Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just got sims 2 UC download - please advise

BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
edited May 2016 in The Sims 2
A follow on from my thread "I never got the TS2 closure I needed *update*" http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/885930/i-never-got-the-ts2-closure-i-needed-update#latest

I've chatted with EA and told them the problem, what happened when I tried to re-install from disc and they said they'de never heard of the problem I had before, but they gave me a code for UC and it's in my game library, but please guys and gals, I need your imput:

Due to the problems I've faced with sims 2 before (see other thread) I'm scared as plum to actually download/install/run it in case it happens again. The advisor told me I would need to run it in compatibility mode for XP (not a problem, I did that before) but can you please tell me how this digital UC differs from the disc version -
Is it a more updated version? will it run better on windows 7?
Do I have to launch it like sims 4 - through Origin?
Apart from one version being written onto discs and the other being digital, how else are they different?

Plus I've created a restore point in case anything goes wrong - can you recommend any other safeguards?

Advice would be really, REALLY appreciated; I've missed it so much and it's almost within reach.
Gallery ID: babysquare

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    1. I've got Windows 7 and I don't have to run it in XP compatibility mode. But running it in that mode won't hurt anything.
    2. Differences: It's fully patched. If you were missing any EP or SP, you've now got it as the Ultimate Collection has everything. Since you're not installing the base game and then updating those files, installation is much quicker.
    3. You do not have to launch through Origin. I loaded up Sims 2 a few days ago on my desktop. Origin on my desktop thinks I last loaded the game on October 29, 2015. I've got the game's exe pinned to my task bar. Likely pinned it on October 29, 2015 after launching it from Origin. When I've got no internet, I can play it just fine with no issues.
    4. The installer used for the program is up to date. Disc versions would use the installer used during the time the EP was released. And sometimes the issue is with the installer and not the program itself.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    4. The installer used for the program is up to date. Disc versions would use the installer used during the time the EP was released. And sometimes the issue is with the installer and not the program itself.

This point is particularly of interest; I've had STRANGE issues trying to reinstall from disc and I had wondered if it was the installer rather than the program.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    I have no idea. If you want to try it, try it. No one can really tell you unless they had the exact problem, I believe.

Since you back up your work, since you know how to do a system restore, it shouldn't be a problem. I don't understand what happened to your last install from disk and can't give any good help.

I had problems installing and uninstalling TS2 on disk because they had to be uninstalled in order and all the info was never fully uninstalled. I learned how to manually uninstall in Registry to get it to work.

The Difference now with the UC was I had to not clean the registry of any TS2 because they're not installed the same. So, It's much easier to install and uninstall- in my experience.

It doesn't need Origin to play and I do use a No-CD exe to start the game.
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    The UC has the base game, as well as the stuff packs, expansions, and patches. I run it on Windows 10 without any sort of compatibility mode enabled and just had to change shadows down to medium and increase the resolution. I start my game up right from the shortcut on my desktop.
    Another thing that I want o mention that I've seen confuse some players:
    -The cover art in Origin is the Sims 2 base game
    -The loading screen says Sims 2 Fun with Pets
    -The main menu says Mansion and Garden Stuff
    This is perfectly normal and you do have the ultimate collection when you see these things. I think I've seen some ultimate collection cover art and loading screens around, so you could download those if you really wanted to.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Thatis interesting to note, @Pegasus143 , thank you. Ultimately I don't know what caused the weird windows explorer issues I faced when tying to reinstall from disc; eveyone I spoke to had never encountered the problem before. I don't know whether it was caused by my optical drive (unlikely, I've used it since with no issues), it could have been corrupted discs (2 copies of base game?), the game files themselves or the installer. All I know is if I put the base game disc 1 in my drive I will need to recover the computer back to factory settings, which I do NOT want to do again. I might well be worrying about nothing, but I'm terrified the digital version will have the same or a similar effect, and it's never a bad thing to be cautious.
  • thegummybear13thegummybear13 Posts: 310 Member
    Good luck im very happy for you ! i just recently got to download my uc after having it in my library for over a year so it's all new to me since i haven't played in years.Happy simming :D !
    tumblr_o2lz9mNWaj1sbr6who1_400.gif

• SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    @thegummybear13 I love the playground pic in your sig.
    @thegummybear13 I love the playground pic in your sig.

Thank you it's from the apartment life wikia lol it's awesome

• TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been playing TS2 UC on my Windows 7 laptop for a few monthes now and I've only had issues I always had in the old days though it's better when I can actually install Mods to fix those annoying issues like community lots getting brawls and fights.I've got a Mod to solve that one now.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    I had 1 fight on a lot and that was years ago.It was funny because that's what the humor is for the sims 2.your game sounds bugged

• IzanaminokamiIzanaminokami Posts: 14 New Member
    I finally got through to someone,given a code,try to use that code and it said that it had already been used >.< It's not my day and now the origin launcher won't work.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I use a lot visitor controller to limit the sims allowed to visit a corner store so it dosen't get fights breaking out on the lot anymore.I've got other Mods to help with that issue.I can just send other visitors home and set restrictions on the visitors allowed if anything happened.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    The Sims 2 will work on Windows 7, 8, and 10 without compatibility mode.

This video shows that you can. Note The Sims 2 in the video shows the Black rectangles, that's a graphical glitch with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960.

Only The Sims 3 and The Sims Medieval as of November 12, 2015 and December 2013 respective require Origin sign-in, The Sims 4 also requires it. No Sims 2 game has the Origin sign-in requirement. However, please note that it does still include the activation limit, see this thread for more information
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer