Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't get custom families or households to show up in family bin

shandra2183shandra2183 Posts: 212 Member
Been playing sims 3 the last few years and then sims 4. Just started playing the sims 2 again and trying to remember where to install cc. I also am playing with ultimate collection. I have tried installing custom families/households and when I go into the game they are not shown in the family bin. I also tried downloading a household with house and no luck with that either. I am using clean installer to install things and win war. Just don't know what I am doing wrong. I have tried putting them in downloads, savedsims and teleport and nothing shows up in the bin. I download plan lots and they show up. I download regular sims and they show up in cas. Here is a link to a household I am trying to install. thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims2-sims-families/title/soup-sims%3A-raspberry-and-raphael-soup/id/813922/ Anyone who can help, I would appreciate it.

Comments

• SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    If they are on a house, they would show up in the Lot Bin, not Family Bin. Clean Installer would know where the files go so I don't know what to tell you.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2016
    As SleepycatDSL said, they show up in the lot bin because they're on a lot. I downloaded and installed that family to make sure they showed up and this is where they are-

Sims2EP9%202016-05-05%2008-25-06-51_zpszm5xizso.jpg

• shandra2183shandra2183 Posts: 212 Member
    Thanks, but they are not showing up in the lot bin either.
  • LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    @shandra2183
    Which version of Windows are you running?

I followed the link about installing instructions, there is none for Windows 10.
    Custom sims that you install via .sims2packs would show up in the bin in CAS, not the family bin. It isn't possible to package a family that isn't on a lot.

Installing instructions are the same across the board, .package files go in the Downloads folder and .sims2packs get installed via the game installer or Clean Installer. I do know house files get put in the Temp folder by the installer and when you load the game or if in game, you change hoods/load a lot and return to the hood/go to a subhood - they then show up in the Lot Bin.

I'm not using the UC though so I don't know if the path to the my docs/sims 2 folders are the same.
    @LadysimPlayer8 I am using windows 7.
    @SleepycatDSL Thanks for your help, when it comes to packaged lots with families, I am finding that the house is showing up in the lot bin without the family.
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    OK, weirdly, I've been following this thread, but I don't really think I've been paying much attention. Sorry about that. I don't have Windows 10, but I use Windows 7, and I created a couple in the creator thing, and I wasn't ready to put them on a lot (empty or with a house on it), so I physically put them in the people bin. They're there every time I load the game up. After you created them, did you physically go to the people bin and drop them in there? If not, that could be why you can't find them.

Try creating a new family and then when you've "accepted" them, and it goes to the neighborhood screen, try putting them in the bin. Also, make sure that you're in the neighborhood you want to play them in, because I don't think they transfer from neighborhood to neighborhood. The custom couple I made, are in my custom neighborhood people bin. So, maybe the family you're looking for got put into a neighborhood different from where you had intended to play them? Just a thought.
    @SataiDelennn Thanks I will take a look at that!
    You're welcome. I hope you find them!
    @shandra2183
    If you use a packaged Sim or a Sim residing in a lot, they are available to use in any neighbourhood of your choice.
    In the Sims2 game, if you Create-a-Family (or single Sim), after you accept the family and return to the neighbourhood, they can be found in the family bin awaiting you to move them into a lot. These families can only be placed in that neighbourhood until you place them on a lot and then you could package the lot file. This file could be saved to another location for future games e.g. an external drive.

If you use the Body Shop to Create-a-Sim, after creating you save the Sim.
    Go into your game, any neighbourhood, and Create-a-Family.
    After choosing a surname for your family and you are on the next screen of creating/editing the first Sim, in the Saved Sims folder (bottom left of screen), the Sim you created should be there for you to select.
    I think this is where you find them - I confess I haven't made Sims in the Body Shop for over five years since Sims2.com was taken down.
    Hope this helps?
    Good luck! :)
    @shandra2183
    If you use a packaged Sim or a Sim residing in a lot, they are available to use in any neighbourhood of your choice.
    In the Sims2 game, if you Create-a-Family (or single Sim), after you accept the family and return to the neighbourhood, they can be found in the family bin awaiting you to move them into a lot. These families can only be placed in that neighbourhood until you place them on a lot and then you could package the lot file. This file could be saved to another location for future games e.g. an external drive.

If you use the Body Shop to Create-a-Sim, after creating you save the Sim.
    Go into your game, any neighbourhood, and Create-a-Family.
    After choosing a surname for your family and you are on the next screen of creating/editing the first Sim, in the Saved Sims folder (bottom left of screen), the Sim you created should be there for you to select.
    I think this is where you find them - I confess I haven't made Sims in the Body Shop for over five years since Sims2.com was taken down.
    Hope this helps?
    Good luck! :)

Sorry, but that's just not true. In my custom neighborhood, the ONLY Sims available in the People bin are the ones I created. The pre-packaged ones aren't there. Before I created them and put them in the bin, that bin was empty, so the Sims from various neighborhoods pre-packaged in the bin are NOT available in any neighborhood you want to use them in. They're only available for particular neighborhoods.
    Actually LadysimPlayer8 is correct that sims that are packaged on lots and installed (and then show up in the Lot Bin), can be placed in any hood (though doing so without properly cleaning them can cause corruption in your hood).

Sims created in CAS (aka create a family/sim) go into just that neighborhoods Family Bin.

Sims that are made in Bodyshop, are available in the Sim bin (don't recall the exact name) in CAS, in all hoods.
    Actually LadysimPlayer8 is correct that sims that are packaged on lots and installed (and then show up in the Lot Bin), can be placed in any hood (though doing so without properly cleaning them can cause corruption in your hood).

Sims created in CAS (aka create a family/sim) go into just that neighborhoods Family Bin.

Sims that are made in Bodyshop, are available in the Sim bin (don't recall the exact name) in CAS, in all hoods.

I only know that the premade sims in Pleasantview who are in the bin (not a house) when I load the neighborhood do NOT show up in other neighborhoods, and NOTHING but empty lots and empty pre-made houses show up in my custom neighborhoods. The people bin is blank until I fill it.
    edited May 2016
    @SataiDelennn
    At the moment (correct me if I am wrong) you are still playing with the Sims2 base game and University.
    With further expansion packs (Seasons and beyond), Sims are available to be placed in every neighbourhood created.
    For you, in Pleasantview, the Oldies and Burbs are in the Family Bin - if you had the other expansion packs installed, you would find about 10 Sim families intended for the new neighbourhoods but can be placed in every other neighbourhood.
    If you create new neighbourhoods, the only Sims available are the ones you create.
    Post edited by LadysimPlayer8 on
    @SataiDelennn Yes, sims that are not packaged on lots (minus later expansion EA sims), aren't available in any other hood, which is what I said. In LadysimPlayer's previous post she was speaking of packaging sims to use in other hoods and packaged sims (which can be done in Bodyshop for use in CAS).