Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 and EP3 will NOT be present in the EA Play event

Comments

• Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited May 2016
    MocaJava wrote: »
    @drake_mccarty I disagree with that too. If it were very very transparent then we wouldn't have the damage to the trust that has occurred for many of us post release. I was more than happy to give the studio the benefit of the doubt-proven by my pre-order of the base despite the issues but I based my expectations on those blogs. They read *to me* as an acknowledgement that the base was unfinished, that the team understood that and appreciated our custom and that it would be a priority to communicate and get that base done. They even cemented that impression by patching ghosts, careers and pools so quickly-and many of us took that as a bright future to judge from that they understood and even more bought based on that.

Instead we got even less communication, disappointing statements about the customer base in interviews and no idea if the base will *ever* be finished to the level expected from the *at launch* caveat in their statements.

I truly thought after SimCity crashed and burned at the hands of Maxis & Lucy Bradshaw they would clean their act up. Now I see that their angle is simply just to alienate unsatisfied players into leaving the franchise.

When the community manager comes around shouting that they picked up 2/3 of the people actively playing their game in the last year, it tells me A. This game was a sales disaster originally and B. They are focused on these new players (who are probably children or young teens).

Everyday I lose interest about TS4. We are literally almost 2 years from when the "no toddlers at launch" announcement was made, and where are they? That is the problem, and apparently Maxis has installed blinders on all of their employees to keep them from acknowledging there is a problem. If I wanted to buy potential, I'd get play dough so I can make it into what I want. With The Sims 4 we were supposed to get a sequel to a life simulator, instead we got a redux of an online MMO that was trashed during development.

Ok, can someone direct me to something that implied toddlers were coming sometime? I just keep seeing this thrown around but haven't seen an actual link.

Two blog posts released before the game launched. Within them very deceptive wording was used, and it was used intentionally to plant ideas into players heads whether Maxis intended to pursue them or not.

SimguruRyan said toddlers wouldn't be in the game "at launch" which is 100% true, but it's no mistake those exact words were said. They were chosen because they suggest that while they aren't there now, they're coming. On MTS Graham told players to read Ryan's words carefully, which once again only adds to the attention "at launch" received.

So while this whole situation isn't black and white, it's got a pretty significant gray area. On one hand they did say "toddlers won't be in the game when it comes out" but they hinted they would be back in. Well in the 2 years (almost) since we saw these blog posts there has been no updates or news regarding toddlers, which begs the question when? This is an issue that caused a major tidal wave for TS4 pre-launch and that's something I think everybody at Maxis is neglecting to remember. Their continued silence tells me they can't follow through on their word ($trong foundation? Lol) and they will hide behind their policies to avoid another petition damaging what's left of their rep.

@MocaJava from Sim Guru Ryan https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/news/neighborhoods-weird-moments-and-more
    And while we recognize that some of you will be disappointed that pools and toddlers won’t be available when The Sims 4 Base Game launches in September, you should know that we’re building an incredibly strong foundation that is capable of fulfilling every one of your desires in the years to come. The future of The Sims 4 is bright!

Then there was the Rachel Franklin one.

https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/news/whats-out-and-whats-in
    We’re less than 60 days out from the launch of The Sims™ 4, and I have so much I want to talk about. But let me start with a bit more about the decision we made not to include pools and toddlers in The Sims 4, as we’ve seen some of you have concerns about this.

The fact is, we owe you a clearer explanation for why pools and toddlers will not be in The Sims 4 at launch

What with the conversation @drake_mccarty referenced many people took that caveat *at launch* to mean something-especially when they implemented pools and ghosts shortly after release. They then went deathly silent on toddlers.

Yes. This seems to me like:

A ) They obviously don't give a plumbob about toddlers, because hey, the franchise is going so amazing with their ''growth''. So why bother about even adding them if they don't need them to rake in the money, obviouisly.

B ) They are pulling another cash grab to make toddlers paid content, and just put it into a Generations EP with some basic clothing and that's it for the rest of the series.

C ) They don't want to go through all the trouble of making them because it's a lot of work to do, and they don't have enough ''resources'' for it, because they got rid of so many people in the past and now dealing with massive problems when it comes to time and resources.

Anyway, they are still not here, and they keep quiet about this, which is simply ..well... plum.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Lol @PHOEBESMOM601 and @rudy8292 got there before me. I quoted the relevant parts though. At launch was the caveat I mentioned. It read to me, and I know others, that it was a temporary situation. We are now a year and eight months later and they have completely zipped their lips in regards to this. The implementation of the other features in those blogs also reinforced for many people that it was a temporary situation. I would feel better about it if they had said clearly-it will take a long time-if these features mean a lot hold off on buying until they appear. As that didn't happen I feel taken in.

@drake_mccarty I know. I just don't want it to be true. I love Maxis and have supported them since I was a child. I don't want to think that it may not be appreciated!
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    We are going to have one EP this year... What a mess.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    Thank you all for the information.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    @sparkfairy1 I do know that you and a lot of others mourn the lack of toddlers and that blog (that was linked) did say that they wouldn't be in at launch. As far as the blog really explaining what's in what's out....I'm afraid I just don't see it.

My example.....no cemeteries and, once they were added, culled ghosts. I know it may seem silly to many but haunted cemeteries and houses are as much a part of my game play as toddlers are to others. @SimGuruDaniel was in the forum one night shortly after release and I asked if we could have a cemetery added.....the reply was that it was on his to do list.

In the blog Ms Franklin says "I’ll give you one example that continually jumps out at me as we talk about how to make The Sims 4 feel uniquely personal to you, our players." and then she goes on to talk about CAS. I don't feel I have a lot of options to make TS4 uniquely personal.....maybe with mods.....not the game as it is.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    @sparkfairy1 I do know that you and a lot of others mourn the lack of toddlers and that blog (that was linked) did say that they wouldn't be in at launch. As far as the blog really explaining what's in what's out....I'm afraid I just don't see it.

My example.....no cemeteries and, once they were added, culled ghosts. I know it may seem silly to many but haunted cemeteries and houses are as much a part of my game play as toddlers are to others. @SimGuruDaniel was in the forum one night shortly after release and I asked if we could have a cemetery added.....the reply was that it was on his to do list.

In the blog Ms Franklin says "I’ll give you one example that continually jumps out at me as we talk about how to make The Sims 4 feel uniquely personal to you, our players." and then she goes on to talk about CAS. I don't feel I have a lot of options to make TS4 uniquely personal.....maybe with mods.....not the game as it is.

I totally Agree, I also am waiting for Cemeteries, Coffins and such, :)
  • Options

Oh I totally agree. Toddlers is just my area of interest so of course I know more about that myself @PHOEBESMOM601 and although I'm aware of your request and lack of action it's just I wouldn't talk for you-I totally appreciate our requests are essentially from the same motivation to be able to enjoy our games to their full 'potential'. I'm glad you mentioned your experience in regards to 'very clear' communication although I'm sad it's a much like the same story as my requests! :)

I am, and always will be, behind your requests for consideration in future content.

I agree. While there are great leaps in CAS in TS4 (particularly love the better provision for maternity!) the removal of CASt and the narrowing of traits etc has frustrated my full enjoyment of creating sims.

Quite frankly when I hear 'You rule' in regards to TS4 I can't help but feel that couldn't be further than the truth in my experience as a player of TS4 thus far.
  • Options

And then there is....they were never meant to be a tradition....when it comes to different life states.

One thing from the blog that I do agree with.

"But now the upshot: The Sims 4 is a completely new game, and it feels different to play. You’ll notice the new technology base the first time you play."

It is very much a different game than we have been used to and I, for one, felt totally unprepared for what I did find on September 2, 2014.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    @drake_mccarty I disagree with that too. If it were very very transparent then we wouldn't have the damage to the trust that has occurred for many of us post release. I was more than happy to give the studio the benefit of the doubt-proven by my pre-order of the base despite the issues but I based my expectations on those blogs. They read *to me* as an acknowledgement that the base was unfinished, that the team understood that and appreciated our custom and that it would be a priority to communicate and get that base done. They even cemented that impression by patching ghosts, careers and pools so quickly-and many of us took that as a bright future to judge from that they understood and even more bought based on that.

Instead we got even less communication, disappointing statements about the customer base in interviews and no idea if the base will *ever* be finished to the level expected from the *at launch* caveat in their statements.

I truly thought after SimCity crashed and burned at the hands of Maxis & Lucy Bradshaw they would clean their act up. Now I see that their angle is simply just to alienate unsatisfied players into leaving the franchise.

When the community manager comes around shouting that they picked up 2/3 of the people actively playing their game in the last year, it tells me A. This game was a sales disaster originally and B. They are focused on these new players (who are probably children or young teens).

Everyday I lose interest about TS4. We are literally almost 2 years from when the "no toddlers at launch" announcement was made, and where are they? That is the problem, and apparently Maxis has installed blinders on all of their employees to keep them from acknowledging there is a problem. If I wanted to buy potential, I'd get play dough so I can make it into what I want. With The Sims 4 we were supposed to get a sequel to a life simulator, instead we got a redux of an online MMO that was trashed during development.

Amen.

Also, follow their twitters. They tend to only reply to the happy cheer, and promoting the Yibsims in the community. That's whay they are doing. They are, indeed closing their eyes for all the critical comments, all the negativity. They are just pretending it doesn't exist.

It's pretty sad (and laughable).

But what is sad is this 'negativity' thing. Feedback even if its from disappointed is not 'negativity' and it comes from love for the series. It disappoints me to think that may be missed in this situation.

@drake_mccarty yes I agree. Do you know what? I trusted Maxis more after SC2013 because I was sure they would have learnt some hard fought lessons and make sure not to get into a situation such as that again. I think its sad that there is an impression that they don't want loyal customers-if that is true then it is really truly sad for Maxis because we have a lot of love for them and their body of work and it is exactly why we have supported them despite the issues. You can't replace that sort of loyalty and love. That is why I don't want to believe that.

Bolded part by me.
    Sadly, I agree with that part because I've felt it on Twitter and here in this forum. When a person commented about their feelings on Sims 4 and it's not glowing, people here told them to leave, get out. When the person getting attacked fight back, they are banned on some hokey reasons the fans bring to the moderators. This was and still being promoted in the community and there's lots of players that took their invitation to leave. We are stuck with this mess and I don't see anything getting better. I keep hoping but that is fading too. *shrugs*

I am not surprised the Sims 4 will not be in any of the yearly promotions by EA. Why should they do it? I know I wouldn't and feel the same way they do. Shamed.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options

And then there is....they were never meant to be a tradition....when it comes to different life states.

"But now the upshot: The Sims 4 is a completely new game, and it feels different to play. You’ll notice the new technology base the first time you play."

It is very much a different game than we have been used to and I, for one, felt totally unprepared for what I did find on September 2, 2014.

All I want is My pets back and My gothic supernatural stuff back, the rest I do not worry bout, if they add those back I will be happy.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

All I want is My pets back and My gothic supernatural stuff back, the rest I do not worry bout, if they add those back I will be happy.

What I'm most concerned about is the fact that all sims in this game are all the same regardless of traits. They are boring and the reason I do not feel like playing the game.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    @blewis823 I know. I've felt that way too. Which bothers me hugely because a feeling like that may very well have longer term consequences than just the relatively short term of this version.

I'd like to hope is TS4 can't cater for whatever reason that TS5 would. But I have no idea if that will be the case-and my preorder addiction is cured. I won't be preordering TS5 base after this experience. That's pretty sad after over fifteen years of doing so. I don't want to feel like my trust is eroded but the fact is that this experience has eroded it. Almost to the point where I don't know if I can trust in the future.
  • Options

I'm not sure that just those things would make me happy.

You see, at this point, I find TS4 to be a lot of "maintenance".....and what do I mean by that? More than likely when a patch needs to be added something new in my game breaks and I have to start a new save....so I have no reason to really get attached to a particular story. I'm told to repair my game or remove this folder or that folder. If I would add mods.....each time there is a patch I'd have to hunt down updates or risk my game breaking in other ways. Then there are work arounds....the simple things that you figure out what to do in your game so you can deal with the bugs and glitches.

I'm sorry....most of the time the rewards in this game are simply not worth the "maintenance" for me. I'd just like to play, not figure out all the technical ins and outs.

• Options

You see, at this point, I find TS4 to be a lot of "maintenance".....and what do I mean by that? More than likely when a patch needs to be added something new in my game breaks and I have to start a new save....so I have no reason to really get attached to a particular story. I'm told to repair my game or remove this folder or that folder. If I would add mods.....each time there is a patch I'd have to hunt down updates or risk my game breaking in other ways. Then there are work arounds....the simple things that you figure out what to do in your game so you can deal with the bugs and glitches.

I'm sorry....most of the time the rewards in this game are simply not worth the "maintenance" for me. I'd just like to play, not figure out all the technical ins and outs.

Tell me about it. I had to learn how to use mods in TS4. Played totally mod and CC free pre TS4 on all the games.

I had the update bug. The one where every.single.patch introduced features with commands that had nothing in the command box or lines of text when I was trying to tell my sims what to do. Every time I was told to uninstall/reinstall. That's ridiculous given how often they update this game and had a big impact on the desire to keep trying to play the game.

Actually my experience was that this game had the most issues I've ever experienced in the sims series. I'm glad for other people they have had better experiences but considering how bare this game was as a base I expected a very polished product on release as a mitigation for the issues. It's not what I received.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    @blewis823 I know. I've felt that way too. Which bothers me hugely because a feeling like that may very well have longer term consequences than just the relatively short term of this version.

I'd like to hope is TS4 can't cater for whatever reason that TS5 would. But I have no idea if that will be the case-and my preorder addiction is cured. I won't be preordering TS5 base after this experience. That's pretty sad after over fifteen years of doing so. I don't want to feel like my trust is eroded but the fact is that this experience has eroded it. Almost to the point where I don't know if I can trust in the future.

I don't think there will be a Sims 5. EA didn't think The Sims and Sims 2 would be as popular as it was and when those games became popular, money making, Sims 3 and 4 became patch up, improvised, repurposed shadows of a Sims game. They knew investing the least but raking in the most would be more profitable and the players will buy it because it's Sims! Still works today, but I feel EA/Maxis is tired of this series and the disrespect to the fans that discern it is palatable. Oh well, ce la vie. *shrugs*
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    Flop.
  • Options

Tell me about it. I had to learn how to use mods in TS4. Played totally mod and CC free pre TS4 on all the games.

You know I'll say it again....and I do know a lot of players had to mod TS3 to make it playable.......but the only mods I added to TS3 were to change or enhance game play. I never had the problems with just getting the game to play as intended.

• Options

yup I agree with you on that, for sure, :)
  • Options
    PandaORosePandaORose Posts: 549 Member
    For The Sims 3, I didn't need mods to fix my game even though it was a buggy mess. I could still play without mods. They only enhanced my game. One of the reasons why I don't play TS4 anymore is because I kept reading about how a lot of players needed mods to combat culling, relationship culling, etc. Knowing me and how I pride myself in long family trees, I did not want to have to mod the game just to keep an intact family tree or keep ghostly family members from disappearing. Seriously? What sense does it make when a player has to fix a certain mechanic in the game that's supposed to keep track of generations? And I don't believe the devs when they say that culling is supposed to work how it should-maybe it's half-truths. Could they have at least programmed the game to not have "swiss cheese" family trees? The team and the game makes me so confuzzled its not even funny :/
    2750512.gif~c200

• Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited May 2016
    QDog wrote: »
    To7m wrote: »
    MocaJava wrote: »
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

Hopping in here because it seems like there is a lot of misleading information being presented that I want to squash:
    1. Please link to a source whenever you make any kind of statement. Do not simply state something as being factual without any information to back it up.
    2. The Sims 4 is doing just fine. As many of you have noted from our financial report that The Sims 4 player base grew by nearly two-thirds in the fiscal year <<this is fact, not opinion (and before it gets asked: no I will not be providing any additional information that was not shared in our financial reports.)
    Additionally: I am seeing this far too often here and I want to make it clear. Your personal opinions are not fact and should never be stated as such. Do not make statements about what you *think* is going on within studio and try to pass it off as being factual information. Do not make statements of what you *think* myself and the other SimGurus feel about the community or the game --you are not us. The SimGurus are people not a product and should be respected as individuals --this means that slamming the developers and making personal attacks towards them is not and will never be okay. The Sims 4 is a product and you are welcome to provide your opinions on said product whether it is negative or positive. The forums are a place for you to provide feedback / ideas, share your creations, and talk / debate with one another about The Sims 4 and the franchise as a whole --not a place for you to attack / slander / defame the people who work on it.

I'm happy to answer the questions that I can. I'm also changing the title of this thread as it is extremely misleading.

OK, here are some questions. Why are actual sales numbers shared for some EA games but not for TS4?

Is culling (Sims, relationships) going to be fixed?

It was confirmed recently that Pets are not being worked on at all yet. (http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/880239/pets-confirmed-as-a-not-right-now/p1) Considering how long expansion packs take to make, from the very start to release, is it doubtful that TS4 will ever have Pets?

Thank you.
    Why are actual sales numbers shared for some EA games but not for TS4?

I do not work in the finance department so I'm unable to answer this.
    Is culling (Sims, relationships) going to be fixed?

Though this is considered working as designed the team is always looking at your feedback to make improvements.
    It was confirmed recently that Pets are not being worked on at all yet. (http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/880239/pets-confirmed-as-a-not-right-now/p1) Considering how long expansion packs take to make, from the very start to release, is it doubtful that TS4 will ever have Pets?

This falls into future content territory which I can't comment on.

You know, nothing personal against you, I'm sure you're just lovely, but I'm getting pretty sick and tired of you saying that you're happy to answer our questions and then just don't. What CAN you answer? You'd (general sense) have to be some new level of ignorant to not know what most of our questions are! At this point, I honestly don't care about culling. Toddlers!? Toddlers, toddlers, toddlers!? Where are they? And please, point me to somebody that CAN answer this question. "No comment" is getting old.

--T

ETA: Tidy up. Typos...

NDAs are NDAs and I'm assuming that's the reason there are often topics that just cannot be discussed here. If it's anything like the company I work for then there are some pretty serious penalties involved for anyone who breaks an NDA. Getting frustrated just isn't going to get around the fact that they're just not allowed to talk about it, no one is going to sacrifice their job and reputation in the industry to make a few people on an internet forum be happy / quiet for a few minutes.

It does seem a bit counterproductive to mention questions and then be unable to answer said questions; but in fairness it's kind of predictable at this point that people are going to ask about things we already know they can't reply to.

You're telling me this like I care when I really just don't. If she can't answer me, then as I asked, put me in touch with somebody who can. I want to know about a product that I potentially would I like to invest (more) in. If they're not even going to tell me if a CRUCIAL part of this product that is missing is a possibility or not then why should I give them my money? And quite frankly, until they address the issue, my interest in anything else they show me is at zero. But because they've said diddly-squat I don't even know if I might regret giving up on the game altogether or if it will be worth it in the long run. I honestly don't care about anything else at this point. Are they even going to ATTEMPT to add toddlers? That's all I want to know. No release dates. No promises. Just a yes or no. Then I can move on with my life (dramatic, I know, but this is what it does to me)

--T

ETA: forgot, like, a whole sentence. Lol coffee!

No one is going to answer that for you unfortunately. We'll either know just before they come out, or not at all.

Why not? Why is it so hard to answer this question? I'm sorry, but it's just not acceptable.

For me, the ironic thing is that I could enjoy this game for what it is, even if they told me, officially, no toddlers. Until they do this, I'll always just see what this game could've been.

--T

They won't because it's EA's policy not to talk about future content. Full stop. There is no such thing as a right for consumers to get information about a company's future plans regarding new products or releases. Every company has a right to manage their affairs, including PR and marketing, as they please. However if you don't like a certain comany's policies, you have every right to stop purchasing their products.
    Unless they announce it, then they can. And they can announce paid content whenever they want.
    For upcoming content that we plan to sell, we can announce it whenever we want and it doesn't impact our financials because you haven't had the opportunity to purchase it yet.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/884260/lines-of-communication-are-opening-up-yay/p6
    On page 12 Drake says they can talk about it when it has been released
    We can talk about stuff that is already out or is officially announced

The way I understand is that they can not talk about future content, unless it has been officially announced, which they apparently can do whenever they want. Or perhaps I misunderstood something? So why don't they just announce it?

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2016

Same. I really miss Cemeteries. The Goth house just feels wrong without the family headstones. I blame the culling feature for that. Bad enough without toddlers and having object babies. I have other game styles like with those features that are hindering my enjoyment of the game too. :( Why I still have a love/hate relationship with the Sims 4. There are some things I like, but other things that make me shake my head in disappointment. I don't mind if the Sims 4 won't be at some PR event. What I do mind is that the base game is still in the poor state it is even after all this time.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »

Same. I really miss Cemeteries. The Goth house just feels wrong without the family headstones. I blame the culling feature for that. Bad enough without toddlers and having object babies. I have other game styles like with those features that are hindering my enjoyment of the game too. :( Why I still have a love/hate relationship with the Sims 4. There are some things I like, but other things that make me shake my head in disappointment. I don't mind if the Sims 4 won't be at some PR event. What I do mind is that the base game is still in the poor state it is even after all this time.

But you know what Ms Franklin said in that blog.

"But now the upshot: The Sims 4 is a completely new game, and it feels different to play. "
  • Options

Same. I really miss Cemeteries. The Goth house just feels wrong without the family headstones. I blame the culling feature for that.

I do not like the Goth house, Nor the goth family, I kept the house and got rid of the family, I made the goth family Exactly how they looked in Sims 1 , only I added Alexander, which of Course they seemed to have copied, cause in sims 1 there was only Mortimer, Bella, & Cassandra, I added Alexander to My game , then I see that he was added to other games after, odd.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

I do not like the Goth house, Nor the goth family, I kept the house and got rid of the family, I made the goth family Exactly how they looked in Sims 1 , only I added Alexander, which of Course they seemed to have copied, cause in sims 1 there was only Mortimer, Bella, & Cassandra, I added Alexander to My game , then I see that he was added to other games after, odd.
    Yeah I was disappointed in some of the premades for the Sims 4. The Calientes too. Did you make Bella's brother Michael Bachelor too? That's cool you redid them.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

Same. I really miss Cemeteries. The Goth house just feels wrong without the family headstones. I blame the culling feature for that.

I can't even begin to tell you how many TS3 games I played in that house and with that family.

And I agree with @Scobre . I tried recreating the Goth house and cemetery from TS3. That's when I found out about culling. Hours of play gone down the tubes when I saw that my cemetery was empty with blank headstones.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top