Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't reinstall Sims 2, PLEASE HELP!

AlorxicoAlorxico Posts: 360 Member
So, about 5 months ago, I tried to play Sims 2 and my computer told me that the game files were corrupt and I needed to reinstall the whole thing. My computer then deleted ALL of the Sims 2 games from my hard-drive as Norton Antivirus said they were dangerous viruses. There was lots of swearing.

Anyway, after I calmed down I grabbed all my disks (yes, I still have all the disks and their boxes and the proof-of-purchase code sheets that came with them) and tried to install the core game. It was at this time I got an error stating the codes were no longer valid. I tried multiple times to install the game but still got the same message. Finally, I logged into Origin to send a help ticket and saw I had the "Digital" edition of Sims 2 as one of my purchased games. So, I hit install and waited. After the game installed, a message came up stating Origin was going to check to ensure the program loaded correctly. After 5 minutes it said the game had NOT loaded correctly, that the files were corrupt and it deleted everything it had just installed.

Rather than throw my computer through a window, I decided to try again in a few months. After all, classes were starting and I needed to focus on school work (hooray graduate studies!) Well, the school year is about to end and I have tried several times to install my Sims 2 games with the same results: the codes are "invalid" and the file from Origin is corrupt.

I REALLY want to play Sims 2. Can ANYONE help me find away to install my games?

~~ Alorxico

Comments

• Options
    SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    Have you tried contacting EA Support to see if there's something they can do? That is odd that you're having such issues with the discs. I have the base TS2 game, and Windows 7, and luckily, I have not encountered the issues you're having. I was thankfully able to just put the disc in and reinstall the game.

Though if you have the digital copy through Origin, someone here might be able to help you. I think I read somewhere around here about trying to repair the digital game, but I have no idea how. Sorry.
  • Options
    AlorxicoAlorxico Posts: 360 Member
    > @SataiDelennn said:
    > Have you tried contacting EA Support to see if there's something they can do? That is odd that you're having such issues with the discs. I have the base TS2 game, and Windows 7, and luckily, I have not encountered the issues you're having. I was thankfully able to just put the disc in and reinstall the game.
    >
    > Though if you have the digital copy through Origin, someone here might be able to help you. I think I read somewhere around here about trying to repair the digital game, but I have no idea how. Sorry.

I contacted EA Support and they pushed something called "Sims 2: The Ultimate Collection" to my computer. From what I have seen on the forums, this is the entire Sims 2 collection. So, while I can now play Sims 2 my issue wasn't fixed. My disks still don't install, so if EA Origin crashes or decides to purge itself of old games, I will lose my game again. Not going to complain too much, though, I am happy to have Sims 2 back on my computer, but I am worried.
  • Options
    SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    Well, yes, I understand the dilemma. But you got the UC! Congrats! Still though, maybe someone here can help you with regards to getting the discs working. There are some very helpful and kind people around here, who are also very tech savvy. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them (tech savvy, that is, lol).
  • Options
    LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    @Alorxico
    Before installing games, you need to do computer maintenance - disk clean up and defragment then restart your computer.
    When you are installing The Sims and Sims2, you have to turn off all background programmes on your computer and disconnect from the internet. These games do not like anti-virus (especially Norton), and if you have the disks the booklet advises you of this.
    If you turn off Norton until system restart, you should be able to install and play Sims2.
    I had Norton installed up until last year, so the games will run.
    Even if you are now using the digital download, I am sure this will apply too.
    Hope this helps?
    Good luck with your game!
  • Options
    taffy550taffy550 Posts: 666 Member
    Yes, it probably is Norton just like @LadysimPlayer8 said. My daughter was having the same issue with another game. She had somehow installed Norton and when I told her to disable it and retry the game it worked.