Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Town I Created

Comments

• Options
    SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    Cool! Is this some of what I'll see when I install University Expansion pack? Obviously not pets and seasons and stuff, but the neighborhoods and such.
  • Options
    SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    @SataiDelennn You can already create new neighborhoods but yes, the part about attaching a University (subhood) and such, you will see after you install Uni. :smile:
  • Options
    @SataiDelennn You can already create new neighborhoods but yes, the part about attaching a University (subhood) and such, you will see after you install Uni. :smile:

OK. Good to know. Btw, are there any folders besides the Neighborhoods folder I need to copy elsewhere before I install the University Expansion pack? Also, I know you said I don't have to run the University off the CD after I install/load it, but in order to run the base game I do need the CD (it won't load/run the game without it), so after I install University, do I need to put the regular Sims2 disc back in the computer? Which CD do I use to run the whole game?
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

OK. Good to know. Btw, are there any folders besides the Neighborhoods folder I need to copy elsewhere before I install the University Expansion pack? Also, I know you said I don't have to run the University off the CD after I install/load it, but in order to run the base game I do need the CD (it won't load/run the game without it), so after I install University, do I need to put the regular Sims2 disc back in the computer? Which CD do I use to run the whole game?

You should use the university disc.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

You should use the university disc.

Lol. Yeah, I kind of decided to "throw caution to the wind" and began the installation. Wow, was that an ordeal! I mean, it installed successfully but man, "Insert this disc... insert that disc... insert new disc... set house on fire... reinsert original disc..." lol And there were all kinds of update patches it did automatically. But, it's up and running now. I am touring one of the colleges now. I haven't started playing it yet, but I do have a question... WHERE DO I GET THE PETS PACK NOW THAT I'VE CAVED AND INSTALLED UNIVERSITY!? lol hahahahahahaha!

Oh, it gave me the option to register the game, but I passed in case I do want to try and get the UC and they ask for an unused registration code. Was that the right thing to do?

Also, if I go back and forth between different towns (i.e. Pleasantview and DeVine Valley) and I choose the same college for some of the Sims, will they be able to meet up at college and interact, or will the game treat them as though they are still in different towns and keep them separated? Also, if I send a Sim (like Susie) to college, can she do the commute thing and continue living at home, or does she have to live in either a dorm or rent a house?

I also wanted to say that if not for all of you talking about University and the UC version in general, I probably would have left the University Expansion Pack sitting unopened on the shelf forever. So, thank you for pushing me to give this a try. I am not the most adventurous type of person. The unknown really makes me nervous because I'm always afraid of doing something wrong.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Bwahahaha! You have me laughing out loud for real. I forgot about the installation prices with the discs. Omg...if you ever get nightlife it will be even crazier. I don't know where you can buy the games. The only thing I can tell you is to go for the UC. It's a snap and you know it installs correctly.

Let's see. I haven't sent anyone to college for a while. I don't know. I feel like you can only play the one house/dorm while there. But you can move multiple sims from different families into the same dorm and play them all together. You can also send townies to school. Ya know...actually, I think you can send multiple sims at different times. I remember Dirk Dreamer went to college before his girlfriend. And then she went later and I had to make a guy in his dorm fail to make room for her. So I think you can.
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Bwahahaha! You have me laughing out loud for real. I forgot about the installation prices with the discs. Omg...if you ever get nightlife it will be even crazier. I don't know where you can buy the games. The only thing I can tell you is to go for the UC. It's a snap and you know it installs correctly.

Let's see. I haven't sent anyone to college for a while. I don't know. I feel like you can only play the one house/dorm while there. But you can move multiple sims from different families into the same dorm and play them all together. You can also send townies to school. Ya know...actually, I think you can send multiple sims at different times. I remember Dirk Dreamer went to college before his girlfriend. And then she went later and I had to make a guy in his dorm fail to make room for her. So I think you can.

Lol. Yeah, I just put that in there to see if anyone was paying attention, lol. Seriously, though. I haven't even started playing yet, just touring the buildings, and in the coffee shop there are two big bookcases FILLED with books, and I seriously just had a major O (sorry if that's TMI for you all, lol). It just made me realize what an utter book ho I am! Lol. I mean, these books aren't even real, and I am jealous! Which reminds me; when you posted those videos and Alan and his friend follow the old man to his house, and they are sitting in that library, I wanted to cry, I was so jealous! I would LOVE to have a library like that!!! Hell, I'd just love to have a personal library, period!
  • Options
    OK, I just checked out the 12 room dorm. That is unlike any dorm I remember! Everyone has their own room? So, that brings up a question. If I decide to make my own dorm (if I create my own Uni down the road) or I decide to change things in the current dorms, can I make more realistic dorm rooms? Meaning, can I make rooms with two beds so that everyone has at least one roommate? Would that then open up space for more students? Or would that just give existing students an extra bed? I also don't like how the bathrooms are set up. Again, not realistic (and I do tend to strive for some sort of realism).

And what about a cafeteria? This dorm had its own kitchen downstairs. So, is there no communal eating hall?
  • Options
    OK, more questions, well, one, really. In regard to the pool tables and arcade games, etc., will the existing arcade I built now be a real business since there are cashiers there, or will it continue to be something that the cashiers are for show only? Same thing with the swimming pool lot I built? Cause I noticed the amphitheatre and the ticket station, and was wondering if I should switch out the regular cash registers for tickets on those lots?

WAIT A MINUTE! A major in the Literature department equates to a CRIMINAL career?! Where do they get that from!? That's insulting! maybe they want to teach, or write, or whatever, but why does the game equate it with the Criminal career track!?

OK, so can ANYONE teen or older go to college? Or just the teens when finished with high school? I ask because I'm reading the little booklet that came with the game, and it mentioned something about Older Sims, which got me thinking about eventually sending Lauren and/or Dennis to college.

OK, so, even if I create my own university from scratch, I can't create custom dorms that are more realistic than the ones provided in the already existing universities? And are the items that are available for universities (pool tables, ticket cash registers, the arcade games, WATER FOUNTAINS) also available for regular towns? I've so missed the water fountains that were in the Deluxe version of The Sims, and so when I saw the water fountains on campus, I went gaga over them!
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @SleepycatDSL

Thanks for the picture tutorial lol yes the visuals are always a help as I think they are easier to follow :)

Back to your downloads page and 3 terrains I have noticed one that says terrain part 3 58MB does this mean its a large size map? Of your 3 terrains from the explanation I gave about what I wanted to achieve which one do you think would be a good one to try?

@SataiDelennn

OMG well you have gone and done it now lol get ready for more game play :)

I was groaning at the thought of installation by disc as guess what arrived in the post for me this morning, yes the whole sims 1 collection on disc. I have put it to one side as I am trying to write down and research my ideas for this new 2 neighborhood I want to start but I keep looking up at it thinking perhaps I could try just the base game disc to see if it works however if it does not I will get sidetracked from what I am doing. I think when I do try an install I am going to install the base game only and get used to it before I try the other expansions packs so I don't become overwhelmed as I did with 2 as I am literally running blind regards this series :)

your question re multiple sims at college I have not played that way yet but I believe it is possible as I was going to send 3 of my teens from the same household in pleasanview and had the option to do so but as @Mstybl95 says I think you can only play 1 household at Uni however many members you decide to send from 1 household. I am not sure if you would see other students you have sent from another neighborhood worlds as each neighborhood/world played is separate and UNi is a sub-hoods that is added to each world/neighborhood separately when playing them.

I stuck my sim at UNI in the cheapest house but with regards setting up different types of rooms I am not sure what is doable as its all about the doors and the restrictions that apply to them when using them in game but as I have a door mod I cant answer any questions about that but hopefully someone with better knowledge will come along and explain whats achievable.

Again not sure about a communal eating halls but am sure you could rearrange it to make it look like that but I quite liked the NPC that came with the uni cooker as it has potential for other uses for example I have a run down abandoned factory style building I am going to put that cooker into at some stage and play a style of runaway teens living there... I don't see why you cannot remove this function to create some other kind of eating set up but again not sure.

I am sure you can build your own UNI houses as I have seen many newer style UNI builds on other websites for download and I have seen a home neighborhood/world functional small university in Jessa's home neighborhood on you tube so again that must be doable I just don't know how.

there is a list of extra items and game-play explanation on the following link but I cannot find anything about cashiers so I am thinking that animation cashiers came with the open for business expansion pack however if that's true how did your sims buy their clothes/groceries and pay for them when using the base game?

I laughed re the major in the Literature department equates to a CRIMINAL career as I was not aware of that lol Also I think you only send teens to UNI and they possibly age up to young adult while they are there, again not sure ( how many times have I had to say that in this post-)

If you want to check if an item is available for use when building lots just see if that item is available in build/buy mode I think with 2 there are some neighborhood decor/items that cannot be used on home/residential lots but I have a mod to allows me to do that :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_2:_University

• Options
    LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    @SataiDelennn
    The College Majors focus on mainly 3 skills - Criminal Career Track skills are Body, Creativity and Mechanical - so I think this is why it grouped with Literature.
    You can use all objects from University Life in your neighbourhood - a lot of objects are used in Downtown, if you had NightLife installed.
    Only teens and 'townie' teens can attend college.
    In your houses and lot bins, there are special lots and this is where you will find Dorms and other college buildings which you could use.
    If you want to build yourself, the Dorms have to start off as residential lots then be changed "changelotZoning" to Dorms.
    Be aware that if you use really expensive items to furnish the dorms, the students may not be able to afford the rent! :)
    When creating a Dorm, you must use the University Life cooker for a Service Sim to prepare the meals for the dorm residents.
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922 Those 3 terrain zips, don't contain just one terrain each. They contain lots of them just like the zips for the residential lots. I've made over 50 of terrains and most of them are in those zips. You will have a nice selection to choose from. lol You might even like the one I used in the pic (which is an edited version of the real Pleasantview terrain so it has a beach)

@SataiDelennn You can send as many teens as you want to Uni. You can play as many there as you want. You can put some in dorms, together or on their own (the other rooms will fill with 'dormies' which are like townies) and/or you can put some in rental properties, again alone or with others. You are not limited to just one household there. Teens can go to Uni as soon as they age up to teens. There are scholarships they can earn but I can't remember what they are. Your teens can call and see which ones they qualify for though.

Neighborhoods do not share subhoods. Subhoods are the Universities (Uni), Downtowns (Nightlife) and Business (aka Shopping) Districts (Open For Business). The downtowns and shopping districts can be used just like the base neighborhood they are attached too and give you more room for more households (businesses are not limited to just the shopping district, they can be in the basehood or in the downtown but you still need OFB to run them as businesses).

The install dance is even more fun when you have all the expansions and all the stuff packs. lol Which reminds me, you need to patch. I know it told you it was up to date but it lied. I don't have a link on hand but maybe someone else does, you could also google sims 2 patches. Modthesims.com probably has the patches.
  • Options
    AnnabellaroseAnnabellarose Posts: 30 Member
    How do you start a new thread/topic? I read the forum rules, I tried to use the search bar, AND I even tried to PM an admin and I got a message saying that I did not have permission to do that (message the admin)! Sorry to do it here...back to your regularly scheduled thread...
  • Options
    @SleepycatDSL

Sometimes I feel so embarrassed when you are answering my queries as I must sound like a proper noob lol Yes I do like the look of the terrain in the pic but now I know there are so many in one file off I go to download-)

I have spent all day installing the sims complete collection as it arrived this morning and I could not resist trying it out, I had forgotten a Microsoft update required removing for it to work, but now the whole series is installed and I cannot believe how good the graphics look on my widescreen monitor. Now if I could just get used to the camera angles lol
  • Options
    Hi @Annabellarose

when you are in the sims 2 general discussion page section ( link below ) look to the right and see the new discussion in blue, click on that and it should start up a new discussion thread. If that does not work come back onto this thread and ask your question as I am sure we will do whatever we can to help :)

I am aware new members cannot post links so possibly you may have been attempting to try do something you are not yet allowed to making it unable for you to post..

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-2-general-discussion
  • Options
    AnnabellaroseAnnabellarose Posts: 30 Member
    Thank you for your help. I do not see an option to start a new discussion. Are new members limited here? I have also not been able to locate an option to change my forum avatar. As far as I know, I have not violated any rules to give the board cause to limit me or punish me. When do these options open up for new members? Is there an FAQ area that I could consult?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @SPARKY1922 lol Don't be embarrassed cause we've all been there. :smile: When trying to decide on a terrain for a new hood, I often make a few new neighborhoods using my choices (which I call throwaway hoods) to get a better look at the terrains, to see which will work best for me. Then I delete the 'throwaway hoods' since I don't need them anymore. If any of my terrains are close to what you want, feel free to edit them in SC4 to make any changes you want.

@SataiDelennn found the link to the patches.
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS2_Patches
  • Options
    @SleepycatDSL

re the throwaway hoods info as always is good advice, as said before I started first in pleasantview as it was the largest neighborhood then I added so much stuff, ie residential lots sims, community lots etc that I don't want to give it up and thought the only thing I could do was cut and save the neighborhood file and start again with a new pleasnatview map and do it all over again lol

It just never occurred to me to use the add an extra neighborhood because I simply did not understand how it worked but I do now thanks to your picture tutorial and intend to use one neighborhood as a testing ground for things but i am still not sure if I can delete a custom neighborhood safely that sims have been present in can I?

I already tried to watch a tutorial on how to make a sims 2 map in simscity4 on you tube but it went over my head because I have only played simcity4 once or twice before and that was simply to find out what it could do as opposed to thinking about anything sims 2-) I may have another look at that video in future and try get a handle on it.

@Annabellarose

you are welcome, I don't think new members are limited on these forums I am just aware that new members are restricted as to what they can do on the boards..

there is a forum rules info thread on the following link

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801207/updated-forum-rules#latest

I really have no idea why you cannot change your Avatar, I hope someone more techie minded than me might come along with some further info for you to try as I am not sure at all why that could be happening to you...

I found a great player made tutorial concerning the do's and don't of new membership

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/770609/member-or-new-member-everything-you-need-to-know-updated-26-11-14/p1

a complete forum tutorial by the same player

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811263/a-complete-forum-tutorial/p1

I found another thread where some players were having the same problem with their Avatars as you and a member on that thread explains that You need to have 50 points and 30 posts before you can become a member, and can then change your avatar and post pictures.This thread explains about it.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/799145/cant-change-my-profile-picture

Hope that helps to clarify some things for you :)
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @SataiDelennn
    The College Majors focus on mainly 3 skills - Criminal Career Track skills are Body, Creativity and Mechanical - so I think this is why it grouped with Literature.
    You can use all objects from University Life in your neighbourhood - a lot of objects are used in Downtown, if you had NightLife installed.
    Only teens and 'townie' teens can attend college.
    In your houses and lot bins, there are special lots and this is where you will find Dorms and other college buildings which you could use.
    If you want to build yourself, the Dorms have to start off as residential lots then be changed "changelotZoning" to Dorms.
    Be aware that if you use really expensive items to furnish the dorms, the students may not be able to afford the rent! :)
    When creating a Dorm, you must use the University Life cooker for a Service Sim to prepare the meals for the dorm residents.

Thank you! I'll try to remember the "changelotZoning" to make the res lot into a Dorm. I suppose it's similar to what I read in the booklet about changing a dorm or rental unit into a Greek Charter?

I was surprised and a bit pleased to see that in the third college there are no Greek Charters. It will make things interesting.

I was rather surprised there was no restaurant type thing in any of the colleges. I'm curious to know if I can make a restaurant using the Sim Service cooker to have someone else prepare the meals, and have a cash register there for people to pay for their meals? Or is there no way to do that?

@Annabellarose

New members are restricted in their actions in the forums. You'll have to become a full member to be able to quote properly, and start new discussions. Happens somewhere between 30 and 50 likes I think.

@SleepycatDSL

Thank you for the link. I'll need those to fix the things going wrong in my game right now?
    OK, so I looked at the link. I think I see the correct one I need. Do I need to save the game and shut it down, or can I install the patch while the game is running? Also, do I need the patch for the base game too, or just the University? Because except for that initial Nanny feedback loop I was experiencing, I wasn't having any issues (at least, I didn't notice any) in the base game. These weird issues I'm experiencing now happened only after installing University.

Thanks for your help!
    Post edited by SataiDelennn on
  • Options
    @Annabellarose
    Also, you can change your avatar to one that is in the forums, I think, but you have to be a full member to be able to upload one from your computer.
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922 You can delete any neighborhood safely (even the pre-made ones), whether it has sims or not. You're one up on me, I've never actually played SC4, just made terrains. lol I read a tutorial or two on...modthesims I think, that showed me a little. Just jump in and play around, that is what I did. Once you do, the video you watched and anything you have read will probably make more sense.

@SataiDelennn You need OFB to run a business. I don't think you can have any owned businesses in the Uni subhoods. It's not a feature I've done much with. Yes, you need to shut down the game to patch it. I would get both patches (base game & Uni) and install both (base game one first). Patches fix things (whether you see the bugs or not) so you need them. If your game is by some chance already patched, they simply won't install and will give you messages saying the patch is already installed.
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922 You can delete any neighborhood safely (even the pre-made ones), whether it has sims or not. You're one up on me, I've never actually played SC4, just made terrains. lol I read a tutorial or two on...modthesims I think, that showed me a little. Just jump in and play around, that is what I did. Once you do, the video you watched and anything you have read will probably make more sense.

@SataiDelennn You need OFB to run a business. I don't think you can have any owned businesses in the Uni subhoods. It's not a feature I've done much with. Yes, you need to shut down the game to patch it. I would get both patches (base game & Uni) and install both (base game one first). Patches fix things (whether you see the bugs or not) so you need them. If your game is by some chance already patched, they simply won't install and will give you messages saying the patch is already installed.

OFB? What's that? I was just thinking maybe I could install a restaurant type thing similar to the coffee bar. I'm assuming they have to buy their coffee and tea and other drinks (I saw a couple of bar setups around the campus)? But, if I can't, I can't.

OK, thank you for the patch info. I'm thinking I definitely need it because as I mentioned in another thread, the headmaster of Susie's school showed up unexpectedly and apparently was unhappy with the family and felt that they weren't private school material and was checking up on them, but drove off after driving up, so either there was a glitch, or he changed his mind, lol. This game is so weird sometimes.
  • Options
    @SataiDelennn OFB = Open For Business. They don't pay for coffee/drinks at cash registers and they won't for dorm food either.
  • Options
    @SataiDelennn OFB = Open For Business. They don't pay for coffee/drinks at cash registers and they won't for dorm food either.

Oh, OK, so it will be just like my regular town's community pool with the registers, and the arcade lot? Manned registers, but useless because there's nothing to actually buy?
  • Options
    @SataiDelennn Open For Business lets you buy & sell almost everything, but you don't have it. With OFB, you can have a restaurant (uses a different stove) but not in Uni subhoods as far as I know (because Uni came out first).