Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

so excited about what's to come, but saddened by the community

Comments

• Options
    Wasting_NightWasting_Night Posts: 800 Member
    I'm usually the first one to call Maxis and EA out when it comes to things like this but even I think people getting upset at the news is ridiculous. They delivered exactly what they promised - news on upcoming content coming in the next few months. So what if it's not toddlers or pets? I want those too but people upset at that are just victims of expecting too much from Maxis at this point.
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    Toddlers and pets will come eventually. Although I don't really care for having toddlers, I would definitely like pets ASAP! However, I'm patient and can wait. I am actually very glad they are working on the restaurant portion to the game. As mentioned earlier, this is one thing I really wanted in the SIMS 4. I also want weather back! So many things... We just got keep patient! I'm always coming back and checking for updates and the such on the SIMS 4. I am a huge fan of this game, and I have to say that it's my favourite game ever! I'll always continue buying every single thing for the SIMS4 just to support the game. If I have to rank my personal preference of the top three expansions I would like to see being released they would be 1. Seasons, 2. Pets, 3. Island Paradise. Anyway, I'm excited for anything they released! :D
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I read the forum first, thought to myself "what could possibly be so bad?", found and watched the teaser, and then was like... "what was so bad about it again??" lol.

This place likes to blow everything out of proportion as usual. It was a fun teaser. I'm looking forward to the packs. More stuff.

Teaser trailers are always short -- remember we had the three teaser trailers about different aspects in Get Together, then they explained in more detail.

I'm actually more interested in the Children's SP than in the GP (though I'll likely get both); I enjoy playing children in Sims 4 (even without The Age Stage Which Shall Not Be Named) so this SP will flesh out the stage even more. I'm holding out hope for bunk beds, and I wonder if that chest might be a costume chest like in Sims 3 Generations and children will be able to play dress-up and let's pretend. I would love to have more kid-geared decor and furniture, for one.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I understand where you're coming from. Personally, I did not want restauraunts as I was hoping for completely differen't content that we haven't yet had a snippet of, like seasons, apartments, toddlers or maybe even a huge stuff pack filled with new furniture and what not, but that doesn't mean I will complain. Some people can be quite aggressive with their opinions. I know a lot of people are excited to have restaurants and even though I'm not one of them, I will probably still buy the pack as it will most likely open the possibilities for a different form of gameplay.

That being said, I am super excited for the kids pack. Hopefully we will get new activities and furniture. My gameplay revolves around family play and modern aspects. Restaurants weren't what I was hoping for but I'm still looking forward to see the content that will be included.

I'll be interested in restaurants if families can go, including children -- I've still got a bad taste from Sims 3's interpretation of restaurants (the Bistro set) that left out kids because they couldn't use the menus. Weak! (The Bistro set did come in handy with University Life though; I added them to my dorms and no more starving Sims or random kitchen fires.)

I'm extremely interested in the children's stuff pack -- not to jump on the hype train but it could be possibly fleshing out the life stages a bit more in preparation for toddlers and/or pre-teens. I wouldn't mind seeing a Teen Stuff pack sometime before fall if that's the case.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    @GoddessSims
    Feel the need to send you a hug. I understand what you go through. The forums are very small potatoes next to the strength it takes to deal with what you do on a daily basis.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    I really don't understand it either. People were complaining that EA does not give us any info whatsoever. So, they gave us a teaser on what's to come + assurance that now they will give us teasers on the future content 2-3 months in advance. Now people are mad again. People complain (myself included), that there is too little gameplay for children- they give us a SP dedicated specificaly to children ( Which I am happy for). People are still mad. Many people wanted restaurants the way that w had them in TS2- we get a restaurant GP this spring. People are stil mad.
    It's like no matter what developers do, people are unhappy. People went on a rampage about god 🐸🐸🐸🐸 15 second trailer which was NOT supposed to show us everything the packs had to offer. Remember GT? After the first teaser there was a rampage too, but GT turned out to be an exellent expansion.
    I think the problem is that people do not know, themselves, what they really want. And if they do, they expect EA to make it within a day. That is not how game development works. Yes, I do miss toddlers and I do think they should have been in the base game, but I do not expect EA to make them within a week. They marked toddler idea's thread- which is good enough for me. It means they are listening. One more problem, imo, is that people hype themselves for no real reason. Before the spring challenge announcment, EA was silent for a bit and everyone hyped themselves so much, they thought toddlers would be announced. Of c, for those people, spring challenge was a disappointment.
    I think we all need to be more patient. Sure, TS4 has some flaws, but I really like the game and do believe, that in time, things like toddlers will be brought back. But such things cannot happen within a fortnight. I rarely see people talking about what is nice about TS4, which is a shame. I can honestly say, that I would not visit forums a lot if I was a guru too. Etspecially after announcments.
  • Options
    TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    Well, we all know that people with negative opinions often speak louder than those who want to stay positive. And the expectations building up towards this "look at what's to come" (turning it into a "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!") made me understand that there would be a lot of shouting and disappointment on the forums yesterday (now it's 8 am on the 20th where I live). Knowing this, I stayed away from the discussion. And I'm guessing a lot of other simmers who don't want to participate in the negativity did as well, which is probably part of the reason why it was so overwhelming.
  • Options
    GviperGviper Posts: 45 Member
    > @mirta000 said:
    > So I got home from university today and I tracked down the glimpse of the teaser trailer. It made me so happy! Restaurants coming in spring meant that at most they're a month away and very close to my birthday (I'm born May 14th), I immediately started thinking of my let's play family, how I could run a restaurant (Finally!!!), how maybe pizza oven is coming back and (gasp) speculations of sushi bar on youtube comments? Made me immediately think that maybe there will be a new cooking related skill (like we have baking now), or maybe we will just get a lot of food added. It made me think of all of the designs I could do with already existing objects and speculate what new ones we will be getting. The chairs shown in the trailer didn't excite me much, but I have such a huge selection of modern chairs and seen so many people do good looking cafes that I got really excited!
    > That followed by a snippet of a kids themed stuff pack. My head went "BUNK BEDS" even though chances are we won't get one :D . Makes me think what will be that new type of activity item as all stuffpacks get one and just how many new toys and furniture we will get. I really loved Teen Stuff from The Sims 2 and it seemed so nice to see something family oriented on the way.
    >
    > So I decided to come to the forums. And its probably the worst mistake I could have done. I really really wanted to share. To have a conversation. To see other people as excited as me. I got met with a page of nothing but negativity. "Who even asked for restaurants?" one topic states. "What the frig simguru?" another yells. "There's no toddlers!" X5 somewhere mixed up in there. "The icon for children's stuff pack looks like toddlers and you're mocking us!" another simmer yells. And it made me feel so so alone. I appreciate the freedom of speech that simgurus give to people here to express positive and negative opinions, but there's just so much negative that as a simmer I feel not welcome anymore. I feel like the site that we had to come over and share was taken over by nothing but complaints. Not picture threads. Not new creations. Not speculation. Just never ending anger. And we don't have as big of a community anywhere else. Where am I supposed to go if I want to be excited about the game? Share it with my boyfriend even though he is into completely different games? Squeal to my FFXIV guild, even though most of them never touched sims in their life? All of this negativity here is seriously getting me down. And it can't be healthy for the forum, or for the community, or for anyone involved.
    >
    > EDIT: I made a video about this to just get it off my chest. I hope I didn't insult anyone as I do show the forums in it
    >
    >
    >
    > that being said all the comments here made me feel so much better. I think I'm ready to just ignore a bunch of people and engage in a more positive manner. Thank you for making me feel welcome here :)

You might start at doing yourself a favor by reading the thread topic lines first. Not full-proof but it helps. Personally, I'm sick of hearing about the travesty and capital crime that is toddlers not being in the game. So, I try to avoid the threads that sound likely to contain such comments. Doesn't always work though. Hey, if it's totally free then the negativity comes with that. I might be insulted or disagree with your video, but might that be the price of an open and free forum. Kinda funny how this forum in some ways is a microcosm of American society...
  • Options
    HopeinenHopeinen Posts: 316 Member
    I think the whole announcement was hyped up too much here on the forums, some people then got their expectations too high and were disappointed.

Restaurants sound interesting and i might purchase that GP if i find it interesting enough(or if they include a new world which i doubt), and i am sure there are plenty of players who rejoice about the kids stuff pack.

But the only real surprise was the kids stuff, the rumors about the restaurants have been going on for months.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    @GoddessSims
    Feel the need to send you a hug. I understand what you go through. The forums are very small potatoes next to the strength it takes to deal with what you do on a daily basis.

Thank you!!!!! The hug felt great!!! There are days I do just need hug!

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    meepweepmeepweep Posts: 309 Member
    I think the reason for so many people's disappointment comes down to expecting more. When the gurus said there was a "big announcement" people assumed it was going to be a release day and real trailer for the Game Pack. When the announcement turned out to be "what's to come" teaser trailers, and a 15 sec video, people were disappointed because they didn't get a date.

My initial reaction was slight disappointment as well, but after thinking it over a few times I was content with the information we received yesterday. I think a big problem that forum users have is putting their first reactions out into the world too soon, without a second thought. It can really put a strain on the community as a whole.

I'm not saying that you're not allowed to be disappointed, not at all. It's not like people are going to agree on everything, and creating posts that explain why you hoped for more can be productive as well.

My only advice is to just think things over a little bit before posting an opinion.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited April 2016
    meepweep wrote: »
    I think the reason for so many people's disappointment comes down to expecting more. When the gurus said there was a "big announcement" people assumed it was going to be a release day and real trailer for the Game Pack. When the announcement turned out to be "what's to come" teaser trailers, and a 15 sec video, people were disappointed because they didn't get a date.

My initial reaction was slight disappointment as well, but after thinking it over a few times I was content with the information we received yesterday. I think a big problem that forum users have is putting their first reactions out into the world too soon, without a second thought. It can really put a strain on the community as a whole.

I'm not saying that you're not allowed to be disappointed, not at all. It's not like people are going to agree on everything, and creating posts that explain why you hoped for more can be productive as well.

My only advice is to just think things over a little bit before posting an opinion.

The gurus didn't say there was a 'big announcement'. The guru said we were going to get a look at what was coming over the next couple of months. Everyone else said it was a 'big announcement'.

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Restaurants!!!! I need more info.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Good video @mirta000 :smile:

It does worry me that some people would rather complain all the time. I admit I have done that before but quite frankly, I got bored of that.

There is only so many times one can say 'OMG there is no toddlarz and the game is so jarring having babies go to children with no cars and leading screens and there is nothing to do!'

All that hate talk is getting old it is like flogging a dead horse now. I myself am not interested in the new content but I would much rather site here and let people be happy for the game than to join in with the hate talk and repeat the usual criticism time and time again.

Sadly it seems that the most popular videos are the ones about ranting. I done a rant video once and got a lot of views while when I did a lets play, no one was interested. I would rather people know me for my skills and the things I do in the game rather than be known as just another hater who complains all the time.

Keep up the good work and I will sub to your Youtube :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    I think the majority are pleased that now we will know about two packs or more every quarter. (Thats a positive thing)

What people are disappointed about is how short the video was. It was shorter than a normal teaser. It showed very very little.
    It should've showed at least more about restaurants.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    You made me remember that Game Packs add new Skills, hmmm, Chocolatier Skill? :o
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    FloofjeFloofje Posts: 181 Member
    I have the idea that people are just making it worse for themselves.
    Like someone posts and idea somewhere and 70% of the people here already see it as official and get disappointed/angry when a SimGuru tells them it's not happening (now).
    It makes me so upset because I have the feeling the SimGurus really want to tell us as much as possible, because when you've made something you are proud you want to tell everyone right? It's just that they are not allowed to do it, yet by EA. Can't do anything about that.

But they said that we would get teasers every 2-3 months so that actually makes me really happy! And I am really excited for the restaurant EP and the kids SP. Especially because I never played TS2, I never got to play active restaurants.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    I think the majority are pleased that now we will know about two packs or more every quarter. (Thats a positive thing)

What people are disappointed about is how short the video was. It was shorter than a normal teaser. It showed very very little.
    It should've showed at least more about restaurants.

The thing is these seasonal sneak peeks will not replace "normal teasers". We'll get those too in due time. This is in addition to everything we usually get (blog posts, longer promotional videos, etc). As you point out, this also means we'll not what's coming 2-3 months in advance and we'll have something to talk about earlier (as opposed to announcing the pack and releasing it 2 weeks later).
  • Options
    NiniNini Posts: 309 Member
    I am excited, I hope the restaurants work really well!
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    edited April 2016
    Negativity breeds negativity. I understand you feel like the wind has been taken out of your sails, and I'm sorry you feel that way (truly) -- but to go so far as to create a video to complain about Simmers? That's a whole new level of negativity and insult.

My suggestion would be to create your own thread to discuss your excitement -- or join one of the other ones that are already created.. and there was quite a bit of excited discussion yesterday. What's that saying? 'Be the change you want to see in the world.'

At the end of the day, if all you want to do is hop in to what's been described as the 'negative' threads, then that's on YOU, not the other customers of the game who are also expressing how they feel

The difference between them and you is that they aren't making it personal against their fellow simmers.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Sim_Lucent wrote: »
    Negativity breeds negativity. I understand you feel like the wind has been taken out of your sails, and I'm sorry you feel that way (truly) -- but to go so far as to create a video to complain about Simmers? That's a whole new level of negativity and insult.

My suggestion would be to create your own thread to discuss your excitement -- or join one of the other ones that are already created.. and there was quite a bit of excited discussion yesterday. What's that saying? 'Be the change you want to see in the world.'

At the end of the day, if all you want to do is hop in to what's been described as the 'negative' threads, then that's on YOU, not the other customers of the game who are also expressing how they feel

The difference between them and you is that they aren't making it personal against their fellow simmers.

You won't like my videos then, I have grilled a lot of people, but then again, anyone can do what they want on YouTube as long as it is within the Youtube ToS ;)

At the end of the day, all the OP did was share a video with their excitement and mention that it is a shame that others cannot also be excited. I a, not interested in the new content and I could very easily start a thread about how 'plum' the content looks and 'they are not listening' ect but you know what? I am done with all that hater nonsense, there are much better ways to go about things and I much rather be seen as a friendly face on the forums rather than the hater that I once was. :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    edited April 2016

You won't like my videos then, I have grilled a lot of people, but then again, anyone can do what they want on YouTube as long as it is within the Youtube ToS ;)

At the end of the day, all the OP did was share a video with their excitement and mention that it is a shame that others cannot also be excited. I a, not interested in the new content and I could very easily start a thread about how 'plum' the content looks and 'they are not listening' ect but you know what? I am done with all that hater nonsense, there are much better ways to go about things and I much rather be seen as a friendly face on the forums rather than the hater that I once was. :smile:

I have never followed your videos (not because of our disagreements, I just don't tend to follow Sim videos) but I certainly do not put it past our 'community savior' to grill people openly on his YouTube channel. The difference there, though? You keep it on YouTube -- and while mirta hasn't broken YT ToS, there is definitely a borderline of community attack she has within that video that very well could break the Forum's ToS.

And yep.. once again, the term 'hater' is used. If you want to be seen as a friendly face, I suggest you drop those type of insinuations and stop grouping people together, the way you do. But that's not for this topic.. that's something else entirely.

And for what it's worth.. I don't think the content looks 'plum.' I can't say I'm excited about it either.. more or less I'm waiting for more information, which I know will come eventually.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    RubeeSimsRubeeSims Posts: 560 Member
    I agree. The forums always bring me down with the negativity. It's just unnecessary, especially when we still don't know anything about the new packs so can't judge them right now.
    Tumblr
    Add me on Origin: rubeelovegood
  • Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    With the freedom of speech comes the power of freedom to ignore
    A forum is a place for everyone to express their opinions If you see a thread that is going to upset you don't read it
    Yes there is a lot of negativity here (come to the Aussie forum we are so happy there!!) but dont read those threads and skip over the haters posts. You'll save yourself an ulcer!
    All that said I believe as a loyal customer I have the right, nay the DUTY, to post my likes, dislikes ,hopes and dreams....and at the moment I'm a bit underwhelmed at the last snippet but remain hopeful and reserve judgement till release
    and if that upsets peoples that's their problem :p
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options

I have never followed your videos (not because of our disagreements, I just don't tend to follow Sim videos) but I certainly do not put it past our 'community savior' to grill people openly on his YouTube channel. The difference there, though? You keep it on YouTube -- and while mirta hasn't broken YT ToS, there is definitely a borderline of community attack she has within that video that very well could break the Forum's ToS.

And yep.. once again, the term 'hater' is used. If you want to be seen as a friendly face, I suggest you drop those type of insinuations and stop grouping people together, the way you do. But that's not for this topic.. that's something else entirely.

And for what it's worth.. I don't think the content looks 'plum.' I can't say I'm excited about it either.. more or less I'm waiting for more information, which I know will come eventually.

I do not group people together as I see us all as one, we are Simmers, nothing more, nothing less :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top