Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cozy Corner Writer's Nook

Comments

• CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »
    @Anua92 I do stick to a schedule, but mostly because I am ahead in my writing and screenshotting :blush:

Like @Jes2G said, I like my readers to kind of know when to expect a new chapter (though sometimes I do post daily updates instead of my normal schedule!).

You know what's interesting that I just thought about? I'm not very concerned about when chapters come out from stories that I read, but yet I'm very concerned about it for mine. That makes me wonder if it really matters to anyone except me lol. Like, with your story, I know you're very adamant about letting us know when chapters come out and what not, but I never remember what you say anyway so I'm always surprised to see them lol. I check my email, and if I see one, awesome. And if I don't, that's cool too. As a person who loves surprises, not knowing actually works very well. :p

Follow up question for everyone... For the stories you read, do you prefer chapters coming consistently? If so, do you look for them to come out at a specified time? Do you remember all your stories' update schedules?

Okay @Jes2G you make an excellent point! :lol:

I will confess to not reading many stories, but for the ones I DO read, I don't even get emails or check my reader. I will just randomly think "Oh, I wonder if so-and-so has a new chapter." And then go read it :lol:

So you're probably right... The schedule is really more for me than anyone :lol:
    snvAF3B.png
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    I don't really have a schedule, though I like to stick to doing 2-3 updates a week. Not on a specific day, but making sure my updates are not too far apart. When I do end up having a bit longer in between updates, I do tend to post an announcement to let people know - whether that makes a difference, I don't know :D

As a reader, I don't pay attention to schedules too much either - I only remember them if a certain story is updated daily, because...duh, there's an update every day :D I must admit that I do find it difficult to follow stories that only get updated very occasionally, because I often forget what had happened. With those I prefer to stack the updates up and binge read :)
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »

Follow up question for everyone... For the stories you read, do you prefer chapters coming consistently? If so, do you look for them to come out at a specified time? Do you remember all your stories' update schedules?

For stories I read, I get really stressed out if there are schedules! LOL! I try to be a conscientious reader, and lately, this is something that I'm having to let go of. Reading everything isn't working for me at present. :'(

So, if there's a schedule, I get stressed because I start thinking, "Oh, no! Such and such comes out today! I need to be sure to find fifteen minutes for it!" But what if it's a busy day? Oh, no! Or what if my mind is full! (which it has been very full lately). So, I have recently decided to give myself a gift: I don't have to read everything and I don't have to read things the moment they come out.

What's I do find curious is that I tend to have my own reading schedules... for example, I LOVE to read @Jes2G 's stories on the weekend, preferably in the afternoon when I'm feeling luxurious. It just fits and feels delightful.

I've got both schedules and flow for myself as a reader, and I'm finding that I can really trust the flow combined with tuning into my own internal schedule to bring me around to the reading that's waiting for me.

(I just wrote this big long thing describing when I like to read each of your works, and then I realized that it sort of counters this gift I'm giving to myself of not needing to be "the conscientious reader"! So I deleted it! LOL! Just know that for each one of you here, I treasure your words and your stories, and for my reading, there's a time or context for each. You are treasured writers! <3 Thank you!)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    I don't have a set schedule for my writing. It would just stress me out too much because I have a habit of worrying about deadlines well before they're even close. So I don't want to do that to myself and just post whenever I get my chapter ready. I do try to not have a several-month break between chapters, though, at least not without telling people about it.

As for reading... I don't care either way. I don't pay attention to other people's schedules, unless they keep reminding me of it. It is pretty nice to know in advance when a new chapter of a story I really like is going to come out, but I also like surprises. The feeling of just randomly logging into Wordpress and noticing that there's an update to one of the stories I'm following is a lovely one. Whatever works for people is fine for me as a reader. :)
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    For me right now, reading is just something I do once or twice a week.

I have every story I do read on my Feedly account and when I have the time/energy, I just sit down with my tablet and some iced tea and read away! It generally is a binge read because I'll let them build up for a week or two...and then I just read!

I don't comment as much as I'd like because I'm on my tablet, but that will be fixed soon as I'm getting a new one with a keyboard. But anyways...there are a few stories that started when I wasn't really doing any reading, so I just catch up on them little by little...casually.

Regular, scheduled postings really don't guide me. I just read when I want and I'll binge read and catch up if a lot was posted between my readings.

Like @CathyTea said...I'm just letting go of reading things right when they come out because it's hard to keep up. If I allow myself time each week or so to catch up, I feel better and I hope the writers of the stories I regularly follow understand that and enjoy it when I do take the time to read their work (I looooove reading your updates so much, friends).
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Thanks, everyone, for proving my point: no one cares but me! LOL :D I'll probably still stick with the schedules because, like I say, it helps to keep me organized and sane. But it's nice to know that if I decide to make changes it may not make a difference. Less pressure!

Another reason I like schedules is because it creates a nice buffer for me without sacrificing content for the readers. I can take a break without breaking continuity because the chapters being read now were written like weeks or months ago and are scheduled way ahead of time. That buffer also gives me time to work out ideas and think about new things.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    I almost forgot to mention that I did have a schedule before back last year when I was writing Memoirs. But it was looser and more like what @ThePlumbob was referring to with posting 2-3 times a week.
    edited April 2016
    CathyTea wrote: »
    What's I do find curious is that I tend to have my own reading schedules... for example, I LOVE to read @Jes2G 's stories on the weekend, preferably in the afternoon when I'm feeling luxurious. It just fits and feels delightful.

Ooh, yes! I find Jess's and @JoieWilder 's stuff what I read when I want to endulge in some pampering on a weekend, preferably in the bathtub and with a glass of wine (I just hope I won't drown my tablet one of these days lol!)
    Like @CathyTea said...I'm just letting go of reading things right when they come out because it's hard to keep up. If I allow myself time each week or so to catch up, I feel better and I hope the writers of the stories I regularly follow understand that and enjoy it when I do take the time to read their work (I looooove reading your updates so much, friends).

I love people who read several updates in a row like yourself @aroseinbloom - it's always fun to see the thought process on several chapters read within a short span of time since you can follow the reader's thought process :)
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    CathyTea wrote: »

Ooh, yes! I find Jess's and @JoieWilder 's stuff what I read when I want to endulge in some pampering on a weekend, preferably in the bathtub and with a glass of wine (I just hope I won't drown my tablet one of these days lol!)

I love people who read several updates in a row like yourself @aroseinbloom - it's always fun to see the thought process on several chapters read within a short span of time since you can follow the reader's thought process :)

Speaking of which, I should make time to get held captive by the Bloomers again soon... ;)

I've been working on Discovering Juliana a lot lately! I've got the next season all plotted. Now about this writing thing...hmmm...
    forum_final.png

• Anua92Anua92 Posts: 269 Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm the same as @Jes2G I need the schedule to keep myself sane. But then again, I try to schedule my entire day as much as I can because I think I have a bit of OCD. It's nice to know that if I deviate from my schedule (like my week break last week) I'm not going to upset my readers.

As for reading, I tend to come into a story way late in the game. And I'm already so far behind that it takes me days to weeks of binge reading to catch up, if I ever catch up. So schedules don't really matter to me either.

Another random question! Do you do anything to "set the mood" when you write?
    For instance, I put the lighting down low and set some meditation or classical music real low for background noise. It helps me do at least 3 posts in a row, most times.
    Anua92 wrote: »
    For instance, I put the lighting down low and set some meditation or classical music real low for background noise. It helps me do at least 3 posts in a row, most times.

I wish I had a writing mood that way when I don't feel like writing there is something I can do to inspire that urge. I'll have to experiment and see if I can come up with something.

I have noticed something about myself though. I'm not a morning person. Not in the least. I wish the world operated from 2-11 lol. Anyway, although my body doesn't feel ready and I feel like my brain isn't, it actually is! My mind is so sharp right after I wake up (even though I still end up doing silly things because of sleepiness lol). Things I couldn't figure out the night before are clearer. Ideas flow better. It's a really good time for editing.
    forum_final.png

I am notorious for mood music amongst my group of friends. I have music for when I do homework, sketching and even writing. When I write it really depends on the scene I am writing about. For example, if it's a club scene the genre fits in line with that.
    OJenn wrote: »

I am notorious for mood music amongst my group of friends. I have music for when I do homework, sketching and even writing. When I write it really depends on the scene I am writing about. For example, if it's a club scene the genre fits in line with that.

I usually don't write to music because the lyrics get tangled up with the words I'm trying to type although I successfully wrote a few chapters while listening to pop. I have to stick to classical, jazz, and any other instrumental music I have. I usually like quiet when I write so I can hear what's going on in my head, but sometimes the quiet is too much and I turn on said music.
    forum_final.png

• ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    ...I can guarantee I don't have mood music... Today's post was ...'written' while listening to Fallout let's plays. And Thursdays post was in a noisy cafeteria. Then again music is the first thing I tune out, so when I'm writing my ears are definatly not working.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
    edited April 2016
    @Jes2G - That makes sense!

I usually have music going because my house, or whatever area I am in at the time, isn't as quiet as it could be for me to concentrate. Instrumental music often helps if your concern in the words.
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited April 2016
    I have gotten to the point where I literally cannot write if I'm not listening to white noise on headphones :lol: Even instrumental music is too distracting for me -- I get too caught up in the rhythm haha

If the TV is on or any of my family is talking in the background, forget it. I need white noise to drown everything out! If I am home alone and it's super silent, I can deal. Otherwise the headphones go on! (And for those of you I chat with on origin while I'm writing, yes, I am listening to the white noise while we chat too :lol:)

(Oh, and for the curious, it's always the same white noise :lol: This YouTube video)

https://youtu.be/A75PQLV-Nck
    snvAF3B.png
    I have gotten to the point where I literally cannot write if I'm not listening to white noise on headphones :lol: Even instrumental music is too distracting for me -- I get too caught up in the rhythm haha

If the TV is on or any of my family is talking in the background, forget it. I need white noise to drown everything out! If I am home alone and it's super silent, I can deal. Otherwise the headphones go on! (And for those of you I chat with on origin while I'm writing, yes, I am listening to the white noise while we chat too :lol:)

(Oh, and for the curious, it's always the same white noise :lol: This YouTube video)

https://youtu.be/A75PQLV-Nck

Oooh, I like this noise.
    forum_final.png

• InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I actually can concentrate to music that isn't good nor bad but just fails to suck me in. So I'm often writing to pop or electronic music that doesn't fit the tone at all. :p

Same goes for film scores that aren't offensive but also not my favorite. The Amazing Spiderman 2 is currently my soundtrack "jam" right now, entirely because its strange orchestral/dubstep fusion doesn't do much for me, but it makes for good background noise.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    I listen to music a lot when I write. Sometimes I pick something that I know will help me get into a specific mood that I'll need for setting the tone for the scene (or at least help me do that). But a lot of the times I'll just go for something I like. So usually progressive rock, metal, or video game/instrumental music ensues.

Sometimes, though, I'll just put on a Let's Play or some other video that doesn't require me watching it all the time.

I also like to get a cup of tea for my writing sessions a lot of the time. It helps me relax, though the downside is that sometimes I'll forget about the tea when I start writing and then it'll get cold and I will become very unhappy when I realise my mistake. :D
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
    @RipuAncestor - I am guilty of the same thing but with coffee!
  • aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    So, @Jes2G and I were chatting about this today.

I love putting on this in the background...It helps me so much! I focus more and write better. And faster. It's fantastic. I used to use it all of the time when I was in grad school and had to write massive papers.

I can also listen to music just fine. It doesn't distract me all that much. I just need noise. Silence is my enemy when it comes to writing.

Much like @RipuAncestor and @OJenn, a hot beverage helps! I prefer tea at night and coffee for morning/afternoon writing. And yes, it usually ends up cold.
    I need silence when I write, not necessarily complete and utter silence, but the quieter the better. I may start using @CitizenErased14 's white noise tactic when my surroundings get too overwhelming - what a good idea!
  • Anua92Anua92 Posts: 269 Member
    @aroseinbloom that is just too much noise for me lol. I can see why it could be very helpful for some people, but I can't focus when there's so much going on around me (or seemingly going on)

I just put on a station I have on pandora that plays nothing but classical music. Or my other station that plays meditation or nature sounds (I use that to get to sleep sometimes). They relax me so much and I'm able to focus on what I want to say. I absolutely cannot listen to lets plays or anything where someone is talking or singing.
    Like even right now, I had to turn off my netflix in order to be able to finish a sentence. I usually can do netflix and chat, but it's a major plot twist in my show and I can't do both lol
    I just posted something on my thread that made me remember our recent discussion about scheduling. So, I was talking to @aroseinbloom today trying to figure out which stories I want to work on next. Let’s just say that spelling out all the plans I’m making overwhelmed me quite a bit lol. I’m 97% ready to scrap the idea of positing certain things on certain days (except F.I.S.H. because it belongs to Fridays lol) and commence to posting things whenever (but still just once a day). Naturally, part of me doesn’t like the willy nilly nature of things, but if I really plan on working more things at once, I think—currently—it’s the only way for me. I’ll still going to keep my scheduling spreadsheet so I don’t have to attempt to remember which days already have things on them. And I’ll still schedule F.I.S.H. and Discovering Juliana—when it’s back—for certain times of the week because I feel like those stories are ones that people would prefer to read regularly. I’ll also keep their releases as seasons so I can have time to write them ahead of time. I suppose I should have a woosah moment now lol. On the flip side, that means I’m free to work on whatever I want whenever I want, so I could potentially start new things earlier than I planned, but we’ll see about that.
    forum_final.png

• ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    That's kind of where i ended up. I still have a spreadsheet to plan stuff, but outside of Fridays, if I have something I'm excited about I post that whenever I'm ready. I found I missed days if a certain story wasn't ready yet, but another one was 4 posts in the wings.

I still am no good at doing buffers. I'll be grea one week and scrambling the next. But slowly, i think it's working better. I hope.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.