Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Ambrosia Challenge! (Beta Testers Needed!)

CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
edited March 7 in Nominated Threads
THE AMBROSIA CHALLENGE

This challenge is only PARTIALLY tested. Desperately looking for some devoted Beta testers to try this out and help me tweak the rules as necessary :blush:

Note: This challenge was inspired by my SimLit story, Dust to Dust, and was created with storytelling in mind (though it could be fun to just play as well!). You do not have to adhere super closely to these rules and can be as creative as you want! Some of the very specific rules (like encountering the Grim Reaper) can be tweaked as you see fit.

Outdoor Retreat is required to successfully complete this challenge If you do not have OR and are scoring, begin the challenge with 900 points instead of 1000 to compensate for your advantage, and disregard the herbalism skill requirement and visit to Granite Falls :)

Setup:
- Played on normal lifespan
- You may use money cheats for this challenge to build your house (or buy your house)

Step One:
- Start this challenge with a YA Sim, with at least one other sim in the house (If you prefer, they can be a teen, but age up to a YA while you play, if you'd like to give them a little more of a backstory).
- Your Sim can have any traits or aspiration you want*** (See “Optional Challenge” section for more on this)
- This sim MUST die before they reach the halfway point of Young Adulthood, and before they have completed their aspiration. How they die does not matter.
- Leave their urn or grave on the lot.

Step Two:
- Now, move a single YA into the house (now haunted by the ghost).
- Move out the surviving family members/other sims from the household.
- Use cheats to add the ghost to your family the first time they appear
- Build a basement beneath your house with no entrance. This is the inside of your ghost's "Grave", where they live during the day. Use shift+click to "teleport" them to this grave area during daylight hours. They MUST be teleported to the surface between sundown and sunrise. (You can equip the grave with a toilet/kitchen/bed/etc if you don't want to use cheats for your ghost. My preference is to always have your ghost's needs cheated to be full with no decay, since "realistically", ghosts wouldn't have any need of eating or sleeping or going to the bathroom, etc)

NOW the challenge can really begin!

Object: Gather the necessary ingredients and create Ambrosia to resurrect the ghost that is haunting your sim’s house. You must complete this goal in as few generations as possible.

Rules:
1. Only ONE sim may work on the Ambrosia cure at a time (if a sim dies before a step is completed, their heir may pick up where they left off!)
2. Your sim may only work on ONE step of the Ambrosia cure at a time.
3. Only the child chosen as heir of each generation may know about the ghost’s existence and work on their cure.
4. The ghost is not allowed to be seen by (or interact with) ANYONE but the family’s heirs.
5. The ghost is NOT allowed to work on their aspiration until they are resurrected
6. Your sim’s work toward finding the Ambrosia is a secret, and must not interfere with their day-to-day lives. Each heir MUST have a career and complete their lifetime aspiration before their death (their knowledge of ghosts has reminded them that they must live life to the fullest!). They also must have at least two friends who do not live in their household.
7. Any graves (other than the original ghost’s grave) must not be kept on the lot. Only one ghost will be haunting this house, sorry!
8. Your ghost may never leave the lot. They are bound to their grave.
9. You may not use the wishing well to help in anyway

In the beginning: Your ghost is still shocked by their demise, and is afraid of being seen. Your ghost is not allowed ANY interaction with the sim now living in their house. They may only enter the house area when the sim living in the house has gone to sleep. Your YA you moved in needs to get married and have at least one child (one of whom can be chosen as the "heir").

During the heir's childhood, they encounter the ghost who haunts their house. They must…
1. Become BFFs with the ghost by the time they reach Young Adulthood (you may forego this step if you choose to give the challenge a more sinister twist. Perhaps the ghost is evil and is manipulating them? It’s up to you!). If you choose to have your first heir become BFFs with the ghost, ALL future heirs must also become BFFs with the ghost as well!
2. They also MUST have an encounter with the Grim Reaper at some point before their death. This cannot be forced by intentionally killing a sim, it must happen "naturally" (maybe hang out with some elders? ;) Haha). Your sim has decided they want to bring the ghost haunting their house back to life. Grim will tell your sim how they can do this.

Once the encounter with Grimmy has happened, your sim can begin the search for the ghost's cure. There are three steps to complete this, and you CANNOT begin the next step until a sim has completed the previous one and the steps must be completed in order!

(For example, you should not have your sim going out of their way to level up their handiness, fishing, or cooking skills until they've maxed herbalism and gardening and grown the Death Flower! Obviously things will break around the house so you may have to do some repairs now and then, and you have to feed your sim! But you shouldn't be making a conscious effort to build the skills necessary for the next step until you've finished the one you're working on!)

1. The Death Flower
- Your sim must travel to Granite Falls and meet the hermit who lives there (to get advice on how to grow the death flower).
- ONLY after your Sim has maxed BOTH the gardening and herbalism skills can they grow the death flower. (Once your sim has achieved this goal, you may do some research yourself to figure out how to cross-breed the flower!)
-This step is complete once you have successfully grown a Death Flower bush.

2. The Angelfish
- Your sim must max both the fishing and handiness skills before finding the angelfish. (Any angelfish caught before these skills are maxed do not count, and must be sold).
- Your sim must visit both secret fishing lots (in Oasis Springs and Willow Creek) before they catch the fish as well.
- This step is complete once you have successfully caught an Angel fish (you may store it in a fish bowl. It will not die)

3. The Youth Potion
- The final ingredient needed is the Youth Potion (which, in reality, can be purchased as a lifetime happiness reward. But in this challenge, finding the Youth Potion isn’t so simple!)
- Your sim must find (and plant) a cowplant berry.
- Once the cowplant reaches maturity, you must sacrifice a sim to the cow plant by having them eat the cake TWICE (so that they die). This can be your heir (they may choose to sacrifice themselves) or it could be a friend or family member. The choice is yours!
- After the sim has been devoured, another sim may milk the cow plant. Once the “essence of life” is in their inventory, you may purchase the Youth Potion lifetime reward. You have traded another sim’s life to bring the ghost back.

Once you have obtained all three ingredients, it’s time to make the Ambrosia. Your sim must max both the gourmet cooking skill and regular cooking skill. Once they've done this, they can cook the ambrosia and serve it to the ghost at last!

After the resurrection:
With their life restored, the ghost sim must now live as fulfilling a life as possible. They must complete their lifetime aspiration and die of old age.

Scoring…
Start with 1000 points.

You lose…
-1 point every time your ghost sim is in the same room as an awake, non-heir
-2 points every time your ghost INTERACTS with a non-heir
-10 points for every career level away from 10 that your heir ended their life with (for example, lose 10 points for level 9, lose 20 for level 8, lose 50 for level 5, etc)
-20 points any time your heir’s relationship with a friend decays back to “acquaintance” level (You gain back 15 of these points if you are able to restore the relationship!)
-50 points for every generation it takes you to complete the challenge.

You fail the challenge if…
- Any of your heirs dies without completing their lifetime Aspiration.
- Any heir dies before producing an heir of their own.
- Your resurrected ghost does not complete their lifetime Aspiration and/or does not die of old age.
- You run out of points.

***Optional Challenge – “Unfinished Business”

Why was your ghost kept behind in the first place? Why weren’t they allowed to move on to the afterlife? This optional part of the challenge will help to answer that question!

1. When creating your ghost sim, give them some sort of “negative” trait – Lazy, mean, evil, etc.
2. Throughout the challenge, your ghost sim must work to overcome this fault that they had in their life. For example, a “mean” or “evil” ghost would have to perform “good” actions and befriend as many of the heirs as they can. A “lazy” ghost must max their athletic and wellness skills. A “non-commital” ghost would have to fall in love and become the boyfriend or girlfriend of one of the heirs (but no marriage!). Those are just examples. This optional piece is very open-ended on purpose! Be as creative with this as you would like!
3. When the sim is resurrected, you may cheat in CAS to change their negative trait to a positive one, now that they’ve learned their lesson!
snvAF3B.png
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    Oooh, cool! I don't know if I have time to test this, but what if you don't have OR or SD packs? Also, could you be more specific on negative traits? Or have you left that open ended deliberately? This isn't me critisising you in a nastily, I'm sorry if it comes across like that, just suggestions. However, it is an awesome challenge, and is a great homage to D2D, and it looks like loads of fun! :)
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Oooh, cool! I don't know if I have time to test this, but what if you don't have OR or SD packs? Also, could you be more specific on negative traits? Or have you left that open ended deliberately? This isn't me critisising you in a nastily, I'm sorry if it comes across like that, just suggestions. However, it is an awesome challenge, and is a great homage to D2D, and it looks like loads of fun! :)

Thanks for the feedback @Spottydog714 ! :) The negative trait part is 100% open-ended/up to the player to decide how they want to do it, which is why there are no specific guidelines.

If you don't have OR, you will have a much easier time with the challenge haha but can still do it without visiting the Hermit or learning Herbalism. And I forget, what feature of SD comes into play in the challenge? I didn't think there was one but I'm not sure.

I'll add a note abou the Hermit :)
    snvAF3B.png
    'A “lazy” ghost must max their athletic and wellness skills'

But I realise my point is irrelevant now because you left it open ended, so please ignore! :)
    EkpFDaf.png
    No worries @Spottydog714 :) I addressed the Hermit issue in the rules :) Now, players who are scoring who do not have OR start at a 100 point scoring disadvantage, to compensate for how much easier the challenge will be for them to complete :)

If you come up with an alternative for the herbalism skill, let me know! Right now I'm struggling to think of something that would make sense, but if I do, I will definitely amend the rules again! :)
    snvAF3B.png
    No worries @Spottydog714 :) I addressed the Hermit issue in the rules :) Now, players who are scoring who do not have OR start at a 100 point scoring disadvantage, to compensate for how much easier the challenge will be for them to complete :)

If you come up with an alternative for the herbalism skill, let me know! Right now I'm struggling to think of something that would make sense, but if I do, I will definitely amend the rules again! :)

Cool! Maybe Mixology? I don't know - you could pretend you are mixing up potions?
    EkpFDaf.png

Cool! Maybe Mixology? I don't know - you could pretend you are mixing up potions?

Ooh that might work! I'm gonna think about it :)
    snvAF3B.png

Ooh that might work! I'm gonna think about it :)

Awesome! :)
    EkpFDaf.png
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    How about adding that the ghost sim must marry childhood sweetheart and live happily ever after with them! ;) (Just kidding...had to get my #TeamEvelyn dig in! :p )
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    Hmm... I might want to do this.

I'm starting off two legacies already and still have to resurrect some old sims files though.
  • StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    Okay, when I first saw this I thought maybe someday... but I can't stop thinking about it! The biggest problem I can see is creating a whole new story-line that doesn't copy dust to dust. But since it'll take several generations that makes it easier. So yes, I'll be one of your guinea pigs! Now to go plot some poor sim's demise... it seems to be what I'm good at after-all. o:)
    Okay, when I first saw this I thought maybe someday... but I can't stop thinking about it! The biggest problem I can see is creating a whole new story-line that doesn't copy dust to dust. But since it'll take several generations that makes it easier. So yes, I'll be one of your guinea pigs! Now to go plot some poor sim's demise... it seems to be what I'm good at after-all. o:)

@Rainydayz179 Yay! :blush: Don't worry about feeling like you're copying D2D :) I am sure you can put your own spin on things (and yes, having it take multiple generations will help :lol:). Honestly I don't care if it ends up similar to my story. I just want people to try it out and have fun! :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
    @Rainydayz179 Yay! :blush: Don't worry about feeling like you're copying D2D :) I am sure you can put your own spin on things (and yes, having it take multiple generations will help :lol:). Honestly I don't care if it ends up similar to my story. I just want people to try it out and have fun! :blush:

Okay, I'm off to start then. Trying to decide what the negative trait should be... too bad there isn't a greedy trait.

Okay, I'm off to start then. Trying to decide what the negative trait should be... too bad there isn't a greedy trait.

Maybe materialistic? That is probably he closest! :)
    snvAF3B.png
    Maybe materialistic? That is probably he closest! :)

I'm torn between materialistic and snob. And no I haven't finished making her yet because after an hour working on making a sim in CAS I only needed to think of a name for her and then while making dinner and trying to think of a backstory I totally changed my mind and have to start all over again! I thought doing the Romeo and Juliet thing was hard... this girl's backstory is gonna take awhile. ;)
    Okay the first chapter is done! Whew was that a lotta work. Here's the forum thread I made for it.
    I'm thinking there should be a restriction on the ghost not being able to work on their aspiration while they're dead... it would be way too easy if I chose any of the creativity aspirations since there's not much for her to do in the time she's allowed in the house.
    Ooh @Rainydayz179 I am off to check out your story!

And good point about the ghost aspiration! I forgot to mention it -- you're right, you aren't supposed to have the ghost work on their aspiration :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    edited April 2016
    THE AMBROSIA CHALLENGE

This challenge is only PARTIALLY tested. Desperately looking for some devoted Beta testers to try this out and help me tweak the rules as necessary :blush:

Note: This challenge was inspired by my SimLit story, Dust to Dust, and was created with storytelling in mind (though it could be fun to just play as well!). You do not have to adhere super closely to these rules and can be as creative as you want! Some of the very specific rules (like encountering the Grim Reaper) can be tweaked as you see fit.

Outdoor Retreat is required to successfully complete this challenge If you do not have OR and are scoring, begin the challenge with 900 points instead of 1000 to compensate for your advantage, and disregard the herbalism skill requirement and visit to Granite Falls :)

Setup:
    - Played on normal lifespan
    - You may use money cheats for this challenge to build your house (or buy your house)

Step One:
    - Start this challenge with a YA Sim, with at least one other sim in the house (If you prefer, they can be a teen, but age up to a YA while you play, if you'd like to give them a little more of a backstory).
    - Your Sim can have any traits or aspiration you want*** (See “Optional Challenge” section for more on this)
    - This sim MUST die before they reach the halfway point of Young Adulthood, and before they have completed their aspiration. How they die does not matter.
    - Leave their urn or grave on the lot.

Step Two:
    - Now, move a single YA into the house (now haunted by the ghost).
    - Move out the surviving family members/other sims from the household.
    - Use cheats to add the ghost to your family the first time they appear
    - Build a basement beneath your house with no entrance. This is the inside of your ghost's "Grave", where they live during the day. Use shift+click to "teleport" them to this grave area during daylight hours. They MUST be teleported to the surface between sundown and sunrise. (You can equip the grave with a toilet/kitchen/bed/etc if you don't want to use cheats for your ghost. My preference is to always have your ghost's needs cheated to be full with no decay, since "realistically", ghosts wouldn't have any need of eating or sleeping or going to the bathroom, etc)

NOW the challenge can really begin!

Object: Gather the necessary ingredients and create Ambrosia to resurrect the ghost that is haunting your sim’s house. You must complete this goal in as few generations as possible.

Rules:
    1. Only ONE sim may work on the Ambrosia cure at a time (if a sim dies before a step is completed, their heir may pick up where they left off!)
    2. Your sim may only work on ONE step of the Ambrosia cure at a time.
    3. Only the child chosen as heir of each generation may know about the ghost’s existence and work on their cure.
    4. The ghost is not allowed to be seen by (or interact with) ANYONE but the family’s heirs.
    5. The ghost is NOT allowed to work on their aspiration until they are resurrected
    6. Your sim’s work toward finding the Ambrosia is a secret, and must not interfere with their day-to-day lives. Each heir MUST have a career and complete their lifetime aspiration before their death (their knowledge of ghosts has reminded them that they must live life to the fullest!). They also must have at least two friends who do not live in their household.
    7. Any graves (other than the original ghost’s grave) must not be kept on the lot. Only one ghost will be haunting this house, sorry!
    8. Your ghost may never leave the lot. They are bound to their grave.
    9. You may not use the wishing well to help in anyway

In the beginning: Your ghost is still shocked by their demise, and is afraid of being seen. Your ghost is not allowed ANY interaction with the sim now living in their house. They may only enter the house area when the sim living in the house has gone to sleep. Your YA you moved in needs to get married and have at least one child (one of whom can be chosen as the "heir").

During the heir's childhood, they encounter the ghost who haunts their house. They must…
    1. Become BFFs with the ghost by the time they reach Young Adulthood (you may forego this step if you choose to give the challenge a more sinister twist. Perhaps the ghost is evil and is manipulating them? It’s up to you!). If you choose to have your first heir become BFFs with the ghost, ALL future heirs must also become BFFs with the ghost as well!
    2. They also MUST have an encounter with the Grim Reaper at some point before their death. This cannot be forced by intentionally killing a sim, it must happen "naturally" (maybe hang out with some elders? ;) Haha). Your sim has decided they want to bring the ghost haunting their house back to life. Grim will tell your sim how they can do this.

Once the encounter with Grimmy has happened, your sim can begin the search for the ghost's cure. There are three steps to complete this, and you CANNOT begin the next step until a sim has completed the previous one and the steps must be completed in order!

1. The Death Flower
    - Your sim must travel to Granite Falls and meet the hermit who lives there (to get advice on how to grow the death flower).
    - ONLY after your Sim has maxed BOTH the gardening and herbalism skills can they grow the death flower. (Once your sim has achieved this goal, you may do some research yourself to figure out how to cross-breed the flower!)
    -This step is complete once you have successfully grown a Death Flower bush.

2. The Angelfish
    - Your sim must max both the fishing and handiness skills before finding the angelfish. (Any angelfish caught before these skills are maxed do not count, and must be sold).
    - Your sim must visit both secret fishing lots (in Oasis Springs and Willow Creek) before they catch the fish as well.
    - This step is complete once you have successfully caught an Angel fish (you may store it in a fish bowl. It will not die)

3. The Youth Potion
    - The final ingredient needed is the Youth Potion (which, in reality, can be purchased as a lifetime happiness reward. But in this challenge, finding the Youth Potion isn’t so simple!)
    - Your sim must find (and plant) a cowplant berry.
    - Once the cowplant reaches maturity, you must sacrifice a sim to the cow plant by having them eat the cake TWICE (so that they die). This can be your heir (they may choose to sacrifice themselves) or it could be a friend or family member. The choice is yours!
    - After the sim has been devoured, another sim may milk the cow plant. Once the “essence of life” is in their inventory, you may purchase the Youth Potion lifetime reward. You have traded another sim’s life to bring the ghost back.

Once you have obtained all three ingredients, it’s time to make the Ambrosia. Your sim must max both the gourmet cooking skill and regular cooking skill. Once they've done this, they can cook the ambrosia and serve it to the ghost at last!

After the resurrection:
    With their life restored, the ghost sim must now live as fulfilling a life as possible. They must complete their lifetime aspiration and die of old age.

Scoring…
    Start with 1000 points.

You lose…
    -1 point every time your ghost sim is in the same room as an awake, non-heir
    -2 points every time your ghost INTERACTS with a non-heir
    -10 points for every career level away from 10 that your heir ended their life with (for example, lose 10 points for level 9, lose 20 for level 8, lose 50 for level 5, etc)
    -20 points any time your heir’s relationship with a friend decays back to “acquaintance” level (You gain back 15 of these points if you are able to restore the relationship!)
    -50 points for every generation it takes you to complete the challenge.

You fail the challenge if…
    - Any of your heirs dies without completing their lifetime Aspiration.
    - Any heir dies before producing an heir of their own.
    - Your resurrected ghost does not complete their lifetime Aspiration and/or does not die of old age.
    - You run out of points.

***Optional Challenge – “Unfinished Business”

Why was your ghost kept behind in the first place? Why weren’t they allowed to move on to the afterlife? This optional part of the challenge will help to answer that question!

1. When creating your ghost sim, give them some sort of “negative” trait – Lazy, mean, evil, etc.
    2. Throughout the challenge, your ghost sim must work to overcome this fault that they had in their life. For example, a “mean” or “evil” ghost would have to perform “good” actions and befriend as many of the heirs as they can. A “lazy” ghost must max their athletic and wellness skills. A “non-commital” ghost would have to fall in love and become the boyfriend or girlfriend of one of the heirs (but no marriage!). Those are just examples. This optional piece is very open-ended on purpose! Be as creative with this as you would like!
    3. When the sim is resurrected, you may cheat in CAS to change their negative trait to a positive one, now that they’ve learned their lesson!

@CitizenErased14 .. I wish I could work on this Beta test now. I am crazy for challenges and have beta tested a few. I am in the middle of a huge story (that I already tried to kill off my characters .. here is a tip ... never kill off Snow White .. it is not a popular move) and I have one lined up to test. BUT that being said I have bookmarked this and will be back cause it looks like GREAT fun!
    Post edited by lisabee2 on
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    @CitizenErased14 I just thought of another snag. The parents can't both get jobs because the baby won't be sent to daycare due to the ghost in the house but the ghost is in it's grave all day! Too bad you can't hire a babysitter or nanny like the previous sims games.
    @CitizenErased14 I just thought of another snag. The parents can't both get jobs because the baby won't be sent to daycare due to the ghost in the house but the ghost is in it's grave all day! Too bad you can't hire a babysitter or nanny like the previous sims games.

@Rainydayz179 Ahhhhh that sucks! I didn't even think of that. I suppose there's one of two ways to get around it... Either make one parent be stay-at-home, or bend the rules and let the ghost take care of the baby during the day (and just "pretend" for story's-sake that the baby is at daycare?)
    snvAF3B.png
    @Rainydayz179 Ahhhhh that sucks! I didn't even think of that. I suppose there's one of two ways to get around it... Either make one parent be stay-at-home, or bend the rules and let the ghost take care of the baby during the day (and just "pretend" for story's-sake that the baby is at daycare?)

Yea I was thinking I could move the bassinet into the basement during the day but figured that would be against the rules. It's taken all day to write the second chapter. Whew I need a break! :p
  • MarialeinMarialein Posts: 2,885 Member
    I would really love to try this but I have already 4 stories and I am only able to update one. Nevertheless if someone needs a ghost Kalani from my Amazon story is on my gallery. He died on his young adult birthday and I would really love to see him in one story. :)
    Just in case origin id: mariafuchs488
    edited May 2016
    A little tip for anyone wanting to try this challenge. Don't forget to disable need decay! Poor Amira.

Edit to add: You do want to disable need decay instead of putting all the stuff they need in the basement because they will just break it all.
    Post edited by StormyDayz on
    I thought of another possible way to meet grim. Find a townie that's already very angry and do mean interactions until they die from anger.
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    I'm so excited about this. I've been playing all week and just want to say that chapter 1 of my story will be coming out tomorrow! (At 7am Central Time)

I've (sadly) already bent the rules a bit - only in one fact - my ghost is a child. . . Yes, i'm a terrible human who killed a child sim to make a ghost....don't worry - I felt awful about it!

But I think other than child ghosts heading off to school and thus leaving the lot ...I think the bend works mostly. I'm still in the beginning phase but I hope to find a family for my YA the next time I play. He's been spending way too much time repairing the haunted house he bought.

@Rainydayz179 I'm going to check out your story - it'll be interesting to see how different from Dust to Dust we can be. :D
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top