Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hope they announce something this week!

Comments

• I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
    If The Sims team is hiring new engineers, great! Do you have evidence of this?

Anyhow, it takes creative producers to pass down their knowledge.
    soul-glo.gif
    Let your soul shine through.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited April 2016
    I8PIKACHU wrote: »
    If The Sims team is hiring new engineers, great! Do you have evidence of this?

Anyhow, it takes creative producers to pass down their knowledge.

It's available on careers.ea.com/.

At the moment, they are looking for a Gameplay Engineer, a UI Engineer and have contract offering as QA Analyst and Object Modelers. And there's a bunch of offers for a mobile game.

Some time ago, they were looking for a Creative Director, a Development Director, lots of Animators, Concept Artists, and much more that I don't remember. There's never been a time where I went to http://careers.ea.com/ and didn't see a bunch of offers. They are constantly hiring.
    edited April 2016
    Sure. For a mobile game. I think TS4 is winding down and will probably be that last PC game in the series unless there's a disruptive service to unite devices.

Consider what an extremely basic game such as The Simpsons Tapped Out makes on mobile devices versus the complex coding required for TS4, and the answer is simple: games like TS4 are finished because they are not profitable. I don't like it, but business is business.

Consider this: if micro-transactions are so profitable, why is TS4 unable to do this with frequent updates?

My belief is that it is far too complex to make micro-transactions profitable on the PC medium. Therefore, EA will abandon it for this genre.
    soul-glo.gif
    edited April 2016
    Sure. For a mobile game. I think TS4 is winding down and will probably be that last PC game in the series unless there's a disruptive service to unite devices.

The ones I mentionned were for the PC game only, there were other ones for a mobile game too.
    edited April 2016
    It's hard to judge what those specific jobs are. It could be major positions or simply jobs to keep the servers plugged in.
    soul-glo.gif
    It's hard to judge what those specific jobs are. It could be major positions or simply jobs to keep the servers plugged in.

I think the description were rather telling. Gameplay Engineer is what SimGuruEugi or SimGuruTrev are doing for example.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,387 Member

Consider what an extremely basic game such as The Simpsons Tapped Out makes on mobile devices versus the complex coding required for TS4, and the answer is simple: games like TS4 are finished because they are not profitable. I don't like it, but business is business.

Consider this: if micro-transactions are so profitable, why is TS4 unable to do this with frequent updates?

My belief is that it is far too complex to make micro-transactions profitable on the PC medium. Therefore, EA will abandon it for this genre.

I doubt very seriously TS4 is winding down if anything it has several more years.
    edited April 2016
    I sure hope so. But I am observing similar behavior from Maxis as I, and others, observed as they tried to save Sim City. I called out the insanity when the developers took off on vacation after the release of SimCity and then blamed the code design faults on the servers, when it was the design all along. While this was happening, fans were led to believe the product they purchased was being updated. SimCity was the game that forced EA, of all companies, to implement online game refunds.

The lead Maxis producers and designers have been rightfully fired for this failure. But their culture lives on. With the silence we've experienced, I doubt there is movement because no one at Maxis knows what to do during this crisis but to portray there is no crisis.

Again, consider this: if micro-transactions are so profitable, why is TS4 unable to do this with frequent updates?

If $20 packs are profitable, why don't we see them more often? It's obviously not profitable to make it meet the expectations of players. Mobile devices are simply coded and easy to meet the expectations of players.
    soul-glo.gif
  • Aussie_SimmerAussie_Simmer Posts: 2,623 Member
    I sure hope so. But I am observing similar behavior from Maxis as I, and others, observed as they tried to save Sim City. I called out the insanity when the developers took off on vacation after the release of SimCity and then blamed the code design faults on the servers, when it was the design all along. While this was happening, fans were led to believe the product they purchases was being updated. SimCity was the game that forced EA, of all companies, to implement online game refunds.

The lead Maxis producers and designers have been rightfully fired for this failure. But their culture lives on. With the silence we've experienced, I doubt there is movement because no one at Maxis knows what to do during this crisis but to portray there is no crisis.

Again, consider this: if micro-transactions are so profitable, why is TS4 unable to do this with frequent updates?

If $20 packs are profitable, why don't we see them more often? It's obviously not profitable to make it meet the expectations of players. Mobile devices are simply coded and easy to meet the expectations of players.

Well considering EA has stated that they are making a lot of revenue off Sims 4..... this game is going alright.
    Aussie_Simmer
    I sure hope so. But I am observing similar behavior from Maxis as I, and others, observed as they tried to save Sim City. I called out the insanity when the developers took off on vacation after the release of SimCity and then blamed the code design faults on the servers, when it was the design all along. While this was happening, fans were led to believe the product they purchases was being updated. SimCity was the game that forced EA, of all companies, to implement online game refunds.

Perhaps too much packs leads to diminishing return. It would not surprised me if we all had our own conscious/inconscious budget of "how much we are ready to spend on The Sims" per year/quarter.

But you're wandering into the topic of business model and consumer practices here, and frankly I doubt we have enough data and information to draw any kind of conclusion. We can only observe what happens, both in the mobile and PC market. There are many profitables PC games that don't rely on micro-transactions, it's just one business model among others, not the only one.
    I play The Simpsons Tapped Out mobile game. At first, there were few updates and not much to do. Many players complained of boredom. Now, you will have an update right after a special quest ends -- often having special quests started within quests. At the same time, TS4 players are begging Maxis for simple information.
    soul-glo.gif
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    I hope for an announcement this week as well, I'm really looking forward to the trailer, its just my favourite thing about getting a new pack!

What do ya say @SimGuruDrake , got an excited gif for us today? :mrgreen:
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    Sure. Some big producers have left the company recently. I'll post the links but surely many veterans here know the details...

Here's a recent tweet from a main developer of SimCity, who is attracting Maxis employees to his new company, celebrating his one-year firing with a beer.

Here's an announcement of another Sims engineer who joined a new company:

That's pretty normal gaming-industry turnover.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    I hope for an announcement this week as well, I'm really looking forward to the trailer, its just my favourite thing about getting a new pack!

And the new forum as well.
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member

Wait. New Forum? Did they announce that we'd be getting a new forum? Link please! I've been waiting almost 2 years for this forum to get a new layout/ new "Sim Pages", more colors/customizations, etc. D:
    edited April 2016

Wait. New Forum? Did they announce that we'd be getting a new forum? Link please! I've been waiting almost 2 years for this forum to get a new layout/ new "Sim Pages", more colors/customizations, etc. D:

We always get a new forum under Gamepacks when a title is announced. Right now there is an Outdoor Retreat and Spa Day forum under gamepacks.
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    I am not waiting for any announcement anymore. I will not be upset if they delay the announcement even for next year!

https://youtu.be/wWNI8z0eJQE
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member

We always get a new forum under Gamepacks when a title is announced. Right now there is an Outdoor Retreat and Spa Day forum under gamepacks.

Ohh! You were talking about a new category/sub-category. I thought you were talking about like the actual forum was getting a make-over. :'(
    I am not waiting for any announcement anymore. I will not be upset if they delay the announcement even for next year!

Are you serious?

Please don't give them any ideas.

Ohh! You were talking about a new category/sub-category. I thought you were talking about like the actual forum was getting a make-over. :'(

Yes that s what I meant.
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member

Are you serious?

Please don't give them any ideas.

What to do? its not up to us when EA does not want our money?
    Maybe they are delaying the pack because they want to get it right and make the sims sit still on the chairs in the restaurant.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • shacoriashacoria Posts: 247 Member
    Why do these discussions always seem to go off track? :D
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I'm actually happy that they aren't throwing out products for the sake of making money and are taking their time.

Late 2010 - Early 2015 era of throwing out uninspired content for a quick buck needs to die.

We'll let the new GP be the judge of that.

All I know is they've taken their time with GT, and I am still not impressed.

You may not be, but more people were impressed with GT than anything between Late Night and Get To Work.
    Public reviews around the net showcase this.

This is funny. Do you personally possess a database that collects all this info for you to fling around?

Let's look at Metacritic, which is a widely used site for collecting reviews (both critic and consumer) and creating an average score based on both.

LN - 74 (by your statement everything should be less than this number until we see GT..)
    Gen - 70 -- 1
    Pets - 79 -- exceeds LN metacritic score
    ST - 67 -- 2
    SN - 74 -- meets LN metacritic score.
    Seasons - 73 -- within 1pt of LN score. 3
    UL - 72 -- 4
    IP - 73 -- within 1pt of LN score. 5
    ITF - 80 -- exceeds LN score.

Sims 4 BG - 70
    GTW - 73 -- within 1pt of LN score. 6
    GT - 72 -- 7 (pls check your facts above. I see you said 82, and that is not correct.)

So taking the literal scores given it shows that there were successful EP's inbetween LN and GT. Get together itself scored lower than Late Night, as did The Sims 4 base game and GTW. Out of the 7 packs that had a lower score 3 were within a 1 point difference of LN. Removing those would leave 4 out of 11 EP's with a score noticably lower than Late Night.

This really doesn't mean anything other than to try and stop the promotion of false information here. Metacritic is the source for all data listed and that data is certainly not 100% accurate to begin with so take it as you will.

From following your other posts I really don't see why you need to be rude. "I'm sure someone like you has" this is a derogatory comment. It was intended as one, and comes off as one. Perception of games is a personal thing, if you like GT that's fine but someone else not being impressed doesn't change the game for you. I personally think GT is a shallow EP; it didn't include a whole lot of stuff, and most of what it did include was just base game edits. New world doesn't make up for the massive lack of gameplay, and the club system using base game activities just makes the game feel like you didn't even get anything. Horrible EP, but that's just my opinion.

No need to attack other people, or throw out false data just to try and prove a point that's already based entirely on perception.

Hey....I liked Late Night. It's one of my favourite packs even though the apartments weren't like Apartment Life and paparazzi NPC.

I love the city, and the bouncers, and the movie career and the fact that you can make your own bands etc.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1