The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• MeTime85MeTime85 Posts: 142 Member
    So I've started this challenge. I have a few questions though: Is the woodworking table an option just to gain the handiness skill for the prehistoric era? And is it ok for us to populate the world and other worlds with our own sims? I only want my sims to have friends of the era at hand, until I move to the next era. That's all. I'm enjoying this challenge so far. The only mistakes I've made so far is I forgot to turn aging on for the first few hours, and I forgot to add up their funds for the first two days. But the last mistake was ok, since whatever they collected stayed in their inventories until I sold the stuff on the third day.
    For-forum.jpg
  • CloudseekerCloudseeker Posts: 353 Member
    @MeTime85 The woodworking table is there for the handiness skill, for earning simoleons toward goals, and to allow Sims to create and use objects they normally couldn't. As for populating the worlds, that's completely fine. Just maybe don't add a sim with all skills maxed and later move them into your household :)
    34in38k.png
  • Zoey95Zoey95 Posts: 1,549 Member
    edited May 2016
    What are the rules for hiring a maid or gardener?

And does anyone have advice for getting a sim very inspired in the Early Civilization era to write a best seller?
    Zoey95 wrote: »
    No rules (yet), so just do what you feel is appropriate for now :)
    34in38k.png
    edited May 2016
    No rules (yet), so just do what you feel is appropriate for now :)

@Cloudseeker Thanks! They are rather wealthy, so I think they can afford servants. My founder sim just died in my game. The first one is always hardest *_*
  • Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    I love this challenge and my family, but MAN are they hot messes. The prehistoric era is a killer. These guys make me want to cry with how inept they are at taking care of their needs. LOL!
    edited May 2016
    The easel may only be used to paint Classic, Landscape and From Reference paintings during this Era.

@Cloudseeker I may have missed it, but when can we can we start painting other options? I'm having trouble getting my writer sim "very inspired" as many of the options to help with that are off limits (on the computer). I was wondering if using decor might help. So far he's written 5 "excellent" books. He's at Level 10 in writing, I have him writing in the same genre and he bought the Creative Visionary reward.

ETA: Nevermind, I just found out there isn't an inspired painting LOL
    Post edited by Zoey95 on
    @Zoey95 I believe there's some other inspired decor that can be found (other than the ones you get from the Painter career), but I'm not sure.

The restrictions on the types of paintings you can paint only apply during the Prehistoric Era, after that it's up to what you feel is appropriate.
    34in38k.png
    @Cloudseeker I finally managed to get my sim very inspired. Strangely enough it was the addition of eating fresh produce and lighting the incense that did it. Hopefully he'll churn out those best sellers before the Grim arrives for him. I do have a question tho... the rules say -
    You progress to the next Era when a new generation is born, i.e. when the child who began the Era (or one of their siblings) has a child.

Does that apply also if the firstborn leaves the challenge household and gives birth in another household? The firstborn of my EC family is a female and I'm using premise of a rising patriarchal society and male heirs. Therefore she will not inherit the home and carry on the family name. I'm wondering if she needs to remain barren until the heir gives birth or perhaps her children (born outside my active household) would not trigger the next Era? Does that make sense at all? LOL
    @Zoey95 Sims that leave the household completely are considered out of the challenge so no, her children would not cause you to switch Era.
    34in38k.png
    Has anyone managed to get gold status on an Early Civilization house party without a stereo/music or a bar/drinks?
  • NicknellFamilyNicknellFamily Posts: 57 Member
    I did...but I felt very lucky.
    Thank you all for helping me to "Own the Store"! It was a great adventure.
  • Lenei14Lenei14 Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited May 2016
    So poppin in after forever, I had my test save a few months ago but got off this challenge cause I have like a million sims 3 projects. Anyway I'm in a ts4 mode now and finally setup a blog for this challenge. I did amend the rules to fit my style gameplay though so idk how much you'd consider me a participant but my blog for it is sims4society. Gonna go through and see who I am not already following that's joined here in a little bit once I get some housework done. ^.^ Happy simming all.

edit: forgot to add, I follow from my main blog NovaPark so if you're on tumblr and you get a random follow from that name it's me.
    Post edited by Lenei14 on
    I did...but I felt very lucky.

@NicknellFamily That's what I'm worried about. So far every party has called for one or the other. I'll give it a few more goes before the next era. Thanks for the info, at least I know it's possible :)
    Lenei14 wrote: »
    So poppin in after forever, I had my test save a few months ago but got off this challenge cause I have like a million sims 3 projects. Anyway I'm in a ts4 mode now and finally setup a blog for this challenge. I did amend the rules to fit my style gameplay though so idk how much you'd consider me a participant but my blog for it is sims4society. Gonna go through and see who I am not already following that's joined here in a little bit once I get some housework done. ^.^ Happy simming all.

edit: forgot to add, I follow from my main blog NovaPark so if you're on tumblr and you get a random follow from that name it's me.

@Lenei14 Yay! I took a look at your story, it looks awesome. Will you be starting a thread on here?
    @Lenei14 Awesome! Would you like me to add it to the main post?

And to all others: After months of endlessly bashing my head against the Wall of Unmotivation, trying to force myself to work on that major update I have planned but getting nowhere, I decided to officially take a break. Work on some other projects and focus my mind elsewhere, so that I can refresh my energies and come back strong. I will still read the thread and note down feedback and suggestions, and use it when I eventually get back to working on the challenge :)

So, in other words, I have not abandoned this (in case anyone was worried), this is just how I work :)
    34in38k.png
  • Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member

And to all others: After months of endlessly bashing my head against the Wall of Unmotivation, trying to force myself to work on that major update I have planned but getting nowhere, I decided to officially take a break. Work on some other projects and focus my mind elsewhere, so that I can refresh my energies and come back strong. I will still read the thread and note down feedback and suggestions, and use it when I eventually get back to working on the challenge :)

So, in other words, I have not abandoned this (in case anyone was worried), this is just how I work :)

Do what you gotta do to refresh yourself :)
    It's much better to admit you've hit a wall and walk away then try to force something. We will all be here plowing away through the ages ;)
    I am almost to the Early Civilization era and I am SOHAPPY (that prehistoric era was killing me - all my simmies are dummies! LOL)

@Cloudseeker I hear you, I've just hit the Wall of Unmotivation in my "regular" writing (novels). Take a step back and do something that is fun for you :) Gameplay wise I am nearing the end of the Early Civilization. I will give you feedback once I am complete. And I'll still pepper you with silly questions now and again to keep you on your toes LOL
  • Simsrocks0610Simsrocks0610 Posts: 7 New Member
    Can you have a birthday party in the prehistoric era? Its probably in the rules I just keep missing it :wink::blush: I am really enjoying this challenge a lot! I was worried it would get repetitive but it hasn't yet! If someone could help me with my question I would greatly appreciate it!!! Thank you for the great challenge !! :D
    Can you have a birthday party in the prehistoric era?
    It is not disallowed, so it's up to you. However, you won't be able to complete the main goal (blowing out the candles) and multiple other goals, so you will not be able to get gold medals.
    34in38k.png
  • agoanstendagoanstend Posts: 13 New Member
    i have tried to do this so many times,such complex but yet it looks so cool...
    I probably just missed this the last 8 times i read it to play it then dosent play it,but still,how often dose 1 era take to start?
    agoanstend wrote: »
    I probably just missed this the last 8 times i read it to play it then dosent play it,but still,how often dose 1 era take to start?
    ok,nevermind i found it i think... Lol...
    first baby(s) of the sim challenge,There twins! A girl And a boy,The founders at this point are starving and cant make ends meet almost.
    female founder died of starvation,But the male founder can still keep care of the babys until they are teenagers+,Just a setback.....
  • Lenei14Lenei14 Posts: 1,272 Member

Oh sure! I tend to do a batch or two on there a week. ^.^ I'm probably going to play this save today and try to get another bundle up. I've played almost through the first generation but I'm slow to update sometimes. hah.

@Lenei14 Yay! I took a look at your story, it looks awesome. Will you be starting a thread on here?

Thanks! Probably not, it's honestly contained a fair amount of general nudity so far and some of it would be difficult to edit for here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top