Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the Sims 2 an open world?

2...Next

Comments

• WonderstruckkWonderstruckk Posts: 195 Member
    I know most people have already commented, but no, TS2 is not an open world. I haven't played TS4 so I can't comment on that but I can tell you differences between TS2 and TS3

The Sims 3

Sims can walk, bike, drive, etc anywhere. If you want to visit your neighbors, you can walk across the street and visit them
    No loading screens
    The game plays without you (See my explanation for this below)
    You can follow your Sims to work, even though you can't go inside

The Sims 2

You pretty much have no neighbors unless you have Apartment Life that you can visit or can visit you
    Loading screens each time you visit a lot
    Can't go over to friends houses/parties
    Game does not continue on without you, meaning that whatever family you play is the one that grows. For example, if you marry and move out a Sim who had a baby, the child will not grow and no one else will either unless you play them. So your active Sim could grow to be an elder and then their child they moved out will still be a baby because you're not playing it. In TS3, everyone ages with each other.
    anigif_enhanced-25237-1426197588-11_preview.gif
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    No, I see what you're talking about. The neighborhood is pretty, and more realistic than in 2 (not that the guy is noticing the neighborhood, lol).

I actually like that only one family ages until you play them. BUT, I've noticed that while Susie became a teen, her friends from school didn't, and they're all still kids. And because they're interactable NPCs, not other neighborhood families (the family I am playing is the only family in the neighborhood. Now that I have University, I need to work on that, lol) there is no home that I can go to in order to play the kids to age them up like Susie). I'm kind of sad that Susie is literally outgrowing her friends.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    No, I see what you're talking about. The neighborhood is pretty, and more realistic than in 2 (not that the guy is noticing the neighborhood, lol).

I actually like that only one family ages until you play them. BUT, I've noticed that while Susie became a teen, her friends from school didn't, and they're all still kids. And because they're interactable NPCs, not other neighborhood families (the family I am playing is the only family in the neighborhood. Now that I have University, I need to work on that, lol) there is no home that I can go to in order to play the kids to age them up like Susie). I'm kind of sad that Susie is literally outgrowing her friends.

One of the EPs added the option to age up friends with your sim. And you can also select teens to go to university with your sim. So boyfriend and girlfriend / bff can go along.

---one more reason you need the UC. So many more options!
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    While there are loading screens like Sims 4, I would say Sims 2 is slightly more "open" then Sims 4. You can actually see your neighborhood while you are in the menu and on your lot. But that's only a slight difference and probably doesn't bother most people.

The TS4 maps bother the heck out of me. Especially because they are made to look like they are together, but when you are in a lot, you can't see the stuff the map says should be around you.

One thing I have always loved about the worlds (once TS2 enabled it and WOW! in TS3) was seeing the rest of the neighborhood while in a lot.

Wait, what? When and how? I can't see anything around me when in a lot!

If you have Apartment Life, go to options and enable neighborhoods :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    While there are loading screens like Sims 4, I would say Sims 2 is slightly more "open" then Sims 4. You can actually see your neighborhood while you are in the menu and on your lot. But that's only a slight difference and probably doesn't bother most people.

The TS4 maps bother the heck out of me. Especially because they are made to look like they are together, but when you are in a lot, you can't see the stuff the map says should be around you.

One thing I have always loved about the worlds (once TS2 enabled it and WOW! in TS3) was seeing the rest of the neighborhood while in a lot.

Wait, what? When and how? I can't see anything around me when in a lot!

If you have Apartment Life, go to options and enable neighborhoods :)

Nope, no Apartment Life. Just the base game with University Expansion pack.
  • SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    @SataiDelennn That picture of mine, is in TS2. :smile:
    @SataiDelennn That picture of mine, is in TS2. :smile:

Dang.
    I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow. I think it was Nightlife that let us see the rest of the neighborhood from lots.
    I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow. I think it was Nightlife that let us see the rest of the neighborhood from lots.

I meant "dang" in a good way. I'm impressed with the picture. I think it looks nice.
    @SataiDelennn Yes, I realized that. lol I just didn't think it showed enough. I'm working on a new hood project so I will most likely forget to get another pic :p but here is another old pic.

oc7sm.jpg
    OK, wow, just... WOW!!!
    :smiley:

That pic was taken on a residential beach lot (bon voyage expansion).
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    You need the UC.

We know you want it. We just keep dangling carrots in front of you. :p
    You need the UC.

We know you want it. We just keep dangling carrots in front of you. :p

And I'll say to you, what I said to Sparky... :P lol ;)