Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

☆☆ Sims 4 Quality Control Practice Challenges ☆☆

Comments

• Cbear13Cbear13 Posts: 6,278 Member
    Ive placed lights on fences many times and never used basement walls and had no issues
    New%20siggie%2011th%20Nov%2015.jpg
    ✦✦ Origin ID: cbear1313 ✦✦ Gallery: cbear1313 Gallery ✦✦ Cbear's Creations ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Practice Challenges ✦✦
  • StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    Cbear13 wrote: »
    Ive placed lights on fences many times and never used basement walls and had no issues

You have never had the problem of placing the lights on the fences and when the lot is placed somewhere new, all the lights have sunk to the ground? That is what happened to me, and what set me off on a quest to figure out how to keep the lights from falling to the ground when the lot gets placed somewhere else.

I always test by replacing lot and havent had it happen I use the ALT button to place them where I want
    I will do some fiddling in game though see if I can figure out what makes them drop

@crysk is more of an expert on the basement spaces than me
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
  • VioletRedVioletRed Posts: 261 Member
    @Cbear13 Wonderful tips! I love putting the seating areas on a platform, never thought of that. It looks SO much better. Between you and @crysk I'm learning so much already. You guys are awesome!!

Only thing, my lot is built in Oasis Springs so I ground in the your first pic is intentional like that so it'll blend with the natural dry bare ground outside the fence. I should have mentioned that when posting, sorry.
    Origin ID: Xieria
    @emere feedback for Challenge 2 - Part 1
    My QCPractice 1/3

I love the whimsical feel to this landscaping and cant wait to see it finished. From a decoration point of view I dont really have any critique, great use of terrain paint for your theme. I cant spot any areas that look bare at all all I can comment on for the front yard is that the path doesnt actually connect to the footpath so I would connect it for an entrance for sims.

And I didnt spot any issues with placement in the front so well done

For the back yard, I probably wouldn't use the alien mushroom (pictured) on the paths as sims cant walk over these it would of been better to place this in the garden beds somewhere. (ignore my sim he likes to photo bomb my pictures). Though the sim can walk around the mushroom I have seen plenty of builds where it blocks the way and seeing as it makes them walk around the path that on it its a bit strange.

emere%201.jpg

Also in the back I found this fish fountain looking out of place because the water was hitting the ground and not into the water which would of made it look like it belonged (again sorry about my sim hes being very cheeky today)

Emere%202.jpg

I absolutely love the style of your pool and garden area, its so unique in its design which I love seeing new things. The backdrop is stunning.
    One tip I do have when decorating the floor is it looks unfinished on the sides of this pattern because it just stops

If you hit CTRL button and F button at the same time once you have selected the tile you want to use, it will give you a quarter piece of the tile, then if you use your arrow buttons to turn the design around you can match them up to make new designs. And you can match this design on the other side of the pool floor and the garden patio that you have used these tiles on also.

emere%203.jpg

Lastly the night view is quite dark in a lot of places, especially for a whimsical theme you really want it to look magical and lights are the best way for this. I will just show you the front but there were spots in the back that were quite dark also

emere%204.jpg

Also you will notice in the after shot of the night view the statue is light up quite bright, I actually used bb.moveobjects and then the 9 button to raise an outdoor light up into the middle of it, so the light is hidden but it lightens up the whole statue. ( I use this trick all the time its one of my favs).
    So many people always forget night view but we always check it when judging and I feel its beneficial if you want people using your builds as they will at some point play it at night time.

Cant wait to see the finished build with your theme and great job.

@VioletRed I did see that in your pictures and maybe its just a personal preference of mine but I think it would be more effective to just erase the paint on the outside of the fence seeing as your using a fence. People who download wont always place it on the same ground you built on (you didnt do anything wrong it was just a tip to make it look better)
    Attention.png
    Practice Challenge 2 - Part 2 is now posted on page 1, please attach the form when you have complete this part and are posting on the thread
    Part 2: House Exterior, Patio and Roofing found here

If I missed anyone for feedback on part 1 please let me know and I will get to it asap, also for any new people please feel free to do any challenge or part at anytime and if you would like feedback just add the form which can be found with the challenges on page 1 to your post.
  • Amiejaidenalbie_1988Amiejaidenalbie_1988 Posts: 224 Member
    edited April 2016
    Origin ID: amiejaidenalbie
    Challenge/Part no: Challange 2 part 2
    Lot name that you built on: Hallow Slough
    Would you like feedback:Yes please, I’m happy for it to go straight on the thread
    I have also made alterations to the first part of the challange using your ideas @crysk and @Cbear13

https://www.thesims.com/en_AU/gallery/FEEC9F8707B311E68628C89A389CFD11?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=Amiejaidenalbie&max=50&maxis=false

Ubh7Bh9.jpg
    AkzA1ey.jpg
    7y7QNYl.png
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Your part 2 of the bulld looks very nice! @Amiejaidenalbie_1988 :) Very nice slanted roofing. The planter boxes look nice on the windows. The water fountains looks very nice on the edges of the front of home and the patio. The lattice roof patio looks very nice! Very nice rooftop meditation patio! It is a very nice quiet place for sims to enjoy sitting on the stool meditating and looking out at the views. The candles on the ground and on the table ledge give a restful and calming look to the patio. Sims will enjoy the nice aroma of the incense whilst sitting there. The zen decor item, rocks and plant are nice touches in the corner nook. The addition of the trees in the outdoors dining patio gives a great look to the area. The way you have placed the hedging along the front fencing looks very nice!
    The build is looking great :)
    Thank you very much @rosemow
  • cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    @Amiejaidenalbie_1988 I just tripped over this when browsing the gallery. Is it juts me or did that person reupload your built?
    ccBcpyk.jpg
  • lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    Here’s my Part 2: House Exterior and Roofing

I decided to remove the two “strait trallin” arches or arbours or whatever they are lol because with the roof's on it started to look over cluttered. And, I think for me that’s a good thing to keep in mind as I'm building. If I've made something I like but it doesn't go with the overall theme or maybe even will make my upload pics look odd just take it out and use that idea on a different build at a later date.
    pc1.jpg

I also took out the llama topiary’s and added a small back porch and a door out into the back garden. As I wasn't thinking about this while doing landscaping haha!
    pc3.jpg

I've used three different sized windows but they are all the same kind to give it more cohesive look.
    The Lattice style roofing I did over the patio was done in a chevron pattern instead of doing squares or diamonds. I think it makes it look a bit more interesting. For the roofing on the house I used pitched roof with white trim to blend with the rest of the white I used in the columns and trim around the lattice roof. I extended a pitched roof from the main roof to over part up the upstairs patio to add a bit more height to the side of the build. I also think the chimney stack achieves the same thing on the other side of the build. I added the fossil pillars to add a bit of texture and interest to parts of the exterior.
    pc2.jpg

I chose to use 2 different kinds of light on the exterior of the build for night time lighting and to break up some of the siding. The siding was mixed with a white textured wall covering to the smaller bit in the front.
    pc4.jpg

Thanks for the fun practice @Cbear13 and @crysk :)
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

edited April 2016
    @Amiejaidenalbie_1988 I finished going through your new built ;) The way you changed the pathing to something more modern looks great.

Personally I think extending that one fountain to the side as well will make the built look a bit more organized. The wall looks a bit bare on this side, maybe at another window?
    And maybe as well extend the garden along the fence on the other side.
    RtgDxXa.jpg

I feel like you put a few too many lights here. Replacing one on the patio with a wall decoration really changes the look.
    A4KydKs.jpg

The lattice roof looks good, but it felt a bit bare to me. Adding some plants works wonders.
    6haeLmd.jpg

You might have noticed, that the roof cuts of the fence and leaves an ugly hole (a kid could climb the roof and fall down :anguished: )
    Combining your fence with half walls closes that hole.
    The roof you chose would cut through the halfwall and look weird, so combining it with another roof type to fit with the wall works wonders.
    f7zAIUw.jpg
    CMDyxYs.jpg

I noticed that you used alot of wall lights. It's good to light up the house, but it feels like it is way too much. Some areas are too bright.
    Either reduce the lights or dim them in live mode, best done during night.
    This picture shows the difference after dimming. Sadly the difference is more noticeable in the game itself.
    vxktLqr.jpg

I played around with the colors of your wall paints and made some changes I think makes it look better.
    J8lxeJc.jpg?1
    Kj1G9BT.jpg?1

Edit: After seeing @lisa17ann exterior I remembered that I forgot to look at your roof :sweat_smile: Maybe add some roof decorations to make it less empty. A chimney (can also be made with halfwalls) or a satellite dish.
    ccBcpyk.jpg
    @lisa17ann you are welcome. Feel free to give advice as well.
    I think the way you did the lattice roofing looks like its arched upwards from the angle you took the picture :smiley:

Now I need some help... I can'T decide on the roof for the front. Which looks better?
    CV8JfIi.jpg
    HRnMy9T.jpg
    ccBcpyk.jpg
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Your build looks very nice! @lisa17ann :) It was great reading the helpful accompanying descriptions of what you did in your build. The colour and texture of the exterior looks nice. The type of lattice used gives a very nice look to the area. The planter boxes on the windows add to the nice look of the build. Very nice roofing! It looks great the way the roofing extends over the upper patio.
    Thank you @crysk
    Which roof type did you use to stop it cutting into the walls? I might change my light choice as I know the ones I used are a lot brighter than a lot of the others. I like how you've added the plants into the lattice and also extended the fountain down the other side.
    Omg, just seen your other comment @crysk I can't believe how cheeky that person is. They've not even changed anything just a straight upload!
    edited April 2016
    @Amiejaidenalbie_1988 the half hipped one
    ccBcpyk.jpg
    Omg, just seen your other comment @crysk I can't believe how cheeky that person is. They've not even changed anything just a straight upload!
    They even kept the hashtag ;)

ccBcpyk.jpg
    Great, thanks.

What a donut!
    Thanks @rosemow and @crysk :) it kind of is a optical illusion isn't it lol

As for the roofing...Its hard for me to tell with the picture being so close (although I understand why lol) but my personal preference is the one that goes all the way across as the smaller one feels like its just ended for no reason lol

Oh isn't it horrible when people reupload your stuff @Amiejaidenalbie_1988 i had a few of mine done and they changed them so they look awful and then uploaded them :D i hope they are to young to understand what they are doing if not they are just bad people lol

@lisa17ann it totally is an optical illusion :smiley: if you have 2D games its great fun creating such illusions :wink:

with the smaller roof on my house I feel like that wall is too empty there ;)

Actually I have the feeling that person knows excactly what they are doing, they have comments turned off and there are several others lots with a different original by in their gallery.
    ccBcpyk.jpg
    i will never understand these re-up loaders! disgraceful! :s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top