in the game and in the old series) in with Barnabas for a little while. (Part of the soap opera reality) so I could add Quentin to Collinwood. Locked away on the third floor (just like DS). Great, he stayed locked up while I played the Stoddard-Collins household. But I wanted Julie to go back and visit them for awhile. First thing, she needed a nap so Elizabeth kicked her out of her old bed. I tried it again and Mrs. Johnson kicked her out of her old bed. I know they added this to make things like 'always welcome' relevant but this bad manners of hostess/host feature was never my idea of fun.

Anyway, I thought I would get a few screen shots for the story in my head following right along with the old soap opera story. Took a few shots of Quentin standing at the window (too bad they don't actually look out like in older games) which he will eventually be a ghost because in DS he is a very angry ghost in the beginning. Been locked, stuck there for years in that room. So, while Julie is trying to catch a nap anywhere I think she can get by with it. I go back up three stories to see if Quentin has died from starvation. (Been giving him food in inventory not quite ready for him to become a ghost until he levels up mischief).

He is gone. Where did he go? I look all over that expansive house (now in the process of also adding their basement). I click page down, page up, walls down, walls up etc. Looking all over for him. He is under the roof, outside his room hidden by the two story roof that is next to the three story room. :s

It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing. Because there was a patch to fix Sims getting out on ledges and no he doesn't have a pc in his locked room. No reason for him to be out on the roof, hidden by the actual roof.

If anyone wants to know why I play TS4 with all it's bugs, backward programming and or lack of detail and complexity....I like the CAS and being able to build Sims with more description than before (but need more sliders) but anyone after reading this thread ought to at least understand where I am coming from...just reread my first post and then this one. Trying to play seven households in this save because they are part of Collinsport, and I keep seeing this stuff over and over.

Don't even get me started again about David was leaving the house (long walk to school) his aunt Elizabeth and his Dad Roger (with bowl in hand) followed him all the way...nothing in their queue. Not one Darn word of where they were going or why. They stopped when David arrived at the spot to leave that huge lot.

What am I supposed to do about crap like that? It's not me Maxis, it's you. No custom content, all patches, all repaired (for the hundredth time) and not using cheats to make things happen. Just building and playing and I can't because of all the stuff I listed and or get annoyed by.

I'm not your worst enemy, I'm telling you why it isn't as big a success the longer it last. It doesn't take a genius to see it's your code and not my way of playing that is the problem.

I agree, and I wish to say I also Luv DS, I was also going to add My creations of them to the Gallery, but not sure I want to now.
    edited May 2016
    @BlueBlack007, I hope you do. I would love to see your creations. I put Collinwood on the gallery and then updated it with what I had finished for the wing they live in. And all my DS characters so far, except Willie I can't get him the right hair or facial expression in this game. But normally I would have been laughing my assets off when I first added Quentin (had to move out Julie because of 8 Sim limit) and it was David (in middle of night) who ventured up those stairs to the third floor (they never go there before, lol) to try to get to see Quentin. I would have given the life simulator a lot more credit than is due for playing right into my imagination. Because that is exactly what happens in DS eventually. David and that little girl who stayed for awhile at their house (Uncle was werewolf) were the first to find Quentin. So, David getting up in the middle of the night in the game (just like in DS) to go see if he can get into a locked room would have made me laugh with glee. I always enjoyed the Sims when they did things that would play right into the story.

But this game gets overshadowed by everything else that is wrong with it. I want this game improved, not ended, but improved. Fixed, more complex, more fun and no amount of objects can actually make that happen when some players who play vanilla games suffer through this stuff and not real effort to correct these horrible bugs and or horrible programming no one likes. Or they wouldn't be using mods to change it.

ETA: Like the game can't keep it's hands off my Sims friendships and romances, but culls them but it will intrude itself into my Sims lives and give them false friends and romances....how does that make sense to anyone. Cull what I do, but add fake ones...so not smart.
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    @BlueBlack007, I hope you do. I would love to see your creations. I put Collinwood on the gallery and then updated it with what I had finished for the wing they live in. And all my DS characters so far, except Willie I can't get him the right hair or facial expression in this game. But normally I would have been laughing my assets off when I first added Quentin (had to move out Julie because of 8 Sim limit) and it was David (in middle of night) who ventured up those stairs to the third floor (they never go there before, lol) to try to get to see Quentin. I would have given the life simulator a lot more credit than is due for playing right into my imagination. Because that is exactly what happens in DS eventually. David and that little girl who stayed for awhile at their house (Uncle was werewolf) were the first to find Quentin. So, David getting up in the middle of the night in the game (just like in DS) to go see if he can get into a locked room would have made me laugh with glee. I always enjoyed the Sims when they did things that would play right into the story.

But this game gets overshadowed by everything else that is wrong with it. I want this game improved, not ended, but improved. Fixed, more complex, more fun and no amount of objects can actually make that happen when some players who play vanilla games suffer through this stuff and not real effort to correct these horrible bugs and or horrible programming no one likes. Or they wouldn't be using mods to change it.

ETA: Like the game can't keep it's hands off my Sims friendships and romances, but culls them but it will intrude itself into my Sims lives and give them false friends and romances....how does that make sense to anyone. Cull what I do, but add fake ones...so not smart.

I was hoping to add mine after we get Pet's, cause I want to make My Quentin a werewolf, since that is what he was in the end, and also the hair styles for the females I was hoping would show up sometime soon, cause can't really put regular hair on them, that is another reason I wanted to wait, to get the right type of hair for them, without adding CC, cause I can't use CC, at this point in time, that is why all My CC creations, had to be taken out of the gallery.

You know in the hundreds of hours I played TS3 I had one played family culled....one...just one. Once in a while I would see a pop up saying such and such family is moving out of town but I never paid a lot of attention to it because it was some random name I'd never heard of. So we're looking at just about daily play over the course of several years....I lost one family.

I had one adult Sim daughter move out of town and I think one of my Sim's friends (a premade townie that lived in the first hood). After that I played with story progression off most of the time when ever I played. It didn't move them out anymore but it would move in townies into a one bedroom house with my Sims on rotation. The problem with SP for me was off wasn't really off sometimes. But I would turn it back on once and awhile and get aggravated with moving in sparkly vamps with my Sims living in one bedroom houses, lol, and then turn it back off.

It had it's moments for good and bad.