Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is a vent - regarding forced patches

I'm sure someone before me has grumbled about this already and I probably missed it.

Stop forcing us to update if we don't want to update!

I am not interested in having the tragic clown back in my sims game, I had happily avoided the clown in past versions. But now thanks to how plummed up ea/maxis/origin has made everything in terms of s4 I now have a $70+ s4 base game I can't play unless I install the newest plummed patch!

What happened to the player being in control of the game?!?

My game is not broken, I'm not buying added content that would require the newer patches, so I and other players should not be forced to patch if we don't want to! Especially as most of the current patches really don't do much for vanilla base game copies of s4.

Ea/maxis/origin needs to let players decide if they want the newest patch or not.

Yes I get that it's an option to play as a clown, I don't even want the costume in cas, or view the painting and have a random townie* show up as the clown.

*Seriously a random townie, was it really "to hard" to code an npc tragic clown, which is what the original tragic clown was. That someone on the program team or in management thought it was best to pull a townie. Yes, I'm glaring at the lameness of that bit of coding when I, as well as other simmers, know that better coding is possible, and that per the March patch, plus the patches that have returned gardeners & repair persons to the game it is possible to code new npc's for the game.

As to the list of fixes in the patch notes, none of them are problems I have encountered in game, and to top it off they still haven't addressed the problem of sims sitting down to pick up and put away books. :s

Ea/maxis/origin you want my money then stop acting like dictatorial 🐸🐸🐸🐸 hats!

sincerely,
one majorly plummed off simmer
Peace, GranMama Dragon
Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
Save Game Often
repair & clear caches Often
S3 Studio
S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
Behrooz
S2/3/4 Randomnes

Comments

• MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Thanks @Cinebar

Interesting, I posted under feedback & ideas as that's where grumpy vent type posts usually end up and a moderator moved the post to general discussion. Not the usual move when trying to bury a post moderators ;)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2016
    @jsn, that won't help because we do need bugs fixed but they come with new content or changing base game content like the never weary trait, or they come with something some people don't want. You can't install a new EP or SP (I can't) if there is a patch that is needed to fix bugs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited April 2016
    Lol. This is why I left the game. Most of the stuff they added in the patches ruined my gameplay rather than enhanced it. It is what it is. Every month. I got tired of being disappointed and upset by content I never wanted nor asked for and lost functionality I enjoyed.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I'd like physical discs and not be tied to Origin but I don't think I'm going to get that.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Broncos4lifeBroncos4life Posts: 11,798 Member
    I really would not have to update either. If it's fixing a bug or something, then I would want to update, but I really don't care about the clown. It also makes you go and allow CC and I think you have to restart the game as well.
    Do you like solving a mystery? Come join a mafia game!
    Link: here!

71t7p4hX88L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    while my game hasn't been ruined yet, I agree, because I have a feeling that one day they're going to force toddlers on me and I'll uninstall The Sims 4 in response. The holiday stuff was optional, so why not to treat every actual content update like that?
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn , depending on how you feel about mods, MC command center has options to stop the clown spawning randomly, as well as options to blacklist clown(and any other) clothes so game-generated townies won't we wearing them. I know how you feel as I HATE the clown as much as you do. :)
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • CrazyboutTheSimsCrazyboutTheSims Posts: 2,739 Member
    I don't mind updates except when it contains items I don't want in my game such as clowns and the unisex cas.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    i fully disagree with everyone the updates are not force they are a major part of improuving the game you need to accept the patch and move on

showerwoohoo_zps6arox1ku.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQfzwFloVqA
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • monkeypants1monkeypants1 Posts: 320 Member
    I would expect that there's a technical reason why they don't let players cherry pick the patches and updates they want. I don't know of any game that does regular patches and updates that allows players to choose which one they want.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I don't mind updates except when it contains items I don't want in my game such as clowns and the unisex cas.
    I agree I don't want that either. I rather have a choice what I have in my game plus as it is right now you can't play the game unless you have the patch so that is being forced in my opinion.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    If you go into offline mode in Origin, it wont force you to update and you can play you game in peace.
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I would expect that there's a technical reason why they don't let players cherry pick the patches and updates they want. I don't know of any game that does regular patches and updates that allows players to choose which one they want.
    Yeah, the only way they'd be able to do this I think is if they were to make multiple patches that you pick, like one with just bug fixes and one with the bug fixes+content (Tragic Clown, Klepto trait, etc). Or make mini packs for free with the stuff that came in updates? Either way I think it'd be pretty convoluted lol
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    I also HATE the forced patches. :s
    I also think we should have the option to add items IF we want them, not bundled in patch.

It's like having a closet full of clothing you know you will never wear. :p
    Excessive stuff in game, especially when not wanted, will eventually lag it down.

i fully disagree with everyone the updates are not force they are a major part of improuving the game you need to accept the patch and move on
    Patches ARE forced, especially when adding new DLC content.
    Patches sometimes break parts of game, or remove, rather than improve.

I will not "accept and move on", since "I paid for my game", not you, and I will feel however way I want to.

The same way you comment you don't want certain things in game (that others do) or want washers & dryers, (while some others don't)...

Offline in Origin actually didn't let me play, (despite the claim it does).
    I have automatic sign-in, which saves my info, but it still didn't work for me.
    (found this out when internet was off for a few days, and I tried to play, months ago).

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited April 2016
    The workaround is to shut off your internet. You don't have to update and you can play. I did that ages ago.

Edited to add - internet needs to be completely off, as in, not connected at all. No internet access to the computer. Then origin will allow you to play.
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member

showerwoohoo_zps6arox1ku.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQfzwFloVqA

I'm only liking this post because after you watch your little video it suggests a Tim Minchin video. And he is a BAMF. Please continue regular discussion.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    This has to be the first time I've ever heard someone complain about patches, lol. Only in this community will it go that far. :D Other than I guess some random chance of the clown spawning on retail lots, has there ever been any free content in this game that you can't easily ignore? Don't need dishwashers or pools, for example.

There are things in packs I've bought that I don't have any interest in using, lol. But it's not difficult to ignore. I'd rather have more stuff I never use, (or might want to use later down the road) than less. Especially when it's free.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited April 2016
    This has to be the first time I've ever heard someone complain about patches, lol. Only in this community will it go that far. :D Other than I guess some random chance of the clown spawning on retail lots, has there ever been any free content in this game that you can't easily ignore? Don't need dishwashers or pools, for example.

There are things in packs I've bought that I don't have any interest in using, lol. But it's not difficult to ignore. I'd rather have more stuff I never use, (or might want to use later down the road) than less. Especially when it's free.

There are things you can't ignore, but since I've already covered it in the past, I'm not going to bother bringing it up again.

Turning origin to go offline does not bypass the mandatory patches. Only disconnecting your internet works as someone else already said. This is not an acceptable solution to many people for many different reasons.

Now. For the real reason I posted. What the heck is unisex CAS?
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    kremesch73 wrote: »

There are things you can't ignore, but since I've already covered it in the past, I'm not going to bother bringing it up again.

Turning origin to go offline does not bypass the mandatory patches. Only disconnecting your internet works as someone else already said. This is not an acceptable solution to many people for many reasons.

Now. For the real reason I posted. What the heck is unisex CAS?

Something bad....at least imo.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/885769/unisex-cas#latest
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

I'd agree with this mentality for every other game but this one.

The reason being that they don't just add stuff, they also change the fundamentals of the game. For example, early on players complained that the career goals were too specific. So they changed it. But what happened to the peoples games that liked it the way it was? They didn't get the choice to not update. Then they changed the purchased traits because they took the "time management" out of the game. There were some TS4 defenders that got ticked about that and abandoned the game.

So you see...its one thing to add content, but another entirely to change the core features someone is actively playing with.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited April 2016

Even I've complained about the enforced patches. With TS3, I always used to wait until what the patches had broken were known before I patched, unless it was the patch that was needed for the next pack. I do dislike being forced to patch. They're unavoidable, so far as I know. It won't stop me playing, but it doesn't stop me disliking it.

An an FYI: I dislike them mostly because they seem to enjoy making me have to repair my game to make them install.