The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is becoming ridiculous.

Comments

• BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    They can't just move marketing ahead because you can't cope with waiting a week or two till two weeks before the GP release. Marketing campaigns aren't written on the back of scrap paper, and they have to be translated into several languages on top of that.

Do you ask this kind of special treatment for every cultural product you buy? Do you complain about waiting for movie trailers too? First single releases for upcoming albums? Commercials and episode descriptions for the next season of your favorite TV show (which, yes, you pay for by being an advertising eyeball and subscribing to cable or a streaming service)?

Nobody owes you info for a product you can't even buy yet a week or two earlier than that info is ready for public consumption.

Sometimes I feel like there's a serious desperation for new things to complain about around here. Go for a walk. Get a book out of the library. There's lots of things to do other than sit waiting for someone to market a product at you.

Given The Sims has been following a track record of releasing an EP every 6 months with an SP every 3 months, both announced and revealed well before their release date, I don't see why it's such a mystery to see people impatient like this.

TS4 has no clear schedule of releases, content is revealed, arguably, way too late in advance, and it has a tendency to underwhelm, causing this whole chain to restart itself.

Agreed, :)
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    It's no secret that a huge amount of players are dissatisfied with the long delay of information that is already spreading for nearly three months. In almost every community I go, official or unofficial, as Facebook Groups, Facebook Pages, Fan Sites, Tumblr, I see an extremely large amount of players angry with all this delay that never ends. And in 16 years that follow the community, I've never seen anything like that happen, not in this intensity. Not for a game like The Sims.

For something to be happening in this intensity, after 16 long years, it's because something is really wrong. I'm not saying that dissatisfaction comes only because of the delay in presenting a decently new content, it is hypocritical, because everything is a feeling that is accumulating for a long time, either because of resources that belong to game base which are still missing, or because of toddlers.

As much as there are people who are quiet with this situation, the most potential patients, do not think it's right that close their eyes to a more than significant number of people who are not happy. After all, these people have every reason not to be happy.

I have every right to complain about the delay in the release of new information about a product that I follow and buy for more than 16 years. And what I do or not in my personal life is no one's business. If the dissatisfaction was established to point the players are angered by the lack of information, the reasons for this are much greater than the simple lack of communication.

And NO ONE has the right to reduce dissatisfaction of another person, because each has its reasons. Want to close your eyes to what is happening in the community? Feel free to. We will not stop complaining and we will continue to create many, many topics about the lack of toddlers, on cars, on key improvements, lack of informations, and we will not stop until we get everything we expect from a real game The Sims.

If this is going to result or not, I do not know. But we will not stop the same way.

Amen, :)
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited May 2016
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    I agree 100%. Idk why people suddenly decide that those of us who are disgruntled want them to release an EP every month and tell us what they're doing for the entire year...we just want some news, maybe like how it's coming along, a little bit more info on what'll be like, etc.

And I'm just talking about the next GP, the SP is probably over a month away still so I can wait, but the GP is likely going to be released this month and all we know is the theme, some objects/food, and CAS stuff based on the teaser. If it weren't for the Guru posting the screenshot we wouldn't have even known that we could run a restaurant. I just want some hints or news that tell us how it works or any other features, and not the hastag game hints that will probably go unsolved.

You hang around the same forums I do, right? Just last night there was a thread insisting (basically) that they be informed of everything to come for 6 months in advance at least, full live broadcast, little pictures, maybe a demo. Where, perhaps, do people get the impression that they want months of news in advance?

The theme is a lot more than what we knew before, and somewhat ironically, what people said they'd be happy knowing until it was announced. Theme and approximate point of release, so that they'd have time to save up to buy. Even more ironically still, even knowing that, having received that, yet knowing (I do, so it stands to sense others do too) that they're not going to say anything more until announcement of each pack, here we are demanding news.

They've said all they're saying on toddlers. They have no news on them to impart, but they won't rule them out, so here we are.

Unless you're informed otherwise, just assume all is well, that if there's anything to tell us, they'll tell us. They're not going to say anything else about it. It's that simple.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    They can't just move marketing ahead because you can't cope with waiting a week or two till two weeks before the GP release. Marketing campaigns aren't written on the back of scrap paper, and they have to be translated into several languages on top of that.

Do you ask this kind of special treatment for every cultural product you buy? Do you complain about waiting for movie trailers too? First single releases for upcoming albums? Commercials and episode descriptions for the next season of your favorite TV show (which, yes, you pay for by being an advertising eyeball and subscribing to cable or a streaming service)?

Nobody owes you info for a product you can't even buy yet a week or two earlier than that info is ready for public consumption.

Sometimes I feel like there's a serious desperation for new things to complain about around here. Go for a walk. Get a book out of the library. There's lots of things to do other than sit waiting for someone to market a product at you.

Well said :smile:

The devs do not owe anyone anything except maybe bug fixes and I am sick of this 'I want this in my game and want it right now' attitude which is getting beyond tiresome now
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    To7m wrote: »
    Actually, no, I don't think it's that's simple. What gives them the right to do what they're doing? Ok, nobody is holding a gun to my head to buy anything but do they WANT me to buy anything? Be excited about anything? Actually want to PLEASE their fans? I'm not just going to sit back and wait, wait, wait. I want to know if it's worth my time. I don't want a release date for toddler but I DO want to know what the stitch is. I don't want to know the names of every pack coming out. I can guess they're all going to be SP/GP and EP's anyway. But I DO want a bit more than a 15second video. I want to see some passion from this team. What happened to getting involved with your players? Finding out what they love?

I see none of that here. Just the odd gif to sting people along...

--T

It's their game. They can do what they want. If they want to tell us everything to come for months in advance or nothing until the pack drop, that's entirely up to them. We don't get the right to tell them what to do. Pleasing us is incidental. You don't have to buy or to like it, but if they've decided not to tell anybody anything, then you don't have much choice but to wait, wait, wait. Or drive yourself and others round the bend trying to get them to talk.

What you want and what you get are two different things.

How do you know whether they're passionate or not?

Again, pleasing us is incidental. They'll do what they're doing regardless of what we want or not.

• NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    @To7m is it a case of being frustrated at the lack of toddlers etc that has you feeling this way rather than the actual waiting for the next new pack to arrive?
    I'm curious because, like someone mentioned, I see this frustration everywhere around TS4 and it seems like it stems more from the silence surrounding 'missing features' rather that up-coming packs. I mean we know the themes of the game play coming our way this quarter so for me the wait is kind of 'exciting'. As in I'm keen to see what they do but I'm not getting on any hype train or daydreaming about features as usually fans shoot for the sky only to be disappointed as daydreams and reality (budgets, resources, time constraints, etc) don't usually match.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • ShearsyShearsy Posts: 727 Member
    You know what I would love from EA... if they let us pick a design concept to turn into an item to go into a GP or EP. They show a few ideas and ask us to pick. If they done those little things, let the sims community have a little say in what goes into the games they buy... it would defiantly make me a happy player anyway.

They done it before with little things to go in patches, that was quite fun.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    @To7m is it a case of being frustrated at the lack of toddlers etc that has you feeling this way rather than the actual waiting for the next new pack to arrive?
    I'm curious because, like someone mentioned, I see this frustration everywhere around TS4 and it seems like it stems more from the silence surrounding 'missing features' rather that up-coming packs. I mean we know the themes of the game play coming our way this quarter so for me the wait is kind of 'exciting'. As in I'm keen to see what they do but I'm not getting on any hype train or daydreaming about features as usually fans shoot for the sky only to be disappointed as daydreams and reality (budgets, resources, time constraints, etc) don't usually match.

For me it's a combination. I'd love to know if/when features I miss will make a comeback......things like supernaturals or less linear play. I'd also like to know if upcoming projects will finally excite me. So far none of the EPs or packs have knocked my socks off. I'd adore getting excited about this game. Oh....and one more thing..... I'd love to have someone talk about what "bugs" can and can't be fixed.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • fairymama47fairymama47 Posts: 180 Member
    I remember playing sims 1 and 2 and the info about upcoming releases was always well in advance of the actual release. They even tucked in little pamphlets in the boxes upon purchase that had previews of upcoming expansion packs. We all knew what was coming and could give input during development...it was fantastic. Everyone shared info on the forums and allowing us the information created a huge surge of anticipation and excitement. All of the fans were eager to save up and purchase the next pack because we knew exactly what was coming. Now I wait and wait and wait and then I wait for the expansion to hit so that I can read what players actually think and then, more often than not I save my money until the pack or expansion goes on sale or choose not to purchase at all. Its a very different experience from what it used to be.
    @PHOEBESMOM601 yes. I have an underlying sense of frustration over the 'missing features'. Mostly toddlers actually. I can usually push that away but when it gets combined with nerfing of a feature I love... well then it tips over to real frustration and sometimes a bit of anger too, if I'm honest.
    I can understand simmers being frustrated over different elements as for me it is the nerfing of alien abduction rates resulting in pregnancy and auto woohoo that gutted me. Combine that with 'missing features' and various game bugs = rage quit for a while.

It becomes difficult to separate the issues as I too would love for the next packs to be utterly amazing... but I think that our expectations are firmly set in the 'old sims games' and just are not going to be met with this iteration.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member

Lack of toddlers is a big deal to me. You cannot base a game on life and remove some of it. It's not logical in any sense. Then not saying ANYTHING about them? I'm not talking release dates. I'm just talking addressing the issue. Being upfront and honest with the fans.

I don't think that's too much to ask. Do you?

--T
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Arletta wrote: »
    Actually, no, I don't think it's that's simple. What gives them the right to do what they're doing? Ok, nobody is holding a gun to my head to buy anything but do they WANT me to buy anything? Be excited about anything? Actually want to PLEASE their fans? I'm not just going to sit back and wait, wait, wait. I want to know if it's worth my time. I don't want a release date for toddler but I DO want to know what the stitch is. I don't want to know the names of every pack coming out. I can guess they're all going to be SP/GP and EP's anyway. But I DO want a bit more than a 15second video. I want to see some passion from this team. What happened to getting involved with your players? Finding out what they love?

--T

It's their game. They can do what they want. If they want to tell us everything to come for months in advance or nothing until the pack drop, that's entirely up to them. We don't get the right to tell them what to do. Pleasing us is incidental. You don't have to buy or to like it, but if they've decided not to tell anybody anything, then you don't have much choice but to wait, wait, wait. Or drive yourself and others round the bend trying to get them to talk.

Again, pleasing us is incidental. They'll do what they're doing regardless of what we want or not.

Yes pleasing the customer is incidental. And incidental means.....accompanying but not a major part of something or liable to happen as a consequence of (an activity).

However their "incidental" turns into my "optional" about opening my wallet and optional means available to be chosen but not obligatory.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Arletta wrote: »

--T

It's not the developer's game, no. It's EA's property. Customers have the right to request more content, and give their feedback on the rate at which they are receiving content, the form they are receiving content in, etc. Customers pay 100s and 100s of dollars throughout the duration of each Sims game, and at the very least, they deserve to have a voice without somebody, with just as much right as they do, dismissing them. As I recall, you gave feedback on a thread asking for a store in TS4, correct? This user has just as much right as you to give their feedback on content, just as you did..

I didn't say anybody hadn't a right to request anything. Please point out where I said he shouldn't ask. Also show me the rules I'm breaking by mentioning that he's not going to get what he's requesting. Then please point out where you get the right to tell me to go away.

Lack of toddlers is a big deal to me. You cannot base a game on life and remove some of it. It's not logical in any sense. Then not saying ANYTHING about them? I'm not talking release dates. I'm just talking addressing the issue. Being upfront and honest with the fans.

--T

Agreed. Regardless of toddlers being a niche market etc etc. It doesn't really wash for me. I'm not a family player, I've said that often, but missing toddlers is a huge minus for me. The trouble with EA being upfront about toddlers is they could never come out looking good as well as breaching all sorts of tax laws apparently that, being a New Zealander, I don't really understand. I agree with you though, it's not too much to expect, it is, however, too much to get as EA will never openly discuss what is actually going on.

Just putting aside all privacy/tax/whatever issues... how would the convo go? We didn't include toddlers cos we didn't have the money/thought we'd sell them back to the niche market later and make a huge profit appeasing the share holders/thought the fans would swallow it/ thought no one would notice... idk.. *shrug* I really don't know.

• To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited May 2016

--T

Agreed. Regardless of toddlers being a niche market etc etc. It doesn't really wash for me. I'm not a family player, I've said that often, but missing toddlers is a huge minus for me. The trouble with EA being upfront about toddlers is they could never come out looking good as well as breaching all sorts of tax laws apparently that, being a New Zealander, I don't really understand. I agree with you though, it's not too much to expect, it is, however, too much to get as EA will never openly discuss what is actually going on.

Just putting aside all privacy/tax/whatever issues... how would the convo go? We didn't include toddlers cos we didn't have the money/thought we'd sell them back to the niche market later and make a huge profit appeasing the share holders/thought the fans would swallow it/ thought no one would notice... idk.. *shrug* I really don't know.

I'm not even asking for an explanation. Ok, for whatever reason they couldn't included toddlers. But will they ever? Or at the very least, address the issue and say it could be a possibility. I'm not asking for promises. I'm just asking where I stand.

That's all.

--T

ETA: Had to giggle at "no one would notice"... You're probably right!
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I want to know what's going on. I want more information on the upcoming GP+SP. I want to know where this game is heading and I want to know about toddlers.

Your company is providing a service here, and if you want to continue to receive my money for said service then somebody needs to start talking and start wowing me. This is getting old and I want to know its even worth my time any more!

I don't not know of any other game that I play where I do not know at least* what to expect in the near future that's not 15seconds long...

Thanks.

--T

*Typo

Wait and see and wait patiently like the rest of us. And remember that many of us DON'T want toddlers.

--T

I'm not even asking for an explanation. Ok, for whatever reason they couldn't included toddlers. But will they ever? Or at the very least, address the issue and say it could be a possibility. I'm not asking for promises. I'm just asking where I stand.

That's all.

--T

ETA: Had to giggle at "no one would notice"... You're probably right!

LOL... ikr but I bet someone at EA said that in a board meeting! :D

I really agree with you To7m, but it will just never happen. If they are making toddlers, they can't tell us cos of all those 'rules an laws' and stuff. And if they are not.. well, they won't say because I guess a lot of fans would rage quit forever. My gut reaction is that toddlers will make it back into the game at some point but it would be soooo nice to know one way or another from someone official.

edited May 2016
    I want to know what's going on. I want more information on the upcoming GP+SP. I want to know where this game is heading and I want to know about toddlers.

Your company is providing a service here, and if you want to continue to receive my money for said service then somebody needs to start talking and start wowing me. This is getting old and I want to know its even worth my time any more!

I don't not know of any other game that I play where I do not know at least* what to expect in the near future that's not 15seconds long...

Thanks.

--T

*Typo

Wait and see and wait patiently like the rest of us. And remember that many of us DON'T want toddlers.

I really don't understand that. I hate playing families generally but I still really miss toddlers. Wasn't the age up option enough? (I'm not being mean btw, I am just really curious).

*edit: forgot the word *up* (age up) :s