Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

☆☆ Sims 4 Quality Control Practice Challenges ☆☆

Comments

• cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    @steskens I'll take a look at yours tomorrow, but I already noticed that sadly the olives belong to the disappearing debug items.
    ccBcpyk.jpg
    Maybe you'll find another fitting item? Or use a fence instead, even if it looks less like a natural fire place it might look more modern.
    ccBcpyk.jpg
  • Amiejaidenalbie_1988Amiejaidenalbie_1988 Posts: 224 Member
    Thank you @crysk I think I spent more time checked that leaves weren't sticking through walls and the bigger boundary fence that I forgot the small border one. I can't explain the pool ladder though lol. I had tried the pool decor for the floor but couldn't find something I was happy with so gave up, I'll give it another go. Centering the bbq looks better too. Thank you very much for your time and feedback.
    Your landscaping looks great @steskens it's a shame about your olives!
    Thank you @crysk I think I spent more time checked that leaves weren't sticking through walls and the bigger boundary fence that I forgot the small border one. I can't explain the pool ladder though lol. I had tried the pool decor for the floor but couldn't find something I was happy with so gave up, I'll give it another go. Centering the bbq looks better too. Thank you very much for your time and feedback.

Actually, the pool ladder puzzled me as well lol. It shouldn't have been floating if you placed it normally.
    By hitting F5 right at the beginning of the building process might help to place items in a quarter of the tile (heck I can't explain this better @rosemow help?!) I did that to center the BBQ.

If you don't find a decor for the floor you like, you could always play around and great your own patterns. If you hit CTRL + F once when placing floors by tile you will get a smaller tile. It's great for creating your own patterns. Play around with the different possibilities.
    With that you can create intresting and creative floorings that are different from others.
    ccBcpyk.jpg
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Your landscaping work looks very nice! @Amiejaidenalbie_1988 :) The water fountain features look very nice on the edges of the building and the flowers look very pretty on the edges of the lot. Very nice outdoors dining, pool and bar patio! The sims will enjoy cooking meals on the BBQ there and eating them in the sunshine at the dining table. It is great that there is a bar stool ckuhter there also, for sims to enjoy sitting on the stools having a drink and a chat togther. The candles are nice touches on each end of the bar stool counter. The alternating candles and plants on the dining table gives a great look to the area! The sauces, paper towel and utensils are great cooking touches on the counter. Sims will enjoy listening to radio music whilst cooking and dining there. It looks nice that the hot tub is on the corner of the pool. Sims will enjoy sitting resting poolside on the sofa or arnchairs in the outdoors air. The candles are nice touches on the tables.
    The build looks very nice :)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Your landscaping work looks very nice! @steskens :) The fireplace that you have made looks great! The ground where the fireplace is looks nice. Sims will enjoy sitting around the fire chatting and keeping warm. Very nice trellis covered outdoors dining area! The hedging walls gives a very nice look to the area. The trellis outdoors living sofa seat sitting nook is very nice! Sims will enjoy resting there in the sunshine. The wall lights are great there, for sitting outdoors in evening time.
    The outdoors area looks very nice. :)
    Thanks @crysk I'll have a play around with the f5 button and creating my own pool floors. I knew about the ctrl f but never thought of using it in that way. And thank you @rosemow for your lovely review
  • chips46chips46 Posts: 3,655 Member
    You're doing a great job @crysk with @Cbear13
  • Cbear13Cbear13 Posts: 6,278 Member
    She is doing an amazing job thank you @crysk for all your help and support

Also would like to ask everyone if there is anything in particular you would like to work on that we can involve in the challenges? Can be absolutely anything
    New%20siggie%2011th%20Nov%2015.jpg
    ✦✦ Origin ID: cbear1313 ✦✦ Gallery: cbear1313 Gallery ✦✦ Cbear's Creations ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Practice Challenges ✦✦
  • popettypop2012popettypop2012 Posts: 1,318 Member
    @crysk thank you so much for your feedback and the gorgeous 'before' and 'after' pictures. Pictures are really worth a thousand words. Both you and @Cbear13 are doing a really wonderful thing with this thread. Thank you both:)
  • VioletRedVioletRed Posts: 261 Member
    edited April 2016
    @crysk This is great! Thank you! I'll implement all your suggestions and whatever Cbear can add. The stone texture in the pond really does make it more natural looking. For the trees in front...did you place it in the basement then use 9 to raise it???

@Cbear13 Off the bat, when we get to roofs I'd like to learn how to place dormer windows and to create accessible attic rooms.

Origin ID: Xieria
    @VioletRed I should be able to have a good look at your practice build bit later today
    Great suggestion to add to the challenges I will make sure we cover them at some point soon :) maybe not be in this challenge but possibly the next
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    @Cbear13 Looking forward to it! :smiley:
    @chips46 and @Cbear13 :blush: thank you

@VioletRed yep, I placed it in a basement room and raised it. I have this video about basement space usage for decoration
    ccBcpyk.jpg
    Well there goes my day of catching up lol my mum came over and ended up watching some movies but I have a mostly free day tomorrow to catch up hehe
    @crysk That is a awesome trick and with endless possibilities. Thanks! And great music background btw, it reminded me of music in historical or scifi/fantasy movies lol.
    edited April 2016
    @VioletRed feedback for Challenge 2 - Part 1
    QC Practice Challenge Z1

Hi VioletRed sorry its taken me a bit to get to your practice challenge, just remember that we may give some tips along the way how you can make it look different but that doesnt mean what you have done is wrong we just like to share ideas also, I will also give you feedback on where you might lose points as a judge for the comps so your aware of things to watch out for.

So for your landscaping first thing I noticed was the gate I love what you have used with the hedge fence and Trellins on the sides of the front yard really make the gate feel more suited.

When I do houses with fences all the way around I tend to delete all the terrain paint from outside the fence so that it blends with the land around it, I noticed your pictures are from a lot in Oasis Springs but Ive placed in another town where its surrounded by grass. The other benefit of just deleting everything on the outside is so that no matter where people place it in the world it will blend with its surroundings.

VioletRed%201.jpg

Also I hate to say this because to many people just decorate the gallery shot to get downloads and dont finish the build on the inside or places that can't be seen, but think of it this way. Your gallery shot sells your build to the public so make sure you make it look pretty, so dressing up the outside of the fence can help, even if minor decoration you dont have to go over the top.

And dont forget nightview I noticed there were next to no lights in your landscaping, this can really make your night view magical. They also help with some added decoration.

VioletRed%202.jpg

I love your little sitting areas with the Trellin's and you haven't done anything wrong with these but I can show you a way to dress them up a bit. Its something I will write a tutorial for because I use this alot but for yours I will explain how I have done it. It also gives a great curved corner on your fencing.

This is your before and after shots and I will explain how to do it after
    VioletRed3.jpg

Ok so here is how I make my raised areas
    This is for houses that have a foundation and seeing as this house foundation is low enough we don't need stairs.

So firstly to raise your fencing around a house so that it has a bit of foundation under it just simply start the fencing from the house it will build it with the foundation attached, just run it straight across to where your fence will be and then run your fence where ever you want it from there.

VioletRed%204.jpg

As you can see in the picture the fence coming from the house has the foundation under it as the fence that was already there doesn't. just simply go over the original fencing to get the new one.

For your corner raised area
    1. Place the curved patio
    2. Replace the outer fencing to match the fencing around the house

VioletRed%205.jpg

3. delete the rest of the fencing and join the hedge fencing together
    4. make the shape before placing anything, then add your floor covering, match the foundation covering with the one used on the rest of the fence and decorate your sitting area.

VioletRed%206.jpg

I noticed a few bare spots which could do with a little decoration and you dont have to go over the top just something to fill in a bit of space, also noticed I changed the color of the bird bath to white to match the gate as the pink didnt seem to match.

VioletRed%207.jpg

I love all the colorful flowers you used and that you used lots of different ones as it brightens up the lot. I think the backyard is great, there was a little bare area next to the table and chairs that you could of put a plant or something to decorate it just a little. The use of the different terrain paints is great and I agree with @crysk advice on using some of the earthly tones especially around and under flowers for a more natural look.
    I love the natural pond to swim in and as @crysk said adding floor and wall coverings to pools and ponds really polishes them off.

Be careful when placing rocks and plants as it looks a bit strange having flowers and leaves covering directly out of solid stone, you want it to look like they are growing out from underneath or cracks not out of the solid stone. Hold down the ALT button to move the items slightly away and to rotate to fit nicely. You can see plants sticking out of both the rocks in the picture on the left.

VioletRed%208.jpg

As @crysk has mentioned be careful with placement that nothing is sticking through other things like plants and walls

Dont forget the night view as I mentioned earlier, but also when you get to doing the exterior you can attach lights to it to shine over some of the garden, I usually leave this til last but it doubles as some decoration.
    A trick with garden beds and around ponds like yours is hide the flat pool light in the garden under the plants it will lighten the area but make sure the light is hidden

VioletRed%209.jpg

Other than that great job I love it and cant wait to see more from you.
    Post edited by Cbear13 on
    @Amiejaidenalbie_1988 feedback for Challenge 2 - Part 1
    QC Practice Challange

Very pretty, I love the white trims with colorful flowers. I realise you said you wanted to wait to do the front but you could of continued your theme with the flower beds. I would of set the boundary fence back one more tile so that you could put the flower beds with the white trim (sorry I didnt do example as it would of been quite a bit of work and Im sure you understand what I mean if not just ask hehe).
    From the next challenge we will be changing things around so landscaping is last.

I will try not to cover anything @crysk already has
    One thing I will say is I seem to do really well at building modern style (just not so great at everything else haha) but its all about clean and sleek, though some people mistake clean for empty and thats not the case you can decorate just make sure its more manicured and organised.

Instead of using the terrian paint here you could go with using a floor covering to make it more defined or use the harsher brush terrain paint.
    Also I felt some of the front was a bit bare like up against the shell on the right I know it will look better when exterior is done but you can change things later if it doesnt suit the challenges are about decorating.
    Also using things to line the paths here and there can really break things up, I enlarged some pot plants for your entrance though you can use other things like rocks, plants or anything that goes with your theme.

Before shot:
    Amiejaiden%202.jpg

After shots first with terrain paint and 2nd with floor tiles:

Amiejaiden%201.jpg

Its a bit hard to do feedback if something is unfinished so remember you can always change things later as this isn't a comp.

I love the back with the pool and large decking and your little seating areas, one thing I did notice is the large deck with the bar seems overly large with the flooring and it made it look a bit bare, you can dress it up or put some decoration in the bare spots.

With the theme you have gone with, with the white trim and the tree in the front I thought this was an easy way to break up the space

Amiejaiden%203.jpg

My suggestion here is when your finished your build always go back and look for bare spaces and add more decoration, I always say when you think your finished go back and decorate some more before saving lol.

Lastly the pool, I do agree with @crysk there is no harm in decorating inside the pool with creations of your own or decorations from in game, with your pool though one thing that really looked out of place is the trim. Since everything has a white trim I felt adding a white trim to your pool matches everything.

Amiejaiden%204.jpg

Cant wait to see this one finished I love my modern styles and I think you are doing a wonderful job. :)
    @steskens feedback for Challenge 2 - Part 1
    QCPractice CH2 P1

Ok first thing I noticed is great terrain paint creativity, I love your windy paths and the use of more than one paint well done.
    I would of probably put some kind of decoration in the bare spots at the very front
    And while trees are great sometimes they can be a bit over powering on the house and this one covered your pathway maybe a smaller tree would compliment the place a bit better

steskens%201.jpg

Gorgeous night view and will look even more spectacular once the exterior is done with some lights there well done I must say Ive seen so much improvement from you since you first entered a comp.
    Great use of different flowers that go well together in the flowerbeds.

You have mastered the patio lattice roofing hehe and they look wonderful, not to over the top but creative and pretty.

Now this maybe a personal preference of mine because I am way to picky for my own good lol but I think with the foundation being so low the stairs added here look a bit strange and looks much cleaner without them.

steskens%202.jpg

I love the back patios and lattice roofing over the bbq area and the pool very creative and I am loving seeing you great really involved with the creativity. One thing I would suggest with the roofing is to match them put the same decoration on the roof of the pool as you did with the bbq area and still add a ceiling light as it lights it up and looks great at night.
    Also I noticed you used a trim on the lattice roofing on the front and you didn't on these back ones to make it flow nicely I also added the trim aswell. The trim really polishes these types of rooves off as it covers the joins with the columns.

steskens%203.jpg

steskens%204.jpg

Also I think this is a pet peeve of mine but I just think it is a really simple way to add some character to tables is to add some table decoration, like the bowl of fruit of a colorful plant pot, I think it would of just topped off your bbq area perfectly.

Fantastic mix of fencing with the green shrubs and the glass fencing it really adds color and character to this back yard. I love the triangular corners made with the hedge fencing very creative.

The only other things I can mention is the left side of the build looks bare just having terrain paint and no decoration and maybe you could of added some decoration to the side of the path on the left side, or even adding a boundary fence though I wouldnt have put it all the way around maybe stopped where the house shell started.

Here is a picture of an example for fencing this I dont think you want to enclose the front as your pathing looks amazing, also zooming out like this you see where the bare areas could use a little something like on the left down near where the path bends to go towards the back gate and of course as i said the right side of the house.

steskens%205.jpg

In any case try add a bit of something on the right side as there was no decoration there at all.

Oh and i love the self made fire pit like @crysk does it looks amazing.
    Cant wait to see what you do with this next
    Have I missed anyone thats wanting feedback on either challenge? Ive been trying to get caught up before posting ch2 part 2. Let me know if I have missed anyones and I will get it done asap (sorry if I have).

Also for everyone I am going to add a little form (similar to the entry forms on the challenges) just so I can keep track of the posts and also because I would like you to add which lot you built on as it may stop some moving and dropping issues when we check it out. I will put the link to the maps so you can get lot names to help on the challenge post.
    Thank you for the feedback @Cbear13 I love all your tips. I nearly did a floor tile path but changed it again to get my 3 terrains in
    Yeah its only because you are going with modern style that I think the path will suit better being very clean and crisp
    I'll make the edits when we start part 2. I like your idea of trees on the patio too

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top