Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best ways to make money

My sim can't have a career. What are the best ways a human sim can make money in game? Usually I have my sim either be a werewolf and master their hunting skill, or have a dog and have the dog hunt. But in this save I can't have either of those and she really needs a good cash flow.

So what's the best way to rake in some cash, quicker the better. She's pregnant and needs to move soon.
p8L4V6v.png

Comments

• Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_guide:Earning_simoleons

Painting or writing will work. You can also go to the graveyard and look around for special seeds and sell them. I've had a harder time finding rocks and gems without the collection helper lifetime reward though.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Best short-term cash flow ... Collecting (use the consignment store to get better returns)
    Best medium-term cash flow ... Fishing and/or Gardening (after your skill advances ... You can eventually catch 5-6 Deathfish a night 1000+@)
    Best long-term cash flow ... Writing or Nectar Making (Become a prolific/speed writing Romance novelist and you can net 350k+ a week)

Best money making decision ... Invest.

Keep only what you need to eat ... Sell the rest daily.
    Partner then Buy Out all the businesses with the income you make added to your weekly investment returns.

Live poor for a little while (don't waste your money on a cheap television when you can afford a fancy house to put it in 4 weeks later) ... Then be set for life and generations to come.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    If you have seasons you can pick flowers and sell them .consigning things you make and find might get you more .i know if you find tiberium you can lay it out to grow and once it's grown you can consign it and get around 70k
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Thanks guys! :)

I've gotten crazy rich from hunting and finding tiberium, letting it grow, then consigning it at the elixir shop. And if you can have a sim max the science skill, and clone tiberium... you have pretty much endless funds.

I think I'll try her hand at writing and painting as a steady source of income. With some side collecting (I had forgotten about the flowers!).
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    My Sims that make a living off the consignment store usually haul in around §70,000 a day and could do more. It took them a while to get there but the husband gardens and is a gem cutter while the wife fishes and makes elixirs. They both have the Born Sales(woman/man) trait and the perk for increasing the value of their goods.

I don't know if you're using mods or not but if you do I highly recommend NRaas Consigner mod which I love and to my mind makes the consignment system make a lot more sense. With it they can consign minor pets as well as processed gems and metals. Sometimes I just have them buy what's available in the consignment store and process it and list for sale. You can even place a gem cutting machine on the lot so they don't have to go home to cut them.

When it comes to partnering and buying businesses, I recommend only making those types of investments after they are fairly flush with money since most of the investments will take several Sim weeks to get to the break even point and start being profitable.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    When it comes to partnering and buying businesses, I recommend only making those types of investments after they are fairly flush with money since most of the investments will take several Sim weeks to get to the break even point and start being profitable.

I keep hearing people using the "break even" analogy when talking about buying properties (business or community).
    That isn't the case in the game because you can always sell the property at any time ... Your investment is never lost/spent.

Everything your property earns in returns is profit ... And not covering a loss in capital assets.
    If you ever need money before the next Monday at 09:00 ... Just liquidate an asset.

Edit:
    In other words ... It is free money.
    If you don't have to spend it today ... Invest it in something and let it start paying you.

• Options
    SittingBear888SittingBear888 Posts: 23 Member
    > @BlackSand said:
    > Best short-term cash flow ... Collecting (use the consignment store to get better returns)
    > Best medium-term cash flow ... Fishing and/or Gardening (after your skill advances ... You can eventually catch 5-6 Deathfish a night 1000+@)
    > Best long-term cash flow ... Writing or Nectar Making (Become a prolific/speed writing Romance novelist and you can net 350k+ a week)
    >
    > Best money making decision ... Invest.
    >
    > Keep only what you need to eat ... Sell the rest daily.
    > Partner then Buy Out all the businesses with the income you make added to your weekly investment returns.
    >
    > Live poor for a little while (don't waste your money on a cheap television when you can afford a fancy house to put it in 4 weeks later) ... Then be set for life and generations to come.
    >
    > .

You forgot Painting you can make $1000-2000+ a day from one large painting with a maxed out painting skill
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Yeah I was going to suggest painting and writing. Seriously lock up a sim and have them slave away day after day doing both and your household will be rich.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    You forgot Painting you can make $1000-2000+ a day from one large painting with a maxed out painting skill

Technically ... I didn't forget painting ... I left it out on purpose.

The time it takes to paint versus the amount of money you can make in less time doing the other things makes a difference.
    If you can catch 6 fish worth 1500 a piece in the time it takes to paint a painting that is worth 3500 ... Which one is a better profit?

Writing is far more profitable than painting because you get paid while you write.
    You get paid when you finish the book and every week for six weeks after that.

Nectar making is far more profitable than painting because you can make a single bottle of nectar worth 650.
    Stick it in the rack for a week and it will be worth more than 1000 ... And make 12 bottles a day.

Gardening is worth more than painting because you can find a Red Bean Coffee Bean ... And perfect it.
    At perfect ... One bunch of those beans bring 200 ... Each plant produces 3 bunches on a harvest day.
    Grow a meager garden of 22 plants ... And do the math for harvest day.

I mean I have nothing against painting ... And all my Sims manage to master their painting skill ... In their "free-time".

• Options
    > @BlackSand said:
    > SittingBear888 wrote: »
    >
    > You forgot Painting you can make $1000-2000+ a day from one large painting with a maxed out painting skill
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Technically ... I didn't forget painting ... I left it out on purpose.
    >
    > The time it takes to paint versus the amount of money you can make in less time doing the other things makes a difference.
    > If you can catch 6 fish worth 1500 a piece in the time it takes to paint a painting that is worth 3500 ... Which one is a better profit?
    >
    > Writing is far more profitable than painting because you get paid while you write.
    > You get paid when you finish the book and every week for six weeks after that.
    >
    > Nectar making is far more profitable than painting because you can make a single bottle of nectar worth 650.
    > Stick it in the rack for a week and it will be worth more than 1000 ... And make 12 bottles a day.
    >
    > Gardening is worth more than painting because you can find a Red Bean Coffee Bean ... And perfect it.
    > At perfect ... One bunch of those beans bring 200 ... Each plant produces 3 bunches on a harvest day.
    > Grow a meager garden of 22 plants ... And do the math for harvest day.
    >
    > I mean I have nothing against painting ... And all my Sims manage to master their painting skill ... In their "free-time".
    >
    > .

My Artist sim regularly makes 2 $4000-5000 paintings in the same time it takes to catch 6 deathfish being a perfectionist and completing the Challenges for the Painting skill goes a long way and some of the Opportunities can net nearly 10-20 times more than what a painting or paintings are worth
  • Options
    I'll give an example and this did happen my sim got the opportunity to make 15 paintings for Town Hall. So I had him make 15 small paintings that valued at $1500 to $1800 each took 2 days and he walked away with $450k for just 2 days work.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    BlackSand wrote: »
    BSIRegina wrote: »

I keep hearing people using the "break even" analogy when talking about buying properties (business or community).
    That isn't the case in the game because you can always sell the property at any time ... Your investment is never lost/spent.

Everything your property earns in returns is profit ... And not covering a loss in capital assets.
    If you ever need money before the next Monday at 09:00 ... Just liquidate an asset.

Edit:
    In other words ... It is free money.
    If you don't have to spend it today ... Invest it in something and let it start paying you.

Of course you can sell it back but the idea here is to hang on to the business and keep making money off of it. If money is that big of an issue, as in for some reason your Sim really needs a little something right now to tide them over I think collectibles are the way to go.

Another great investment is a trip abroad. It's better with the collection helper but my Sims pay for their trips at least twenty times over by bringing the ores and gems back home, processing it and selling it. I even have them buy everything that come for sale at the market while they're on their trip as well.

My Sims live off my inner Ferengi. Rarely do any of them ever have rabbit hole jobs.
    > @BlackSand said:
    >
    > You forgot Painting you can make $1000-2000+ a day from one large painting with a maxed out painting skill
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Technically ... I didn't forget painting ... I left it out on purpose.
    >
    > The time it takes to paint versus the amount of money you can make in less time doing the other things makes a difference.
    > If you can catch 6 fish worth 1500 a piece in the time it takes to paint a painting that is worth 3500 ... Which one is a better profit?
    >
    > Writing is far more profitable than painting because you get paid while you write.
    > You get paid when you finish the book and every week for six weeks after that.
    >
    > Nectar making is far more profitable than painting because you can make a single bottle of nectar worth 650.
    > Stick it in the rack for a week and it will be worth more than 1000 ... And make 12 bottles a day.
    >
    > Gardening is worth more than painting because you can find a Red Bean Coffee Bean ... And perfect it.
    > At perfect ... One bunch of those beans bring 200 ... Each plant produces 3 bunches on a harvest day.
    > Grow a meager garden of 22 plants ... And do the math for harvest day.
    >
    > I mean I have nothing against painting ... And all my Sims manage to master their painting skill ... In their "free-time".
    >
    > .

My Artist sim regularly makes 2 $4000-5000 paintings in the same time it takes to catch 6 deathfish being a perfectionist and completing the Challenges for the Painting skill goes a long way and some of the Opportunities can net nearly 10-20 times more than what a painting or paintings are worth

That's another thing the consignment store is great for. If a Sim does sculpting or painting those go to the consignment store as well where they sell for more money. Deathfish are valuable but it's impossible to catch very many of them in one night. Still, it's entirely possible to set up a hatchery of sorts. Put a pair of deathfish in an aquarium and let them breed and sell off the excess. A half-dozen tanks turn over a tidy sum before too long. Aside from a "hatchery" fishing isn't the most lucrative self-employed job for a Sim. I prefer to use it in support of other things and sell off what isn't needed.
  • Options
    I had an Angler sim who once used to average $6000 a night catching deathfish sometimes more but it can sometimes take all night and when winter hits well pretty your much out of luck once the pond freezes over.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2016
    Motherlode it, motherlode until the money cap explodes :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Or you could use MasterController's Household > Family Funds command (MC Cheats module required) to give yourself and/or everyone in town billions of Simoleons. But where is the fun in that?

But to everyone else, I only have one thing to say. Don't you want your sims to be happy? Money doesn't buy happiness.

(runs away and tries to dodge the inevitable onslaught of rotten fruit, deathfish, and assorted small household objects no doubt being hurled in my general direction...)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > Sigzy05 wrote: »
    >
    > Motherlode it, motherlode until the money cap explodes :p
    >
    >
    >
    > Or you could use MasterController's Household > Family Funds command (MC Cheats module required) to give yourself and/or everyone in town billions of Simoleons. But where is the fun in that?
    >
    >
    > But to everyone else, I only have one thing to say. Don't you want your sims to be happy? Money doesn't buy happiness.
    >
    > (runs away and dodges the inevitable onslaught of rotten fruit, deathfish, and assorted household objects no doubt being hurled in my general direction...)

You can do that to but who says money can't buy happiness? You can get a big fancy house, car and every other thing your sim could want and even buy your sims neighbors cute wife :D
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    You can do that to but who says money can't buy happiness?
    That's easy. Those of us who don't have any. Next question? :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    >
    > You can do that to but who says money can't buy happiness?
    >
    >
    >
    > That's easy. Those of us who don't have any. Next question? :p

True enough how you doing igazor :smile:
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Or you could use MasterController's Household > Family Funds command (MC Cheats module required) to give yourself and/or everyone in town billions of Simoleons. But where is the fun in that?

But to everyone else, I only have one thing to say. Don't you want your sims to be happy? Money doesn't buy happiness.

(runs away and tries to dodge the inevitable onslaught of rotten fruit, deathfish, and assorted small household objects no doubt being hurled in my general direction...)

True... money don't buy happiness... but it sure is a fun distraction! :D:D I might or might not have thrown a rubber ducky.... but no proof, so..... :D
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I had an Angler sim who once used to average $6000 a night catching deathfish sometimes more but it can sometimes take all night and when winter hits well pretty your much out of luck once the pond freezes over.

Save ten deathfish ... Dig a pond in your front yard ... Put a saltwater designator in it ... Stock it with the deathfish and catch 18-20 a day.
    By that time you could be catching deathfish at the 3000-5000 range ... And work one day a week.

• Options
    > @BlackSand said:
    >
    > I had an Angler sim who once used to average $6000 a night catching deathfish sometimes more but it can sometimes take all night and when winter hits well pretty your much out of luck once the pond freezes over.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Save ten deathfish ... Dig a pond in your front yard ... Put a saltwater designator in it ... Stock it with the deathfish and catch 18-20 a day.
    > By that time you could be catching deathfish at the 3000-5000 range ... And work one day a week.
    >
    > .

I've done that before but I like to go with the flow of the game makes it more challenging; call me crazy but I like to do things the hard way
  • Options
    ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    > @BlackSand said:
    >
    > I had an Angler sim who once used to average $6000 a night catching deathfish sometimes more but it can sometimes take all night and when winter hits well pretty your much out of luck once the pond freezes over.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Save ten deathfish ... Dig a pond in your front yard ... Put a saltwater designator in it ... Stock it with the deathfish and catch 18-20 a day.
    > By that time you could be catching deathfish at the 3000-5000 range ... And work one day a week.
    >
    > .

I've done that before but I like to go with the flow of the game makes it more challenging; call me crazy but I like to do things the hard way

Or you could also put in the temperature tuning mod I made for you that would keep it above freezing :p
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • Options
    > @ScottDemon said:
    > Or you could also put in the temperature tuning mod I made for you that would keep it above freezing :p
    Yes I could do that how ya doing little brother.
    Now go back to your room I didn't say you could come out.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    My sim can't have a career. What are the best ways a human sim can make money in game? Usually I have my sim either be a werewolf and master their hunting skill, or have a dog and have the dog hunt. But in this save I can't have either of those and she really needs a good cash flow.

So what's the best way to rake in some cash, quicker the better. She's pregnant and needs to move soon.

If you have the collection helper and can spend some time running around collecting bugs, metals, and do some fishing, the alchemy skill can be very lucrative. The higher skilled elixirs (especially the ones for occult states) are worth a ton of money when consigned. There's some gardening (and the mushrooms are slow to grow), fishing, and very specific items are needed for the pricier elixirs. If you decide to go this route, get the Make Many Elixirs mod from MTS. Your sim will be able to make a specific elixir recipe over and over automatically without you having to pick the recipe every time.

I also like the World Adventures quests for a quick buck. There's a lot of loot to acquire and consign back home, and once you get the Tears of Horus your sim can easily spend the day excavating dig sites which can bring a lot of pricey relics and a nice chain of wishes related to relic finding which are worth a sizable number of lifetime happiness points. You can call a babysitter once her baby is born and take off for one of the 3 destinations and no one will age at all the whole trip. There's also a relic hunter LTR which helps find better loot. If you use NRaas Traveler you can pause travel and spend as much time as you like on vacation completing quests, and excavating dig sites, gathering gems/metals/insects.

If you like gardening and have University, the red berry bean coffee plant is very profitable and grows fairly quickly too. If your sim goes to University, you can take just one (or two) classes for 2 weeks, stay at a dorm with a big back yard, and grow 24 or 48 plants without much trouble (I use Relativity at 18 for university, which helps).
  • Options
    If nothing else I love the grow station from the store for those Supernatural mushrooms. For me it's too OP to use on everything but I like to consider it like a greenhouse if I want to get something off to a quick start or in the case of the mushrooms plant all I want to grow in its zone of control. Shoot, some of those mushrooms by themselves are worth a small fortune.