The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Remove images from quotes

VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
edited May 2016 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
I’m sure it has been mentioned in the past, I don’t believe I’m the only one who finds it annoying to scroll over the same pictures over and over and over just because they’re quoted. What I’m asking for is making the [img][/img] tags unparsed when they’re inside [quote][/quote] tags, so while quoting someone who posted images we’ll see [img]imagelink[/img] instead of the actual picture from that link. That or replace them with [url][/url]. It would be much better than seeing the same pictures plenty of times, and if someone wanted to see them they could either follow the link to the original post or to the images themselves.

That feature may or may not be added, so I’m saying to everyone who reads this thread now – if you quote someone posting images, please remove the tags (or the whole link with tags, it’s more convenient because most of the time you’d just remove the whole line). I’m certain I won’t be the only one thankful for that :) I personally always remove them (it might be a habit, years ago I used to be active on a forum where quoting images was forbidden in the rules ;)).
“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
Simblr (my TS2 CC)
MTS Profile

Comments

• MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    Yes, absolutely a great suggestion.

I don't post as often as many so I seldom run into these but I do that with images as a matter of course.. especially in some places where people post a stack of images, and two quotes of that post winds up chewing up the whole page.

What I usually do is along the lines of what you wrote above. I remove a bracket or whatever and the BBCode is broken, the pics won't re-post.

I am wary of tinkering with someone's post when quoting it, but I'm pretty sure that stopping a photo essay from repeating is not the same as editing someone's post in a quote. (On some forums I have seen that done as a joke, swap a few words around but that was between good friends and also in here, it's a ticket to "jail".
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    I always removes images from quotes, unless it's a particular image I'm commenting on but that rarely happens. I do usually add ... when I remove something from a quote. But mostly I just tag people, that's a lot less bothersome than quoting.
    I do agree, quoting of pictures should be limited somehow, as a matter of fact unneccessary quoting happens way too often on these forums, some people don't seem to realise that tagging is as effective if not more so.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    To view the images from quotes is in no way more annoying to me than viewing the gifs or other pics that people use under every post they make.
  • MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited May 2016
    It doesn't mean that those who (and there are a number of them especially in the storytelling threads) who quote other posts that include up to even 5 nearly full-page screen shots (which take a while to load) ought to consider disabling the link to the image when quoting.

As for GIFS.. I never see them. I disabled animations in my browser and "stripped images from signatures". Problem Gone.

However, there is no such option to "strip out" quoted screenshots.

The OP simply asked those who quote such posts to be considerate, just like there is another thread in here asking how to immobilize the GIFs.
  • VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    I also disabled images in signatures, mostly because of GIFs (they’re too distracting for me to read posts comfortably, especially when someone uses phrases/words unfamiliar to me [English isn’t my first language], when I normally focus on reading I can guess their meaning from the context and I can avoid using a dictionary, but being surrounded by GIFs definitely doesn’t help with that ;)). They’re less bothering in posts, because it rarely happens when they’re in consecutive posts (unless they’re quoted :p), so I can scroll the page in the way so I don’t see them.
    As for quoting in general, when someone wrote a long post and I want to refer to it in general I tag that person, and when I want to refer to just a part of the post, I only quote that part and replace the rest with (...). I noticed that it’s quite common to bold the part of the post you’re referring to, but removing the rest seems more space-saving ;) And using bold in quotes doesn’t make sense when the original poster already used bold to emphasise something.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member
    I always do that as well if the post that I'm quoting has more than 3 images. I only keep the ones that I want to refer to.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • SpecterCodySpecterCody Posts: 602 Member
    There are times when you might want to show images in the quote but I agree usually its unecessary and adds to the clutter. Having an option would be good. Gif signatures however are by far the most distracting images on this site and I wish those would be banned.
    There are times when you might want to show images in the quote but I agree usually its unecessary and adds to the clutter. Having an option would be good. Gif signatures however are by far the most distracting images on this site and I wish those would be banned.

Ouch. :confounded:
    832XG3D.gif
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

Indeed.

if gif sigs are banned, then so too should be all image sigs.
    I usually find the static images to be more distracting
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    edited May 2016
    Movotti wrote: »
    DeKay wrote: »

Indeed.

if gif sigs are banned, then so too should be all image sigs.
    I usually find the static images to be more distracting

Agreed. Some gif signatures can get annoying as well if they are flashing and huge, that's why I always try to make mine small and loop well.

I think it's unfair if gif signatures are banned. If a user's sig annoys you, you can simply just tell them or PM them to change it.
    832XG3D.gif
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I agree with the OP but wouldn't it be better for each Forum user to be given the option to see or not see them?

Some people cannot deal with flashing images anyway. ie epileptics. (EA was always including this warning on their game instructions anyway so should have some responsibility to make the option).