Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We Waited 4 THAT "Announcement"?

Comments

• DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,756 Member
    I really enjoyed what toddlers added to the game. Especially now that they are gone, you really see that gap. It's a complete regression of the gameplay when you see babies hop from their basinets into kids. I really miss it.

I also agree there are a lot of deep-seated problems in the game, and missing toddlers is just one of them. I don't think I'm original in thinking that TS4 in many ways should have been TS2 and then built from there as SO much is missing from TS4 that we'd spent so much investing in, and becoming accustomed to in TS3
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Valandis wrote: »
    I honestly believe if they distributed more surveys to more players of different ages, they'd get a more accurate idea of what the majority of simmers want. Everyone have been asking since The Sims 3 about more family play and non-party stuff and they kept going back to the party party party. I'm glad we're getting the children stuff pack and a dinner GP but I have no idea why they keep/kept focusing on that.

I'm bothered by the fact that they have been silent for so many weeks now about anything. I'm happy we got the teaser but that's not what I wanted. I thought we were getting a long News Post as to why they're using this "strategy" with news and announcements. Instead it's just "We're going to start with these short teasers every now and then" with no reason as to why.

we actually only had 1 or 2 stuff packs even focusing on "party" play and that's less than the amount of it in The sims 3.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2016
    Arletta wrote: »
    > @Schantal said:
    > By Schantal: "No people are complaining because it was WEEKS with nothing and then finally something comes and it gave us literally no more info than we already knew (people already suspected restaurants). By this time in the Sims 3 we already had FOUR EXPANSIONS plus countless store items and stuff packs..... Also, if the majority of people are upset by it then that means something is clearly wrong. You clearly don't play other games because if you did you would know that there is no other game out right now where the developers do this in this way......you seem to have a major problem (judging by all your posts that I have seen) with people who feel differently than you. You would get a major reality check if you went to ANY other gaming forum such as LoL or Archeage because let me tell you something the people there are BRUTAL, this is toddlers play (no pun intended) compared to that......"

Regarding an answer SimGuruDrake gave to you (in a topic which was closed), Schantal, she said: "We know this type of teaser will not please everyone. Just like we know not everything we release will please everyone. But it will please those who do care for this type of sneak peak into what is coming." (on the topic "WHAT THE FRIG, SIMGURUDRAKE?", open by Klovesjen, at the page 7 - last comment), I just think they should be more careful about the Simmers and what they think.

"We know this type of teaser will not please everyone"? Come on, guys! If you know it, improve a little more the "teaser"! Add an image, or two, I don't know! Or at least prepare people to what they'll really get as info!

When she says: "I asked the community for insight into what they would like to see for pre-announcement info, additionally I've looked through fan sites, reddit, watched live streams, and YouTube videos to get even more insight from the community about this. Based on my research, and comments that were made in response to my inquiry post, it came down to key things that they wanted to know: the type of pack, the theme of the pack, and around the time they can expect news for the pack."...

Well, It's sounds (to me) like she's saying: "I asked you, you said it to me, it's your fault if you're not happy!". Whatta...?!!! NOT the best way to deal with consumers, really!

I ask myself if they didn't think about the possibility of frustrating so many Simmers by posting a 15 seconds video, the teaser. If they cannot say more about the product, why not, at least, to say something like: "guys, next tuesday we'll show you a 15 second video, just a teaser about what is coming. It's not an announcement, but we think you'll love it!". A simpler approach, direct and respectful. And if "the hype" was high, It was not the fault of Simmers.

And I want to make clear that I have nothing against SimGuruDrake or anyone else here. But I believe that they need to change a bit the way they face the frustrations of Simmers and assume their responsibilities for that. I think it is necessary that their attitudes change a little (my suggestion is that they need to be clearer about what kind of information we'll get; and complete the base game first: where are the toddlers?). The same excuses all the time does not make Simmers happier...

She did. It's not verbatim, but the leak from The Sims Latin America happened, Thursday last week. People were building up to a full blown 'They aren't working on toddlers' which is what he'd said, more or less. On one of the threads that was complaining about it, she said something along the lines of:

It's not official unless it comes from EARS (she meant the leak). Next week, on the 19th, we'll give you a look at what's coming up in the next couple of months. It was supposed to be a surprise.

That was it. Nowhere did she say we were going to get full disclosure about what's happening with TS4 or why things had happened as they had. A day later there was a two or three threads all hyping 'the announcement', that it was going to be big and answer all our questions. All put out there by simmers. It was entirely the fault of simmers.

They're never going to be clearer about the sims 4 than they are right now, barring the teaser trailers. They can't talk about future content. Full Stop. The End. They've said it repeatedly. They've emphasised it plenty. People aren't listening. There's a difference.

Well - if you think about it and know the history of The Sims since it's inception - then you sort of know - "that" is all a hazy mirror about the silence and them saying they "can't give future content info" - one only has to look at the history of the Sims game itself - where every year at either the E3 or Gamescom or even at both sometimes there was always a trailer, often a year or more in advance (look at the 2013 E3 and Gamescom where they announced Sims 4 coming, had trailers and some game play with gamers even) - always some form of Q & A with live Maxoids or Guru's as they now refer to the Devs - never mind the tv advertisements, the magazine ads, the billboards, the ingame flyers of coming attractions, the many forum discussions with devs and chats, and more.

It just leaves me rather gape mouthed after being a member of this franchise since day 1 of the first official forum as well as a member of the EA forum (Sims City part mainly) where the coming game was first introduced to gamers every where in early 1999.

It is no wonder so many simmers are angry and frustrated, it is like Maxis changes the rules as they feel like it - and lets face facts - humans like to be able to rely on things they know and not have the rules change when ever others feel like changing them. That's like newer people will state - well that's the rules or they even blame it on EA itself - when us longer time Sims players know that wasn't the rules before - for umpteen years - so it just makes no sense to many of us who do know it was not like this before. At most they would say well we can't show you everything - we need to keep some surprises secret - which was fine and understandable after a 1.5 to 3 minute long trailer and then a sessions of Q & A's between players and devs. We got that - but we had more than enough info to satisfy our hungry Sims info craving beast. Often there were many trailer, periodic screen shots not seen before and even more Q & A before the ep or game finally came out. It was always a sweet surprise and it drove PEPS in the players to colossal heights every single time a new ep was coming for utter months - not like now we learn a drip drop of info in a pretty big bucket and back to silence.

Makes no sense at all to lots of people who have been coming to the OFFICIAL Sims sites for the last 16 plus years.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited April 2016
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    > @Schantal said:
    > By Schantal: "No people are complaining because it was WEEKS with nothing and then finally something comes and it gave us literally no more info than we already knew (people already suspected restaurants). By this time in the Sims 3 we already had FOUR EXPANSIONS plus countless store items and stuff packs..... Also, if the majority of people are upset by it then that means something is clearly wrong. You clearly don't play other games because if you did you would know that there is no other game out right now where the developers do this in this way......you seem to have a major problem (judging by all your posts that I have seen) with people who feel differently than you. You would get a major reality check if you went to ANY other gaming forum such as LoL or Archeage because let me tell you something the people there are BRUTAL, this is toddlers play (no pun intended) compared to that......"

Regarding an answer SimGuruDrake gave to you (in a topic which was closed), Schantal, she said: "We know this type of teaser will not please everyone. Just like we know not everything we release will please everyone. But it will please those who do care for this type of sneak peak into what is coming." (on the topic "WHAT THE FRIG, SIMGURUDRAKE?", open by Klovesjen, at the page 7 - last comment), I just think they should be more careful about the Simmers and what they think.

"We know this type of teaser will not please everyone"? Come on, guys! If you know it, improve a little more the "teaser"! Add an image, or two, I don't know! Or at least prepare people to what they'll really get as info!

When she says: "I asked the community for insight into what they would like to see for pre-announcement info, additionally I've looked through fan sites, reddit, watched live streams, and YouTube videos to get even more insight from the community about this. Based on my research, and comments that were made in response to my inquiry post, it came down to key things that they wanted to know: the type of pack, the theme of the pack, and around the time they can expect news for the pack."...

Well, It's sounds (to me) like she's saying: "I asked you, you said it to me, it's your fault if you're not happy!". Whatta...?!!! NOT the best way to deal with consumers, really!

I ask myself if they didn't think about the possibility of frustrating so many Simmers by posting a 15 seconds video, the teaser. If they cannot say more about the product, why not, at least, to say something like: "guys, next tuesday we'll show you a 15 second video, just a teaser about what is coming. It's not an announcement, but we think you'll love it!". A simpler approach, direct and respectful. And if "the hype" was high, It was not the fault of Simmers.

And I want to make clear that I have nothing against SimGuruDrake or anyone else here. But I believe that they need to change a bit the way they face the frustrations of Simmers and assume their responsibilities for that. I think it is necessary that their attitudes change a little (my suggestion is that they need to be clearer about what kind of information we'll get; and complete the base game first: where are the toddlers?). The same excuses all the time does not make Simmers happier...

She did. It's not verbatim, but the leak from The Sims Latin America happened, Thursday last week. People were building up to a full blown 'They aren't working on toddlers' which is what he'd said, more or less. On one of the threads that was complaining about it, she said something along the lines of:

It's not official unless it comes from EARS (she meant the leak). Next week, on the 19th, we'll give you a look at what's coming up in the next couple of months. It was supposed to be a surprise.

That was it. Nowhere did she say we were going to get full disclosure about what's happening with TS4 or why things had happened as they had. A day later there was a two or three threads all hyping 'the announcement', that it was going to be big and answer all our questions. All put out there by simmers. It was entirely the fault of simmers.

They're never going to be clearer about the sims 4 than they are right now, barring the teaser trailers. They can't talk about future content. Full Stop. The End. They've said it repeatedly. They've emphasised it plenty. People aren't listening. There's a difference.

Well - if you think about it and know the history of The Sims since it's inception - then you sort of know - "that" is all a hazy mirror about the silence and them saying they "can't give future content info" - one only has to look at the history of the Sims game itself - where every year at either the E3 or Gamescom or even at both sometimes there was always a trailer - always some form of Q & A with live Maxoids or Guru's as they now refer to the Devs - never mind the tv advertisements, the magazine ads, the billboards, the ingame flyers of coming attractions, the many forum discussions with devs and chats, and more.

It just leaves me rather gape mouthed after being a member of this franchise since day 1 of the first official forum as well as a member of the EA forum (Sims City part mainly) where the coming game was first introduced to gamers every where in early 1999.

There's a difference between when the product is announced and/or allowed to be advertised and talking about future projects before whatever point they're allowed to. I know (as I suspect you do) that they sign a contract that says that they're not allowed to mention what they're working on until such and such a date, and on occasions, such and such a time and sometimes not at all. Fired and sued would scare me into silence.

Somewhere between then and now (I suspect the pre-alpha 'promise' caused it, but it's something I will never know) the rules apparently changed. It doesn't matter how they worked then. What does is now.

The only time I've ever known full disclosure into what was coming was toward the end of TS3 when they announced the whole line up at once. You can argue against what I'm saying. I don't mind. In the end, it doesn't seem to make a difference what you want or how long you've played or how much you've spent, for whatever reason, they aren't saying what they're working on. Nothing is budging whomever made that decision and whatever caused it.

ETA for your edit: They can change the rules. It's their rules. We don't own them, nor, contrary to belief, do they owe us anything. I've never said that the frustration doesn't make sense. It does. Shouting louder doesn't change it though.

The rule change to us doesn't make sense. I'm fairly sure they've got some fairly solid reasons for it. They don't have to explain it to us. It is simply how it is NOW. Like I said, then doesn't matter. Now does.
    Post edited by Arletta on
  • JellyEyesJellyEyes Posts: 354 Member
    I thought it was well put together. They always do a great job with the music. I really like the ad art/animated commercials for this version of the sims. They're cute. I did expect more information, but its nice to have an idea at least of what's coming. I'm curious about both packs, so I guess it did it's job.
  • ShearsyShearsy Posts: 727 Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm happy. They said they have teased us and I have been teased. They said they'll be continuing with the teasers and keeping us more informed so I can't complain. :) I'm glad EA have decided to be less secretive.

Oh and finally restaurants! They must of listened! Hopefully we can run our own or I have to admit I'd be really gutted.

Edit: worded wrong. Was on my way home from work.
    Post edited by Shearsy on
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Shearsy wrote: »
    I'm happy. They said they were going to tease us and I have been teased. They said they'll be continuing with the teasers and keeping us more informed so I can't complain. :) I'm glad EA have decided to be less secretive.

Oh and finally restaurants! They must of listened! Hopefully we can run our own or I have to admit I'd be really gutted.

This is what SG Drake said.

"Now that we have that out of the way, I’d like to give you something that is official and that I’ve been helping work on: On Tuesday, April 19, we will be providing you with a look at content to come to The Sims 4 in the next couple months. I will have more information for you about this then, but am excited for you to see what we have in store."

We did get a look at content but unless I missed it there wasn't "more information". Nothing about being teased. Maybe on Twitter? I don't know I don't post there.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I'm happy. They said they were going to tease us and I have been teased. They said they'll be continuing with the teasers and keeping us more informed so I can't complain. :) I'm glad EA have decided to be less secretive.

"Now that we have that out of the way, I’d like to give you something that is official and that I’ve been helping work on: On Tuesday, April 19, we will be providing you with a look at content to come to The Sims 4 in the next couple months. I will have more information for you about this then, but am excited for you to see what we have in store."

We did get a look at content but unless I missed it there wasn't "more information". Nothing about being teased. Maybe on Twitter? I don't know I don't post there.

The tease was supposed to be a surprise if that's what you mean.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

I was referring to this

"They said they were going to tease us and I have been teased."

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • ShearsyShearsy Posts: 727 Member
    edited April 2016

The video was a glimpse of what is to come, I see that being teased. Yeah they didn't exactly give you detailed information but they did inform you on what they are working on which is, in a way, information. I'm just happy not to be in the dark. Finally I have things to look forward to instead of "POP here's a new pack!".

EDIT AGAIN: Yeah I worded it wrong haha.

• ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

I'm assuming the "more information" is in regards to the post/info shared on how they would be doing the quarterly teasers for us.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

I was referring to this

"They said they were going to tease us and I have been teased."

Ah okay.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    People of this thread. I have come in piece.

But FYI the trailer "announced" a GP and a SP. Which is great. I don't see what is your issue.

SumGuruDrake has been more active which is great.

In what comes to both packs all in it's time. We know what's coming and that is info that is news. But regarding what's in them we will know when they are fully announced and ready for release.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)

You can find the "more information" here: forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/884785/a-look-ahead-for-spring-early-summer-2016#latest :)
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • jujuwahjujuwah Posts: 96 Member
    @QDog
    Thank you for correcting me ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
    tumblr_o45xj6Y6ew1tkowr1o3_1280.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    So, it was basically an announcement about an announcement then if it's just linking SGLyndsay's statement about sneak peeks. O.K. then, then I won't be waiting around for a blog or more 'news' about that sneak peak anytime soon.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

You can find the "more information" here: forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/884785/a-look-ahead-for-spring-early-summer-2016#latest :)

Thanks SG Drake. I had seen that. That doesn't really add more information in the way a lot of players have been wanting. I, and others, thought there was to be a bit more of an open dialog communication.
  • JayytaughtyouJayytaughtyou Posts: 90 Member
    I've watched it like a hundred times to try to see what is going to be in it. It did it's job, and it made me excited. I was so disappointed in GT so I hope they win me over in the next few months.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member

Thanks SG Drake. I had seen that. That doesn't really add more information in the way a lot of players have been wanting. I, and others, thought there was to be a bit more of an open dialog communication.

Quick question: Why did you think there was going to be more of an open dialogue communication?

• PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited April 2016
    You need to realize this is a business. And in business, timing is everything. It's not just about what you want. Announcements are made when they are made for a lot of reasons (and EA being a listed company, I'm sure these kind of announcements take a lot of thought since among other reasons they can affect stock price; and I'm sure there are many other reasons). So we'll get more info when timing is right and when the release is closer. For now, we have been given information as regards the theme of the next two packs, which is great considering we have only had silence for the past few weeks. A few weeks ago people were begging for any kind of information and some simmers even said they would be happy just knowing "the title of the next pack". Now we get a teaser and some simmers are unhappy and complain because they want full disclosure about every feature in the next pack. This is getting ridiculous really. They give us an inch and we ask for a yard...
    edited April 2016
    QDog wrote: »
    You need to realize this is a business. And in business, timing is everything. It's not just about what you want. Announcements are made when they are made for a lot of reasons (and EA being a listed company, I'm sure these kind of announcements take a lot of thought since among other reasons they can affect stock price; and I'm sure there are many other reasons). So we'll get more info when timing is right and when the release is closer. For now, we have been given information as regards the theme of the next two packs, which is great considering we have only had silence for the past few weeks. A few weeks ago people were begging for any kind of information and some simmers even said they would be happy just knowing "the title of the next pack". Now we get a teaser and some simmers are unhappy and complain because they want full disclosure about every feature in the next pack. This is getting ridiculous really. They give us an inch and we ask for a yard...

NO see - don't blame EA - as this is EA's news and blogs just for this week - lots of news - trailers- and lots of conversation. This is what EA does - not what Maxis does because Maxis does what Maxis wants to do - not what their parent company - Electronic Arts does. As a stock holder in EA since 2007 don't tell me what stock holders want.

Even read our own Lindsay was at the EA DEVCOM this week as part of the round table. Sweet. Info about one of our own Head Maxis Gurus - hmmm you'd think maybe Maxis could have shared that even. Of course not - I had to actually go to the EA.com site to know that.

http://www.ea.com/news

In dreams - I LIVE!

Quick question: Why did you think there was going to be more of an open dialogue communication?

Maybe because I just can't see a 15 second video as communication. I guess I'm just used to the usual way of thinking of communication....it's an exchange of information.

When someone says "here look at this" they are showing me something. When Someone engages me in an exchange of news, ideas or other dialog we are communicating.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    So, it was basically an announcement about an announcement then if it's just linking SGLyndsay's statement about sneak peeks. O.K. then, then I won't be waiting around for a blog or more 'news' about that sneak peak anytime soon.

You will get more news about the packs on their announce date. These are simply an addition to our communications so you get a look ahead for whats to come. Example: You now know that between April - June you are confirmed to get a Restaurants themed Game Pack and a Kids focused Stuff Pack. In the teaser we also placed easter eggs for some free content that will appear in patches between April - June (I know people like to look through videos / images for additional hints at things so we thought it would be fun to sprinkle those in there to see who would notice what.)

That picture insert with sims in pjs and using a home furniture set - perhaps that was an easter egg of sorts, maybe information wise?

The clown we got today was there. Pretty sure that is an easter egg.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I wonder if the sims in PJs mean there are going to be pop-up restaurants? I think the idea, is that you go to someone's home and can eat there. A star on the map, like is Sims 3. That could be fun.