Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Affordable Family Housing Challenge!

Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
edited February 20 in Nominated Threads
Hey everyone! I was recently made aware of a want for homes for families that are cheap and functional. As expressed in this thread here, it seems that it is hard to find homes for families that are affordable without the use of money cheats. There are a lot of simmers who like to play realistically and as their families grow, they need homes to grow into that won't break the bank! So i'm kicking off this Affordable Family Housing Challenge!

The goal is simple:
*The house must fit a full-sized family, so anywhere from a 4-7 Sim household (think: mom, dad, few kids, maybe grandma/grandpa live there too.)
*So we're looking for homes with 3, 4 or 5 bedrooms
*Must include everything a family needs, this means kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.
*Purchasing cost (including the lot price) must be under $50,000, or better yet, under $40,000.

To make these homes easier to find in the gallery, i'd suggest using the hashtag #affordablefamilyhousing with your builds.

If you've already built a house or two that fits the bill, the please feel free to share them here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It really is challenging! I've done a few already, and it's proven difficult to include all that i would like to in the way of decorations, hobby and skill items to make the home feel full.

Bargain Bend
5 Bed, 2 Bath
Gallery Price: $38,600
Cost with lot price: $40,600
04-15-16_11-24-01nbspAM_zpsauohhqcp.png
04-15-16_11-24-14nbspAM_zpsidjmded9.png
04-15-16_11-24-25nbspAM_zpsqojdwxl6.png

Fern Park Family
4 Bed, 2 Bath
Gallery Price: $38,425
Cost with lot price: $40,425
04-15-16_11-21-49nbspAM_zpsw8mqbpsb.png
04-15-16_11-21-33nbspAM_zpseiookegf.png
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Jesf8312 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I was recently made aware of a want for homes for families that are cheap and functional. As detailed in this thread here, it seems that it is hard to find homes for families that are affordable without the use of money cheats. There are a lot of simmers who like to play realistically and as their families grow, they need homes to grow into that won't break the bank! So i'm kicking off this Affordable Family Housing Challenge!

The goal is simple:
    The house must fit a full-sized family, so anywhere from a 4-7 Sim household (think: mom, dad, few kids, maybe grandma/grandpa live there too.)
    So we're looking for homes with 3, 4 or 5 bedrooms
    Must include everything a family needs, this means kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.
    Purchasing cost (including the lot price) must be under $50,000, or better yet, under $40,000.

To make these homes easier to find in the gallery, i'd suggest using the hashtag #affordablefamilyhousing with your builds.

If you've already built a house or two that fits the bill, the please feel free to share them here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It really is challenging! I've done a few already, and it's proven difficult to include all that i would like to in the way of decorations, hobby and skill items to make the home feel full.

Bargain Bed
    5 Bed, 2 Bath
    Gallery Price: $38,600
    Cost with lot price: $40,600
    04-15-16_11-24-01nbspAM_zpsauohhqcp.png
    04-15-16_11-24-14nbspAM_zpsidjmded9.png
    04-15-16_11-24-25nbspAM_zpsqojdwxl6.png

Fern Park Family
    4 Bed, 2 Bath
    Gallery Price: $38,425
    Cost with lot price: $40,425
    04-15-16_11-21-49nbspAM_zpsw8mqbpsb.png
    04-15-16_11-21-33nbspAM_zpseiookegf.png

What's awesome is that from the outside I was like "No way do these have 4-5 bedrooms" but they do. And that's amazing. How long is this challenge going for?
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    edited April 2016
    As long as we get simmers to offer up houses? Lol. I've never started a challenge before, so I'm not sure exactly what's the proper way to do it... I just figured I'd let the community know that these homes are needed and see what they come up with :blush:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    As I happen to have read/participated in the other thread, my latest home meets the requirements :)

2 Poplar Close - residential; 40x30; 37.995 (roughly 40K with lot cost); 4 bed, 2 bath; NoCC, NoMOO, basegame only.
    6iwil4.jpg
    kvmth.jpg
    19wm6f.jpg
    2woabyq.jpg
    24wh4d0.jpg
    21mc9di.jpg
    mug77.jpg
    103v0up.jpg
    157zyif.jpg
    f4ir01.jpg
    29ktgdl.jpg
    34dfyg1.jpg
    2ajulmv.jpg

It's part of a matching neighbourhood that consists of budget homes:
    1zby1i.jpg
    Three of those homes come at starter budget (20K, including lot cost) one of which is a 3 bedroom starter. The other house is under 35K and has two bedrooms, but the home office can easily be converted to a third bedroom. More info on the other builds in my showcase thread - because that really would be too many pictures ;)
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    The new challenge that you have started is great! @Jesf8312 :) It will be very helpful for simmers to be able to find affordable homes for their family households that need three or more bedrooms in their home.
    I have posted about 2 Poplar Close on your showcase thread earlier @MDianaSanders so won't post here again, but just wanted to say again that it is a very nice home for a sims family . :)
    @MDianaSanders I love those houses! I love matching neighborhoods! I made the Bargain Bend house I posted above to match the neighborhood that the BFF household is in.

Those houses don't look like bargain houses, but it's awesome that you we're able build them that way!
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Once I get my restaurant finished I will partake in this challenge!!!! Is there a deadline or just share when we are done?

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
    Once I get my restaurant finished I will partake in this challenge!!!! Is there a deadline or just share when we are done?

Yay! Just share when you're done! Can't wait to see your build!
    edited April 2016
    Hey all! i have a new home to share with you!! It's pretty simple, but it's a 5 bed, 2 bath house for under 45k!!
    This one was fun because it's designed around the house i grew up in, it's almost an exact replica!

check it out!
    Beech Byway Family
    Purchase Cost: $44,635

04-21-16_9-18-24nbspAM_zpsdhewszfs.png
    04-21-16_9-18-34nbspAM_zpsebgxxcfq.png
    04-21-16_9-44-17nbspAM_zpsucrptlhu.png

• PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Very nice!!!!! I'm still working on mine.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • vethesimsvethesims Posts: 695 Member
    I tried building a house for this, but failed miserably! haha I'm gonna try again today. :blush:
    Beech Byway Family is a very nice home! @Jesf8312 :) It is very special that you have based the build on your home that you grew up in <3 The flowers and plants in the outdoors areas look nice. Very nice outdoors dining area. Sims will enjoy sitting at the table in the sunshine eating meals that they have cooked on the BBQ. Very nice layout of the interior of the home! It is great that there is a basement level in the home, and that it contains bedrooms. Nice living room area for sims to enjoy resting on the sofa watching tv. The tv looks nice angled into the corner.
    The home is very nice :)
  • KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    Kudos @Jesf8312 and @MDianaSanders, great builds! I find it so hard to stay under 50K budget, ya'll have done a great job creating tasteful builds in that price range.
  • MoriGelopiMoriGelopi Posts: 779 Member
    I've made two homes. One includes a granny annex, but is slightly over budget by $178 when plot cost is included. This was a really fun challenge!

More pictures can be found on my blog post - Here

Happy Family Home

Gallery Cost - $48,178
    With Plot - $50,178

04-23-16_12-19-00nbspPM_zpsmhlaxaqr.png

04-23-16_12-24-54nbspPM_zpskqitoarw.png

04-23-16_12-33-51nbspPM_zps8d08ssvc.png

04-23-16_12-33-43nbspPM_zpscli8ovp8.png

Young Family

Gallery Cost - $38,527
    With Plot - $40,027

04-23-16_2-15-23nbspPM_zpssxasujhq.png

04-23-16_2-16-07nbspPM_zpsqhbfhbug.png

04-23-16_2-18-57nbspPM_zpsersjwkro.png

04-23-16_2-19-04nbspPM_zpsvn2xfgdh.png

Happy Family Home and Young Family are both very nice homes! @MoriGelopi :) Very nice exterior designs of them! The layout and furnishing of the interiors of them are very nice! Very nice roofing on Happy Family Home! The windows look nice how they are placed in the build. The flowers look pretty in the front yard areas. It looks great the way the terrain paint is used for the footpaths. The side entrance looks great. Very nice backyard areas! Nice outdoors dining area. Sims will enjoy cooking meals on the BBQ and eating them at the umbrella covered table in the outdoors air. Child sims will have fun playing on the monkey bars. Nice gardening area for sims to enjoy growing and harvesting plants in the gardening boxes. Very nice light filled living and dining room areas. Sins will enjoy the sunshine coming in onto them through the windows whilst they are sitting on the armchairs resting or are enjoy dining at the table. Very nice outdoors dining and gardening patio in the Young Family build also. Sims will enjoy growing plants in the planters. The placement of the windows in the build looks very nice. The lavender on the front edges of the home looks homely and nice.
    They are very nice homes :)
  • SunnyKegSunnyKeg Posts: 98 Member
    Thanks for this challenge! I'm just coming back to the game after 8 months or more, so it was good inspiration to get started re-learning how to build.

This house has 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and was built with a mid to large sized family in mind. It's out in the countryside with lots of room to expand later, and a nice little garden area. I built the affordable version first then turned it into the version I'm actually playing in my game. I used the Coorinberg Cottage lot.

Bargain Garden
    Gallery Link: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/EC65870809AB11E6819EB45EC46F5166
    $43,962 + cost of lot ($46,962 if you use the Coorinberg Cottage lot, as I did)
    Lot
    26604566725_32fb58e078_o.png
    Downstairs
    26604569115_66e061f0c2_o.png
    Upstairs
    26001315033_dfc122a6c5_o.png

If you're interested, the less affordable/final version is here.
    127 Garden Lane
    Gallery Link: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/07C2A04B09A211E686619D002A7C4901
    $108,808 + cost of lot ($111,808 if you use the Coorinberg Cottage lot, as I did)
    26578376716_f660b6a334_o.png
    Origin ID: SunnyKeg
    Bargain Garden is a very nice home! @kristinemancuso :) Very nice exterior of the home! The exterior wall texture and the dome type windows look nice and complement each other well. Very nice gardening area. Sims will enjoy growing and harvesting plants in the gardening boxes there. The purple flowers look pretty and homely either sides of the front steps. Very nice layout of the interior of the home. Nice windows study desk area for sims to enjoy the sunlight coming in through the windows whilst siting there using the computer. The floral wall pattern looks pretty in the nursery.
    The circular floral feature in the 127 Garden Lane build is so very pretty! The corner nook of flowers is very nice as well.It looks very nice how you used the terrain paint for the pathways.
    Welcome back to simming after your break! :)
  • SunnyKegSunnyKeg Posts: 98 Member
    Thanks so much @rosemow. I only post occasionally, but you are always so kind and supportive of everyone, it's wonderful :)
    Origin ID: SunnyKeg
    @kristinemancuso that's an awesome house! I love how you did two versions of it, and I love the round garden area. Thanks for sharing and welcome back!
    edited April 2016
    It was hard, but I finally managed to do this! I built a 5 bedroom home (master, grandma and grandpa's, teen, girl and twin boys) for $48,489.

Gallery link (or search for my id: vepeixoto03)

1_zpsdfrssezf.jpg

2_zpsfnbxzaya.jpg

3_zpslblrdbod.jpg

4_zpsogxy98or.jpg

5_zpsotza0ywd.jpg

8_zpsztbsr8ervv.jpg

9_zpsvbgvovec.jpg

10_zpskqwe7pja.jpg

11_zpssrdzaff4.jpg

12_zpspvxhrxi3.jpg

14_zpscfgfn1d1.jpg

17_zpsljmpiong.jpg

18_zpsvwof02c9.jpg
    Post edited by vethesims on
    edited April 2016
    Wow!! @vethesims Thats awesone! You did a great job making the house seem full and nicely decorated on such a small budget! I feel like all my attempts are empty and boring, lol. But this is great!
  • StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    Great house, @vethesims ! I feel sorry for the mother, though, who has to do the dishes while everyone else is eating omelets. ;)
    edited April 2016
    @Jesf8312 I chose a small lot so that I could fill all empty spaces without spending too much money and I used a lot of paintings my sims painted to save money in wall decorations. :) I really like your budget houses, especially Bargain Bend and how you made it match the neighborhood that the BFFs live in. I love matching neighborhoods! :blush:

@StSciurus haha I felt bad for her too, but she cooked and ate before everyone else got there, I'm terrible at managing big households! And there was no space for everyone at the table, god knows where the teen daughter was at that moment! hahaha :lol:
    Affordable 5 BR under 50 K is a very nice home! @vethesims :) Very nice exterior design of the home! The roofing and corner looks great! The floral greenery on the exterior walls and the flowers and plants on the front edges of the home look very nice. The gnome and flamingo look cute there! The open shutter windows look nice in the home. Nice seat bench sitting area for sims to rest in the sunshine. The flowers look nice around the base of the trees. Very nice fenced outdoors dining and gardening patio! Sims will enjoy cooking meals on the BBQ and eating them at the umbrella covered table in the sunshine. They will enjoy growing plants in the gardening boxes there. Child sims will have fun playing on the monkey bars. Very nice layout and furnishing of the interior of the home! The living room is very nice. Sims will enjoy sitting on the sofas there, watching tv and reading a book from the bookshelf. The items on the tv table and wall shelf are nice home touches. The coat stand is homely near the front door. Very nice kitchen and dining room. It is nice that there are seating at the table for all the family to enjoy dining together. The pictures on the walls add a very nice look to the room . The flowers on the side wall table are pretty for sims to see when cooking and dining there. Very nice furnishing of the bedrooms! Nice corner reading nook in the master bedroom. The flowers and beauty products are nice touches on the dresser. The candles and butterflies photo are pretty on the bedhead wall shelf. Very nice corner study desk nook in the teen room. She will enjoy sitting there using the computer or reading a book. The floral wall pattern in the girls room is pretty. The pink bunny is cute! The kids drawings look great on the kids bedroom walls! The dinosaur theme of the boys bedroom looks great! The portrait painting on the grandparents bedroom wall is very special for the sims to look at.
    The home is very nice! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top