Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Install Lots (.Sims2Pack Files)

Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
I am having some trouble installing lots, from a .Sims2Pack file. I've watched a few tutorials, and once the file is extracted, it's double clicked and The Sims 2 Installer pops up OR the person is using Sims2pack clean installer. After I extract the file using WinRAR, it doesn't look like what I've seen in the video with an icon. It's just a white file with the .sims2pack extension. I double click it and the File Association Helper menu pops up.
The installer isn't coming up at all. I went to the Origin games/The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection/Fun With Pets/SP9/CSbin & the Package Installer is there, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

When I used to play this game when it was first out, I never downloaded any custom lots, so this is brand new. If anyone can provide some insight that would be great :smile:

Comments

• LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    @Sha2520032003
    I don't have Windows 10 or the Ultimate Collection, but the package file for any lot in 'posted' to your lots and houses bin to use.
    I don't think I have noticed it in any of my Sims2 files; but then again, after I have used a packaged lot, I delete it from the lots and houses bin.
    Go into your game and check if it is actually there for use?
  • SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    @Sha2520032003 Does the file association helper menu have a browse so you can point it to the right program?

Personally I would never use the EA installer since Clean Installer is much safer but too each their own. :wink:
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @SleepycatDSL It does but it's not allowing me to point it to the right program. I've heard that Clean Installer is better and much safer to use. However, I tried to download it and Norton is automatically removing it with a notification that it's 'unsafe'.

I appreciate your feedback. I'm new to all of this, so not really sure what I'm doing, to be honest. Installing CC is much easier with TS3 & TS4 it seems
    @LadysimPlayer8 Thanks for the feedback.
    You could turn Norton off till after you get it installed. Norton probably has an issue with it just because it is an .exe file.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Did you get clean installer from MTS or some random website? Clean installer is 100% safe from MTS.

And yes, you have to point the file to the correct program. You can right click the file and select Properties. Then on the window that opens, click Change to select the program you want to use to open it.

Correct address for clean installer: https://sims2pack.modthesims2.com
    P.S. If Norton is removing it as unsafe, meaning placing it in quarantine, DO NOT INSTALL IT! That means it's probably actually unsafe and best to not take a chance.

Download it from the link I gave you. If it still does that, then it might just be an overprotective antivirus. But don't install unless you got it from the link I gave you.
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    P.S. If Norton is removing it as unsafe, meaning placing it in quarantine, DO NOT INSTALL IT! That means it's probably actually unsafe and best to not take a chance.

Download it from the link I gave you. If it still does that, then it might just be an overprotective antivirus. But don't install unless you got it from the link I gave you.

Not necessarily. Norton's is notorious for finding false positives. I refuse to use it on my system. I use AVG instead. The funniest moment for me was when I disabled Norton's for the first time and installed another anti-virus program (might have been Avast, I can't remember), and I ran the program. It attacked the disabled Norton's and claimed that NORTON'S was a virus!
    @SataiDelennn
    Before installing an anti-virus programme, any previous installed anti-virus programmes should be removed and not disabled, followed by re-starting your computer. I know I received a prompt to do this as my computer had pre-installed Norton.
    Going back twelve or so years ago, AVG allowed me to install their free anti-virus ware even though I had an anti-virus programme installed - so therein lies the problem.
    It is not recommended that computers have two anti-virus programmes installed - try googling the web for more information.
    @SataiDelennn
    Before installing an anti-virus programme, any previous installed anti-virus programmes should be removed and not disabled, followed by re-starting your computer. I know I received a prompt to do this as my computer had pre-installed Norton.
    Going back twelve or so years ago, AVG allowed me to install their free anti-virus ware even though I had an anti-virus programme installed - so therein lies the problem.
    It is not recommended that computers have two anti-virus programmes installed - try googling the web for more information.

I did that YEARS ago. I'm just saying, that's what happened when my current anti-virus program did its first scan. I am WELL AWARE of what can happen if you try and use more than one anti-virus program.
    I wouldn't let Norton anywhere near my computers now. I use avast! instead. I think it was Norton (could have been another) that wouldn't let me install zoo tycoon many years ago, claimed the .exe (disc install) was a virus. *rolls eyes* I had to turn it off and then set it to never look at the zoo tycoon files when scanning, after finally getting zoo tycoon installed. The point is that yes, sometimes anti-virus programs are stupid.
    I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the Package Installer. The lots I wanted installed correctly.
    Thanks to everyone for all the feedback! I really appreciate it.
    @SataiDelennn
    My point is I wouldn't use AVG; it does not alert you to any other anti-virus programme installed and ask you to remove it.
    I hope you are WELL AWARE of what can happen if you try and use more than one anti-virus programme.

@Sha2520032003
    Glad to read that your problem is resolved. :)
    I wouldn't let Norton anywhere near my computers now. I use avast! instead. I think it was Norton (could have been another) that wouldn't let me install zoo tycoon many years ago, claimed the .exe (disc install) was a virus. *rolls eyes* I had to turn it off and then set it to never look at the zoo tycoon files when scanning, after finally getting zoo tycoon installed. The point is that yes, sometimes anti-virus programs are stupid.

Back when I lived in Germany, I bought a game called Singles. Well, it was actually riddled with malware. Norton did detect it and remove it, thankfully.

I haven't used norton in ages, probably since the early 2000's. I use malwarebytes to scan what I download or executables. I've actually been burned with some sims software before. People who reupload something and stick in their malicious code. So...I'm pretty careful about that.
    @SataiDelennn
    My point is I wouldn't use AVG; it does not alert you to any other anti-virus programme installed and ask you to remove it.
    I hope you are WELL AWARE of what can happen if you try and use more than one anti-virus programme.

@Sha2520032003
    Glad to read that your problem is resolved. :)

Yes, I am well aware of what can happen, which is why I don't use Norton's and wouldn't touch it with a fifty-foot pole. AVG has caught quite a few viruses and disabled them over the years just fine. I used Avast until Avast started having problems which is why I switched to AVG. Never had an issue since.
  • kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    edited January 2019
    I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the Package Installer. The lots I wanted installed correctly.
    Thanks to everyone for all the feedback! I really appreciate it.

@Sha2520032003 How did you fix it? I am having this same issue.
  • Scarlett2020Scarlett2020 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Sha2520032003 said:
    > I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the Package Installer. The lots I wanted installed correctly.
    > Thanks to everyone for all the feedback! I really appreciate it.

Please say how (if u r still around). I know it's dead, but we didn't got an answer and I can't find help anywhere else.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    > @Sha2520032003 said:
    > I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the Package Installer. The lots I wanted installed correctly.
    > Thanks to everyone for all the feedback! I really appreciate it.

Please say how (if u r still around). I know it's dead, but we didn't got an answer and I can't find help anywhere else.

Hi :)
    Have you downloaded and installed the Clean Installer?
    http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/index.php?page=8